The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• Anonus said:

Panurge said:

Anonus said:

What are you talking about people slaver over Rocko's Modern Life

it's a sacred cow.
    i saw some one dude say they never laughed at it as a kid

It's not really a kids' show, but in 1993 where the hell was its perverse ass supposed to go? MTV would have wanted an "edgier" show, Cartoon Network was just getting started and Hanna-Barbera was trying to shake off its toxic reputation...
    Acclaimed reviewer of cartoons, one dude
    yes I think he also said 101 was shit
    people who say things

''are shit''

and mean it seriously are not worth listening to ever.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

Anonus said:

Panurge said:

Anonus said:

What are you talking about people slaver over Rocko's Modern Life

it's a sacred cow.
    i saw some one dude say they never laughed at it as a kid

It's not really a kids' show, but in 1993 where the hell was its perverse ass supposed to go? MTV would have wanted an "edgier" show, Cartoon Network was just getting started and Hanna-Barbera was trying to shake off its toxic reputation...
    Acclaimed reviewer of cartoons, one dude
    yes I think he also said 101 was shit
    people who say things

''are shit''

and mean it seriously are not worth listening to ever.
    bad rats
  • ok look 

there are exceptions to most rules
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Baddical

Raddical

Bad Rats
    Film Crit Hulk is far from dumb, but I really wish he didn't have that gimmick.
  • I might actually listen to what he had to say if he didn't have that gimmick.

It's like the worst possible gimmick.

If you're going to pretend to be a Marvel character at least pick a cool one.

I might actually listen to what he had to say if he didn't have that gimmick.

We are no longer friends
    film crit pink pearl

He's stated many times that he does it because:
    *he's a Pretty Important Guy and it helps preserve anonymity
    *it makes it harder to skim if you actually intend on engaging with his ideas
    *it allows him to discuss with people open minded enough to take a writer called FILM CRIT HULK seriously
    *there are a million and one resources for converting case anyway

• Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    film crit speedwagon
    Kexruct said:

it allows him to discuss with people open minded enough to take a writer called FILM CRIT HULK seriously 

oh shit it's the limp bizkit defense
    Even Film Crit Speedwagon is afraid!
  • "I didn't get what I wanted from this ending" has been a running theme. That is not a mischaracterization. I had a friend literally say "fuck art"
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Panurge said:

Kexruct said:

it allows him to discuss with people open minded enough to take a writer called FILM CRIT HULK seriously 

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    The Northern Caves is really really good and i hope there's more

I am watching John Oliver's bit on Scottish Independence from last year

fucking beautiful.

Y'know i've never been a fan of John Oliver's style, but i've noticed he gets a lot of things spot-on

that said, that particular segment's really weird, rewatching it with hindsight . . . as in, how times have changed in such a short span of time

at the time i was firmly in the camp of 'it's Scotland's business and i respect their decision if they want to leave, but i really hope they won't leave us to the Tories'

and at the time, yeah, the government were trying to appease Scotland, even if they were doing so very badly

but ever since they voted to stay, the government has repeatedly insulted them and ignored their demands, and for some reason people in England bought into what they were saying. The Tories ran a successful election campaign in England on, basically, 'don't let the Scots win!'  Which i would have expected to be unthinkable, because who on earth hates Scotland?  idk if people were sore about the referendum or what

and now with the 'English votes for English laws' campaign they're doing their best to make sure that Scotland won't even have any say on what happens over here in future . . . it's at the point where i wonder if they wouldn't have been better off leaving, after all, even given the loss of the pound and the question of whether oil resources last
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Fellow autistic people: DAE find using a photocopier oddly satisfying?
    Tachyon said:

The author said more was coming in the next few days. The update schedule tends to come in big chunks between a week or two of inactivity.
    awesome

and also, thanks for telling me about this story! i liked it a lot

i'm reading the discussion thread atm, and there was some discussion of whether children notice the Christian elements in the Narnia books

i always figured Lewis was right - that children do get it - but maybe it depends how many of the books you read?  It wasn't so *very* obvious in The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, but in Voyage of the Dawn Treader it's extremely blatant, and it only gets more so from then onwards
    Well I could see a child from a non-Christian culture not getting it.
    I don't like Florida, but the plants and animals are so different that I occasionally feel I'm on an alien planet.
  • Panurge said:

Kexruct said:

You know how I get onto you for your mischaracterizations? Well now you're not going against an abstract subculture you don't like, you're pretty much just getting a sly dig at me. Don't do that.

He's stated many times that he does it because:
    *he's a Pretty Important Guy and it helps preserve anonymity
    *it makes it harder to skim if you actually intend on engaging with his ideas
    *it allows him to discuss with people open minded enough to take a writer called FILM CRIT HULK seriously
    *there are a million and one resources for converting case anyway

look Kex the bottom line is that I just don't care enough about movies to wade through a man who is not MF DOOM scream in all caps while pretending to be a Marvel character.

if you like him, cool. I'm sure I like plenty of things you'd find ridiculous and I apologize for picking on you.

and now

this

I am watching John Oliver's bit on Scottish Independence from last year

fucking beautiful.

Y'know i've never been a fan of John Oliver's style, but i've noticed he gets a lot of things spot-on

that said, that particular segment's really weird, rewatching it with hindsight . . . as in, how times have changed in such a short span of time

at the time i was firmly in the camp of 'it's Scotland's business and i respect their decision if they want to leave, but i really hope they won't leave us to the Tories'

and at the time, yeah, the government were trying to appease Scotland, even if they were doing so very badly

but ever since they voted to stay, the government has repeatedly insulted them and ignored their demands, and for some reason people in England bought into what they were saying. The Tories ran a successful election campaign in England on, basically, 'don't let the Scots win!'  Which i would have expected to be unthinkable, because who on earth hates Scotland?  idk if people were sore about the referendum or what

and now with the 'English votes for English laws' campaign they're doing their best to make sure that Scotland won't even have any say on what happens over here in future . . . it's at the point where i wonder if they wouldn't have been better off leaving, after all, even given the loss of the pound and the question of whether oil resources last
    I actually love Oliver's style

I kinda wish I had HBO so I could watch Last Week Tonight in full but it's the only thing I'd watch on it, so eh.

I don't really have a horse in the UK race cuz I don't live there. My understanding is that things are kinda bad in governmental terms right now so you have my sympathies if that's so.
  • honestly I think Oliver's show is the closest we'll get to a successor to The Daily Show.

The Nightly Show would be fine if Larry wasn't apparently A-OK with anti-vaxxers (and the death penalty but that's arguably more defensible).
    Kexruct said:

Panurge said:

Kexruct said:

You know how I get onto you for your mischaracterizations? Well now you're not going against an abstract subculture you don't like, you're pretty much just getting a sly dig at me. Don't do that.
    I felt this was unfair when I wrote it. You're right in callign me out on it.
  • Alright, we're good.
    Demon's Crest is a fun game
  • Panurge said:

I don't like Florida, but the plants and animals are so different that I occasionally feel I'm on an alien planet.

hm. i want to see your florida. flora, i get, but fauna's just lizards and roaches afaic
    In the most recent chapter of The Northern Caves, someone who is clearly Rottweiler makes an appearance.
  • Panurge said: Planet Jane said:I might actually listen to what he had to say if he didn't have that gimmick.

We are no longer friends

Hulk's definitively the hardest Marvel character for me to get my he
    ad around, though he still ranks higher than most of the X-men.

That said, World War Hulk is something I still really want to read, if only to see the brains of the Marvelverse get outmaneuvered by a green angry blod.
    Oh man screw the X-Men

You don't even need them, MCU, stop trying so hard.

Panurge said:

hm. i want to see your florida. flora, i get, but fauna's just lizards and roaches afaic
    Yarrun there are owls.

That burrow.

OWLS

THAT BURROW
  • The Avengers are definitely better than the X-Men in terms of star power.

There are some weird X-Men that I like though.
  • Oh yeah Devin Faraci also summed up why I loved the ending.

Suffice to say that as far as closure is concerned literally the entire game has been filled with side quests saying "Look at how complete this character's arc is!" so I'd say at least that end is objectively not loose.
  • kill living beings
    Tachyon said:

awesome

and also, thanks for telling me about this story! i liked it a lot

i'm reading the discussion thread atm, and there was some discussion of whether children notice the Christian elements in the Narnia books

i always figured Lewis was right - that children do get it - but maybe it depends how many of the books you read?  It wasn't so *very* obvious in The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, but in Voyage of the Dawn Treader it's extremely blatant, and it only gets more so from then onwards

I don't think I registered that Aslan was Jesus until I saw a joke in xkcd, and I read all of them. not being Christian is related
  • We can do anything if we do it together.

honestly I think Oliver's show is the closest we'll get to a successor to The Daily Show.

The Nightly Show would be fine if Larry wasn't apparently A-OK with anti-vaxxers (and the death penalty but that's arguably more defensible).
    I didn't know anything about this before, so I looked it up to see if it was overblown, because in my experience, just about all claims like that are.

• Panurge said:

Panurge said:

Yarrun there are owls.

That burrow.

OWLS

THAT BURROW
    that's very cool, but all i see are lizards and roaches

The Avengers are definitely better than the X-Men in terms of star power.

The X-Men work perfectly well as their own little self-contained thing, adding them to the Marvel Universe as a whole is just a clusterfuckathon
  • The Avengers are definitely better than the X-Men in terms of star power.

Beak is cool. Juggernaut and the Blob are cool. That one kid with the adaptation power is cool. Everyone else is 'meh' to 'ehhhh' for me.
  • honestly I think Oliver's show is the closest we'll get to a successor to The Daily Show.

I didn't know anything about this before, so I looked it up to see if it was overblown, because in my experience, just about all claims like that are.

No, I knew exactly what happened. He should be more thorough.

More generally, while I agree with most of what he says, Larry just isn't that funny and there are about three other Daily Show folks I would've picked to get their own show over him.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.

honestly I think Oliver's show is the closest we'll get to a successor to The Daily Show.

No, I knew exactly what happened. He should be more thorough.

More generally, while I agree with most of what he says, Larry just isn't that funny and there are about three other Daily Show folks I would've picked to get their own show over him.
    Yeah, that's more fair.

I bet that Comedy Central was kicking themselves when Jon Stewart decided to retire right after HBO had permanently snagged John Oliver.
    i was raised as a Christian, i guess that makes a difference to how you read those books.
  • edited 2015-06-02 23:27:58
    kill living beings
    also i don't remember aslan's death having a lot of impact on me

as far as i remember, his death and rebirth were in subsequent chapters? "deep magic from the beginning of time" and then "deeper magic from before the beginning of time". i didn't think "wow, what an amazing sacrifice!" so much as "damn, aslan, you just magicked circles around that nutty witch"

in any case my favorite books were a horse and his boy and the sailing one (dawn treader?), so maybe those are less obviously allegorical

I don't really have a horse in the UK race cuz I don't live there. My understanding is that things are kinda bad in governmental terms right now so you have my sympathies if that's so.

You could say that.

Currently we have an equalities minister who voted against gay marriage and a justice minister who has said he'd like to bring back hanging

thank you for the sympathies

also i don't remember aslan's death having a lot of impact on me

as far as i remember, his death and rebirth were in subsequent chapters? "deep magic from the beginning of time" and then "deeper magic from before the beginning of time". i didn't think "wow, what an amazing sacrifice!" so much as "damn, aslan, you just magicked circles around that nutty witch"

in any case my favorite books were a horse and his boy and the sailing one (dawn treader?), so maybe those are less obviously allegorical

the end of dawn treader is heavily allegorial, iirc that was the point where i 'got it', though before that point i think it was mostly just an adventure story

also it's possible the lamb = Jesus association is less potent if you haven't encountered it in church, idk
  • and Kex, concerning the Film Critic Hulk argument

as much as I respect the guy, i don't agree with him on this. he thinks that the ending represents themes that have been running in the game since the beginning, and I get that. but I feel that the ending's ethical complexity undermines the generally white/black structure that the games usually rely on.
    weirdly, i felt the ending was disappointing and undermined the ethical freedom of everything prior

idk, this is maybe the typical reaction
    to mass effect 3 i mean

not voyage of the dawn treader