The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
    If Trey Parker and Matt Stone make a South Park episode about how Hillary is just as bad as Trump and everyone who wants to vote in this election is a goddamn liberal, do you think Tumblr will decide to suddenly like them?
  • until they do something bad again sure some people would but vengabus
    You know

Pewdiepie is alright.

I don't like his videos but he seems All Right
  • Odradek said:

If Trey Parker and Matt Stone make a South Park episode about how Hillary is just as bad as Trump and everyone who wants to vote in this election is a goddamn liberal, do you think Tumblr will decide to suddenly like them?

the only thing i got out of this post is 'south park is bad' and i agree wit hthat statement
    Odradek said:

You know

Pewdiepie is alright.

I don't like his videos but he seems All Right
    he does stuff for water charities i think

man you know what movie people really don't understand

evangaVENGABOYs

GET IN THE FUCKING BUS SHINJI

https://heapershangout.com/index.php?p=/discussion/12266/my-father-woke-me-in-the-dead-of-night
  • edited 2016-08-04 16:54:04
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Odradek said:

Probably.

There is nothing short of recanting-and-donating-all-their-money-to-the-homeless-and-then-spending-the-rest-of-their-lives-visiting-the-elderly-and-teaching-children-to-read-and-feeding-orphans-and-doing-good-to-all-men that would make me decide to like them.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    That Cracked article seems like one long appeal to tradition/They Changed It Now It Sucks to me. :P
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    bewbs

• I don't really mind this song, but there's a part of me that says it's my absolute least favorite kind of thing and that I hate it so MUCH this is the sonic equivalent of a manbun I HATE IT
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Planetarian. Planedespairian.
  • Manning are absolutely fine every single editorial to the contrary is terriblr
    terriblr: that special kind of terribleness unique to tumblr
  • wow autocorrect turned that post into utter gibberish
    Stalins memes
  • kill living beings

wow autocorrect turned that post into utter gibberish

ok good i thought maybe you had transcended the discourse entirely
    Naney, Klinotaxis, Kexruct have you rejected Stalin's memes?
  • kill living beings
    i'm proud to say i've never even been to stalingags dot com
  • kill living beings
    hm... i could have said stalin gulags, but then it would be less obviously 9gag. decisions
    9Gulag.
  • kill living beings
    shit. i'm owned.
    and then klino was a slave
    fredrikdeboer.com/2016/08/04/check-out-this-harry-potter-and-the-cursed-child-fan-theory/
  • TUMUT CREW REPRESENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tumut
    Lucifers light spares no one
  • Odradek said:

fredrikdeboer.com/2016/08/04/check-out-this-harry-potter-and-the-cursed-child-fan-theory/

it starts good then does the bad
  • I know that's not helpful or informative but my phone is about to kick it
    I will ask you about it later
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

I know that's not helpful or informative but my phone is about to kick it

:(
  • as in run out of battery
    i know

i just...feel sad that you're going to go away
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Not like Inane won't come right on back.
  • im literally right here, i was two blocks from home

anyways time to Talk About The Post

(*clears throat*)
    Should've said that before I made funeral arrangements
    Here lies cat.
    He was catte.
    Amen.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    I am eating Chicago-style deep dish pizza, and all is right in my little world.
    pizza

cardboard boxes
    Our enemies hide in CARDBOARD BOXES, the cowards!
    MetaFour said:

I am eating Chicago-style deep dish pizza, and all is right in my little world.

i want some of that

Our enemies hide in CARDBOARD BOXES, the cowards!

Cowards?
  • edited 2016-08-05 00:59:37

Ok, here are the good points from the post:

* adults and children, for a variety of reasons, have different emotional and intellectual priorities

* as of late, there have been people who have claimed that this is not so. these people are incorrect.

* judging Harry Potter solely from an adult perspective is short-sighted

However, Mr. deBoer, in his haste to use this most recent Harry Potter installment media to engage in thinkpiece-esque hand-wringing over the immaturity of those dang nerd millennial kids these days, has overlooked some rather key facts.

* the fact that a piece of media can have multiple intended meanings doesnt merely mean that you can look at something from multiple perspectives, it also means that it can have multiple intended reference points. Think about it: as a kid, how often did you end up engaging in media without one of your parents? Whether it was your mom reading to you, going to see a movie with the whole family, ect. all of these things were made with both you and them in mind. Hell, back in the day when you went to the movie store, there were shelves of "family" films. Now, i'm not saying that every piece of kids media has some degree of adult aim (look at any number of the bajillions of toyetic 80s cartoons, or yu-gi-oh, or whatever), but something like Harry Potter does to some degree tackle issues in a manner adult people can engage in. Not to the degree that say a Toni Morrison novel does, but it certainly is more engaging on that front than most ostensibly adult-oriented mass-market paperbacks you find at the supermarket (which are the books that most people read, despite what internet pundits would have you believe), and in a manner that is in no way a detriment to its functioning as a children's novel.

* The first Harry Potter book came out in 1997. If someone was 7 or 8 when they picked that up, they'd be almost 30. And throughout the series, I'd say JK Rowling did her best to aim each installment so that it would appeal to the original fanbase, while remaining accessible to new readers in that older child/young teen age group (and as you all know I would generally say that she fell short in this regard, but that is a thing for another post). So, as someone with no knowledge of whatever the new Harry Potter thing is beyond "it's a play", I would feel safe in assuming that it would be a thing that would try to appeal to adult audiences to no small degree.

This last point here is a more subjective one, but I do feel that this gap between the things that appeal to children and the things that appeal to adults is oftentimes overstated. While the things I like now and the things i liked then are indeed distinct from one another, they share a robust familiarity, and child me would readily understand why i like the things i like now, even if the would not grasp their nuance.

TL;DR: the post willfully overlooks the way that childrens media, and the Harry Potter franchise in particular, works in order to do Sick Internet Dunkz on Cultural Degeneracy
    Yeah that's fair
  • also i'll note that whoever he's complaining about is probably annoying and i dont blame him wrt being annoyed, it's his reach in attempt to link this to a thinkpiece-constructed paradigm that kills it
  • wow i can't believe that i actually effortposted that hard
  • Ok, here are the good points from the post:

* adults and children, for a variety of reasons, have different emotional and intellectual priorities

* as of late, there have been people who have claimed that this is not so. these people are incorrect.

* judging Harry Potter solely from an adult perspective is short-sighted

However, Mr. deBoer, in his haste to use this most recent Harry Potter installment media to engage in thinkpiece-esque hand-wringing over the immaturity of those dang nerd millennial kids these days, has overlooked some rather key facts.

* the fact that a piece of media can have multiple intended meanings doesnt merely mean that you can look at something from multiple perspectives, it also means that it can have multiple intended reference points. Think about it: as a kid, how often did you end up engaging in media without one of your parents? Whether it was your mom reading to you, going to see a movie with the whole family, ect. all of these things were made with both you and them in mind. Hell, back in the day when you went to the movie store, there were shelves of "family" films. Now, i'm not saying that every piece of kids media has some degree of adult aim (look at any number of the bajillions of toyetic 80s cartoons, or yu-gi-oh, or whatever), but something like Harry Potter does to some degree tackle issues in a manner adult people can engage in. Not to the degree that say a Toni Morrison novel does, but it certainly is more engaging on that front than most ostensibly adult-oriented mass-market paperbacks you find at the supermarket (which are the books that most people read, despite what internet pundits would have you believe), and in a manner that is in no way a detriment to its functioning as a children's novel.

* The first Harry Potter book came out in 1997. If someone was 7 or 8 when they picked that up, they'd be almost 30. And throughout the series, I'd say JK Rowling did her best to aim each installment so that it would appeal to the original fanbase, while remaining accessible to new readers in that older child/young teen age group (and as you all know I would generally say that she fell short in this regard, but that is a thing for another post). So, as someone with no knowledge of whatever the new Harry Potter thing is beyond "it's a play", I would feel safe in assuming that it would be a thing that would try to appeal to adult audiences to no small degree.

This last point here is a more subjective one, but I do feel that this gap between the things that appeal to children and the things that appeal to adults is oftentimes overstated. While the things I like now and the things i liked then are indeed distinct from one another, they share a robust familiarity, and child me would readily understand why i like the things i like now, even if the would not grasp their nuance.

TL;DR: the post willfully overlooks the way that childrens media, and the Harry Potter franchise in particular, works in order to do Sick Internet Dunkz on Cultural Degeneracy
    i put too much effort into this to let it pagebottom honestly
    Sick Internet Dunkz
  • TreTre
    edited 2016-08-05 02:47:24
    I've actually been reading the book (play, whatever) and I'm with you on the whole "this one is more of an adult thing" idea.

If anything, the reception being lackluster is probably the culprit of the medium -- being a play, there isn't nearly as much room for the prose and description that made the original books what they were. It's more talky than the other ones, which is great if you're able to see it live, but feels wrong on the page. (I think this same issue is why watching Shakespeare is so much more enjoyable than reading him.)
    Less than three weeks left before I go back to school, and I don't feel ready.
    Did everyone go to bed?
  • kill living beings
    FUCK NO FUCKER
    hi klino
  • kill living beings
    kill kill kill kill kill. rip them apart. break open a hole and trip out your gray matter and push that into the rest of the skull so so so so so so fake diuresis invigorates death the death the death the powder fare death death fare death powder diuresis disable negative disable negative negative death death kill kill. kill them. kill them. rot