The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    implied authorial intent

often it's there, often it's obvious even, but you can never read the author's mind
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Panurge said:

American Pharoah would also be a good name for a rapper, I feel.

• a Pharoah is a MonARch minus the A&R 

fucking beautiful
  • Tachyon said:

Y'know when i write something i don't always intend to make anyone feel like anything

sometimes i just write because i wanna write

And like that's okay and all, but if you want to get good at it you can't actively shun the notion that there are certain processes that help make your work more meaningful.
  • I Didn't Do It is the most grievous of the new shows. The others I've seen at least ape human interaction with some success, and have some self-awareness of what they are. But no one is capable of thought or sympathy in that show.
  • edited 2015-06-06 23:10:35
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I... think Tachyon knows that? Honestly that comes off as a little patronizing to me, given that Tachy's literally a creative writing major and is probably just making an off-hand comment about things they do.

Also, pretty sure it's Disney Ecks Dee, Tach.
  • edited 2015-06-06 23:09:59
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Panurge said:

You know what's unrelated to this conversation?

The Disney Channel. I'm visiting a godniece in the hospital and, frig, at some point, they stopped caring completely

I think everyone but Cartoon Network stopped trying.
    Cartoon Network runs shows of actual quality, which is why the likes of Variety tend not to mention it in the same sentence as Nickelodeon or Disney Channel, or as part of the shortlist of Time Warner properties
  • Also, there was an ad for Doctor Who for Disney XD on. The music was as if the musicians behind Johnny Test were asked to write Doctor Who's theme song

I don't even respect DW and I think it deserves more than that
  • Vriska said:

I am........ tired. Work was 8usy which is good though since it was dead yesterday.

Also I am plotting to knit a 8oo8 window sweater. Is that worth any Imipoints?
    yes, that is worth 8 Imipoints
    awesome!
    i'm not offended, but yeah, i know that

i was just remarking

and i'm not sure, really, whether i can write better for myself or with other people in mind

i think the best guitarists are often people who just enjoy playing the guitar for its own sake even when nobody else is around
  • We can do anything if we do it together.

Also, there was an ad for Doctor Who for Disney XD on. The music was as if the musicians behind Johnny Test were asked to write Doctor Who's theme song

I found out not long ago that Disney XD started airing Doraemon.

Not a reboot or anything either, just a dubbed version of the original Doraemon.

I find that pretty cool, regardless of any other creative decisions that they make.

Also, there was an ad for Doctor Who for Disney XD on. The music was as if the musicians behind Johnny Test were asked to write Doctor Who's theme song

wtf
    Disney Eks Dee

cool cool
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Is it stupid that I still resent Jetix
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Vriska said:

Vriska said:

I am........ tired. Work was 8usy which is good though since it was dead yesterday.

Also I am plotting to knit a 8oo8 window sweater. Is that worth any Imipoints?
    yes, that is worth 8 Imipoints
    awesome!
    if you actually knit the sweater, that's 88 Imipoints

if you send it to me that's 888 Imipoints
    Tachyon said:

i think the best guitarists are often people who just enjoy playing the guitar for its own sake even when nobody else is around

thanks ^_^
    what i know about jetix

they did a show about K9

they changed the character's design, apparently in order to distance themselves from doctor who, but apparently they did go on to reference doctor who a few times

i never watched it
    u are welcome, Imicup
  • naney said:

Kexruct said:

I think "media should try to make people better" is absolutely the broadest approach and I don't see how it's even, like, possible to disagree with that statement. It seems like everyone just has a knee-jerk reaction to anyone making statements about the purpose of media and it makes these conversations really difficult to have in any productive capacity.

there is no purpose to media

it just exists

there is intention, but you can totally disregard that no problem

have a book? you can read it, you can eat it, you can flip to a random page, point to a phrase at random and attempt to divine the future, you can take a movie, mute it and play inappropriate music over the sad bits, you can sit there obsessively counting all of the times it contradicts itself, you can smash a DVD into tiny pieces and use them to make a statue, you can take a VHS and splice together The Bad Sleep Well and Gone With The Wind, then sit around with your robot pals and make fun of it, there are no rules and there is no wrong way to do things.

none.

zip.

nada.
    That's just nihilism then. Like, okay, you can say that nothing has any worth or value but it doesn't help anything with regards to writing, but oh WAIT the notion of "helping" is an arbitrary construct generated by random fluctuations of chemicals stimulating also random electrical impulses and can you see how quickly this conversation gets pointless?

Like okay. You can work an equation down to a point where you have determined that x = x but isn't it immensely more informative (oh, information, another meaningless social construct. No one really "knows" anything and we're all just pointless fluctuations of particles) to actually find the value of x?
  • naney said:

Kexruct said:

I think "media should try to make people better" is absolutely the broadest approach and I don't see how it's even, like, possible to disagree with that statement. It seems like everyone just has a knee-jerk reaction to anyone making statements about the purpose of media and it makes these conversations really difficult to have in any productive capacity.

there is no purpose to media

it just exists

there is intention, but you can totally disregard that no problem

have a book? you can read it, you can eat it, you can flip to a random page, point to a phrase at random and attempt to divine the future, you can take a movie, mute it and play inappropriate music over the sad bits, you can sit there obsessively counting all of the times it contradicts itself, you can smash a DVD into tiny pieces and use them to make a statue, you can take a VHS and splice together The Bad Sleep Well and Gone With The Wind, then sit around with your robot pals and make fun of it, there are no rules and there is no wrong way to do things.

none.

zip.

nada.

That's just nihilism then. Like, okay, you can say that nothing has any worth or value but it doesn't help anything with regards to writing, but oh WAIT the notion of "helping" is an arbitrary construct generated by random fluctuations of chemicals stimulating also random electrical impulses and can you see how quickly this conversation gets pointless?

Like okay. You can work an equation down to a point where you have determined that x = x but isn't it immensely more informative (oh, information, another meaningless social construct. No one really "knows" anything and we're all just pointless fluctuations of particles) to actually find the value of x?
    1) you do not actually know what nihilism is

2) you are being insufferably pretentious right now for absolutely no reason. Please stop.
  • pointlessness creates infinite brilliant possibilities.

i am in love with pointlessness, pointlessness sparks within me an endless, indefatigable joy
    nonsense is good!
  • Also Jane is right.
    it's not nihilism

naney is totally right and on point here
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    what I know about Jetix is that it was Disney's version of the twilight years of Fox Kids which was painful

they did show reruns of The Tick though

also it ate Toon Disney from the inside out, to the point that Jetix took up more than half of the broadcast day of "Toon Disney"
    see what i did there
  • I fully acknowledge that everything is pointless because meaning doesn't exist.

So, from now on, can we act under the assumption that what I say is operating under the pretense that when I say "meaning" I mean it in the sense that meaning is what we as arbitrary arrangements of particles would arbitrarily assign meaning, and am not assuming there is any order or meaning to the universe. Okay? Okay.
    oh no, meaning exists

but if we arbitrarily assign it then it's not embedded into a text, is it?
  • Kexruct said:

I fully acknowledge that everything is pointless because meaning doesn't exist.

So, from now on, can we act under the assumption that what I say is operating under the pretense that when I say "meaning" I mean it in the sense that meaning is what we as arbitrary arrangements of particles would arbitrarily assign meaning, and am not assuming there is any order or meaning to the universe. Okay? Okay.

what
  • kill living beings
    more like nailism.
    i think you're missing what meaning actually is, possibly

meaning is not a fixed thing, meaning is like, a fountain that never dries up, or like, clouds changing shape, or both of those things at once, and much much more
  • kill living beings
    i am a mereological nihilist AMA
  • kill living beings
    Poincaré-Bendixson
  • more like nailism.

"what's your philosophical position"

"I consider myself a continental deez nuts"

Do you like pizza?
  • kill living beings
    Bofaist
  • kill living beings
    Tachyon said:

Do you like pizza?
    it rules, dawg

specially hawaiian

or anything with good cheese really, i suppose cheese is the heart if you will of the pizza, despite pizza not having any organs or parts
  • Tachyon said:

it's not nihilism

BUT WHAT DOES IT HELP

Like I fully acknowledge that someone can derive just as much pleasure from eating a copy of Heart of Darkness as reading it, but that has nothing to do with, like, writing. So there is little point to including "make your pages tasty" in advice for writing.

For fuck's sake this is an irritating conversation.
    i think you need to calm the eff down
  • Kexruct said:

Tachyon said:

it's not nihilism

BUT WHAT DOES IT HELP

Like I fully acknowledge that someone can derive just as much pleasure from eating a copy of Heart of Darkness as reading it, but that has nothing to do with, like, writing. So there is little point to including "make your pages tasty" in advice for writing.

For fuck's sake this is an irritating conversation.
    the reason you are irritated is because you are trying to have a conversation with a bunch of people who do not want to have that conversation with you but are too polite to tell you to take a taxi to Texas.
    tbh i probably could derive as much pleasure from eating Heart of Darkness as reading it

not sure why but i just could not get that book at all, it was like wading through tar
    i feel really bad and ashamed about this and will probably give it a reread at some point, because supposedly it's an important book, and it's about stuff, it's not just murkiness that i don't understand

that will be my 3rd attempt at getting it however
  • kill living beings
    get a load of this guy deriving an ought from an is

(http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=14628990)
    eating paper isn't really that tasty, not to me anyway.

Joseph Conrad wrote great prose but I don't think he's really on my wavelength, so to speak
  • Tachyon said:

tbh i probably could derive as much pleasure from eating Heart of Darkness as reading it

not sure why but i just could not get that book at all, it was like wading through tar

it was like wading through tar, agreed, also that was why i liked it
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    knowing panty and stocking they're probably saying the thing from the original about virginity being shameful
    paper isn't tasty

perhaps i have not made clear how little i enjoyed Heart of Darkness
    sunn wolf said:

Tachyon said:

it was like wading through tar, agreed, also that was why i liked it
    huh

ok, then

i definitely missed something i think
  • People don't want to have this discussion but they go into elaborate ephemeral metaphysics of what constitutes meaning that serves ONLY to muddle the discussion because NO ONE wants to be told that writing might have a point.

It's like how my older brother thinks he's Charles fuckin' Bukowski because he's capable of writing words in the same language as him because "everything is subjective" even though humans are all operating with only .01 percent of genetic difference so there are GONNA BE some more or less universal constructs
  • kex i wanna tell you about how great pointlessness is as well from a producer's perspective. i wanna say how delighted i am when i "intend" one thing (or think i do) and then someone comes along and spins my work on its head

but i don't wanna tell you this because you always take it hella personal and get angry and frustrated when people disagree with you on anything idgi.