The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• We can do anything if we do it together.

Cave Story is a very good game.

I don't like how it puts unskippable cutscenes in front of hard bosses, and some stuff is a bit obtuse, but it's just a world I really really like spending time in.

Also Balrog.
    The controls are also a bit slippery, but that's a common defect among modern platformers for some reason.
  • I was introduced to anime through Voltron and Pokémon, but did not jump into it until many years later, as a university student.

I rarely watched TV otherwise.  As a kid, I was briefly enamored with America's Funniest Home Videos, but I no longer am.  Jeopardy is perennially enjoyable, but not something I intentionally seek out.  We did as a family watch a TV series telling the story of the Journey to the West, but that was an isolated thing.  Only as a university student was I introduced to Law & Order and Veronica Mars.  (Due to the easy availability of the former, it has stuck with me more, while I have yet to watch the latter to any significant extent.)

It was also uncommon for me to see movies.  My dad did so more often, but to me as a kid the movie theater was just some other thing that occasionally happened in my life, as I didn't much enjoy movies since I often didn't understand what was going on.  I often felt that I understood things in TV shows much better than in the short time that movies happened in.

An in-depth and extensive exposure to videogames thus formed the bulk of my entertainment in my formative years.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    my family watched a lot of TV, unfortunately.

I never went to see movies, though. I've been in a movie theater maybe twice in my life.
  • My dreams exceed my real life

I don't like how it puts unskippable cutscenes in front of hard bosses, and some stuff is a bit obtuse, but it's just a world I really really like spending time in.

Also Balrog.
    The controls are also a bit slippery, but that's a common defect among modern platformers for some reason.
    I suppose, but they are slippery in a kind of predictable way I find easy to adjust to.
  • Well aside from playing music of course.

Also Balrog.
    I suppose, but they are slippery in a kind of predictable way I find easy to adjust to.
    Yeah, I got used to the controls pretty quickly myself.

I'm just saying that's a thing Tach will have to get used to.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i'm loving the title music
  • Tachyon said:

what

right now?

When you feel like it, I mean.
    No, we mean right now.

Unless there's something you absolutely must do right now, you should be playing Cave Story
    can we not

Cave Story is a great game (and one of my all-time favorites) but it does not seem right to push it onto someone who's not in the mood for it, important to the field as though it may be

(sorry)
  • then again i guess it's moot since it seems like tachyon has willingly started anyway
  • Jane said:

They're both monstrously evil huge corporations anyway, don't act like either one has any kind of social justice high ground.

how is "the Joker has a dumb design in this movie" anyone claiming moral high ground.

I hate Marvel stuff but I hate how DC handles its characters more.

honestly, at this point, Warner Bros. Animation seems better than DC
  • Signs I've been looking at Chemistry homework too long: STP makes me think "standard temperature and pressure" before "Stone Temple Pilots"

i have never heard of Stone Temple Pilots

sorry -_-
    it's ok GMH

i'm going to play it at my own pace, i'm not going to race through it when i don't feel like it just because people said to play it
    oh this is a remake or an expanded version or something i think?

should i play with the original music or the remastered?
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

Jane said:

I am with you about most things but Joker from the Suicide Squad movie looks fucking stupid.

Not in a funny way either, it just looks dumb.
    The whole movie looks absurd and trashy, which is way more #Aesthetic than any Marvel or DC movie has had in the last ten years.

To be honest, while I am with the beau in being dog tired of this shit, I can actually get behind this sentiment. I have a soft spot for shamelessly ridiculous things.
  • edited 2015-12-04 22:04:06
    Tachyon said:

oh this is a remake or an expanded version or something i think?

should i play with the original music or the remastered?

Are you playing Cave Story + on Steam/Wii/NDS?

I haven't played that version.  I've played the original freeware version though.

I personally quite like the original music.
    . . . i got it on steam and now i learn it's freeware

well, whatever, if it's good they deserve money for it

(although i don't know if i'm going to like it yet)
    anyway, original music it is for now

i can always change it if i feel like it later
  • Tachyon said:

. . . i got it on steam and now i learn it's freeware

well, whatever, if it's good they deserve money for it

(although i don't know if i'm going to like it yet)

I believe the paid version is remastered or something.

I have never played Cave Story at length either. Got myself the freeware version, learned it didn't have controller support, and just never bothered.
    + has controller support, FWIW.

I can actually gift you that version if you want.
    nah i already paid for it, i'd just never gotten around to playing it

this is unusual for me, i just haven't been playing many games lately

going to go on easy mode, since that's what they're recommending for first-time players
  • + has controller support, FWIW.

I can actually gift you that version if you want.

eh, maybe sometime.

Right now I need to actually focus on things so I'd rather have fewer distractions.
    DOWN to go through doors?  this is gonna confuse me
  • Pitchfork reviewed Pope Francis' rock album and copped out by not giving it a score.
    They did the same thing to Meow the Jewels.

I think it's fair to do that in both cases.
    i stole a gun from a sleeping gunsmith and i don't yet know if this is the sort of game where this will have repercussions
  • I am preparing a pound of Brussels Sprouts for my personal consumption
    i think i just got murdered by a door?  i'm confused
  • Tachyon said:

i think i just got murdered by a door?  i'm confused

try murdering the door before it murders you
    sound advice
    personally, lack of controller support is the main problem I had when I tried Cave Story. Maybe I should try the controllerable version
    i did that and am now in Mimiga Village
  • personally, lack of controller support is the main problem I had when I tried Cave Story. Maybe I should try the controllerable version

finally, something i disagree with you about on gaming
    Surely you've disagreed with me about gaming things before.
  • The experience of Cave Story was soured quite a bit for me because I didn't realize that "Hard Mode" meant "fuck you, you get 1 HP mode."

I got as far as, uh, the boss with the tow rope next to it.

personally, lack of controller support is the main problem I had when I tried Cave Story. Maybe I should try the controllerable version

Yeah, I think that would be a good idea.

Kexruct said:

The experience of Cave Story was soured quite a bit for me because I didn't realize that "Hard Mode" meant "fuck you, you get 1 HP mode."

Dude, you really need to get over your weird difficulty mode phobia.
    i talked to Mimigas and they didn't die!

i am relieved

i think Anodyne gave me trust issues
  • personally, lack of controller support is the main problem I had when I tried Cave Story. Maybe I should try the controllerable version

Yeah, I think that would be a good idea.

Kexruct said:

The experience of Cave Story was soured quite a bit for me because I didn't realize that "Hard Mode" meant "fuck you, you get 1 HP mode."

Dude, you really need to get over your weird difficulty mode phobia.
    Last time I played it was like three years ago. I'm "over" the phobia I guess but that doesn't retroactively improve the experience I had with the game.

• Know your lines? Of course you know your lines! But I don't want to just hear your lines...I wanna hear what's in YOUR SOULS!!
    I remember hearing the remake of Cave Story got major flak, mostly because Nicalis messed with the script and used mods without permission

ah crap

i'm stuck in a shack with a raging Mimiga

what do
    ^^^^ The way you were arguing a couple months ago doesn't indicate that you're "over" it to me, but whatever.

^^ I honestly like the remake, but I think it helps that was my first exposure to the game.
    do i shoot it

will it die if i shoot it

is this a world where people die when they're killed
  • ^^^^ The way you were arguing a couple months ago doesn't indicate that you're "over" it to me, but whatever.

Man to be fucking honest I kind of wish people would respect my opinion on a particular facet of game design and not patronize me over it.
  • edited 2015-12-04 22:54:09
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    edit: actually we are not starting this again
    ^^ It is a consistent pattern of yours, as shown from your argument and what you just said about CS.

FWIW, I played Easy on CS and that was still pretty challenging to me.
    i shot someone and they didn't die

relieved

then the kool aid man???
    kool aid boxbot