The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    was it Toe in the Mail
  • The Big Lebowski, kinda
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Hexartes said:

The Big Lebowski, kinda

• For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Okay, it's just me, then.

For some reason I was convinced that the toe-in-the-mail bit came from Fargo. Which I finally got around to watching last night. Was surprised at the lack of severed toes.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Can you believe it's December already??
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Actually, I think you'll find it's Decovember.
    December, which, as its name suggests, is the tenth month of the year.
  • December, which, as its name suggests, is the tenth month of the year.

honestly if it were then we could class winter as ending at the end of the year

with february
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Things that fucked me up: finding out other countries spell "installment" as "instalment"
  • Round at the boyfriend’s flat for the weekend.

It’s fuckin freezing.
  • Huh, the heap fell to the second page.
  • There's something really interesting about the gradual slide into most activity here being centered on personal threads. I feel like you could build a larger forum around that very concept.

...which is essentially social media in a nutshell, but I feel like a forum split into categories of personal thread/public thread *would* provide a unique social environment.
    moo
  • edited 2017-12-04 02:23:47
    Unrelated: got mad at capitalism again recently lads

why

because I thought about how much money is spent on remodeling every motherfucking perfectly good McDonald's and how little good it does in the grand scheme of things, especially when one considers how much good that money could do applied elsewhere, and then realized how much money is just WASTED like that, lads
    Do most forums even have a concept of a "personal thread" the way we do?
  • I do not think so
    Hexartes said:

Unrelated: got mad at capitalism again recently lads

why

because I thought about how much money is spent on remodeling every motherfucking perfectly good McDonald's and how little good it does in the grand scheme of things, especially when one considers how much good that money could do applied elsewhere, and then realized how much money is just WASTED like that, lads

making franchisees remodel things is actually how McDonald's Corporate makes a good chunk of their money
  • Do most forums even have a concept of a "personal thread" the way we do?

I don't think it would really work on a bigger forum tbh.
  • That doesn't make it less bullshit.
  • edited 2017-12-04 02:43:00

Doubt it.

It's a niche mostly filled by social media, but I think the unique atmosphere we have here because of the personal threads is something that could translate to a bigger forum.

Edit: which is something I said before I saw Lucy's comment, so would now like to add, FUCK YOU LUCY IM RIGHT
  • Hexartes said:

That doesn't make it less bullshit.

it does not
  • edited 2017-12-04 03:07:40
    Hexartes said:

Doubt it.

It's a niche mostly filled by social media, but I think the unique atmosphere we have here because of the personal threads is something that could translate to a bigger forum.

Edit: which is something I said before I saw Lucy's comment, so would now like to add, FUCK YOU LUCY IM RIGHT
    I could be wrong I guess but it seems like there's not much reason why you'd check someone's personal thread unless you already know them or at least know enough to want to get to know them better?

(Whereas on a small enough forum, "want to get to know them better" can be the default reaction to anyone you don't know well.)

I dunno, I feel like most large forums have like a small portion of the members who are very prominent and make lots of posts and everyone recognizes, and then the other 95% are one step above being anonymous randos as far as everyone else is concerned? And I feel like if you're in the latter category nobody reads your personal thread, so you might as well not even have one, and the thing collapses.
  • Personal threads are actually a thing on the forums at The Allspark (a Transformers fan site), but I think they're mainly just used for posting "these are cool pictures I found or this is fan-type stuff that I am paying attention to or media opinions I have".  They're not private, as far as I know.  Though people DO comment on them and keep up with them and get to know each other that way.
  • hey I used to have an account there

long inactive, though
  • Naas (an IJBM mod who isn't on HH) is on there.  fourteenwings later joined him there I think.

I also have an account there and I made such a thread but I otherwise didn't do much with it.

It was basically just a silly AMA thread.

I didn't stay mostly because, well, i'm not really a Transformers fan, so I kinda felt out-of-place.
  • I made a personal thread that like, only I used because no one else posted on it.

So we have that.
  • Jane said:

sunn wolf said:

HOw yall doin. been a while

i leave taiwan pprobably for good in 8 days. im going to some places in asia and already excited at the prospect of dying in a cambodian gutter
    heyyyyyyyyyy it's sun

I'm probably movin to chicago next year

other than that not much has changed
    Yo nice. chicago is cool i think, i have 1 or 2 friends there. i always think of u as the Pennsylvania person gonna b weird when you’re not there

sunn wolf said:

HOw yall doin. been a while

i leave taiwan pprobably for good in 8 days. im going to some places in asia and already excited at the prospect of dying in a cambodian gutter
    YO.

Annoy me on Twitter more, ya jerk. :P
    sorry can’t right now cos im in china and twitter is Blocked™️

China is pretty cool. right now i am way out in rural jiangxi and pretty much the only white guy in this whole county so everywhere i go people are looking at me like i come from another planet. however the ancient villages are chill and also jiangxi food is really good

sunn
    Funny rejected spambot:

Texanburrito () Mon 04 Dec 2017 01:50:54 PM
    Forum community
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    forum community
  • hey, Mail.com, the same Extremely Reliable web service I use for my paypal transactions
  • boo internet blocking

but touristy stuff in China is cool
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Crystal said:

forum community

• I like butritos you should have let him in
  • Moderators where is the name change thread I have long since unpinned it but I need it now.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    this doesn't merit a thread so uh:

What makes Fox better than The WB?
  • kill living beings
    their network of heavily armored redoubts, and doctrine very effective at reducing civilian casualties.
    thrash metal
  • I've done it

Successfully pulled a 5 hour shift in which I have done precisely no work whatsoever
    Congrats
    Cool things about LED lighting: the lights on this Christmas tree can switch between multicolored and all-white with the press of a button.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    LED lighting is cold and overbright and soulless.

I DEMAND WARMTH.

WHAT IS THIS FALSE FLAME.
    Older LED lighting was cold and harsh, but as the technology has been further refined, they've come much, much closer to a decent approximation of incandescent lighting.
    the sun or nothing
  • Just got in from work.

Highlight of my shift was listening to grown men in their thirties arguing over what is the best Christmas song.
    we just had a thread like that.
  • Blech, I woke up this morning and the milk had gone off. And when I say "gone off", I mean extremely gone off, like it was basically solid. Which is rather strange, given that the milk was 100% completely fine yesterday evening, and its expiry date was over a week away.

Also stuff in the fridge still seemed to be cold so I don't think I left the door open or anything, but maybe that's just because it's cold out. Either way I'm going to be paranoid that my fridge doesn't work for the rest of time so that's cool.
    well, technically, if the fridge doesn't work, it's not cool.