The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
    http://www.somethingawful.com/news/feminist-poc-ally/

I don't even know who's being made fun of here
  • kill living beings
    i've heard of a writer using a version control system, maybe
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Windows Update's "we'll install updates when you're not using your computer" model in Windows 10 seems built around the faulty assumption that I frequently leave my computer powered on when I'm not actively using it.

Is that a thing people do? I always shut down or at least hibernate the PC when I'm away from it, both of which would preclude it from installing updates during that time...
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    The Grauniad: Left wing until somebody actually left wing shows up.
  • the guardian is not actually a left wing paper. it is just very middle class
  • kill living beings

Windows Update's "we'll install updates when you're not using your computer" model in Windows 10 seems built around the faulty assumption that I frequently leave my computer powered on when I'm not actively using it.

Is that a thing people do? I always shut down or at least hibernate the PC when I'm away from it, both of which would preclude it from installing updates during that time...
    I kept my computer on for two months this summer while I was in another state because I sshd into it
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    professional lunar lesbian trash mythologist alchemist
  • kill living beings
    it's hot
  • kill living beings

professional lunar lesbian trash mythologist alchemist

both "mythologist" and "mycologist" work well there
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    c:\windows\system37\
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Sex Grips said:

Tachyon said:

Sex Grips said:

i do feel vacuous

i am trying to writ esomething, but i am still mechanically unclear on how to write fiction

all of it is so hard fo rme to register. how descriptive do i have to be, for people and for scenes? when? where? guess it's something you pick up from practice

I saw Aevee Bee say that the best way to do things is to just write a pile of stuff down (like, absolutely everything you're thinking of in your head) and then edit it into better coherence afterwards. Almost like the opposite of software development, where you make little things and make absolutely sure they work before making the next part (unless you want supermassive headaches later).

*concerns himself with whether or not software dev is going to make him a less creative person*
    *remembers he isn't creative anyway*

was more or less what i was going for but didn't articulate too well

the software dev . . . dis-analogy is interesting to me

might be interesting to experiment with, writing the same kind of thing but using the 2 different approaches
    I don't think it would work. I imagine that mostly results in writing Lore.

There's good reason for the approaches to be opposite. Art succeeds when it elicits an emotional response, while programming succeeds when the compiled code runs. Language isn't as rigid as programming is, so even rough writing can elicit feelings; a program just doesn't run if there's a typo or what not in it.
    idk, i see no reason why precise, carefully chosen language can't be creative or emotive, even if it's a laborious way to write

kind of thinking of William Carlos Williams here a little bit

sparse poetry, every word chosen carefully
  • edited 2015-08-11 23:07:42
    Ich bin ein jelly doughnut
    Oh, I should have considered poetry. (Also, to be fair I almost never write.)
    n5RAi3w.jpg
  • Sex Grips said:

^^oh man. Now I'm thinking about how in 20k Jules Verne wrote up a series of descriptive paragraphs describing fucking *dimensions* for a particular room, because he was getting paid per chapter.

That's exactly the kind of thing I would do.

Except I wasn't getting paid by the chapter, I was just young and confused
    What if Roko's Basilisk doesn't actually torture people, it just creates a whole lot of massively simplified copies and gets dust specks in their eyes.
    i feel like Roko's Basilisk should be a boss in some kind of RPG.
  • I am going to work Roko's Basilisk into a rap someday

just you watch
    TvTropes advertised a lot of things that were born from forum jokes or games, but the only one I liked was Zoofights.
    TvTropes advertised a lot of things that were born from forum jokes or games, but the only one I liked was Zoofights.
  • shifting through the lens
  • Headed to a land where pennies are long banned.
  • Tachyon said:

i feel like Roko's Basilisk should be a boss in some kind of RPG.

I once statted up the Lag Beast--the insatiable monster stalking the internet, devouring innocent packets--for the Returners Final Fantasy tabletop game.

It was my finest creation...and my deadliest.
  • I N F I N I T E V R I S K A S
  • The figure 8!
  • >::::D
  • pots and pans

• that was as pointless as when I just posted "foot" that time 8ecause someone said "foot" on a commercial while I was typing and I forgot what I was going to say so I just said "foot"
  • one time a few years ago my mom wanted a fake name to use to sign paintings, prefera8ly a male name.

I suggested "Aloysius Bartleby". No one has asked me to come up with a fake name for them since,

... I don't even know how I came up with "Aloysius Bartleby" either.
    You know what Windows 7 feature I miss when I go back to XP?

Being able to make maximized Windows small again by dragging the title bar.

I didn't even realize I was doing that until I used an XP computer and realized it doesn't work on XP.
    can you do it on 10?
    Aloysius Bartleby is a pretty good name actually.
    Tachyon said:

can you do it on 10?

Yes.

10 also expanded some of the neat tricks 7 added...you can still make a window take up half the screen by slamming it against the edge, but if you slam it in the corner instead it will take up a quarter of the screen, which is nifty if you want more than two windows tiled.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Vriska said:

one time a few years ago my mom wanted a fake name to use to sign paintings, prefera8ly a male name.

I suggested "Aloysius Bartleby". No one has asked me to come up with a fake name for them since,

... I don't even know how I came up with "Aloysius Bartleby" either.
    I decided that Doggie Daddy's real name is "Aloysius Familiaris Doggie", but he can neither pronounce nor spell his real first name
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    (Augie Doggie is "Augustus Familiaris Doggie")
    I mostly just think of Aloysius  as being Wicked's real name.

It's what he goes by on twitter, this is not a big reveal
  • kill living beings
    Wikipedia said:

Powder of sympathy was a form of sympathetic magic, current in the 17th century in Europe, whereby a remedy was applied to the weapon that had caused a wound in the hope of healing the injury it had made.

The powder was also applied to solve the longitude problem in the suggestion of an anonymous pamphlet of 1687 entitled "Curious Enquiries." The pamphlet theorised that a wounded dog could be put aboard a ship, with the animal's discarded bandage left in the trust of a timekeeper on shore, who would then dip the bandage into the powder at a predetermined time and cause the creature to yelp, thus giving the captain of the ship an accurate knowledge of the time. There are no records of the effectiveness of this procedure. It is also uncertain if it had ever been tried, and it is possible that the pamphlet was a form of satire.

The powder of sympathy was termed weaponsalve ("A salve which was supposed to cure the wound, being applied to the weapon that made it.") by Dr. Johnson in his Dictionary of the English Language (1755).

• "Aloysius" is one of those names that sounds cool until you picture a teacher 8utchering it while taking attendance.

There's lots of names like that though, may8e they should just give out pronunciation guides with class roster lists or something.

Wikipedia said:

Powder of sympathy was a form of sympathetic magic, current in the 17th century in Europe, whereby a remedy was applied to the weapon that had caused a wound in the hope of healing the injury it had made.

The powder was also applied to solve the longitude problem in the suggestion of an anonymous pamphlet of 1687 entitled "Curious Enquiries." The pamphlet theorised that a wounded dog could be put aboard a ship, with the animal's discarded bandage left in the trust of a timekeeper on shore, who would then dip the bandage into the powder at a predetermined time and cause the creature to yelp, thus giving the captain of the ship an accurate knowledge of the time. There are no records of the effectiveness of this procedure. It is also uncertain if it had ever been tried, and it is possible that the pamphlet was a form of satire.

The powder of sympathy was termed weaponsalve ("A salve which was supposed to cure the wound, being applied to the weapon that made it.") by Dr. Johnson in his Dictionary of the English Language (1755).

very, very strange
  • new aesthetic: blue bolthead lilliputian alien nerd
  • kill living beings
    a Rosicrucian adept, and therefore an expert in magiam, in necromantiam, in astrologiam, in geomantiam, in pyromantium, in hydromantiam, in chaomantiam, in medicinam adeptam, to quote the book of Azoth, which, as the Raptus philosophorum explains, was given to Staurophorus by a mysterious maiden. But the knowledge of the adept embraces other fields, such as physiognosis, which deals with occult physics, the static, the dynamic, and the kinematic, or astrology and esoteric biology, the study of the spirits of nature, hermetic zoology. I could add cosmognosis, which studies the heavens from the astronomical, cosmological, physiological, and ontological points of view, and anthropognosis, which studies human anatomy, and the sciences of divination, psychurgy, social astrology, hermetic history. Then there is qualitative mathematics, arithmology... But the fundamentals are the cosmography of the invisible, magnetism, auras, fluids, psychometry, and clairvoyance, and in general the study of the five hyperphysical senses - not to mention horoscopic astrology (which, of course, becomes a mere mockery of learning when not conducted with the proper precautions), as well as physiognomics, mind reading, and the predictive arts (tarots, dream books), ranging to the highest levels, such as prophecy and ecstasy. Sufficient information would be required on alchemy, spagyrics, telepathy, exorcism, ceremonial and evocatory magic, basic theurgy. As for genuine occultism, I would advise exploration of the fields of early cabala, Brahmanism, gymnosophy, Memphis hieroglyphics-

Azoth

I guess Promethean didn't just make up this word.
  • kill living beings
    it's magic mercury, apparently

but "azot-" in species names and stuff refers to azote, which is just un-occult french for nitrogen

bo-ring
  • Are you totally sure french isn't an occult language? It would certainly explain...nothing.
    It would explain why their number system is so bullshit