The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    ...wow
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    fucking incredible
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I forgot about this

And before you ask: all it was hooked up to was a plain antenna
  • 8bitguy and Dimebag Darrel are related??????

that's the most, just, random as shit celebrity connection I've ever heard of.
    I never woulda thunk it.
  • Greetings

I am on a ferry
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Hi to all the existent heap peeps
    Jane said:

as for me, still pretty sad most of the time. Lost my cat of however many years (20ish) not too long ago so I've been dealing with that + the usual things. I've been here less cuz I mod a fairly large Discord server now

I'm glad to see you again Tachyon. I hope things are going well
    i'm really sorry about your cat, @Jane.  Was that Onyx?

What's the Discord server?  Sorry if you told me that before and i forgot.  And yeah i'm fine, standard tachyon really. ka-shrug

Odradek said:

Her name is Luna

here she is dry

Luna!  Has she tried to convince you to become a sailor soldier yet, @Odradek?
    Crystal said:

Tachyon said:

also yeah i'm fine thanks, still making burgers and stuff

how is everyone?
    I missed youuuuu.

I'm doing better, I think, though summer classes are a drag.
    Aw, sorry @Crystal.  Glad to hear you're doing better.

What summer classes are you taking?  And what else have you been up to?

Alduin said:

welcome back, tachyon!

Despite Duterte, I'm doing great.
    Thanks, @Alduin!  Glad you're doing great.  What have you been up to?

@Tamlin Did you draw your avatar, or was that another art trade? i like it.

i feel like that episode was off the wall even compared to most of the Nanami-centric episodes which is saying a lot
  • Tachyon said:

Hi to all the existent heap peeps

Jane said:

as for me, still pretty sad most of the time. Lost my cat of however many years (20ish) not too long ago so I've been dealing with that + the usual things. I've been here less cuz I mod a fairly large Discord server now

I'm glad to see you again Tachyon. I hope things are going well
    i'm really sorry about your cat, @Jane.  Was that Onyx?
    yeah
    Tachyon said:

What's the Discord server?  Sorry if you told me that before and i forgot.  And yeah i'm fine, standard tachyon really. ka-shrug
    the Studio TRIGGER fan server. Been around for a few months now and steadily growing.
  • edited 2017-08-05 15:12:03
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    Hi Tach!

I haven't been doing much this summer, although I've finally gotten around to watching some stuff that I've been putting off forever, like Twin Peaks and Regular Show.
  • kill living beings
    wapo said:

Uber's search for a female CEO has been narrowed down to three men

this is a triumph of headline writing
    Studio TRIGGER, huh?  that reminds me i really liked LWA and it's thanks to you i started watching it, so thank you

(and i was meaning to write a thing about the ending and how i feel it contrasts favourably with a similar thing in doctor who although i guess that's probably not of interest to you)

anyway, good for you, that's a cool thing to be doing

Hi Section

i also got around to watching some stuff i've been meaning to, namely Adolescence of Utena and Madoka: Rebellion, and i started a Batman: TAS rewatch

wapo said:

Uber's search for a female CEO has been narrowed down to three men

this is a triumph of headline writing
    it is
  • Tachyon said:

(and i was meaning to write a thing about the ending and how i feel it contrasts favourably with a similar thing in doctor who although i guess that's probably not of interest to you)

it's of interest to me at least
    cool, noted

i'll probably write it in my personal thread if i can dig that up
    that's Kex, right?

hi, how are you?
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Tachyon said:

Hi Section

i also got around to watching some stuff i've been meaning to, namely Adolescence of Utena and Madoka: Rebellion, and i started a Batman: TAS rewatch
    Nice!

How did you like Rebellion, out of curiousity?

I'm seemingly one of the few who thinks it actually is a fitting extension of the original anime.
  • Tachyon said:

that's Kex, right?

hi, how are you?
    I am alright! Newest developments in my life are... mostly personal boring adult stuff like seeing a psychiatrist, so they don't really give much to talk about. At least, not on the public threads.
    mixed feelings, tbh

my brother really liked it, he hated the ending of the original show and felt Rebellion provided some much-needed closure

i felt there was something disturbing about the ultimate fate of the incubators, fuckers though they are, mainly because of where this leaves Homura.  also that she put her own happiness ahead of Madoka's which i felt contrasted with her more noble role in the series

that said i thought it was a very good movie, i liked it visually and i found the plot interesting

not sure what to make of Charlotte as the girl obsessed w/ cheese, they were having a laugh with that i think
  • Tachyon said:

Studio TRIGGER, huh?  that reminds me i really liked LWA and it's thanks to you i started watching it, so thank you

anyway, good for you, that's a cool thing to be doing

kind of a lull in actual TRIGGER-related server activity recently since we're waiting on their three upcoming shows (DARLING in The FRANKXX with A-1 Pictures, Gridman, and Promare, which seems to star a guy with a mohawk and a giant firecracker for a weapon) but it's been a fun time nonetheless.

also I'd be interested in reading that (and so would the server probably)
    Hexartes said:

Tachyon said:

that's Kex, right?

hi, how are you?
    I am alright! Newest developments in my life are... mostly personal boring adult stuff like seeing a psychiatrist, so they don't really give much to talk about. At least, not on the public threads.
    ah fair.  boring adult stuff is a cross we must all bear

glad you're alright
  • edited 2017-08-05 15:34:56
    I agree with your brother then, I think. Interesting.

Also, it seems like the cheese thing was part of her wish, weirdly.
    @Jane y'know i didn't actually realize TRIGGER were so busy

and ah, thanks

in that case i will need to take some time to organize my thoughts on this and then i will write this thing.

@Section42L see i actually liked the original ending (one of very, very few series endings i have really loved, actually)

although it was nice to have some elaboration on the law of cycles and stuff, and seeing Madoka & Sayaka alive, conscious and happy confirmed one of my more optimistic theories about it
    I don't hate the original ending. It just started to seem kinda hollow on a rewatch.

I usually prefer happy endings myself, so I'm kinda confused by that.
    moo
    well i feel like which is the happier ending is sort of up for debate?

i mean incubators aside, Rebellion's ending seemed kind of positive for most people, and in that sense happier arguably

it was nice to see Sayaka seems to have grown as a person and moved past her original trauma, vs the series in which the best she got was the hint of a possibility of a peaceful afterlife
    Tachyon why are you still a pumpkin
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    You can't just ask why someone's still a pumpkin!
    because my prince hasn't returned my slipper probably

i see you still a cowgirl
    tbh idk how i'd feel about the original madoka ending if i were to rewatch it

like, i know not everyone felt this way but i found the series unusually emotionally intense.  partly it's that way by design, obviously, but at the time i was in a really bad place emotionally and something about that ending really struck a chord with me in a way that was quite unexpected, i felt elated afterwards which was a really strange, unfamiliar feeling.

it's possible if i saw it again it would feel sort of flat.  i dunno.
  • edited 2017-08-05 16:17:21
    ^^ Interesting.

Actually, I think the Rebellion ending is happier for all the "good" characters (which I do count Homura as being) except Madoka, which had to be intentional.

• Tachyon said:

Alduin said:

welcome back, tachyon!

Despite Duterte, I'm doing great.
    Thanks, @Alduin!  Glad you're doing great.  What have you been up to?

Nothing, mostly. Just trying to make my way in an increasingly volatile world, writing political stuff and other miscellany.
    yeah that's it exactly

it's kind of twisted but if it wasn't it wouldn't really be madoka now would it
    increasingly volatile is right, yeah
    I'm sorry if that was a rude question
  • kill living beings
    fuckin

life

is hard
    There is a very real subtext of
    the original ending being Madoka basically just running away from her problems
    that could well be picked up on in any future Madoka media.
  • Tachyon said:

@Jane y'know i didn't actually realize TRIGGER were so busy

and ah, thanks

in that case i will need to take some time to organize my thoughts on this and then i will write this thing.

@Section42L see i actually liked the original ending (one of very, very few series endings i have really loved, actually)

although it was nice to have some elaboration on the law of cycles and stuff, and seeing Madoka & Sayaka alive, conscious and happy confirmed one of my more optimistic theories about it
    they never have been before. People were pretty shocked that they announced 3 new anime at Ax this year.

it probably helps that all three are co-productions. You might know A-1 from their work on Literally Every Anime Ever Made and Promare is being helped with by some game company I've never heard of. I forget who's co-sponsoring Gridman but someone is.

• No, see, this bothers me because the analogy's not good. That'd be like the guy talking about Romance of the Three Kingdoms or the Tale of Genji.

Actual reverse weeb-ism would be more like

"WHOA, JUDGE DREDD IS SO AWESOME"

"DID YOU KNOW I'VE READ EVERY NEIL GAIMAN NOVEL EVER PUBLISHED"

"I'M A DIE-HARD CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY FANATIC"

i can see it but i don't really agree?  idk maybe i missed something that would tip me more towards that reading, as it was i felt her actions were more straightforwardly an act of self-sacrifice, given she seemed to destroy herself in the process and while the world wasn't fixed you'd have to concede it was better than it had been
    Jane said:

they never have been before. People were pretty shocked that they announced 3 new anime at Ax this year.

it probably helps that all three are co-productions. You might know A-1 from their work on Literally Every Anime Ever Made and Promare is being helped with by some game company I've never heard of. I forget who's co-sponsoring Gridman but someone is.

ah, this is cool

i'm seriously out of the loop on what's going on in anime atm

offhand i didn't know who A-1 were but i see they did Fairy Tail (which i liked) and SAO (which i did not like)

as a pitch i feel 'guy w/ mohawk wields a giant firecracker' has serious potential at least
    Tachyon said:

i can see it but i don't really agree?  idk maybe i missed something that would tip me more towards that reading, as it was i felt her actions were more straightforwardly an act of self-sacrifice, given she seemed to destroy herself in the process and while the world wasn't fixed you'd have to concede it was better than it had been
    I think that makes more sense than the way I was phrasing it.

Basically, I was going for how it feels like Madoka didn't really seem to take notice of how her friends would feel about what she did. Self-sacrifice is a better way of putting that.
  • TreTre
    edited 2017-08-05 16:38:09
    Hey Tach!

recently I've been making strides with the whole journalism student thing -- I just came off of an internship with a local TV station in my hometown, and when I go back to school the student paper wants me to talk with them about being an editor on the staff there!

I also started my own Discord server, though unlike Jane's, mine is just a general purpose chat thing for my friends and I

good to have you back around these parts
    wouldn't reverse weebism be, like, inserting English words and phrases into otherwise Japanese-language series and songs despite the existence of perfectly good Japanese equivalents, and dropping references to American pop culture all the time?

and that's not really unusual
  • I too started a Discord chat with my friends. We never use it.

I've also been doing some political writing. I even got published! Once.

Tachyon said:

I think that makes more sense than the way I was phrasing it.

Basically, I was going for how it feels like Madoka didn't really seem to take notice of how her friends would feel about what she did. Self-sacrifice is a better way of putting that.
    right, which is why Homura did what she did, yeah.  Madoka didn't take her feelings into account.

definitely get where you're coming from with this
    Tre said:

Hey Tach!

recently I've been making strides with the whole journalism student thing -- I just came off of an internship with a local TV station in my hometown, and when I go back to school the student paper wants me to talk with them about being an editor on the staff there!

I also started my own Discord server, though unlike Jane's, mine is just a general purpose chat thing for my friends and I

good to have you back around these parts

Hey Tre!  That's awesome!  It's really exciting how you're doing what you love and i guess moving towards a career in that field, i take it?
    Alduin said:

I too started a Discord chat with my friends. We never use it.

I've also been doing some political writing. I even got published! Once.
    Published where?  That's really cool.
  • on a local news site.
    is it still up?