The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• Also they're things that he demonstrably doesn't care about
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Well idk, i don't read TitS' twitter, i'm just going by what people say here.

I need a term for non-magic-users that doesn't have the connotation of looking down on them for not having magic...

Is magic learned, or genetic?

If learned, 'the uninitiated' could work.

(i feel like fairies would probably not worry too much about being insulting to non-magic users)
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I will say his latest Cinemadonna seemed on the money about that movie.
    For a genuine (and non-nihilist) attempt to defy the Nietzschean hegemony one should turn to another highly successful animated film, Ice Age (2002), which reads as an ideological rejoinder to The Lion King. Here too we have a literal blond beast, the prehistoric tiger Diego, a ruthless predator who reluctantly joins Manny the mammoth and Sid the sloth, in a journey through the icy wilderness, which confronts us with a compelling image of our own age of ice-cold, survival-of-the-fittest global scene. Diego begins to melt down in a scene which deconstructs one of the greatest anathemas of our, Nietzschean, times: the herd. Diego’s life is saved by Manny, who puts his own life on the balance. Astonished, he asks for an explanation for such altruism and gets the terse answer: “That’s what you do in a herd. You look out for each other.” To which Sid the sloth – himself a triumphant vindication of one of our age’s most reviled specimen: the (poor) freeloader – immediately adds: “I don’t know about you guys, but we are the weirdest herd I’ve ever seen”Ice Age attempts to transcend the Nietzschean branding of the herd as a locus of mediocrity, anonymity and cowardice. The herd in the film, by contrast is composed of three distinct but equally valued personalities, that complete and enhance each other, providing much-needed solidarity, aid and affection, to go through the harsh winter of social Darwinism. As Sid declares, after outsmarting a larger predator: “Survival of the fittest? I don’t think so!” As against The Lion King’s insistence on eternal, sacrosanct hierarchy, Ice Age challenges the alleged laws of natural order of rank. As if to spite Hibbs-cum-Nietzsche, it stubbornly refuses ‘to distinguish between higher and lower’. Beyond the fact that the herd admits no such distinctions – its premise being equality in difference – the powerful master of the natural world, Man, the supreme hunter, is taught a lesson in compassion by the three brutes, who return to him his lost baby. 
  • edited 2015-10-30 17:04:15
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    OpAPHID said:

I need a term for non-magic-users that doesn't have the connotation of looking down on them for not having magic...

(i feel like fairies would probably not worry too much about being insulting to non-magic users)
    This makes me think learned and/or, and how learnable it is. Do you have to go to an Academy to be a magic user? Is it possible to learn in nonstandard ways, but looked down upon, and/or restricted, and/or ineffective? Etc.?

I specify this because there is surely a system to it, and I'd like to understand the system first before commenting on those outside of the system(s?).
  • kill living beings
    peeps

surgery... it's hard
  • you would think that it's pretty easy given that peeps don't have internal organs
  • edited 2015-10-30 17:15:04
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Y'know, while i'm a little unsure how seriously to take the reading of Ice Age as concerned with or responding to Nietzschean values, i quite like the interpretation of it as a rejoinder to The Lion King.

i've said before, Disney movies tend to skew towards a certain conservatism, relative to the time at which they came out.  A lot has been written about the assumed social hierarchy in The Lion King, that's not really in question.  Ice Age is certainly concerned with the nature of the herd, and the promotion of 'equality in difference' seems like a fair summation of the film's expressed morals.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Afterbirth is 15 minutes late.

THE BLOOD MUST FLOW.
  • Unlike tacos, gyros form part of the sandwich family and are differentiated from other hand-held semi-folded foods by their complete over-wrap but unsecured lower flap.
  • I'm enjoying a burrito.

I like burritos.
    i like Invincible but it sure sounds a lot like Everybody's Changing

an observation everyone else made already probably
  • edited 2015-10-30 18:13:30
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    oh hey, not only is Retro TV still around, they are running some weird stuff. 

for example: It is delicious 1980s CanCon, you must watch it. :O Also, old episodes of things like The Doctors.
  • Adam Sandler just stabbed method man in the throat with a shoe
  • this will never get old
  • > TitS

lol i'm seeing this and thinking "Trails in the Sky"
    i don't know what that is

it's also open to more puerile readings, so i probably shouldn't use that abbreviation
  • edited 2015-10-30 18:44:44
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    So I'm totally gaming my first run of BoI: Afterbirth and it is delicious. Gonna get so OP.

Oh God. Oh no oh man oh god no. The Dunce Hat gives you double R U A Wizard? shots.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

OpAPHID said:

This makes me think learned and/or, and how learnable it is. Do you have to go to an Academy to be a magic user? Is it possible to learn in nonstandard ways, but looked down upon, and/or restricted, and/or ineffective? Etc.?

I specify this because there is surely a system to it, and I'd like to understand the system first before commenting on those outside of the system(s?).
    I always figured that everyone is born with a certain level of innate magic, ranging from almost none to Princess Alice, but to use it effectively you need practice and training.

To that end I'd say formal schooling isn't necessary, but a lot of people go for it to try to hone their abilities most efficiently. Lily Weiss, I've always thought, is a bit of a self-taught witch, in addition to her shapeshifting powers.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
  • :3 said:

this exact discussion is why I will never read another comic book ever again

the medium has been permanently soiled

comic books gave us Little Lotta, they can't be all bad
  • lee4hmz said:

oh hey, not only is Retro TV still around, they are running some weird stuff. 

for example: It is delicious 1980s CanCon, you must watch it. :O Also, old episodes of things like The Doctors.
    all the "good" stuff got snatched away by MeTV and such
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    yeah, so I noticed....I don't think my cable system back home even carries Retro TV anymore. If I want to run any of this back to look for logos or other ephemera, I'd have to hook up the VCR. :P
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    They have vintage Doctor Who, MST3K, and a bunch of old Filmation toons.

It's a really weird schedule, and not entirely in a bad way.
  • sometimes I wonder how much Filmation product would air on a hypothetical DreamWorks Animation channel
  • The following message has no context except this post.
  • cha-ha-bing-bing-bing-bing-

*chair*
    *dog pee*
    *post-combustion capture*
    *ferrous oxide*
    *Ichamenid*
    *wonder-kong*
  • edited 2015-10-30 20:22:25
    I am slowly perfecting the art of nothing.

Note: the art of nothing is not an art.  Milhouse, however, is a meme.
  • edited 2015-10-30 20:28:45
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    In this context, is 'nothing' an abstract noun or the present participle form of the verb 'to noth'?
  • 0vvvv0 said:

*"Gay Bar" plays in the background*

i did a lip sync for my life to this at a drag party and won the best drag queen prize

yntkt

Envy, I am feeling right now.
    envy of me for winning, or being able to do that, or for the people witnessing it, or, like, all of the above?
  • :3 said:

I want gyros

i ate an... Iranian kebab shwarma type thing earlier and it was good
  • OpAPHID said:

In this context, is 'nothing' an abstract noun or the present participle form of the verb 'to noth'?

> to noth

Logan Airport in New York City

explanation: Chris Noth is the actor who plays Detective Mike Logan in Law & Order.  Logan is the name of Boston's airport.
  • i would also make a pun on stopping feeling (up) Envy, except that would lead to a FMA joke and I don't know FMA well enough to handle the result
    ah

a proper noun

i would also make a pun on stopping feeling (up) Envy, except that would lead to a FMA joke and I don't know FMA well enough to handle the result

i know FMA well enough to know that feeling up Envy is a very dangerous proposition
  • OpAPHID said:

ah

a proper noun

that was only the context of that post, not the context of that post
  • i am eating a cinnamon sugar pop tart with nacho cheese dip
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I've eaten next to nothing today because eating has been a legitimate difficulty today, never mind yada yada yada. Eventually I'll just stuff myself full and feel lazy, probably.
    what flavor

I've eaten next to nothing today because eating has been a legitimate difficulty today, never mind yada yada yada. Eventually I'll just stuff myself full and feel lazy, probably.

:(

Hope you feel more up to eating after you get back.
    "Less Wrong forms its opinions based on hard-headed empiricism and a disdain for empty verbiage" is basically equivalent to "Fundamentalists are just basing their beliefs on the older tradition of reading the bible literally, which has gone out of fashion in our secular age"
  • hey opaphid

how are you op

because aphids tend to be pretty up
    In that they're both wrong and based on taking both groups on their own words without actually analyzing them or investigating their claims.
  • edited 2015-10-30 20:50:50
    i could put a table on a table so i could...

...i'm sorry, i can't write while i write.  unless one of them is a distraction.
    Aphid was so OP that when she quit the show the Order's competence dropped like a stone
    Acknowledge their Position and Help to Initiate a Dialogue :)
    though there is the competing hypothesis that the H in Aphid stands for 'holla'