The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    If anyone does remember it, it's most often because of their feud with Metallica.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    one of Metallica's many questionable moves
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Well, what is the current great streaming site?
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Also there are still clients that support the Gnutella protocol, and that amuses me for some reason.
  • honestly i have no idea, i dont think anyone streams things illegally anymore they just download zips of stuff off of various cloud locker whatevers.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

Also there are still clients that support the Gnutella protocol, and that amuses me for some reason.

I'd rather have a client that supports the Nutella protocol, myself.
    is torrents still a thing

Is water wet? :P
    sometimes

I'd rather have a client that supports the Nutella protocol, myself.
    I can't recommend eating viruses, to be quite honest.
    (2015 self)
    "what the world considers to be an American accent is really the original British accent, with Southern drawl being another import to the New World, and the modern English accent first appeared in the 1860's."

TACHY, IS THIS TRUE.

HAVE I BEEN LIED TO MY ENTIRE LIFE?!!
    !
    (2015 self)
  • kill living beings
    Well, it's true insofar as you believe people could soundexactly the same over s century later
    (2015 self)
    Well, yeah, but did the English of back then say their "r" sounds, or did they drop them in the 1860's?

And can't we see from rhymes what vowel sounds they had?
  • Vampire Lady of Corvidia

(The other Jane)
    Aliroz said:
    Actually, this is misleading. It's much more complicated than "american accents are the ORIGINAL british accent". Both dialects have had significant changes, many shared. The speech of Shakespeare would sound very different from either an American or a British accent
  • Vampire Lady of Corvidia

(The other Jane)
    Aliroz said:

"what the world considers to be an American accent is really the original British accent, with Southern drawl being another import to the New World, and the modern English accent first appeared in the 1860's."

TACHY, IS THIS TRUE.

HAVE I BEEN LIED TO MY ENTIRE LIFE?!!
    Also, I'm pretty sure the 'Southern drawl' originated in the Americas.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.

what.cd still exists, so yes, they are.
  • edited 2015-03-14 04:04:11
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    A'ight, but it's not correct to say that what Americans did was to somehow "copy the entire language" or to "get their language from the british and then have the gall to tell the british that they speak it wrong", right?

That the southern drawl can be traced back just as far, if not farther, as the glasgow accent?

That American english is real english?

That I'm not stupid and useless and with a not-really-english accent? That it's okay for me not to speak with RP?

-linguisticfeelsliroz-
    the hell is what.cd
  • The "Uptown Funk" remix dropped today

the hell is what.cd

A site where you pay a membership fee and they give you torrents of new music.

It's....kinda the audio equivalent of Something Awful, in terms of community.
    sounds like something not really worth it but that's just my opinion
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    You don't actually have to pay to get into what.cd.

I think you have to do some sort of interview or know someone who will give you an invite. The latter is what happened to me.

Jane is pretty accurate about the community, though, and that's why I don't really participate in it.
    so it's an invite-only thing? almost as bad
  • so it's an invite-only thing? almost as bad

yeah that Heapers' Hangout place is so awful
    damn straight
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god

The "Uptown Funk" remix dropped today

the hell is what.cd

A site where you pay a membership fee and they give you torrents of new music.

It's....kinda the audio equivalent of Something Awful, in terms of community.
    Our pep band has a really cool arrangement of Uptown Funk that our drumline director dude (I have no idea what his actual title is. His name is Brent, but we call him Burt because he's deaf in one ear and he' couldn't tell the difference. He embraced his new name once he figured it out) created. Sadly, we couldn't play it at the pac-12 tournaments because we technically don't have rights to it yet :/
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Aliroz said:

A'ight, but it's not correct to say that what Americans did was to somehow "copy the entire language" or to "get their language from the british and then have the gall to tell the british that they speak it wrong", right?

That the southern drawl can be traced back just as far, if not farther, as the glasgow accent?

That I'm not stupid and useless and with a not-really-english accent? That it's okay for me not to speak with RP?

-linguisticfeelsliroz-

accents changed since the 1600s in the uk as much as they did in the usa, yeah.

the non-rhotic "southern belle" accent does resemble certain lower-class british accents because of the relatively close directions the drift went

american spelling is influenced by spelling reformer noah webster who tried to spell words as they were pronounced and simplify spelling, even if he was far from completely successful, whereas british spelling as influenced by oxford's dictionary projects, which put heavy emphasis on historical origins of english words, even if there are a few amusing cases where due to coincidence or overcorrection the american spelling is actually closer; i've seen a few cracks about english (traditional) and english (simplified), which only really make sense in reference to the official spellings and their origins rather than anything about accent

also, "soccer" as a term originated in england as slang from the proper term "association football".
  • You don't actually have to pay to get into what.cd.

I think you have to do some sort of interview or know someone who will give you an invite. The latter is what happened to me.

Jane is pretty accurate about the community, though, and that's why I don't really participate in it.

Last I heard there was a $20 membership fee.

But maybe that's if you don't know someone, idk.
  • Aliroz said:

-linguisticfeelsliroz-

supposedly "Shakespearean" English is still spoken on a few islands & isolated communities on the Virginia coast which were settled early

i have also heard reproductions of "original" English which sound like a kind of mix between that sort of american accent and a rural southwest England accent

i doubt anybody could say what the "original" accent sounded like, if such a thing even existed, and every accent can be traced back as far as any other. nowadays american English is probably more "real" than British, all the Europeans i know who learned English speak with an american accent because they've picked it up from tv shows

• that has no real relation to what i was talking about i just like extinct dialects/languages
  • edited 2015-03-14 15:04:06
    why do people like retina displays so much

at least with pixelation you can say you can see exactly where something is like if you're editing an image you can crop/draw/merge/etc. with pixel-perfect accuracy even in ms paint

why do you WANT the world to look fuzzier

and all your OS graphical UI elements to look smaller so you have to squint harder to see anything
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I have no desire to go back to the days of 800x600 desktops, Glenn.
  • thanks, ants --> thants

bless you, ants --> blants

white meat --> wheat
    clockwork --> clerk
    busywork --> berk
    anime fan --> ann
    super power --> sour
    hour hand --> and
    pant leg --> peg
    sylvan tale --> sale
    kick-off --> cough
    cave story --> cory
    swim trunks --> sunks
    deer tick --> dick
    piano wire --> pyre
    midsummer night --> might
    stage show --> stow

fuck you --> fuu

hououji_fuu_sad.png
  • chaika 1 has nice op and ed
  • edited 2015-03-14 17:16:11
    We can do anything if we do it together.

You don't actually have to pay to get into what.cd.

Last I heard there was a $20 membership fee.

But maybe that's if you don't know someone, idk.
    I have never heard of there being one.

I can't find any information on it now, but maybe that's something they had early on.
  • I should probably have mentioned, the last time I talked about what.cd with anyone was years ago when acquaintance/rapper Ant-Live was trying to get a membership.
    the black desert under the endless night
  • Honestly the idea that any medium of communication could ever remain completely free of corporate and government surveillance is....naive, to be nice.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    ^^ Reality is scarier and funnier than fiction.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Wait is that story even true?
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god

the time has come
    Yes, good, join us. 

the time has come
    Yes, good, join us. 
    oh I've had the game for a while

just not like

legally