The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
    This is why I support Trump, his supporters are proud of being bros.

#FeelTheDon
  • edited 2016-02-15 22:36:59

It didn't take long for the Clinton fans to resort to "if you dislike Hillary it's because you're sexist", eh?
    There are very provably people who hate Hillary because she's a woman
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

Once again, Sanders's strong support for Israel is the one issue I have with him.

It's probably a self-centered view to take, but at this point I care more about who will improve life for me in America than about foreign policy. >_>
    Kexruct said:

It didn't take long for the Clinton fans to resort to "if you dislike Hillary it's because you're sexist", eh?
    yes and generally they are voting for Trump
  • edited 2016-02-15 22:39:09

What I've gathered is that people who support Clinton want her to get the nomination because she's "electable", whereas they worry Sanders' ideas are too radically left-wing that nominating him will be handing the White House to the GOP.

What's weirded me out is that there is some subset of Clinton supporters (mainly older feminist types, I guess) who are sincerely arguing that people should support her purely because she's a woman.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.

Once again, Sanders's strong support for Israel is the one issue I have with him.

It's probably a self-centered view to take, but at this point I care more about who will improve life for me in America than about foreign policy. >_>
    I basically agree with you, and I understand why Sanders is an Israel supporter, considering his father was a Holocaust survivor.

It still kinda bugs me, though.
  • If anything Hillary supports Israel more consistently than Bernie, and my main issue with her is her bellicosity. At any rate with a Republican Congress neither of them will be able to do much more than elect better judges and prevent the regression that would inevitably happen with a Republican president.
    We were screwed the moment we re-elected George W. Bush

Possibly long before that
    I think many would say since we first elected Reagan.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Yeah, is there a candidate who *doesn't* support Israel?  i kind of assumed that was a given . . .

(i'll be slow to respond because my brother wants us to watch anime together)
    Even Trump supports Israel, AFAIK.
  • we were never screwed, we still arent
  • Kexruct said:

Berniebros *are* a major problem. One that even Bernie has had to address. I don't like that people are treating it like it's a joke or something trivial.
  • There;s only one solution.

Write-in vote for the Mythbusters. Savage/Hyneman 2016
  • I'm honestly flabbergasted that Hillary is even capable of being "the bad guy" in an election containing Ted Cruz, Jeb Bush, *and* Donald Trump. I mean, even at her worst at least she'll still have to answer to a liberal base.
  • Jeb is moe, Donald Trump has a distinctive color scheme

Cruz

I can't come up with something for Cruz
  • edited 2016-02-15 22:49:43
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    Cruz is both Hispanic and Canadian.

Surely, that's got to count for something.
  • Hillary

has skirtsuits

and PTA mom vibes
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Ted "Kind Eyes Man" Cruz
    Kexruct said:

I'm honestly flabbergasted that Hillary is even capable of being "the bad guy" in an election containing Ted Cruz, Jeb Bush, *and* Donald Trump. I mean, even at her worst at least she'll still have to answer to a liberal base.

Well the Republicans are a dead option for the people arguing about this
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    i want to go to England

i want to go to England

Enjoy getting arrested when you try uninstalling the security cameras on every street corner.
  • Doesn't matter, half the damn country is Republican. We can't just ignore that. Even during the primaries
    Kexruct said:

Doesn't matter, half the damn country is Republican. We can't just ignore that. Even during the primaries

Okay, but, like it is an actual choice as to whether Hillary or Bernie are in the primaries.

So obviously there is going to be conflict over that, it's just the nature of the American political system.

The Republican candidate doesn't matter in this debate because the people arguing aren't voting republican
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Kexruct said:

Doesn't matter, half the damn country is Republican. We can't just ignore that. Even during the primaries

No, half of the country tends to register or vote with the Republican Party because our electoral system is not representative of the diversity of opinion in this country. Consider just how different Donald Trump is from Ted Cruz, John Kasich or Rand Paul, or for that matter how different Clinton is from Sanders on certain issues.

I don't want to paint Clinton as some great evil. She's an extremely competent, reasonably liberal Democrat. It's just that I don't think she's enough.
  • 6t5]]]]]]]                     vc       c
    Hi Dusty
    :3 !
  • She's gotten so many extra snuggles today since I've been at home. :3
  • edited 2016-02-16 00:19:07
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I cannot vote for Hillary because she is a Clinton and I am a Utahn.

Utah hates the Clintons.  Whenever they remember Utah exists, they hate us back.

The last, and only, president to like Utah was Ronald Reagan.

He visited multiple times.  Intentionally, even!

And he honored the Motab by having them sing at his inauguration!

Sure, I despise everything he did and everything he stood for, but regionalism.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)

i want to go to England

Why, Centie.

Why must everyone prefer frigging England.  You, the internet, my brother, my cousin, everyone.
  • edited 2016-02-16 00:27:26
    (2015 self)
    Well, I guess it's logical to prefer England to America.  Just like how it's logical to prefer wikipedia to me.

My dang brother doesn't believe anything I say unless he can source it, and then he just folds whenever the internet disagrees with him, like he trusts the fifteen-year-olds at Wikipedia more than me.

Sure, I'm flawed, I use the internet for research sometimes, but I don't flipping google it when I disagree with people.
  • I for one am perfectly happy where I am, ensconced in the frigid north
  • Kexruct said:

No, half of the country tends to register or vote with the Republican Party because our electoral system is not representative of the diversity of opinion in this country.
    I know? I mean, I know I said "is Republican" but I figured the meaning of "tends to vote Republican for whatever combination of reasons" could be inferred from what I was saying, and it honestly kinda bugs me that you felt the need to give me this lesson
  • whenever there are more than 20 new posts in the trash heap I come in here and see some weird argument.

What are you even arguing over? I am comfortable making the claim that like 90% of the people who visit this forum are voting for Sanders.

or is it just Leftist Infighting & Chill night
    (2015 self)
    Statistically, the best predictor of voting is regionalism.  Each state has one to three major issues that determine its vote. 

John Kerry failed to promise that he would not do the pipeline in Alaska, and lost Alaska's vote.  John Kerry failed to promise that he would not oppose gay marriage, and lost a lot of blue states.  Bush opposed abortion, and got Utah.

These issues, far more than any political scandal, or personalities of the candidate, or any political humor, determine the vote, at least when looked at one a state-wide level.  People didn't vote for Bush, they voted for lowered taxes.

Liberal voters were uncertain of Kerry's commitment to gay rights and environmental regulations and all that; which undermined Kerry's support.  Bush's support had a very clear idea of what he had promised.

The election won't be decided by a candidate being unfaithful to a spouse, or a candidate insulting the american population, or anything that a human being can do other than promise a policy position on one of the handful of issues that determine the vote.

And, well, some states have more votes than others.  Ohio's important issues are a far greater determinant of the president than Alaska's.

This is why Ted Cruz can say that he wants to bomb the middle east until it glows in the dark and not lose any support.  Because international relations are not one of the Big Issues for any state.  No state borders the middle east.  If Ted Cruz promising funds for a highway or a school in, say, Nebraska, will determine Nebraska's vote far more than any foreign policy stance.
  • no don't you see we're arguing about whether or not we should be arguing about sanders vs clinton
  • Aliroz said:

Statistically, the best predictor of voting is regionalism.  Each state has one to three major issues that determine its vote. 

John Kerry failed to promise that he would not do the pipeline in Alaska, and lost Alaska's vote.  John Kerry failed to promise that he would not oppose gay marriage, and lost a lot of blue states.  Bush opposed abortion, and got Utah.

These issues, far more than any political scandal, or personalities of the candidate, or any political humor, determine the vote, at least when looked at one a state-wide level.  People didn't vote for Bush, they voted for lowered taxes.

Liberal voters were uncertain of Kerry's commitment to gay rights and environmental regulations and all that; which undermined Kerry's support.  Bush's support had a very clear idea of what he had promised.

The election won't be decided by a candidate being unfaithful to a spouse, or a candidate insulting the american population, or anything that a human being can do other than promise a policy position on one of the handful of issues that determine the vote.

And, well, some states have more votes than others.  Ohio's important issues are a far greater determinant of the president than Alaska's.

This is why Ted Cruz can say that he wants to bomb the middle east until it glows in the dark and not lose any support.  Because international relations are not one of the Big Issues for any state.  No state borders the middle east.  If Ted Cruz promising funds for a highway or a school in, say, Nebraska, will determine Nebraska's vote far more than any foreign policy stance.

this was true for a very long time, but voting on ideology is becoming increasingly popular.

That's the only reason Sanders is doing even sort of well at all (and mind you I still don't think the man has a chance in hell though I plan to vote for him anyway). Same with Trump.
  • edited 2016-02-16 00:47:16
    (2015 self)
    Ideology is only really a statistically significant factor in swing states, and even then, it's more a tiebreaker than a true determinant.

For the rest of us, it's basically regionalism.

Vote republican or let the consarned east coast liberals get the white house and legalize abortion.
  • edited 2016-02-16 00:48:27
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Maybe it's different in America but over here that doesn't seem to be the case, although it would be quite logical.

Like i have had mixed-leaning-negative feelings on our local MP's responses to local issues, but he is definitely more Westminster's-man-over-here than our-man-in-Westminster.

He was elected, as far as i can tell, because he represented the Conservatives, who were seen to be providing a strong, diginified government and a solution to economic problems, and very importantly were not Labour, who were seen to be providing economic recession and the very un-charismatic Ed Milliband.
  • Aliroz said:

Ideology is only really a statistically significant factor in swing states, and even then, it's more a tiebreaker than a true determinant.

ie. the only states where your vote actually matters.
    (2015 self)
    Hey, the other 39 of us add up to...

okay, less than half the vote.
  • edited 2016-02-16 01:07:34
    (2015 self)

• edited 2016-02-16 01:07:39
    (2015 self)

Blank pipletroast?
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    The new Powerpuff Girls theme song is very Splatoon-ish. I have no opinion about it except that it resembles a thing I like.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    "Tearing idols from their thrones" is the name of the game, that's my aim.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

Kexruct said:

There are very provably Sanders supporters whose second choice is Trump
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    see: goons
  • there are provably so many things in the world!

what is the fucking point of this conversation?!

"some Sanders supporters are bad"? We know that! Everyone who has spent more then ten minutes looking into this election knows that! What are any of you even talking about?!