The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• That's unfortunate, Odie.

Not being able to appreciate stuff you like with other folks can be tiresome.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    It's funny to me that goons in the Raspberry Pi thread keep saying "there are better small computers available!"...and then pointing to stuff that's significantly more expensive.

Like $140 for some tiny x86 thing isn't exactly gonna break the bank but the RPi's most expensive model is $35, so comparing them from a performance standpoint seems outright unfair.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

...is the GOP aware that letting Trump get the nomination would more or less guarantee four more years of a Democratic president?

keep in mind there is a large chunk of people calling the other candidates "cuckservatives" and "rinos" and thinking they're the same as the Democrats
    also the GOP establishment is freaking the fuck out about Trump because if he doesn't win there's a good chance he'll go third-party
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Tre said:

My local ABC Warner Television Station

(well, the Raleigh one; I don't think there are any O&Os in Lexington)
    Nope! Lexington is too small and no network ever owned a station there (many O&Os were inherited by their networks via mergers or some other weirdness; WTVD was owned by Capital Cities before it bought ABC, and CapCities elected to hold onto it instead of divesting it like a bunch of the other stations the merged company owned)
  • what is even going on anymore
    Tre said:

Finn and Jake snickering at their corporate sibling
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

It's funny to me that goons in the Raspberry Pi thread keep saying "there are better small computers available!"...and then pointing to stuff that's significantly more expensive.

Like $140 for some tiny x86 thing isn't exactly gonna break the bank but the RPi's most expensive model is $35, so comparing them from a performance standpoint seems outright unfair.
    Would it be presumptuous to say it sounds like they're missing the point?

Cuz it's meant for teaching schoolkids the basics of how computers work.  And well, schools aren't exactly rolling in money, most of them are barely scraping by with underpaid staff and shit equipment.
  • Anonus said:

Tre said:

Finn and Jake snickering at their corporate sibling
    I'll admit it, most of the reasoning behind my frequent use of Finn as a source for reaction images is because he's as close as we're going to get to having Tiny as a TV protagonist

I went through a bit of a period where I resented the comparisons but at this point I no longer care
  • edited 2015-08-19 20:39:01
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    All right, so a stalker in Durarara!! has decided to attack the boyfriend of the Black Biker with defensive tendencies (who is herself a magical dullahan), who has mafia ties, is friendly with The Strongest Man in Ikebukuro, associates with Izaya (not that he'd care), the founder of a gang (who is friendly with most), and the owner of a demonic blade who happens to feel indebted to the boyfriend and Biker. This is going to get pretty intense.
    aww
    Tachyon said:

Would it be presumptuous to say it sounds like they're missing the point?

Cuz it's meant for teaching schoolkids the basics of how computers work.  And well, schools aren't exactly rolling in money, most of them are barely scraping by with underpaid staff and shit equipment.
    nah, you're completely right.  It's designed to be a thing that kids can hack on without worrying about ruining a multi-hundred-dollar computer that their parents also use
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Why the fuck am I drinking Gatorade? That shit's full of sugar.

...oh right, because I work for Gatorade and they gave us some free from a damaged shipment.
  • edited 2015-08-19 20:43:29
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    ^^ i think it's a cool idea
    They really are missing the point, because they're debating the merits of, say, deploying Pis as a replacement for an existing school lab of x86 computers, which is really not what it's intended for.

They really are missing the point, because they're debating the merits of, say, deploying Pis as a replacement for an existing school lab of x86 computers, which is really not what it's intended for.

ok yeah that's silly

though, i suppose i can picture some schools attempting to cut costs by doing this . . . or CS departments losing funding on the assumption that computers are cheaper than they really are
    i sometimes feel like i'm under a lot of pressure to understand computers and get good at coding, or else in 10-15 years time or so i imagine not knowing this stuff will be like being illiterate or unable to do arithmetic

and it's daunting, i can't wrap my head around the basics, no way can i compete with people who've been doing this stuff since they were 4 years old
  • kill living beings
    if you don't understand at least the basic principles behind steam engines i'm afraid the future will leave you behin
    . . . i feel this is a poor analogy, but you're a CS person and i'm not
    Tag.

The next poster is it.
    No, not Itt, it.
    i sometimes feel like i'm under a lot of pressure to understand computers and get good at coding, or else in 10-15 years time or so i imagine not knowing this stuff will be like being illiterate or unable to do arithmetic

and it's daunting, i can't wrap my head around the basics, no way can i compete with people who've been doing this stuff since they were 4 years old
    If anything, computers are getting better at hiding the technical complexity behind simple, intuitive user interfaces. My mother doesn't know the first thing about Unix but she can use a Unix-based iPhone just fine.

I'm going to be expected to learn how to code, because I want to be an engineer. Thankfully I did get an A in the last programming class I took...
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Tachyon said:

No, not Itt, it.

Is this like the difference between iff and if?

If anything, computers are getting better at hiding the technical complexity behind simple, intuitive user interfaces. My mother doesn't know the first thing about Unix but she can use a Unix-based iPhone just fine.

I'm going to be expected to learn how to code, because I want to be an engineer. Thankfully I did get an A in the last programming class I took...

Congrats.

And yeah, i suppose so.  It's just looking at how much coding-related stuff is on the curriculum nowadays, it seems likely that in the near future basic coding knowledge will be commonplace . . . unless, i suppose, it reaches the point where the technology is so user-friendly that the Department of Education drops the coding stuff, which actually doesn't seem too implausible (though i actually rather hope they don't).

i feel kind of weird about this because being the quasi-luddite i am i should probably be glad computers are becoming more user-friendly, but it's come with a series of aesthetic decisions that i resent
    Odradek said:

Tachyon said:

No, not Itt, it.

Is this like the difference between iff and if?
    Perhaps.
    Cousin it, and only it.
    But i suppose that would mean that if Cousin Itt is present, nobody else can possibly be it.

Which is false, because Yarrun, having been tagged, is it.
    [17:05] <CentralAve> The Principality of Centralia: where you tweet from your smartphone about how excited you are to be on the steam train to Dame Adorabelle's
  • edited 2015-08-19 21:12:15
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Tachyon said:

i feel kind of weird about this because being the quasi-luddite i am i should probably be glad computers are becoming more user-friendly, but it's come with a series of aesthetic decisions that i resent

I have the feeling this is going to be one of those design trends that comes and goes.

Like, in old GUIs everything was flat and simple (because of the graphical limitations of the time), then you had a trend toward everything becoming fancy and 3D, culminating in the Windows 7 design of having transparent "glass" windows with drop shadows...and then they pared it back down to flat and minimalistic.

So it wouldn't surprise me if in 5-10 years people get tired of the minimalist look and stuff goes back to having 3D borders and drop shadows and whatnot.
  • edited 2015-08-19 21:16:52
    i've grown accustomed to the look of Windows 7, but i disliked it at first.  Really though i see the 3D stuff as an early move towards what i don't like, which is . . . cutesier and less professional looking, i suppose, rather than minimalism per se.  It feels condescending and overly familiar to me.
  • edited 2015-08-19 21:18:19
    i guess that literally, for "Itt" to mean "it and only it" would mean that to be Itt would be to have no properties other than being it.  That's necessarily false though, since Cousin Itt is clearly Itt, and has the property of being a cousin.
  • edited 2015-08-19 21:19:00
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I think I've posted this before, but...

If I had to rank the last three Windows releases based on their UI design:

7 > 10 > 8.1

If I had to rank them based on aesthetics:

8.1 > 10 > 7

So basically that's a big part of why I like 10 as much as I do
    i should prefer the look of 8.1 and 10, if i were at all consistent in my aesthetic opinions

but all those big square panels to the side of the start menu still remind me too much of the windows 8 start screen, which i disliked because what if i don't want my PC to look like a smartphone
    Yeah those are kinda goofy.

Still, you can get rid of them, at least, unlike 8 where it was kind of a permanent thing.
    i didn't know that, but that's good

i will definitely get windows 10 if/when i replace this computer, which i should be thinking about doing, this thing is getting kinda past it
    This "minimal" computing trend reminds me strongly of the old Mac program At Ease
    I had a close call just now...right as my boss was leaving for the day, I realized the key to the office wasn't in the normal place where it's kept, so as he drove by I asked him...and it turns out he had it with him.

I'm just glad I caught him before he drove off because without that key I wouldn't be able to get to the bathroom or get my food from the fridge when nobody else is here.
    (He has his own key to the office, since he's usually the first one in and last one out, but he had to give that to his boss this week, so he's using the key that I'd usually use and he just forgot he had it...yeah.)
  • my mom is still mad about graphical operating systems
    Anonus said:
    i see the similarity, yeah.

Lucky escape, CA.
    Now I'm thinking of how I've yet to find a desktop GUI that 100% clicks with me

The ones that have been closest are classic Mac OS (i.e., pre-OS X), Windows 95, and Xfce
    naney said:

my mom is still mad about graphical operating systems

80x25 was good enough for mit in the 70s it should be good enough for you
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    computers are for dweebs.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Calica said:

naney said:

my mom is still mad about graphical operating systems

80x25 was good enough for mit in the 70s it should be good enough for you
    *reminded of all the weird not-quite-80x25 terminals that used to be in the BSD termcap*
    Sometimes websites use "what street did you grow up on?" as a security question.

But, well, I'm Central Avenue.

So for me the question is "what children grew up on you?"
    streetkin
  • Sometimes websites use "what street did you grow up on?" as a security question.

But, well, I'm Central Avenue.

So for me the question is "what children grew up on you?"
    This sounds like part of a stand up routine
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Embedded image permalink
  • kill living beings
    Incredible, how far technology has come.