The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• I'm using a 5-year-old laptop myself, I wanna get a new one when my relatives give me the ok
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    My computer (a desktop) is five years old and has no particular issues other than booting up kinda slow.

I think it's ready for kindergarten
  • the fan randomly starts running pretty hot on mine and i find that concerning since I can't afford a new laptop and will probably not be able to for several more years.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    My previous laptop was from 2009 and lasted about 4 years. By 2013, its battery barely held a charge and its hard drive was dying, so instead of replacing those parts I just bought this one, which has twice as much RAM and a bigger hard drive.

Compared to the last one, this one's still in quite good shape for its age, and I'll probably be able to get another two or three years out of it if I have to...
  • mine is an Inspiron-5 that I got in 2013

I don't know what the projected lifespan on those things is but the only thing I've ever replaced is the charger, so it's held up pretty well all things considered I guess.
  • edited 2016-02-28 21:05:39
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    Mine is a year and a half old, so I don't have to worry about getting a new one for some time yet.

My last one lasted for three years before it got stolen, but it was pretty much on its last legs by then anyway, so...
  • mate my laptop is 6 years old every time you try to save a file you have to carry it across a snowy hill slick with ice uphil both ways, and the cyber ants that run the microprocessors have formed a union and are demanding 15 dollars an hour it's hell

Cook Out probably has the most inconsistent branding I've ever seen on a restaurant chain but the food's super high quality for fast food so it evens out

I've never been to the Lexington one but I go all the time in Raleigh because they have a killer tray special there:

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I'm seriously getting into "first-wold problems" territory today, aren't I?

Sorry guys.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I feel like a desktop and/or a tablet is a better investment when you're broke than a laptop for a bunch of reasons, but I get how a laptop can be convenient in some cases, and I do feel bad when I hear about other people's laptops going kablooey or otherwise working incorrectly... >~>
  • I got a Stones Throw Records sticker when I bought Quasimoto's The Unseen album so that currently is sitting atop the Dell logo on the back of Teletraan's outer shell.

I feel like a desktop and/or a tablet is a better investment when you're broke than a laptop for a bunch of reasons, but I get how a laptop can be convenient in some cases, and I do feel bad when I hear about other people's laptops going kablooey or otherwise working incorrectly... >~>

Maybe once I graduate I'd consider a desktop computer, but a laptop is pretty much indispensable for me right now as a student at a big university. Sure, there are computer labs on campus I have access to, but the convenience of being able to take my own computer wherever I need to go tends to outweigh the drawbacks of a laptop.
  • Tre said:

Cook Out probably has the most inconsistent branding I've ever seen on a restaurant chain but the food's super high quality for fast food so it evens out

I've never been to the Lexington one but I go all the time in Raleigh because they have a killer tray special there:

what is cheerwine

we bought a tablet for christmas and it took literally two days for my siblings to get malware on it

we don't really have the room for a desktop
  • fun fact: there's a lingerie shop in the corner of that picture of the restaurant
  • if you can't buy fried chicken and sexy underwear in one trip what's the point of living in a city
    That's why a tablet/desktop combo is ideal, to my mind, but the irony is that wouldn't work with my desktop because it's from the last generation of PowerPCs and thus is old and unsupported by basically everything.

I'm seriously getting into "first-wold problems" territory today, aren't I?

Sorry guys.
    They are still problems, you need not apologize.
  • Cheerwine is a cherry-flavored soda from NC! It's not my favorite but I do like it, and it's one of the few things I know North Carolina can actually brag about, so it has its merits.
  • Tre said:

Cheerwine is a cherry-flavored soda from NC! It's not my favorite but I do like it, and it's one of the few things I know North Carolina can actually brag about, so it has its merits.

so it is like A-TREAT but from a different state

neato
  • edited 2016-02-28 21:13:44

That's why a tablet/desktop combo is
    ideal, to my mind, but the irony is that wouldn't work with my desktop
    because it's from the last generation of PowerPCs and thus is old and
    unsupported by basically everything.

I went with the desktop+tablet approach and when I'm on campus I frequently curse not having a laptop. It's just not realistic to do schoolwork on the tablet, at least not comfortably.
    Jane said:

Tre said:

what is cheerwine

we bought a tablet for christmas and it took literally two days for my siblings to get malware on it

we don't really have the room for a desktop
    To the first, I'm curious, too.

To the second, that seriously sucks, but I am nevertheless curious as to how they managed to do this. (I would advise that you save up and double up like that when you move out. A desktop will afford you more processing power, and a tablet won't generally explode on you.)
  • Regional soft drinks are fascinating.

I've mentioned it already, but the leading one in Kentucky is Ale-8-One (almost exclusively referred to as Ale-8), a citrus-ginger ale with caffeine and light carbonation. S'pretty good.
    Tre said:

Cheerwine is a cherry-flavored soda from NC! It's not my favorite but I do like it, and it's one of the few things I know North Carolina can actually brag about, so it has its merits.

Sounds tasty.
  • dude if i get this job on wednsday all my checks are going to bills, our electricity subsidy runs out this month.
    Re: Malware: enabling the "install applications from unknown sources" option is basically one of the most dangerous things you can do on an Android device. So many of the "free downloads" you find when searching for apps on the web are malware disguised as something useful. Trojan, I guess is the term.

Stick to the Play Store.
  • Re: Malware: enabling the "install applications from unknown sources" option is basically one of the most dangerous things you can do on an Android device. So many of the "free downloads" you find when searching for apps on the web are malware disguised as something useful. Trojan, I guess is the term.

Stick to the Play Store.
    it was a Windows tablet

also you have to understand, they're at the age where they know how to turn that stuff off but not how to discern what is and isn't spam
    Windows tablet. That's a whole new can of worms, I suppose.

As for my laptop: the only thing right now that really, truly bothers me about my current PC is that its hardware doesn't support Windows 10's built-in disk encryption. I dunno, I've become paranoid about encrypting my crap lately.
    Jane said:

dude if i get this job on wednsday all my checks are going to bills, our electricity subsidy runs out this month.

That's why I strongly implied "in the future" there. Like, you're not moving out right this instant. I hope you can soon, definitely, but I'm not telling you to do any of this now.
  • Jane said:

dude if i get this job on wednsday all my checks are going to bills, our electricity subsidy runs out this month.

That's why I strongly implied "in the future" there. Like, you're not moving out right this instant. I hope you can soon, definitely, but I'm not telling you to do any of this now.
    i know

it's just i've been planning that for three years now and it's not hard to be pessimistic
  • I typically turn that option on just so that Amazon's Appstore/Underground works properly, because until recently it was easier for me to get stuff from there and not the Play Store because I had an Amazon gift card racket going that sustained a number of my purchases for a while.

They also have some pretty good paid apps that they slid some money to so they could give them away as part of their Actually Free program so there's that.

Basically I've just kinda made sure to do as little pirating/browsing shady websites on Android as possible. S'worked pretty well. 
    I've downloaded a grand total of two apps on my Android tablet

I have no idea what else I would want to do with it
    Jane said:

Jane said:

i know

it's just i've been planning that for three years now and it's not hard to be pessimistic
    I get that. You have every right to feel lousy. But assuming that things will stay shitty because they have been shitty is not productive and sets you up to expect failure rather than simply brace yourself for the possibility of it.
  • use your nose to browse the internet

like god intended
  • TreTre
    edited 2016-02-28 21:28:52

That's why a tablet/desktop combo is
    ideal, to my mind, but the irony is that wouldn't work with my desktop
    because it's from the last generation of PowerPCs and thus is old and
    unsupported by basically everything.

I went with the desktop+tablet approach and when I'm on campus I frequently curse not having a laptop. It's just not realistic to do schoolwork on the tablet, at least not comfortably.
    i'm lucky enough to have gotten all three, though my parents and I only paid for the laptop (the tablet was a scholarship gift and my desktop was built from old parts my best friend didn't need anymore)

most of my work is done with the laptop, while my iPad sort of replaced my Kindle as my portable media consumption device (and I use both during my radio shows) and the desktop's my gaming rig
    the internet's a disappointing place
  • my braingears are melting

metaphorically you understand
  • kill living beings
    have you oiled them
  • I wish my brain had gears
  • I now have 10 Merkur blades
  • also I ended up at Nordstrom and tried on some $800 sneakers

they were OK?
    remember the reebok pump
  • I could go buy a pair of those right now if I wanted

they're only like 40-50 bucks

of course, that would be a waste of my money as I neither need nor want Reebok pumps
    They used to be more like $100 when they came out.

I actually had a pair, uselessly
  • I kinda wanted a pair when I was like 8 or something
    I was 11 or 12
    Now that I'm showered and feeling a bit more lucid I feel weird about having whinged about not getting a new laptop.

Did I annoy you guys?
    no
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    http://screenrant.com/stan-lee-honorary-oscar-academy-awards/

Every day it becomes harder not to annoy people