The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• I AM TOTALLY FINE WITH THAT STATEMENT

Because intentional inanity is its own kind of meaningful. I'm OKAY with that. But there are processes. There's a way to get good at things. There are ways to come to a productive understanding of things. I'm not saying that I know all the answers I'm just saying there are things that function ad answers even if they technically don't assign order to a chaotic universe.
  • It's like the way people go about this always seems to end up implying that expertise and understanding mean jack shit.
  • kill living beings
    most of the universe isn't chaotic imo

you pick osme patch of hydrogen and it's probably still going to be a ptch of hydrogen in thirty billion years

molecule trajectories might technically be chaotic, but who cares, really

...i wonder if something like xia's hellgun mechanism could be responsible for EECRs
  • People don't want to have this discussion but they go into elaborate ephemeral metaphysics of what constitutes meaning that serves ONLY to muddle the discussion because NO ONE wants to be told that writing might have a point.

It's like how my older brother thinks he's Charles fuckin' Bukowski because he's capable of writing words in the same language as him because "everything is subjective" even though humans are all operating with only .01 percent of genetic difference so there are GONNA BE some more or less universal constructs
    shuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup, my gooooooooooooooooooooood

I don't know what class you took or what paper you read or whatever but for the last few weeks you are constantly acting like you know everything there possibly is to know about fiction and it is driving me up a wall. That would not be a problem in of itself if you didn't seem deadset on having this conversation and this conversation only to the exclusion of everything else.

Can we have a fuckin' normal talk about like literally anything that's not this. 

Like I could easily fucking go into why everything is subjective and why that doesn't invalidate criticism in of itself and blah blah but not only did I do that the other day, I just don't fuckin want to.

No one fuckin' wants to. Stop.

Stop stop stop.

Talk about literally

any other thing.

the weather, how your day was, your thoughts on the 2016 presidental election, your fucking I don't know favorite non-major constellation

anything else.
  • kill living beings
    me, i'm annoyed because you started with "writing obviously has this specific well defined purpose" and nobody thought it was obvious so inane said writing doesn't have some particular purpose and this somehow spun off into arguments about nihilism i have previously read in 17th century religious debates which i'm pretty sure means something went seriously wrong with the original claim
  • kill living beings
    i'm pretty sure writing a shader that runs the game of life is pointless, but by god i'll do it anyway
  • molecule trajectories might technically be chaotic, but who cares, really

My point exactly. You can't give up on understanding stuff because randomness exists, you work to a point where you can understand and contain that randomness and work around it, or find productive ways to work with it.

THAT'S ALL. THAT I AM TRYING. TO SAY.
  • if you're fine why are you typing in allcaps

anyway with regards to the DNA thing there's an interestinginteresting paper called 'the neural lyre' in which they identify the most common line length in poetry across all cultures, which regardless of syllables/stresses is almost the same when you measure it as the amount of time it takes to read aloud, and then match this to the exact time it takes for a single 'thing' to he absorbed and processed by your mind. biology influencing culture. its cool
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i literally do not see anyone in this thread making the kind of statements you are accusing us of making

i, for one, am not talking about molecule trajectories or nihilism or whatever else
  • me, i'm annoyed because you started with "writing obviously has this specific well defined purpose"

All I said is that writing should try to make the world better. I didn't define what constitutes "better" which I recognize is obviously contentious.
  • Kexruct said:

It's like the way people go about this always seems to end up implying that expertise and understanding mean jack shit.

anyone who implies that is dumb and wrong hth
  • I AM TOO BUSY TRYING TO FIND THE SECRET AQUARIUM FOR THIS NONSENSE
  • fuck this anyway im going to bed
  • edited 2015-06-06 23:53:58
    kill living beings
    Kexruct said:

me, i'm annoyed because you started with "writing obviously has this specific well defined purpose"

All I said is that writing should try to make the world better.
    yes, this is the thing you said was obvious that nobody else seems to think is obvious
    good night sunn wolf

this thread :(
  • good news guys I found the secret aquarium

• sunn wolf said:

if you're fine why are you typing in allcaps

I'm not fine. I'm furious and having a panic attack. I didn't even say fine.
    Tachyon said:

i literally do not see anyone in this thread making the kind of statements you are accusing us of making

i, for one, am not talking about molecule trajectories or nihilism or whatever else

Just like I didn't say that writing has a super, gigantic, secret, massively specific only attainable through one method purpose. I gave, what I thought was the broadest possible general goal and people found it to be reductive or overly prescriptive because for some reason any attempt to define good writing is reductive or overly prescriptive.
  • kill living beings
    that's a pretty good aquarium imo.
  • edited 2015-06-06 23:58:31
    Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    writing should try to make the world better by spurring us to action regarding the evil threat that witches pose to humanity
  • edited 2015-06-07 00:01:09
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    Kex, nobody is saying that and nobody is saying everything is subjective.

Some people have different criteria for quality than you do. That's all.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Marisa Kirisame vs. the Forces of Evil
  • Like for fuck's sake can we try to attempt understanding what I mean before immediately arguing because I know I'm not doing that but I'm not in the mental state for that right now
    Kex, it's not that we don't understand, it's that your statements about the purpose of fiction, no matter how general, are statements about the purpose of fiction

it's got nothing whatsoever to do with whether there are techniques for good writing or whatever else, you don't need a broad, all encompassing definition of whatever to learn to write
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    YTP: Garnet watches Disney XD | ChannelAwesome.com

• My dreams exceed my real life
    Kexruct said:

People don't want to have this discussion but they go into elaborate ephemeral metaphysics of what constitutes meaning that serves ONLY to muddle the discussion because NO ONE wants to be told that writing might have a point.

It's like how my older brother thinks he's Charles fuckin' Bukowski because he's capable of writing words in the same language as him because "everything is subjective" even though humans are all operating with only .01 percent of genetic difference so there are GONNA BE some more or less universal constructs

Well yes "it's all subjective" is rather lazy as the ways we respond to and evaluate fiction involve many separate categories and ways of understanding things, as well as many inter-subjectively communicable things. You can't shut an aesthetic debate down the way you might be able to shut a mathematical or scientific debate down, but the scientific and mathematical modes of discourse are not the only games in town.

But I think allowing a degree of freedom in artistic expression and response can only be good.
    why the hell do disagreements on this forum so often erupt into gigantic horrible arguments where people get mad

why does this keep happening
  • Tachyon said:

Kex, it's not that we don't understand, it's that your statements about the purpose of fiction, no matter how general, are statements about the purpose of fiction

it's got nothing whatsoever to do with whether there are techniques for good writing or whatever else, you don't need a broad, all encompassing definition of whatever to learn to write

Every writer I've ever talked to has emphasized the importance of working definitions and atandards, even flexible ones.

I don't know.
  • Because people decide what each other have said and work from that rather than trying to actually understand. I understand that I'm doing this just as bad as everyone else but for fuck's sake I'm losing it right now over this so can we all attempt to understand what I'm saying a bit more so I don't give up on writing entirely because clearly my process is fucked at a very fundamental level
    re: 'it's all subjective'

i think it's probably true, and i am sceptical about whether it is trumped by theories about some kind of underlying collective unconscious or evolutionary theory

however

i'm unconvinced it has any particular relevance to the original disagreement here

and i don't think it's a helpful thing to say wrt the aspirations of a writer
  • THAT'S WHAT I WAS SAYING
  • THAT'S WHAT I MEANT. FOR FUCK'S SAKE THERE IT IS. THAT WAS WHY I WAS FRUSTRATED.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Kexruct said:

Because people decide what each other have said and work from that rather than trying to actually understand. I understand that I'm doing this just as bad as everyone else but for fuck's sake I'm losing it right now over this so can we all attempt to understand what I'm saying a bit more so I don't give up on writing entirely because clearly my process is fucked at a very fundamental level

Nobody was saying that your writing was meaningless.

Creativity is a beautiful thing and anyone who tells you that your writing is fundamentally meaningless is just a crank who shouldn't be listened to.
  • All I wanted to do was come up with a helpful jumping off point from universal subjectivity. I fucked it up and everyone already knew that anyway. And now I'm the idiot
  • I knew it was a matter of time before I fucked everything up again.
    I went to Ford and Edison's Winter home today.
    i thought i was following this discussion and now i'm just confused

this is starting to feel like a regular occurrence
  • Panurge said:

what's that
    Panurge said:

There was a cute story about one of Edison's sons.

He found five baby alligators, and decided to bring them home. The next day, his mother had a lunch party with a bunch of female friends. The son, who was six, decided that the ladies would like to see what he had found.

Then he couldn't keep a hold on all of them, and dropped them under the table.

You can imagine what happened next.
  • You said it for yourself that everything is subjective but that that's not helpful for writers

That's the pretense I've been operating under this entire time, hence my original statement, "Writing should try to make the world better,"which I hoped was the most flexible possible thing I could say without being completely unhelpful but I'm wrong and a fucking mistake in general

Panurge said:

what's that
    It is a place they went for the cold part of the year.

It has been preserved, and turned into a museum for them.
    Kexruct said:

You said it for yourself that everything is subjective but that that's not helpful for writers

That's the pretense I've been operating under this entire time, hence my original statement, "Writing should try to make the world better,"which I hoped was the most flexible possible thing I could say without being completely unhelpful but I'm wrong and a fucking mistake in general

Please stop beating yourself up so much over a forum disagreement.

i just don't think 'writing should do x' is necessarily a helpful thing to say.  if you find it helpful, well, go for it.

but please understand that when i say this i am *not* saying 'so throw out all advice and btw nothing has value because value itself is bull and everything is equally meaningless'
    Panurge said:
    Before Castaneda died in early 1998, I found his e-mail address and he validated all my feelings.

Then I flew off to Nicaragua to save the President's daughter
    Panurge said:
    eh, it's possible they had a lousy lit teacher, isn't it?

i mean OP obviously doesn't understand postmodernism, and i'm not sure of the relevance of Freud (perhaps the professor was hinting at a Freudian reading?)

but asking the author what they meant is kind of missing the point of the exercise
    if this happened back in the 90s why are they posting about it now?

yeah, probably didn't happen
    Tachyon said:

Panurge said:
    eh, it's possible they had a lousy lit teacher, isn't it?

i mean OP obviously doesn't understand postmodernism, and i'm not sure of the relevance of Freud (perhaps the professor was hinting at a Freudian reading?)

but asking the author what they meant is kind of missing the point of the exercise
    He got a B.

He was so angry at getting a B on a paper that he quit his major.

in the alternate universe where any of this happened, mind you
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Castaneda Yeah this guy totally had an e-mail exchange with some random white kid some time before 1998
    yeah, i was trying to be charitable but you're right, it's a stupid post
    Guys I just e-mailed Thomas Pynchon, and he told me that I am the smartest person he has ever known.