• the normalization of violence
  • the shaping of a new paradigm
  • the dawn of a new era
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    moooo
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    normalization is an actual thing that happens

you don't care, whatever

i mean i could explain my reasoning but i don't think you actually want to hear it
    grumpytach

idk
  • I'm down for hearing anything
  • better than looking at clothes in the mall
    well, when i asked people not to say 'loli' or 'shota' it was because on communities where people use these words jokingly/ironically/flippantly a lot, you get other people coming along who will figure it's ok to use them sincerely, and that the underlying sentiment is acceptable

same thing as happens with slurs that get used ironically a lot

for a case in point see 4chan
    though i guess it's not an issue here since membership is invite only
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Audio normalization is the application of a constant amount of gain to an audio recording to bring the average or peak amplitude to a target level (the norm). Because the same amount of gain is applied across the given range, the signal-to-noise ratio and relative dynamics are generally unchanged. Normalization differs from dynamic range compression, which applies varying levels of gain over a recording to fit the level within a minimum and maximum range. Normalization is one of the functions commonly provided by a digital audio workstation.
    Audio normalization is fine by me.
    Actually i'm not sure about that, but it's not some terrible thing i'm going to pick fights over.
  • yeah, I am p sure we all know that having sex with children is bad
    bored

i could go do something productive

or i could get myself some food and watch cartoons

obviously it will be the latter
  • edited 2015-09-13 19:36:23
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    -
    i don't actually want this argument, i just brought it up because i figured if i didn't someone would probably say that, since i had complained about people saying something i don't like, i had no right to object to people telling me not to say things they didn't like
  • Kexruct said:

Wait who

central avenue
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Tachyon said:

So i have a book, Time and Philosophy by John McCumber.

It's a history of continental philosophy, and during his introduction McCumber takes pains to argue that continental philosophy is a real tradition, not merely a collection of associated ideas or a kitchen-sink category for Western philosophy outside the analytic tradition (which i honestly suspect it of being).

But he does this by basically establishing a canon, which includes philosophers who i guess could be considered Hegelian, Marxists and Existentialists and those influenced by them.  He contrasts this with traditional philosophy.  Traditional philosophy is atemporal, continental philosophy is temporal; it reminds me of the synchronic/diachronic distinction de Saussure made, though McCumber hasn't made that comparison (as far as i've read, anyway).

So Habermas is out, of no interest, as he is a traditional philosopher whose ideas did not provoke a temporalizing reaction, according to McCumber.  Kant and Husserl are in, but only because of their influence on continental thinkers; they are themselves traditional philosophers.  Sartre is accused of traditional sympathies, as is Badiou with the caveat that he limits the scope of traditional philosophy sharply (science, art, love and politics are all temporal processes for Badiou).

Thoughts on this, @Odradek?  It seems to me like he is narrowing the definition of continental philosophy a lot here (and that many analytics probably would not agree that they are merely following in Plato's footsteps where continental philosophers are not).

I feel like it's a legitimate argument to make, but a better word is needed than "Continental" I think. 

"The term "Continental" is something of a grab-bag, but within it there is a distinct philosophical lineage and tradition which I shall now call whatever" might be a better way to phrase it.

But I have not read the book, so I don't know for sure.

Kant and Husserl are definitely more interested in the things that interest analytic philosophers, than most of the philosophers considered "continental" though.
  • edited 2015-09-13 19:01:11
    -
    i'm sorry for bringing this up.
  • I was joking, I was gonna say anonus but then i thought anonus would be more likely to be offended than see that I was joking
    oh

um

should i delete that?
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I fail to see any big issue here.
  • you can if you want
  • Crystal said:

I fail to see any big issue here.

me neither, I'm maybe a little confused as to what is going on
    well, it's a touchy subject and i wouldn't want people to read that and judge CA harshly for it, that's all

but you were joking so it's cool
  • idk why anyone would judge her harshly for it but ok

I guess I have tread upon dangerous ground

you might say

im in

the danger zone
  • seriously though this outing with my dad for his birthday has been fucking awful because my sister keeps on trying to make it "special" while its pretty obvious that like he just wants to chill
  • now she's like reading the wine menu trying to be funny
  • and she says I need to chill every time I try to keep her in check
  • (*falls over*)
    sounds irritating
  • I hate getting existential.

But clearly this resentment means I'm stupid and in denial of everything being meaningless

And this feeling of emotional dishonesty is why I continue getting existential
  • what does getting existential mean

I presume it does not involve moping about a Parisian café
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    When Confederate soldiers kidnap Mrs. Lincoln, Grant retaliates by kidnapping Robert E. Lee's wife.
  • Basically it means those times where my mind starts wandering in the direction of "fuck fuck fuck everything is meaningless because meaning doesn't exist nothing I do matters because the idea of mattering doesn't exist fuck I am the sum total of predetermined tendencies and my environment and free will if it exists it only consists of completely arbitrary, weightless actions fuck shit fuck"

And then of course I start thinking about religion and dying.
  • And because of how my mind works I actively resist NOT thinking about those things because, hey, not thinking is just allowing yourself to be in denial, you fucking intellectually lazy sheeple
    if meaning etc. doesn't exist, then neither do whatever set of values you're applying that suggest this is a bad thing, surely?

in which case it wouldn't be denial and there's no reason to dwell on unpleasant thoughts
  • Any semblance of meaning I can define says it's dishonest not to dwell on these things.
  • edited 2015-09-13 19:28:59
    Odradek said:

Tachyon said:

So i have a book, Time and Philosophy by John McCumber.

It's a history of continental philosophy, and during his introduction McCumber takes pains to argue that continental philosophy is a real tradition, not merely a collection of associated ideas or a kitchen-sink category for Western philosophy outside the analytic tradition (which i honestly suspect it of being).

But he does this by basically establishing a canon, which includes philosophers who i guess could be considered Hegelian, Marxists and Existentialists and those influenced by them.  He contrasts this with traditional philosophy.  Traditional philosophy is atemporal, continental philosophy is temporal; it reminds me of the synchronic/diachronic distinction de Saussure made, though McCumber hasn't made that comparison (as far as i've read, anyway).

So Habermas is out, of no interest, as he is a traditional philosopher whose ideas did not provoke a temporalizing reaction, according to McCumber.  Kant and Husserl are in, but only because of their influence on continental thinkers; they are themselves traditional philosophers.  Sartre is accused of traditional sympathies, as is Badiou with the caveat that he limits the scope of traditional philosophy sharply (science, art, love and politics are all temporal processes for Badiou).

Thoughts on this, @Odradek?  It seems to me like he is narrowing the definition of continental philosophy a lot here (and that many analytics probably would not agree that they are merely following in Plato's footsteps where continental philosophers are not).

I feel like it's a legitimate argument to make, but a better word is needed than "Continental" I think. 

"The term "Continental" is something of a grab-bag, but within it there is a distinct philosophical lineage and tradition which I shall now call whatever" might be a better way to phrase it.

But I have not read the book, so I don't know for sure.

Kant and Husserl are definitely more interested in the things that interest analytic philosophers, than most of the philosophers considered "continental" though.
    i never responded to this.

The book was quite favorably reviewed on NDPR, though they noted that the chapters on Marx and Sartre were weak.

Interesting to hear you say that, about Kant and Husserl.
    Kexruct said:

Any semblance of meaning I can define says it's dishonest not to dwell on these things.

Then you have a defined semblance of meaning, which is the next best thing to having a meaning, isn't it?

(i'm going to be annoying Odradek so much with this, i bet.)
  • I wonder if there is a Hotel Transylvania fandom
  • That doesn't solve all the problems, though.

Like I still feel weightless

And I'm still afraid of nonexistence
    it scares me too, tbh

*offers hug*