The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.

a Rosicrucian adept, and therefore an expert in magiam, in necromantiam, in astrologiam, in geomantiam, in pyromantium, in hydromantiam, in chaomantiam, in medicinam adeptam, to quote the book of Azoth, which, as the Raptus philosophorum explains, was given to Staurophorus by a mysterious maiden. But the knowledge of the adept embraces other fields, such as physiognosis, which deals with occult physics, the static, the dynamic, and the kinematic, or astrology and esoteric biology, the study of the spirits of nature, hermetic zoology. I could add cosmognosis, which studies the heavens from the astronomical, cosmological, physiological, and ontological points of view, and anthropognosis, which studies human anatomy, and the sciences of divination, psychurgy, social astrology, hermetic history. Then there is qualitative mathematics, arithmology... But the fundamentals are the cosmography of the invisible, magnetism, auras, fluids, psychometry, and clairvoyance, and in general the study of the five hyperphysical senses - not to mention horoscopic astrology (which, of course, becomes a mere mockery of learning when not conducted with the proper precautions), as well as physiognomics, mind reading, and the predictive arts (tarots, dream books), ranging to the highest levels, such as prophecy and ecstasy. Sufficient information would be required on alchemy, spagyrics, telepathy, exorcism, ceremonial and evocatory magic, basic theurgy. As for genuine occultism, I would advise exploration of the fields of early cabala, Brahmanism, gymnosophy, Memphis hieroglyphics-

are you reading Foucault's Pendulum
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    At this point Oracle's not even trying to hide their outright contempt for their customers

I guess you can get away with that when your products are so entrenched that most companies would never even consider ditching them
  • Ich bin ein jelly doughnut

Wikipedia said:

The powder of sympathy was termed weaponsalve

incorrect reading but: i will start a Doom Hellectro band and call it Weaponslave
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

what's Oracle

A huge corporation that makes a bunch of software you've likely used but never heard of, because their primary target audience is businesses and enterprises.

They also bought Sun a few years back, so they own Java as well.
    they also bought the sun a few years back
  • they are currently in a bidding war over the state of California with Dr. Dre
  • My dreams exceed my real life
  • edited 2015-08-12 02:13:10
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    ^
    I'm so offended.
    Crystal said:

^

I'm so offended.
    I laughed.

I am completely on board with Everett True here.
    D6oX4gt.jpg
    Everett True is such a spot-on character, at least in the "he does what we all wish we could do" sort of way
    The Terrible Trivium probably has a tumblr fandom.

He seems like the type
  • idk I don't really feel like beating the shit out of people I find annoying for the most part.

Drake aside.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i kind of get why people would like the comic, but if someone like True existed IRL i'd be scared of him

i kind of hate annoyance.  Like, the actual emotion.  How you're minding your own business doing what you want to do and then suddenly someone dislikes you.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Odradek said:

The Terrible Trivium probably has a tumblr fandom.

He seems like the type
    searching "terrible trivium" on Tumblr brings up very little
    Tachyon said:

i kind of get why people would like the comic, but if someone like True existed IRL i'd be scared of him

I feel like the point is that someone like True isn't supposed to exist in real life?

Like, we all know that going around assaulting people for annoying you isn't acceptable, but it can be cathartic to watch someone in fiction do it, at least to me. And I think Condo knew that.
  • i remember when i was in high school Trivium was the whipping boy (whipping band?) of the metalhead community
    ^^ Probably.

There are times when it's cathartic to see someone get punched.  Like that's a big part of the appeal of One Piece to me, honestly, scenes like this (skip to the end for the punch or watch the whole thing for context)

but in this instance Carlos had it coming for the entire arc, he's not some random stranger
    naney said:

i remember when i was in high school Trivium was the whipping boy (whipping band?) of the metalhead community

Danny Dier's Chocolate Homunculus fans really love the live album of the same name, so it has different associations to me.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    If we're on the subject of Daws Butler characters, I know someone who likes Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound, Quick Draw McGraw, and Loopy De Loop that way

I can agree with her on Loopy at least
    Tachyon said:

i kind of hate annoyance.  Like, the actual emotion.  How you're minding your own business doing what you want to do and then suddenly someone dislikes you.

to clarify: it's disturbing to me how something you're doing that's not illegal or directly hurting anyone can make people so mad that they'd find it cathartic to see you get beaten up

that's what i mean when i say i kind of hate annoyance
    I dislike Everett True, for he seems little more than a petulant asshat to me
    So I thought "the Opera menu button looks kinda ugly with the Windows 10 window border":

Then I realized why the fuck is Opera still using a Firefox 4-style menu button? Even Firefox gave in to the Chrome style of having the menu button on the far right of the toolbar, and Opera is based on Chrome...so it's like they want to be different for no reason. :|
    I don't mind the button being there, really, but it seems kinda silly to me because they're using Chromium so that means they went to extra effort just to move the button.

I will admit to being a bit peeved some years ago when Firefox 4 introduced a button like that because it seemed like they were trying to mimic the menu button in Microsoft apps that have "ribbons" and at the time I was still a ribbon-hater.
    i hate when firefox moves the buttons around

it fucks with my muscle memory
  • I am genuinely envious of your ability to keep all of that in your head.

I'm not even sure I know what a ribbon is.

Or what Chromium is.

I don't trust anything Chrome though. Corporations in general are evil but Google just seems weird to me, man.

I should do the dishes.

I am genuinely envious of your ability to keep all of that in your head.

I'm not even sure I know what a ribbon is.

Or what Chromium is.

I don't trust anything Chrome though. Corporations in general are evil but Google just seems weird to me, man.

I should do the dishes.
    Chromium is the open-source portion of the Chrome browser. Essentially, it's Chrome minus the few proprietary things that Google ships with the Google-branded one, like Flash and the PDF viewer.

Opera, since version 15, has been based on Chromium, so it's essentially a rebranded Chrome browser.
    what *is* a ribbon?
  • I should install RockMelt or something similarly weird.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Google is exceptionally powerful, and that's why they're weird, and it's fine to feel uncomfortable. But I've long since accepted that any agency I as an individual can exert is negligible.

Also, there's no need for a conspiracy if the effect is written into the laws, the system, how we think of things.
    Tachyon said:

what *is* a ribbon?

The tabbed toolbar found in Microsoft Office (since 2007) and some Windows apps (most notably Explorer in 8 and later)
    @Jane: If you liked Opera 12 and earlier, there's a browser called Vivaldi that aims to be basically a modern version of that. It's still in development, but it's stable enough for everyday use, I think.

It uses Chromium's rendering engine (Blink) but the UI is written from scratch.

Tachyon said:

what *is* a ribbon?

The tabbed toolbar found in Microsoft Office (since 2007) and some Windows apps (most notably Explorer in 8 and later)
    oh cool

i didn't know that even had a name
    Would the nickname "Hoodie Ray" be seen as derogatory in the UK?

(Not that it matters, since the character I'm talking about is Centralian)
    probably not, why?
    when i say probably not i really mean 'no' unless there's some UK-specific slur i'm not aware of that's being alluded to

a hoodie is just a top, there was a panic about them a few years back and some old white people started using it as a euphemism for 'chav', but that's pretty context-dependent and also dated
    Yeah I was wondering about the association of hoodies with juvenile delinquency

That was never really a thing in America because here everybody wears hoodies
  • i remember a year or two back there was a british guy on r/mfa who had lots of really nice sportswear-inspired fits and it was amusing b/c all of the americans thought that his fits were very distinct and cool but the other british people thought he looked decidedly chav-y
    people give each other mildly insulting nicknames all the time, in any case

but as an insult 'hoodie' was always extremely toothless, all it really does is make the person using it sound old and out of touch
    Basically I was going to have Lily Weiss have a colleague named Ray whom she calls "Hoodie Ray" because he likes hoodies

One of Lily's things is that she always refers to somebody by a quirky name, like how Alistair is "Ali" or her aunt is always "Auntie Vivian" (never "Aunt Vivian")
  • i still have never owned a hoodie
    naney said:

i remember a year or two back there was a british guy on r/mfa who had lots of really nice sportswear-inspired fits and it was amusing b/c all of the americans thought that his fits were very distinct and cool but the other british people thought he looked decidedly chav-y

also this is pretty funny

and kind of interesting how something like this can vary across countries
    naney said:

i still have never owned a hoodie

but you live in goddamn MINNESOTA

how can anyone in the midwest not own half a dozen hoodies at any given time??
    i call all my aunts 'Auntie', or rather 'Auntie [aunt's name]'

'Aunt' would feel bizarrely formal, it'd be like calling my parents 'Mother' and 'Father'
    The aunt who's older than me I call "Aunt [first name]"

The aunt who's younger than me I just call by her first name