The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• John Moy had a definite eye for cool stuff and he was actually pretty good at being funny in a self-deprecating way without being obnoxious, + his actual not-funny opinion pieces were really good and well thought out
  • Jane said:

honestly (and this is tangential) rap journalism is in a pretty sad place right now

I might recommend RapReviews.com if you can get past their awful visual design
    i read

no music journalism sites anymore

sometimes i look at Resident Advisor to see what they've reviewed, but i never read the reviews themselves
  • edited 2016-03-01 05:08:27

and come to think of it i do the same thing with tinymixtapes

because they find so much weird stuff that's fun to dig through
  • Hey, Centie, if you ever want to get out of America, the national animal of Scotland is a unicorn.
  • edited 2016-03-01 10:50:12
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    First I had a cold. Then that went away and I got a chronic headaches again. And then my back and my muscles were sore. And then that went away but now I feel nauseous.

All I can do today is trade one set of symptoms for another, it seems.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i really hope you feel better soon.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Toolsie said:

Hey, Centie, if you ever want to get out of America, the national animal of Scotland is a unicorn.

Noted! o7
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    even setting that aside Scotland seems like a much better place to move than England, imo
  • My dreams exceed my real life
  • Okay, so, if I'm going to vote, what do I do other than bring photo ID?
    WitvpGM.jpg
  • Chocolate raisins <3
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Class doesn't start for another 15 minutes

I seem to have inadvertently discovered that I can screw around for half an hour before leaving the house and still make it to class on time, if I get up at 7
  • That's why, even though I live about 10 minutes away from the University campus, I wake up two hours before my lecture start time, because it means that I can have a lie in, take a nice long shower and relax for a while before having to set off.

Also, my Chem lab have finished for the semester, so it feels weird not having to go anywhere on a Tuesday...
  • So I'm now writing up lab reports whilst listening to loud electro-dance music. 

Because.
    It's quite nice because it gives me a little bit of time to sit around and catch up on email and such while I have my morning coffee. Only catch is it can be hard not to fall asleep again before I get to that point.
  • Whenever I wake up and I'm having my lie in, I force myself to watch YouTube videos, so that I can't fall asleep again.

Or if I have a nap, I listen to music. 
  • Also, my hair feels amazing today, 
  • edited 2016-03-01 14:57:50
    ಠ_ಠ
    Cross posting from my personal thread:

"If I was to do another Heapers Hangout Hunger Games in The Sims 3, would anybody be interested?"
  • Kexruct said:

Okay, so, if I'm going to vote, what do I do other than bring photo ID?

does your state require Voter ID cards yet
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I made a new character.

I was going to play in a Google+ Power Rangers game last Sunday, but church and lunch with the family. But the GM liked me, so he asked me if he could use my character as the 4th/6th Ranger, rescuing him from alien captivity in a great train robbery. And I thought; "Hell yes."
  • Jane said:

Kexruct said:

Okay, so, if I'm going to vote, what do I do other than bring photo ID?

does your state require Voter ID cards yet
    I'm not sure. I got one but I don't remember where it is. Fuck.
  • You should try to find it just in case.
  • kill living beings
    shuddery
    Intuitive way to explain to non-mathy people why 0.999... = 1:

0.9 is close to 1.

0.99 is closer to 1.

0.999 is even closer to 1.

So if you take the number of 9's to infinity, you get infinitely close to 1, which is just 1.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Proof that the cosmic laws and whatnot of the universe are inherently unfair: I do not yet have my own personal birdy hammock or cage.
    I'm imagining you with a welding mask and torch putting together a massive woman-sized bird cage for yourself
  • Intuitive way to explain to non-mathy people why 0.999... = 1:

0.9 is close to 1.

0.99 is closer to 1.

0.999 is even closer to 1.

So if you take the number of 9's to infinity, you get infinitely close to 1, which is just 1.

I got into SO MANY arguments about this

I don't get what people's emotional attachment to this issue is
  • Anyway I've done some new writing

...and I posted it in plaintext in my personal channel but it has dickawful formatting.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    0.999... is actually 0.
    Math is subsidized hobbyism
  • edited 2016-03-01 17:10:40
    kill living beings

Intuitive way to explain to non-mathy people why infinity = 10:

1 is close to 10.

2 is closer to 10.

3 is even closer to 10.

So if you add your way to infinity, you get infinitely close to 10.

smug emoji
  • kill living beings
    actually a better counter is using the nines but pointing out that it works with 2 just as well as 1.
    Problem: "Trans actors" sounds like "Transactors", which in turn sounds like money powered transforming robots.
  • edited 2016-03-01 17:19:52
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...

I'm imagining you with a welding mask and torch putting together a massive woman-sized bird cage for yourself

You do know I am absolutely not above doing that in the future, once I have the resources, yeah? :p

@ Kex: I'll try to read it tonight.

Intuitive way to explain to non-mathy people why infinity = 10:

1 is close to 10.

2 is closer to 10.

3 is even closer to 10.

So if you add your way to infinity, you get infinitely close to 10.

smug emoji
    I know it's not a rigorous explanation, but we're taking about the kind of people who would argue about this in the first place, so I don't expect they'd understand the math behind any actual proof.
  • I think it would be better to show someone an actual proof because otherwise they will do what I did and spend hours trying to figure out if 0.333 repeating is equal to 0.4
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Decimal notation seems to inherently lead to asymptotes. Visually speaking, any attempt to say "0.999... is 1" is going to look counterintuitive for that reason. The only way to prove it without splitting hairs, to my mind, is to say it's three thirds or nine ninths, which is one.
  • also that's a rather mean, I mean it's a rather counterintuitive concept that most people with an education through high school won't have come across, so just because they don't get it immediately doesn't make them idiots

jeez
    Yeah, that, too.
  • also that's a rather mean, I mean it's a rather counterintuitive concept that most people with an education through high school won't have come across, so just because they don't get it immediately doesn't make them idiots

jeez

no, but people get really mad about this for some reason? Like really mad, I've seen it with my own eyes.
  • Jane said:

also that's a rather mean, I mean it's a rather counterintuitive concept that most people with an education through high school won't have come across, so just because they don't get it immediately doesn't make them idiots

jeez

no, but people get really mad about this for some reason? Like really mad, I've seen it with my own eyes.
    Same, but condescension helps no one

but for fuck's sake, saaaaame

also that's a rather mean, I mean it's a rather counterintuitive concept that most people with an education through high school won't have come across, so just because they don't get it immediately doesn't make them idiots

jeez

I knew it might come off that way, but that's not what I meant, exactly.

Like, what I'm getting at is that I can't build a layman's explanation of this around a level of math that most people outside of STEM fields have never studied. It has to be accessible.
    Interesting casting. I would go see this.
    Jane said:

jeez

Yeah, but that's not a stupidity thing.
    Now I'm thinking of how vos Savant's solution to the Monty Hall problem got her hundreds of mathematicians, with PhDs, telling her that she was wrong.

jeez

I knew it might come off that way, but that's not what I meant, exactly.

Like, what I'm getting at is that I can't build a layman's explanation of this around a level of math that most people outside of STEM fields have never studied. It has to be accessible.
    Again, it's three thirds. Decimals don't accommodate divisions other than two and five very well.