The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• Got a reed diffuser for my room, since I'm not allowed candles. 

There is nowhere that says that I am not allowed a reed diffuser. 
  • God, why do I feel so guilty about this?
    • Not the Nine O'Clock News did this with the rather threatening British television licence PSA campaign using the slogan "Get a TV licence - it's cheaper than a fine"; their parody showed The BBC instead staging plane crashes for people that didn't pay their licence fee and then having their houses bulldozed, with the slogan "Get a TV licence — it's cheaper than a funeral".
  • Turns out I'm allergic to the reed diffuser. Go figure.

So I'm going to give it to the bestie as a birthday present.
  • My dreams exceed my real life

Mark is improving. He's commiting to deal with the problem FIRST, and THEN giving animal facts.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    naney said:

i wasnt really posting that because "wow looks celebrities are actually teh smart"

it was more "wow, she's kinda eccentric"

TBF, it's hard to say whether those stories are actually real.
  • I don't really care if it's real or not
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I'm confused now, but okay.

I don't doubt that her public persona is mostly an act, FWIW.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    You know, it would be interesting if a game like Cities: Skylines made you deal with the safety implications of poorly designed highways instead of just the congestion implications.

Like, I know I've built some S-curves with too tight a radius, or highway ramps too short to get up to speed, but as long as they can adequately carry the levels of traffic the game doesn't care.

Even SimCity 4, which did simulate car accidents, only based them on congestion rather than the physical geometry of the road. So many four-lane highways with hairpin S-curves @_@
  • Having a Domino's tonight.

Because fuck yeah.
  • Too early for Domino's?
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    is that a pizza place across the pond as well?
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    yes
    and it's never the wrong time for pizza

tho i'm kinda meh on domino's
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    People should stop saying "this."

As in:
    Person A  - "I am very tired."
    Person B - "This."

It's a TVTism and I hate it.
  • The pizza and wedges have arrived!

Although I have given myself hiccups.
    What's wrong with TVTisms?  Most of us here are/used to be on TVT.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I could go for some pizza.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    also I don't think it's that much of a TVTism?
    Related terms;

"This, this, THIS!"

"[X] is this, and blah blah fucking blah."

Hate them. Hate them all.
  • Feel really sick now.

Worth it.
  • edited 2015-09-13 16:48:25
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Lin, those aren't unique to TVT. They were certainly popular on the site and forums, which wasn't helped by certain tropes like X Just X, but it's all the same "I agree with this person' as "this" on Tumblr or "+1" on Reddit. I don't really see an inherent issue with them, even if they can potentially be kind of lazy compared to longer responses? But sometimes people just don't feel like being so elaborate, or do uniformly agree with X, so asking for people to stop saying overall innocuous stuff like that strikes me as a bit silly.
  • Bleh, going to lie down for a bit. Feel really really sick.
    :(

Feel better, Toolsie.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

This is a short stretch of I-75 in Kentucky, near Cincinnati, called Cut-in-the-Hill.

I first saw this highway in person in 2010, nearly 20 years after it was rebuilt, so I had no idea how treacherous it used to be.

They were impressively thorough with the redesign; there's effectively no trace of that S-curve left.
  • edited 2015-09-13 16:54:50
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    People should always find something to say. It's a very useful skill, to weave out unique comments easily. They don't have to be elaborate or long, just novel.

And like, you think "this" gets my haunches? You think it makes me upset? What makes me even more upset is when there's a comment that goes; "this," and then there's a much longer, one-paragraph long elaborative comment. It's pure fucking laziness followed by not being able to help yourself. If you typed out "this" and then thought of something to say, you should go back, delete it, and have the sentence fucking flow.

You are right, though. I am overall a pretty silly person.
    I don't know if I'm going blind or just tired.
    This was a bizarre Wikipedia tangent I've taken throughout the weekend

Looney Tunes --> Mel Blanc --> Dead Man's Curve (Los Angeles) --> other dangerous/inadequately designed highways
    @MachSpeed Fair enough if it bothers you, but i kinda don't see what's wrong with it.  i mean, if you take the time to type a full response clearly you're not saying 'this' out of laziness, you're saying it to express your agreement with the quoted post, which you then elaborate upon.

@ CA

• edited 2015-09-13 17:01:20
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    @Mach: I kind of do that in IRC, since I sporadically type in a stream-of-consciousness fashion, "Well okay that doesn't make sense, but actually yes it does, suddenly I have textwalled you, oops." Mind you, I don't prefer plusone's, but it's also not my business about what should be said and is easy to gloss over

Tach makes a good point too.
    "this" or "+1" is also probably kinder to the types of people who will tl;dr longer paragraphs, though perhaps that's not a habit that should be indulged
    @Tachyon: Pretty much, yeah. It helps that I ended up on a topic that's directly relevant to my obsessive interests :P
    i was gonna strim the lawn, but it's clouding over

maybe i should do it quick now
  • edited 2015-09-13 17:14:35
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Alternatives:
    • "i agree with you"
    • "you make a good point"
    • "i relate to that feeling"
    • "yes, that has happened to me"
    • "there is wisdom in your words"
    • "fuckin' a you're right"
    • "absolutely true"
    • "you deserve oral sex right now for being so right"
    • "i hear what you're saying, and i agree"
    • "i acknowledge the validity of your arguments"
    • "i concur"
    • "garbage man is correct, promote him to garbage boss"
    • etc
  • MachSpeed said:

Alternatives:

• "i agree with you"
    • "absolutely true"
    • "i concur"
    • etc
    I agree with you

• naney said:

MachSpeed said:

Alternatives:

• "i agree with you"
    • "absolutely true"
    • "i concur"
    • etc
    I agree with you

I concur
    ROAD WORK AHEAD

ALL TRUCKS & ALSO NANEY AND SREDNI'S SUPER GAY FURRY PARTY BUS USE ALTERNATE ROUTE

TRUCK AND FURRIES DETOUR -->
  • it's pronounced air-mezz
    grass cut and no rain yet

success
    truth be told i dislike being told i shouldn't say things, unless the reason is something like 'it's racist' or 'it normalizes pedophilia', something with actual social consequences beyond just people not liking it

don't get me wrong, i WILL try to avoid saying things that merely annoy/offend people (if i remember to do so, and i will do my best to remember), but i won't be particularly happy about it
    that is a gloriously tortured pun
    tortured?  tortuous?

gloriously bad, anyway
  • edited 2015-09-13 18:21:24
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    So i have a book, Time and Philosophy by John McCumber.

It's a history of continental philosophy, and during his introduction McCumber takes pains to argue that continental philosophy is a real tradition, not merely a collection of associated ideas or a kitchen-sink category for Western philosophy outside the analytic tradition (which i honestly suspect it of being).

But he does this by basically establishing a canon, which includes philosophers who i guess could be considered Hegelian, Marxists and Existentialists and those influenced by them.  He contrasts this with traditional philosophy.  Traditional philosophy is atemporal, continental philosophy is temporal; it reminds me of the synchronic/diachronic distinction de Saussure made, though McCumber hasn't made that comparison (as far as i've read, anyway).

So Habermas is out, of no interest, as he is a traditional philosopher whose ideas did not provoke a temporalizing reaction, according to McCumber.  Kant and Husserl are in, but only because of their influence on continental thinkers; they are themselves traditional philosophers.  Sartre is accused of traditional sympathies, as is Badiou with the caveat that he limits the scope of traditional philosophy sharply (science, art, love and politics are all temporal processes for Badiou).

Thoughts on this, @Odradek?  It seems to me like he is narrowing the definition of continental philosophy a lot here (and that many analytics probably would not agree that they are merely following in Plato's footsteps where continental philosophers are not).