The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• I'll admit that it stuck fairly close to the status quo until the final stretch, at which point the status quo was pushed out of the zeppelin while on fire
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I actually like longposts, though I rarely make them.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    iirc i stuck with it for the first 34 books before deciding it wasn't going anywhere

evidently i was badly mistaken
    (2015 self)

Oh, it's not the idea of the maturing thing that I mind at all, I think it was a verygood idea, I just feel like she maybe bit off more than she could chew, and no editors wanted to go at her because She's JK Rowling, and the results were eeehhhh

Naney, you and I will never agree on this.

Just be glad 2007 Rozzy isn't here, or it would cut you for criticizing its favorite book series.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Twitch Plays Pokémon was two years ago. I didn't even realise.
    longposts can be interesting, and i wouldn't want to discourage anyone from making them, but in a discussion that wasn't previously that involved, sudden, argumentative longposts can be a bit overwhelming

as i recall i had a bad habit of springing those on people back on TVT, though
    (2015 self)
    And no, that last post was NOT totally an excuse to refer to myself as a different entity so that I could demonstrate my prefered pronoun.
    well, in OTC, anyway
  • well basically, one of the ways I like to look at media, whether it be music or books or TV shows or anything, is via the relationship of how much effort you put into it vs. how much you get out of it, which kinda gets laid out on a graph, with the x axis being "how much effort you put into digesting the text" and the y axis being "what you get out of it"

of course, this isnt some sort of universal or objective thing, because the value of these things is different for every person, and there are different sorts of value, and everyone is looking for different things, and this is completely useless on its own and yadda yadda yadda, but like i think it's useful for looking at vague trends

for example, with Harry Potter, at least early on, you have essentially Perfect Kids Books.  They have a bit of chew to them, so you have to put in some effort. As a result you dont feel like you're getting talked down to, but at the same time most any kids could read them no problem. and then, the messages in the text have some backbone to them, but they arent something you have to chew over a whole bunch. So once again, you dont feel like you're getting talked down to. So, most kids reading Harry Potter will have a good time and feel satisfied with the whole experience, without any lingering frustrations.

then, as the series went on JK Rowling tried making the books more mature, but she did this not by tampering with the curve, which is how you would properly make a work more adult, but by trying to pile on more mature themes, which feel increasingly at odds with the curve. and while i do feel thatshe got better at this over time, it's still a sticking point.

i guess for other examples, most philosophical works ive read have a very steep, almost vertical curve. they are trying to articulate, well, entire philosophies, which is something that is very difficult to condense effectively into text form. so the end result is something that is very difficult to fully digest, and if you dont fully get it, you're not getting much?

i guess what im trying to say is that these curves arent dry value judgements, they're just ways of looking at how well something does what it's trying to do. sometimes.

. . . wow

also: i see i am not the only one up excessively late
  • edited 2016-01-14 04:11:56

that post got cut short towards the end, because my sister and my mom are screaming at one another so now im feeling 8/
  • edited 2016-01-14 04:13:03
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Aliroz said:

Oh, it's not the idea of the maturing thing that I mind at all, I think it was a verygood idea, I just feel like she maybe bit off more than she could chew, and no editors wanted to go at her because She's JK Rowling, and the results were eeehhhh

Naney, you and I will never agree on this.

Just be glad 2007 Rozzy isn't here, or it would cut you for criticizing its favorite book series.
    You know, Aliroz, they were my favourite book series, too.  Even right now i can't think of a series i enjoyed more.

Nevertheless, even at my most devoted, i definitely enjoyed the last two books a little less.
  • man now that i reread that post it's weirdly condecending

that wasnt the intention
  • The End game didn't start until book #45, so I understand why you'd give up, Tach

You did miss Cassie going to Australia and "The Arrival", which is one of my favorites out of the ghost-written books, so you missed out on a lot

Oh, and also #36, which is basically Animorphs in Bioshock by way of Innsmouth. It's great.
  • kill living beings
    "it", huh? i have problems with that one
  • that post got cut short towards the end, because my sister and my mom are screaming at one another so now im feeling 8/

:(
  • Tachyon said:

. . . wow

it's only 11pm in the states
    (2015 self)
    Jane said:

Tachyon said:

. . . wow

Actually, nine.
  • Aliroz said:

Jane said:

Tachyon said:

. . . wow

Actually, nine.
    ok it's 11pm on the east coast and 9pm in....

U...tah?

I forgot where you live again. Stop moving, Aliroz |:|
  • kill living beings
    Actually,,, I think you'l'l find the time in Guam is

How odd.
  • edited 2016-01-14 04:24:17
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Jane said:

Tachyon said:

. . . wow

Fossilmaiden lives in England

man now that i reread that post it's weirdly condecending

that wasnt the intention
    it's not, but i missed it the first time

The End game didn't start until book #45, so I understand why you'd give up, Tach

You did miss Cassie going to Australia and "The Arrival", which is one of my favorites out of the ghost-written books, so you missed out on a lot

Oh, and also #36, which is basically Animorphs in Bioshock by way of Innsmouth. It's great.
    i might see if i can get hold of the later books some time, just to see how it ended
  • Actually,,, I think you'l'l find the time in Guam is

looks like it's 2:23 PM

BITCH
  • edited 2016-01-14 04:26:39
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Here you go, Tach. I downloaded a few years ago, and was fine, so they're at least safe.
  • @Tach I thought you were just remarking at the number of people awake in general
    The time on the moon is 48-11-28 ∇ 22:39
    engagement curve turned out not to be what i was thinking it was

so it's the ratio effort:reward, basically?  plotted on a graph

i feel like this is something i'd possibly attempt to debate were i more wakeful, but perhaps shouldn't

i would say i found the Harry Potter books incredibly easy to read, and enjoyed them a lot

also that books about philosophy have so far struck me as having a much steeper difficulty curve than books on other subjects e.g. psychology, history, most math
  • Yeah basically

this isnt something that i have a grand theory on or anything, its just a mental tool i use when thinking about stuff
  • edited 2016-01-14 04:37:01
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    All this talk about childrens books makes me think of how weird it is that Philip Pullman of all people wrote a book where the protagonist and his friend had their problems solved by a benevolent omnipotent being.
    thanks, Crystal

i will have to give those a look, now i have no excuse for not doing so
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Cute Takagi, Inane. And no problem Tach.
  • is she ever not cute?
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Unfortunately, yes, even if such times are quite rare.

• How odd.

Dragon's Dogma was a really good game. The one thing that irks me about it is how your character gets locked into certain stat growths, rather than using a system like Bravely Default, where the base stats of the characters are consistent but have modifiers applied by their class. 
  • Bravely Default

that was a game I realllllly wanted to like. 

is she ever not cute?

• i wanted to like it but it cost 40 dollars and this is my third time starting to share that anecdote
  • edited 2016-01-14 05:02:25
    ^^^ Was it the endgame that put you off? Because that was pretty nuts, and not always in good ways. 
  • edited 2016-01-14 05:05:27

^ ^ ^ pfft
  • ^^^ Was it the endgame that put you off? Because that was pretty nuts, and not always in good ways. 

Never got that far.

It's just

this is gonna sound super reductive, but it's a JRPG, and I don't like those.

For some reason I felt like BD would be the one to make the genre "click" with me but it didn't. Stupid in hindsight given what I know about my own preferences I suppose.
  • I thought it did some neat things will turn sequences and character builds, but it is still very much a JRPG. As JRPG as JRPGs get, really.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I spent the last few hours reading a BL webcomic about a boy on a space colony who doesn't remember even a little bit about his upcoming wedding to a very powerful young dragon lord.

It's pretty good.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    sexy fine
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    there's an avatar i haven't seen in a while
    Bar Stutterfly
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    party like it's 2010
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    reblog if you ship percy and pierre