The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• I love Undertale.
  • I need a term for non-magic-users that doesn't have the connotation of looking down on them for not having magic...

You'd probably just have to make something up.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    ~ said:

Learning that the Oxford comma is less common in British English stuns me. Shouldn't it be called the Harvard comma then?

X-Inhumans are a large magnitude less bad than Letojoker, who I feel we should just comply with his wishes and actually throw the bastard in jail, even if no charges have been made.

Yeah, X-Inhumans are just a plot device (or licensing rights device, I guess). They never sent anyone dead animals or whatever.

X-Inhumans also includes Kamela Khan, who is very cool, and good.

X-Inhumans are a large magnitude less bad than Letojoker, who I feel we should just comply with his wishes and actually throw the bastard in jail, even if no charges have been made.

You people have no taste or perspective whatsoever
  • further proving that taste is ultimately a measure of agreement, nothing more
    Nope, this is objectively true, there is no point in denying it.
    Unless you want Marvel/Disney to absorb all fiction in its suffocating grasp.
  • fiction must die because it fails to extol the glory of sredni vashtar, who is the most gracious and wise of all beings
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    The X-Inhumans aren't traumatizing people or one step away from murder and staining the ground red with blood for stupid reasons.

The X-Inhumans aren't traumatizing people or one step away from murder and staining the ground red with blood for stupid reasons.

HOW DARE they do this to evil clown who murders people.

I mean, Marvel is just fulfilling the worthy goal of maintaining the unmitigated flow of Content.

Also fiction isn't real.
  • Kamala Khan is pretty awesome, and yet, let's be honest, she could have happened without any help from the Terrigen mists
  • Torgo said:

Also fiction isn't real.
    Well, yes, that's the point. Jared Leto, the actual person in real life, sent other actual people in real life dead animals. X-Inhumans...I don't even know what you have against them? Or why you decided to compare these two dissimilar situations to begin with?
  • Kamala Khan is pretty awesome, and yet, let's be honest, she could have happened without any help from the Terrigen mists

This is true. 

But by doing it this way, she got a big teleporting dog to adventure with.
    ~ said:

Torgo said:

Also fiction isn't real.
    Well, yes, that's the point. Jared Leto, the actual person in real life, sent other actual people in real life dead animals. X-Inhumans...I don't even know what you have against them? Or why you decided to compare these two dissimilar situations to begin with?
    Totally not in keeping with the evil clown who kills people
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I'm not even talking about the Joker. The Joker kills people, we all know this.

Leto is going to kill someone and when he does you will remember what I said this day.
    Also it's making a good thing into a lame thing out of anger at not having unlimited access to money.
    And nobody fucking cares, because we NEED TO CONSUME CONTENT FROM OUR FAVORITE CONTENT CREATORS FOREVER, NEVER QUESTION THAT
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Torgo said:

And nobody fucking cares, because we NEED TO CONSUME CONTENT FROM OUR FAVORITE CONTENT CREATORS FOREVER, NEVER QUESTION THAT

Dude, I just said that I was highly frustrated by the Fantastic Four situation myself, and I haven't seen an MCU film in literally years at this point and will likely never watch one again.

Don't lump us all into that being.
    We'll all look back at this wretched time and we'll all feel the guilt.

"Oh my God," we'll say. "We did this. We let a monster into our home, knowingly. We could have stopped it at any time, but we didn't, because we wanted to see how far it'd go. We killed them too."
    Be more interesting than the rancid shitpile that was Winter Soldier
    Winter Soldier's success is worth the lives of at least four people.

Five if they're assholes.
    Leto will never stop at five and we all know it.
    WE WILL ALL BE GUILTY AND NO GOD ALIVE CAN WASH AWAY OUR SINS
    Civil War is also happening.
  • this exact discussion is why I will never read another comic book ever again

the medium has been permanently soiled
    I can scream horrible nonsense with the best of them, I hope I've proved that.
    :3 said:

this exact discussion is why I will never read another comic book ever again

That's fine, you do you.

GOOD

These discussions are a part of why I want to read more, so I'm amused by the polarized reactions we have here.
    WE ARE THE DEAD
    This would be the easiest fucking thing to let me have, but goddamnit Content Must Be Consumed.

I am, as always, the stupid annoying one.
    Torgo said:

This would be the easiest fucking thing to let me have, but goddamnit Content Must Be Consumed.

Once again, I don't ever want to watch another MCU film and I still dislike modern superhero comics, so you've got me on your side already.
    Torgo said:

No, it isn't.

And no, you aren't.

But you do scream horrible nonsense over something that matters to me, and I'm very tired of it.
  • edited 2015-10-30 16:33:32
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Like yeah, I'm also probably not going to watch another superhero movie ever again, but I cannot view it as a horrible transgression against God and man, all I feel is sadness and regret over missed opportunities, paths not taken.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Our chemistry TAs got in the holiday spirit by torching a jack-o-lantern during today's lecture

:D
    I eat your bile. Every time you do this. I eat it. I have to. 

Because it's something I love, that I cannot stop, and maybe I shouldn't be like this, but I am what I am and we are the choices we make.
    I also don't want to be told that I am a horrible, disgusting person for the things that I am.
  • I take offense to being castigated by my own side for not being bloodthirsty enough, Myr.

I'll pick DC over Marvel any day. You know that. But I refuse to fall in lockstep with every decision DC does
  • I mean, I let you have this in the sense that you have made me permanently unable to enjoy something I previously enjoyed quite a bit, so there's that.
    Sorry
  • WE ARE THE DEAD

That's pretty neat, but I was thinking of The Protomen.
    I honestly don't know what to say right now.

I also don't ever want to do this again. I'd like it if we just left it at "I hate superhero movies and the cultural monopoly certain corporative entities have," and that's something I can honestly half-way agree with.

I don't want to come here and be told that I'm what's wrong with the universe.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    You're not 'what's wrong with the universe'.

The Jared Leto thing was weird (isn't he a vegan animal rights activist?) but i don't think it has anything to do with the movie itself, which might be good.
    ~ said:

Learning that the Oxford comma is less common in British English stuns me. Shouldn't it be called the Harvard comma then?

It's so called because in the UK, The Oxford Style Manual is one of very few to recommend its use (although Fowler's is also in favour).

Wikipedia informs me that it *is*, in fact, sometimes call the Harvard comma, though.
    Torgo said:

also i do wanna say

i do see your point here, but feel this is a false dichotomy.

Todd overemphasizes certain technical aspects of writing and ignores the things that arguably matter the most.  But continuity, worldbuilding and structuring are devices writers use to create meaning, and i don't feel they're inherently opposed to spectacle, characters or emotion.