Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i've always seen those two administrations as being kind of parallel

Thatcher was herself a big Reagan fangirl, i know that much
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I've read Dolores Umbridge/Maggie Thatcher fanfic
  • Tachyon said:

also i would prefer all those things to be government run

and i want that for england, but i don't think that will happen in my lifetime

I can't even imagine it happening here in the US. Maybe if Sanders gets elected and his first act as president is to replace everyone else in the government with pod-people under his command.

Although I guess if he gets elected and then nationalizes the banks the next time they fuck up the economy, that would be a good start.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    All I know is those things are government-run in Centralia.

What's that? It's unhealthy to use my fantasy country as an outlet for my frustrations with IRL politics? I can't hear you over the sound of my PRINCESSHOOD!
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Myr: Wow. I wonder if those damn white-power skinhead types are aware that most of the STEM we rely on now was preserved and improved upon by Muslims whilst most of Europe were either dying of the plague or killing each other in wars of succession.
  • you know what should be run by the government

nothing

things should just run themselves without human intervention
    lee4hmz said:

Myr: Wow. I wonder if those damn white-power skinhead types are aware that most of the STEM we rely on now was preserved and improved upon by Muslims whilst most of Europe were either dying of the plague or killing each other in wars of succession.

Yes, and they don't give a fuck
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Panurge said:

lee4hmz said:

Yes, and they don't give a fuck
    of course not, because they suck :P
  • like you just keep on going to higher and higher levels of executive authority and it's like a mix between kafka and the endless turtles nobody knows who is in charge
  • Ich bin ein jelly doughnut

this song's siccc

this is cute
  • Panurge said:

I've read Dolores Umbridge/Maggie Thatcher fanfic

Get your post-mortem kicks in where you can, I guess
    GRAND MOFF TARKIN: We will build a gigantic battleship that can destroy planets in order to keep the Rebellion in line.

STAR WARS SLATE STAR CODEX: Now see here, I also believe we should discipline the rebellion by snuffing out millions of lives, but I think it might be too expensive!
    1930S SLATE STAR CODEX: Well yes, Hitler is a bit overly strident in his criticisms and can be very silly, but I don't see anyone else making the trenchant critiques of Judeo-Bolshevism he makes!
    SPANISH INQUISITOR SLATE STAR CODEX: I feel we should torture the Jews BEFORE the Heretics. The Heretics are more like us, after all.
  • You know I can't remember of Grand Moff is his title and his name is Tarkin or if he is Grand and his name is Moff Tarkin
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    "Grand Moff" would be a pretty funny title
    naney said:

You know I can't remember of Grand Moff is his title and his name is Tarkin or if he is Grand and his name is Moff Tarkin

Grand Moff is his title

lambdaphagy.tumblr.com/post/120983060414/nostalgebraist-slatestarscratchpad-moldbugs I warned you about the math nerds bro
  • I wonder what the inspiration for the title was, it's rather interesting
  • edited 2015-06-08 01:48:47
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
     "I had forgotten just how depressing the 2nd half of FF6 is. Talk about a huge shift in tone."

i forgot that the calamity and attempted suicide was depressing
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Don't steal peoples' diamonds for your proposal, or your broposal, though.

You should be considerate of other people's feelings.
  • I am going to play Diablo 3 while listening to jazz and no one can stop me.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    You guys should play Freedom Planet. It's basically what you'd get if Treasure made a Sonic game.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.

You guys should play Freedom Planet. It's basically what you'd get if Treasure made a Sonic game.

I agree.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    be attitude for gains
  • Beatitudes for gains

write a self-help book.
  • LWLW
    edited 2015-06-08 05:04:44

"Ah! Are you a d...d...dentist?!

Dr. Memory: Why, yes I am. I can help you.
    Here's the new Bombermen I just constructed. Pick one to blast the wall."
  • edited 2015-06-08 05:03:22
    Ich bin ein jelly doughnut
    Panurge said:

SPANISH INQUISITOR SLATE STAR CODEX: I feel we should torture the Jews BEFORE the Heretics. The Heretics are more like us, after all.

The Codex Astartes approves of this action.

god i hate 40k lore
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

Who here's gotten the Windows 10 upgrade button yet?

And who's actually clicked on it to sign up for the upgrade?
    i have to both
  • edited 2015-06-08 05:33:19

Sex Grips said:

Panurge said:

The Codex Astartes approves of this action.

god i hate 40k lore
    IN THE GRIM DARKNESS OF THE GAY BDSM CENTURY THERE WAS ONLY THE PAIN GLOVE
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I also hate it.
  • HOW CAN YOU HATE THE PAIN GLOVE
  • edited 2015-06-08 05:52:28
    naney said:

HOW CAN YOU HATE THE PAIN GLOVE

Because things are more than the stupid elements that we decide
    are endearing, and because liking things "ironically" bites us in the
    ass more than people admit.

like how Krieg is a planet where
    women are exclusively used to make more children and men are exclusively
    used to fuel some planet-wide military.

and how the canon generally leans towards "there are evil gods that turn you into demons if you're not a good little nazi".

the formatting on this post is all fucked on my screen. dunno if it's the same for everyone else.
    The thing about being ironic is that on some level, it's still being earnest and honest. It means that irony is a screen that shields us from the consequences of what we say and do.

So GW are probably not actually huge fascists. But they clearly have a fascistic streak.
  • what is even liking things ironically

i get that used to be all the rage in like 2008 but i have never done anything but wholehearted liking
  • I am a huge part of the new earnestness
  • edited 2015-06-08 06:23:35

ultimately i think that, if someone is creating the most ridiculously awful of all possible universes, a lack of obvious parallels to fascism would be more disconcerting than their presence, as that would imply that nazis are not the worst

like, what could be worse than "things are so bad that the even-worse-than-nazis are the least worst thing"

(*the answer is obviously "the entire universe is a peter sotos novel" but F.A.T.A.L. already exists*)
  • honestly, that was unfair on my part and i apologize to the publishers of F.A.T.A.L. for the comparison
  • basically the moral of the story here is that we must all be thankful that Peter Sotos is not god
  • Boyd Rice MMORPG
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    who's peter sotos
  • he is a writer who makes music sometimes

his books are significantly more nauseating than F.A.T.A.L.

in fact, i rather doubt that one could create books that are less enjoyable to read
  • ...frig, he might actually be worse than the writers of FATAL

Not because he's more of a terrible person, but because he's actually competent at. He's a sharp knife stabbing into the total goodness of humanity, while Bryon Hall is a butter knife doing the same. The second one hurts more and looks worse, but the first one is doing much more damage. 
  • The famous review of FATAL once referred to Bryon Hall and his cronies as "fanboys/cheerleaders for rapists". Sotos looks like the kind of fanboy who steals hair and makes creepy altars to worship upon.
  • edited 2015-06-08 06:44:58
    naney said:

ultimately i think that, if someone is creating the most ridiculously awful of all possible universes, a lack of obvious parallels to fascism would be more disconcerting than their presence, as that would imply that nazis are not the worst

like, what could be worse than "things are so bad that the even-worse-than-nazis are the least worst thing"

(*the answer is obviously "the entire universe is a peter sotos novel" but F.A.T.A.L. already exists*)

Well, I like earnestness too. The internet has too fuckin' little of it.

I guess a big thing I'm thinking is Tabletop Wargame Plots Are Bad Because The Only Narrative They Can Drive is of War and I lean on the side of "even if it's not really the focus of the game, 40k's writing is still ugly beyond its basic intent to depict extreme misery". EG, I figure 40k books would have to (almost all) be Shoot the Shaggy Dog stories if they wanted to properly dispel the idea that the writers support fascism in some way. (I feel like I've seen "it's necessary given the setting" argued a couple of times, on other sites and stuff.)