The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
    Anonus said:

unfollow those people maybe?

Also if we could not act like any statement I make is probably founded on mad delusion, that would be nice.

Like, there was an article on Star Wars Jacobin and the first response I saw to it was someone demanding the author watch the RLM reviews before expressing any opinions on the Prequels.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

Anonus said:

unfollow those people maybe?

Also if we could not act like any statement I make is probably founded on mad delusion, that would be nice.

how am I talking like this is mad delusion?
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I am always going to quote RLM now in any context
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    please don't
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    We're not. We're suggesting that you might be running in certain circles which are not representative of greater critical opinion or even greater nerdy critical opinion, and that unless you're getting something else out of hanging around in such environs, we think you might benefit from cutting back on them.

Seriously, I know some people really like RLM, but aside from Section and Sorrow and one or two of the Chez Apocalypse folks, I've never really interacted or seen that much of them, let alone the crazy stans you're describing.

We're not. We're suggesting that you might be running in certain circles which are not representative of greater critical opinion or even greater nerdy critical opinion, and that unless you're getting something else out of hanging around in such environs, we think you might benefit from cutting back on them.

Seriously, I know some people really like RLM, but aside from Section and Sorrow and one or two of the Chez Apocalypse folks, I've never really interacted or seen that much of them, let alone the crazy stans you're describing.

• image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    YouTube network Maker Studios and its biggest star, Felix "PewDiePie" Kjellberg -- who currently stands at 41 million subscribers, by the way -- today announced the formation of Revelmode, a new video network helmed by the iconoclastic Swedish star.
    Well known iconoclast, Felix Kjellberg.

what are you getting out of hanging around those environs?
  • is what you are getting out of this really worth my getting endlessly subjected to this
    Well, what do you get out of hanging around people who, at least on this subject, drive you up a wall?

Like, I know Fossilmaiden hangs around the Let's Play section of SA, and I get that, but I'm not sure what you get out of following people who constantly fellate RLM on Twitter. Unless they don't and you just react really badly when they do, but if so, aren't there ways to filter posts à la XKit on Tumblr?
    Anonus said:

It differs, sometimes jokes, sometimes updates on things I like.

YouTube network Maker Studios and its biggest star, Felix "PewDiePie" Kjellberg -- who currently stands at 41 million subscribers, by the way -- today announced the formation of Revelmode, a new video network helmed by the iconoclastic Swedish star.
    Well known iconoclast, Felix Kjellberg.

• edited 2016-01-13 23:33:29
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

Like, I know Fossilmaiden hangs around the Let's Play section of SA,

Hmm? I barely touch the LP subforum.
    SA has three different threads to gush about RLM on three different subforums.

Anonus said:

It differs, sometimes jokes, sometimes updates on things I like.
    I dunno, can't you get those from places where you're not exposed to shit that makes you hyperventilate?

Like, this is exactly why I got stuck in BTL's orbit, but it's also why I torched that fucking bridge and never, ever went back.
    It is less predictable than you are assuming.

Like, I know Fossilmaiden hangs around the Let's Play section of SA,

Hmm? I barely touch the LP subforum.
    I must have gotten confused by some of your posts about the nature of your presence there. Apologies for my misinterpretation.
    I saw an LPer I like say that they stopped following RLM because of late they had been making jokes about SJWs and such, and I was just like "I sympathize, but I don't know how you're really surprised the people who made the Star Wars review version of the video I posted above would go there"

Well, I came in at a bad time
  • edited 2016-01-13 23:40:40
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    yeah, kinda

idk, can i just say, this is the kind of thing where i feel like there's a tension here because there's stuff that people here clearly want to talk about, and other people really don't want to hear about

like idk, should we take it to another thread?  would that suffice?  or what?  because i don't want to irritate people but i do feel like we ought to be able to have some discussion of this

y'know, genuine discussion, not just the same memes or shitposts repeat-posted

It is less predictable than you are assuming.

That's fair. I'm just... not entirely sure it's worth it, at the end of the day, if it makes you this mad. It sounds like eating ice cream with chunks of broken glass in it for you.

I saw an LPer I like say that they stopped following RLM because of late they had been making jokes about SJWs and such, and I was just like "I sympathize, but I don't know how you're really surprised the people who made the Star Wars review version of the video I posted above would go there"

I've been there a few times.
    This is what I was saying about a stickied post about megathreads.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Genuine discussion would be appreciated, in every instance like this, to me anyway.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    https://heapershangout.com/index.php?p=/discussion/9175/useful-threads-and-information

idk if you saw, AU added in a bunch of threads about particular subjects
  • maybe we should, instead of telling Odradek how to live his life, just ask that he stop when he is doing something we find annoying, and then relent when he does so
    infinite sustain
    Jane said:

maybe we should, instead of telling Odradek how to live his life, just ask that he stop when he is doing something we find annoying, and then relent when he does so

yeah, probably
  • kill living beings
    one of my classmates introduced herself by saying she streamed video games full time
  • edited 2016-01-14 00:28:32
    My view on RLM's Star Wars reviews is that, while distasteful, they're technically correct on a variety of counts. What they finds to be appropriate humour detracts from the experience of viewing those videos, but I can't take it to detract from the actual critique, as it usually has nothing to do with it. Which, naturally, is part of why it's distasteful -- one prostitute joke might be funny, for instance, but turning that degree of suffering so consistently into humour does more than tread the line. 

Ultimately, the distasteful humour has consigned the RLM reviews to something of a historical dustbin. It's a shame, because if RLM chose not to use such targeted and brutal humour, then it'd be appropriate as a broad spectrum critique of the prequels. Perhaps even more importantly, it'd be a good explanation for why fine lore details don't override the need to tell a clear story, like a counterargument to hardcore fan culture that expects the general audience to be up to speed. 

My last attempt to watch those reviews wasn't terribly long ago. I really wanted to make it through them, because there is legitimate, high-quality commentary in there about the art of cinema as a whole. The pointless diversions into that kind of humour do make each viewing increasingly difficult and frustrating, because no good argument needs to divert into... uh, whatever array of things RLM sees fit to mock unrelated to Star Wars.

I guess this post was about recognising technical merit, even in the presence of uncomfortable elements. That discomfort isn't unwarranted, and those RLM reviews would be much better without the spiteful humour. But the moral arguments against RLM must be divergent to the technical arguments against it. Going into a review of the Star Wars prequels, trivialisations of mental illness, child abuse, and issues associated with prostitution are neither necessary nor particularly entertaining. It's just that I feel criticism of that should be held as separate from criticism of the criticism, so to speak. 

This is a running issue I have with "SJW" culture, wherein moral criticism and technical criticism become conflated, when they're usually separate things. That isn't an argument against pointing out behaviour that unfairly targets particular kinds of people or demographics -- it's an argument against refusing to engage with things that don't fit one's own moral perspective well enough. It's the mentality that separates someone who is socially informed from a dogmatic aggressor. That risks becoming a different topic entirely, but suffice to say, I'd a calm, explanatory, mutually respectful clash of perspectives over the moral dogma of some "progressive" sects. 

Edit: well I guess I missed that discussion dang
    Jane said:

maybe we should, instead of telling Odradek how to live his life, just ask that he stop when he is doing something we find annoying, and then relent when he does so

RLM doesn't allow for respectful exchange of perspectives. The average RLM fan responds to people dissing their idols or disagreeing with their idols by shouting memes and occasionally transphobic slurs until the dissenter shuts up.
  • edited 2016-01-14 00:43:05
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

RLM doesn't allow for respectful exchange of perspectives. The average RLM fan responds to people dissing their idols or disagreeing with their idols by shouting memes and occasionally transphobic slurs until the dissenter shuts up.

Again, that might be true of a certain sect of fan, but it's kind of unfair to tar everybody who likes a thing in that manner.

And yeah, I'm sorry about telling you what to do. I just don't personally get it—or rather, I get it, but I don't like that I get it, because it's the kind of thing that's made me really unhappy before...
    This is how almost every one of them is like. You have no idea how utterly intolerable my twitter feed became over it when Boyhood was up for Oscars.

I actually did unfollow people over that.
  • That changes nothing. RLM fans are just fans, but the identification with social justice and activism is an array of movements. If RLM fans act like arseholes, the outcome is nearly irrelevant. The more disappointing outcome occurs when those claiming to have the moral high ground fail to behave as though they have the moral high ground. Ever heard the "It's not my job to educate you on..." line? 

I don't care at all about a handful of RLM fans behaving poorly in some decreasingly relevant corner of the internet, but I do care about disingenuous behaviour from those claiming to represent a better way of life. 
    But, like, again: Section and Sorrow apparently like RLM, but they aren't complete assholes by any stretch of the imagination.
  • That changes nothing. RLM fans are just fans, but the identification with social justice and activism is an array of movements. If RLM fans act like arseholes, the outcome is nearly irrelevant. The more disappointing outcome occurs when those claiming to have the moral high ground fail to behave as though they have the moral high ground. Ever heard the "It's not my job to educate you on..." line? 

It is never anyone's job to educate you on anything in an online argument.

I don't care about RLM, but it is hard to not reply with this line when people ask you stupid questions about your gender identity all the time. Especially when it's the same three or four stupid questions.
    get edjucated
    I'm sorry: only 95% of the fandom are like that.
  • i was unimpressed with the RLM things i saw

i guess i managed to avoid watching an episode with them saying transphobic things or whatever, but the humor i did see was flat, and their analysis was really... mediocre, like "you get a C on this AP English paper" tier?

so the idea of this series being a big deal still kinda baffles me
  • I have definitely seen people around the internet who are very staunch RLM fans, and I see no reason not to take Odie at his word that it's gross.

I have no stake in that particular debate anyway. I never watch movies, why would I watch a Youtube series about them.
  • edited 2016-01-14 00:56:56
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

i was unimpressed with the RLM things i saw

i guess i managed to avoid watching an episode with them saying transphobic things or whatever, but the humor i did see was flat, and their analysis was really... mediocre, like "you get a C on this AP English paper" tier?

This is pretty much how I felt. I don't get how people who make internet videos that I like can be so into this guy. I didn't have an intense hate reaction, but it was just meh to me.

Switching gears for a moment, stepping into Mod Mode: Jane, Alex, please take this to PMs if you're going to get any snarlier. People calmed down? Huh.
  • it is 7 and the USPS tracker is quiiiiite sure that my package will be delivered today

doubt
    Note: Damon Lindelof was later a subject of a Two Minutes Hate by the same people who like RLM.

This is pretty much how I felt. I don't get how people who make internet videos that I like can be so into this guy. I didn't have an intense hate reaction, but it was just meh to me.

Switching gears for a moment, stepping into Mod Mode: Jane, Alex, please take this to PMs if you're going to get any snarlier.
    Huh?

Switching gears for a moment, stepping into Mod Mode: Jane, Alex, please take this to PMs if you're going to get any snarlier.
    ...why Jane?
  • I'm actually totally baffled at what I said that cold be construed as "snarly".

And in fact I am not even sure what the term means.

i was unimpressed with the RLM things i saw

I don't know if they say transphobic things.

What I do know is that at one point, some people on the Internet Critic thread said they didn't like RLM because of the violence against women stuff, and one dude got so angry about that he went to GBS to whine about it, and people from GBS came into the thread and spammed transphobic shit out of anger at SJWs daring not to like Rich Evans and his sexy laugh.

One of the people who spammed that shit is now a mod.