The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I think those exist, actually, though I'm blanking on brand names. @calica might know...
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Tile is the one I have, though it has a hole in it for keychains rather than an adhesive.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Limes.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    melons
  • Also sup
    supple
    (2015 self)
    Supper.
  • Three games I’m excited for over the coming months:Fire Emblem Three Houses, Pokemon Sword/Shield, and Tales Of Arise.

They are all JRPGs.

I have a problem.

A problem that my bank account isn’t big enough.
    How much are games these days?

I ask, as someone who doesn't buy games
  • expensive

thank god they’re not all released at the same time
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    *sleeps on the floor of the thread*
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

*sleeps on the floor of the thread*

hi
    careful not to step on the ferret
  • edited 2019-06-17 23:18:03
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    Just wait twenty years, and then you can buy it for a dollar at a yard sale.  That's how I got SimCity.
  • Time machines would so turn like every other economic principle inside-out.
    My self of 25 years ago would have been in absolute awe of the possibility of having every NES, SNES and Genesis game on my computer....but that's what I have now.
    (2015 self)
    Neat, I'd like to have all of those games on a computer.  How do I get them?
    Not legally, but Google is your friend in this case.
  • you can legally have them on your computer, by buying all the cartridges and putting them in a box and then putting the box on your computer.

I'm not sure the computer would be usable after that though
    (2015 self)

Not legally, but Google is your friend in this case.

I'll stop you right there, I ain't criminal scum.
    I won't pay no court no fine, nor serve no sentence.
    My non-stolen games will not be forfeit!
    This is probably a reference I'm not getting.
  • This is probably a reference I'm not getting.

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion

The game with the So Awful It’s Hilarious character creation

• before usedness to being an adventurer like you, there was stopping criminal scum right there
  • also back in the day, games were the size of entire british isles
  • ...you know, it's sort of stunning how much i know about games i have never played
    oh
  • I played a bit of Oblivion, and my character is a Goth(TM) archer who's out for blood. 

Not unlike my Skyrim character, who is a pyschotic mage who's out for blood. 
  • edited 2019-06-20 23:44:42
    (2015 self)

also back in the day, games were the size of entire british isles

That's Daggerfall you're thinking of.  Oblivion is much smaller.  And I think that Daggerfall might be, like, 60-90 percent as many square miles as the British Isles (at least from my dimly remembered internet searches from 2018)

I don't think anybody ever detailed a game world as big as what you're suggesting without procedural generation or other random-generation stuff.  That's like, Idaho big (well, Idaho-in-silhouette.  Actual Idaho is three-dimensional, and if its hills and mountains were flattened so as to make it flat, then it'd be bigger than any of the continental 48 if they were flattened).
  • Aliroz said:

also back in the day, games were the size of entire british isles

That's Daggerfall you're thinking of.  Oblivion is much smaller.  And I think that Daggerfall might be, like, 60-90 percent as many square miles as the British Isles (at least from my dimly remembered internet searches from 2018)

I don't think anybody ever detailed a game world as big as what you're suggesting without procedural generation or other random-generation stuff.  That's like, Idaho big (well, Idaho-in-silhouette.  Actual Idaho is three-dimensional, and if its hills and mountains were flattened so as to make it flat, then it'd be bigger than any of the continental 48 if they were flattened).

Yeah, I was riffing on Daggerfall.

I don't think all of that area is actually filled with as meaningful landscape as the British Isles in real life have, though, of course.
  • edited 2019-06-21 01:03:27
    (2015 self)
    Well, that would have simply been impossible with the technology they were making Daggerfall with, in the time it took them to make Daggerfall.

As is, Daggerfall is still remarkable as a technical achievement and as a pile of bugs.  My favorite description of it is something along the lines of "I think the creators had a time-travelled vision of Skyrim, and then they made a cargo-cult version with more moving parts than the real thing".
    Idaho makes me think of potatoes and Jumpingzombie.
  • Speaking of games based on the British Isles, how about that new Pokemon game?
  • IJBM: when my credit card expires, the bank mails me a new one. Aside from the security code and expiry date, all the information is identical to the old one. Why then does every website that has my credit card info saved insist that I re-enter everything rather than just updating what's changed?

I'm half expecting the answer to be "well, in the US you get a new credit card number and also a new name and address when your card expires, so they designed the system with that in mind".
  • > in the US
    > also get a new name when your card expires

lolwut

But yeah the real answer is the security code and expiry date.
    I mean, usually you get a new number in the US but also most of my new cards have been after fraud happened so
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Calica said:

I mean, usually you get a new number in the US but also most of my new cards have been after fraud happened so

I think this is something they specifically do in cases of fraud. When your card just expires, you generally get the same number, but a new security code and (obviously) new expiration date.

To answer Lucy's question, I think it's just a matter of developers taking a shortcut, because I have seen at least one website that recognized a stored card had expired and asked me to update the relevant information, so it can be done, clearly. It just seems most developers choose not to implement that feature, perhaps because credit/debit cards expire so infrequently that they don't think it's worth the time saved for the end user.
  • Calica said:

I think this is something they specifically do in cases of fraud. When your card just expires, you generally get the same number, but a new security code and (obviously) new expiration date.
    Can vouch for this.

Got a replacement card; no card number change, just security code and expiration date change.

Then got another replacement card shortly after that, after being informed that I had used the card at a potentially compromised merchant.  (They never even told me who said merchant was.)
    One of my pet peeves is websites that will attempt to automatically add spacing to a credit card number, but assume that all credit card numbers should be split into groupings of four digits.

So you'll go to enter an American Express card number and it'll format it as:
    3714 4963 5398 431

When it should actually be:
    3714 496353 98431

If you're going to add smart spacing, at least go to the effort to recognize what kind of card number is being entered and apply the appropriate spacing for that kind of card number!

(For those who are worried, that's not a real card number. I Googled a list of fake but algorithmically valid credit card numbers used for testing software.)
  • edited 2019-06-23 21:30:11
    clearly the proper spacing is 37144 96353 98431 or 371 449 635 398 431
  • To answer Lucy's question, I think it's just a matter of developers taking a shortcut, because I have seen at least one website that recognized a stored card had expired and asked me to update the relevant information, so it can be done, clearly. It just seems most developers choose not to implement that feature, perhaps because credit/debit cards expire so infrequently that they don't think it's worth the time saved for the end user.

See the thing that's annoying is, sure the card only expires every few years, but there are a whole lot of places to update each time.

(My card actually expired months ago but my domain registrar didn't bug me until renewal was coming up. Also given that it auto renews and I rarely need to touch it otherwise, updating my card info is probably a quite large fraction of my interactions with them.)

To answer Lucy's question, I think it's just a matter of developers taking a shortcut, because I have seen at least one website that recognized a stored card had expired and asked me to update the relevant information, so it can be done, clearly. It just seems most developers choose not to implement that feature, perhaps because credit/debit cards expire so infrequently that they don't think it's worth the time saved for the end user.

See the thing that's annoying is, sure the card only expires every few years, but there are a whole lot of places to update each time. 
    This is the kind of thing that (a) makes perfect sense and (b) a lot of developers probably wouldn't think about unless it was explicitly pointed out to them.

They think "they'll only have to do this every three years, why does it matter?" and totally miss that you'll have to do it dozens of times. It's the equivalent of the professor who assigns an extra bit of reading not realizing that your professors in all your other classes are also assigning an extra bit of reading thinking they're the only one doing it.
    melons
    Ultimatum said:

lemons

LEMON ENERGY

melons
    MELON ENERGY