The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I'm liking SSBU a lot myself. I signed up for Nintendo Switch Online so I can play with the Anonus girl, and eventually, when she gets her own copy, my sister. ^_^
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Smash seems to be popular with a lot of folks in the wider heapersphere
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...

Smash seems to be popular with a lot of folks in the wider heapersphere

I pretty much just enjoy it vicariously, lol.
    Well, I haven't played it at all
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Oh same.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Maybe if Anonus/Centie/Imicow 2019 actually happens the three of us could play it together

Technically the Nintendo Switch doesn't require a TV
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I enjoy Melee and Brawl on the Wii, but have only played Smash 4 once and have never played Smash Ultimate.

Also ^ would be a great idea.
    we could play it on my mom's TV, which is really freaking huge
    An excellent idea, assuming one of us brings along a Switch dock!
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    how huge
    huge enough for you.
    good
  • edited 2019-01-16 07:03:14
    i've played a decent amount of melee, a little original, a tiny bit of brawl, and that's it

i don't hate it, but getting good at it requires a level of mastery i'm not really willing to commit myself to acquiring.

the newer games have characters i might be more interested to play for flavor reasons, but i am not sure i'd be most comfortable with their playstyles.
    how so
  • edited 2019-01-16 17:14:34
    When I started playing Smash, I figured I'd play Samus, since she's from the source franchise I'm the most attached to.

I ended up playing Pikachu, because he matched my playstyle a lot better, which involves running away and being unpredictable.  Having a double-aimable recovery jump really helps.

I also learned to play Mr. Game & Watch, partly because no one played him, and I achieved some early success by being unpredictable due to being a newbie, but later "got worse" at it probably because my moves became more predictable to my opponents.

In the current Smash Ultimate roster, I'm interested in playing Duck Hunt, Inkling, Dedede, K. Rool, Lucina, Mega Man, Mr. Game & Watch, Palutena, Pikachu, Piranha Plant, Ridley, Samus, Simon, Villager, Wario, and Wolf.  Maybe also Wii Fit Trainer and R.O.B..

I have no idea whether any of these will fit my playstyle, aside from Pikachu and G&W.  If I actually have the game I might even develop a different playstyle too.

FWIW, meanwhile in 100% Orange Juice, I basically main no one, intentionally.  But in Team Fortress 2, I main Heavy and Medic, with Scout, Pyro, and Engineer on the side.
  • edited 2019-01-20 15:35:41
    ಠ_ಠ
    I play as Robin, because Fire Emblem Awakening is the sole reason I bought a 3DS.

Anyway, I bought myself a pair of size 18 (UK size) skinny jeans, only for them to swamp me. I normally wear size 16, but the size 16 looked too small. There wasn’t even a dressing room for me to try them on.

Gah, stupid awkward body shapes.

I’ll return them tomorrow after work.
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    Hi
    "swamp me" is a phrase I haven't seen before
  • edited 2019-01-20 18:46:09
    ಠ_ಠ

"swamp me" is a phrase I haven't seen before

It's a phrase I picked up from my parents. It basically means that clothes are too big. 

EDIT: I went on Urban Dictionary to see if there was a definition for it, but no. There isn't. And I also never want to see the word "swag" ever again. 

Or "swamp dick". 
    One should really never go on Urban Dictionary at all
    Do people stil use "s**g"? I thought this wasn't 2012 anymore
    We live in a world where frickin' Soulja Boy is somehow relevant again. Anything is possible.
  • my usual usage of "swag" refers to the random branded freebie trinkets one can get at booths during events like career fairs and professional conferences

the usual full phrase is e.g. "career fair swag"
  • I keep navigating here by accident: https://www.hea.net/
    Buzz Aldrin's mother's maiden name was Moon, which is one of those coincidences that, like...if it occurred in fiction, you'd get annoyed with the writer for being too unsubtle.
  • edited 2019-01-29 04:37:08

Buzz Aldrin's mother's maiden name was Moon, which is one of those coincidences that, like...if it occurred in fiction, you'd get annoyed with the writer for being too unsubtle.

True, though the fact that it occurs in real life just shows that it should be legit in fiction as well.

More accurately, though, it's honestly less about "whether it happens" than "how much it happens".  So if you have both examples and counterexamples in a work of fiction, seemingly randomly distributed, and using names that are themselves naturally plausible within the setting, that should be pretty legit.

This sort of thing is something I'd see and say "well that's a realistic touch in the setting/worldbuilding".
  • I'm reminded of that wolf meme on imgur named Moon Moon
    Moon Unit
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god

True, though the fact that it occurs in real life just shows that it should be legit in fiction as well.

More accurately, though, it's honestly less about "whether it happens" than "how much it happens".  So if you have both examples and counterexamples in a work of fiction, seemingly randomly distributed, and using names that are themselves naturally plausible within the setting, that should be pretty legit.

This sort of thing is something I'd see and say "well that's a realistic touch in the setting/worldbuilding".
    It seems like a suspension of disbelief sort of thing. Although in real life it would be a coincidence, it's hard to forget while reading that an author deliberately chose that name in a book. It's never truly random in a novel. 
  • Wandered into the kitchen to get a snack, thought "huh, I thought there were potato chips left but I guess I finished them". Ate some crackers, then opened the fridge to get some water from the brita...and found the potato chips.

why this, past me
  • So I may have ripped some scabs off my face.

Turns out that the face bleeds a lot.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Head wounds in general bleed a whole bunch. Nothing to worry about if it's small like that, though.
    ah, good ol' facebleed
    I chime in with a haven't you people ever heard of closing a goddamn door
  • GUYS

THIS IS NOT A DRILL

I'M TALKING TO A GIRL

WHO LIKES ME
    nice, I've done that before
  • i spoke to a girl twice even
    good, good
  • Salutations, introductions, accusations, and death threats!
  • ...not this thread but whatever.
    (2015 self)
    Vriska said:

...not this thread but whatever.

???
    Nonsense, this is a perfect thread for accusations and death threats.
  • It was a thing.

Anyway yes.

Salutations, introductions. accusations, and death threats.
  • FWIW, the reason I have a sideways duck as an avatar, is because I was gonna upload this photo of a duck that I had taken, but then when I uploaded it the photo was sideways, even though it showed up properly on my local machine.

So I decided to just run with it.
    commence duck rotation

commence duck rotation

(2015 self)
    Anonus said:

commence duck rotation