The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• Oh, no. I'm completely serious.
  • naney said:

man that album is so good thank you for dustracting me

The joke is that Hancock got the idea for the whistle at the beginning from a Madonna album
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I want to go on a romantic vacation with my sweetie
  • Relationship goals: pizza.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    WITCHCRAFT SUPPLY WAREHOUSE

13800 Seaside Highway
    Buttercup Bay, Centralia

http://buttercupbaywitchcraftsupply.ct/
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    that link is fake :(
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I don't want anybody else

When I think about you I kill myself

that link is fake :(

You wanted to buy some witchcraft supplies, didn't you

• My dreams exceed my real life
    Sometimes I think America gets too much hate, then I remember we put George Bush in office a second time.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    So, over the last 45 minutes, I took the snippings from my dad pruning a tree and made 27 branch-trees in the dirt.

I used to do this all the time when I was little.

Also done today:  playing in sandbox.

There are some days when I wonder what I am doing with my life.  Tday is not one of those days.

And it's only 1:14!  Think of all the other fun I can have today with books and spirographs and legoes!
    (2015 self)
    Panurge said:

Sometimes I think America gets too much hate, then I remember we put George Bush in office a second time.

Fair enough.

(And that's not even getting into the badness that is Ronald Reagan, or the horror that isAndrew Jackson).
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    The Princess's Court

first thing I thought of:

(I moved the post because that thread isn't in General >.<)
  • edited 2015-03-13 19:32:53
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    You know, given that Bill Gates considered Steve Jobs to be his friend, I've never understood the Mac people's dislike for PC.

Or the whole need of PC users to demonize Jobs.

I respect both men, but I know more about Gates.
    Well, in the early days, IBM had a lot more control over the PC than Microsoft did, and IBM (and the middle management who bought IBM) were seen as The Enemy, an army of drones that they believed should know better. It took years for PCs to reach user-interface parity with the Mac, and a lot of that was because of how badly mismanaged OS/2 was (and I would not be surprised if IBM was gumming up the works to protect the AS/400...)
  • I don't know anything about Steve Jobs I just think Apple, with the exception of the iPod, makes bad products.
    Also, Windows back then was not only not quite finished, it was hamstrung both by lawsuits (Apple sued Microsoft and a couple of others for borrowing from the Mac a bit too closely; they eventually lost) and by getting dragged into the OS/2 mess. Apathy helped a lot, too; people using PCs were more than content to use things like Lotus 1-2-3 and WordPerfect 4.2 forever. It wasn't until Windows 3.0 came out in 1990 that people really started caring about a GUI on the PC.
  • So, Nicki Minaj did the voice for a one-episode character in Steven Universe

Why did I ever get bored of this show? 
  • edited 2015-03-13 19:45:32
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    It's not so much that Apple makes bad products, on a "does it work well as a computer" level; it's when you get to things like "can I fix it when it breaks" and "will this thing be usable in 5 years" that things start getting rough. Apple has embraced planned obsolescence emphatically since the iPhone came out, and if you don't have the money for the upgrade treadmill, you're better off getting a PC...
    I'm officially on Spring Break. Yay!

I don't know anything about Steve Jobs I just think Apple, with the exception of the iPod, makes bad products.

iPhones seem decently designed, decently functional, and exceptionally durable--my mom still uses an iPhone 4, there's no way a cheaper phone would last that long--but I dislike how locked-down the whole system is. You can't even access the battery.
  • I don't know anything about Steve Jobs I just think Apple, with the exception of the iPod, makes bad products.

iPhones seem decently designed, decently functional, and exceptionally durable--my mom still uses an iPhone 4, there's no way a cheaper phone would last that long--but I dislike how locked-down the whole system is. You can't even access the battery.
    Well I've never had an iPhone, so I'd not know.
  • i like my iphone ok
    I was thinking of Macs in particular; iPhones themselves are their own beasts, and they're actually built a little nicer than Macs are these days...

I don't know anything about Steve Jobs I just think Apple, with the exception of the iPod, makes bad products.

Then I guess my question is what are you basing the "bad products" thing on? Macs?

Then I guess my question is what are you basing the "bad products" thing on? Macs?
    Yes.

I've had the great displeasure of using several Macs of various makes in my lifetime and they always struck me as just

not very good? Is the polite way to put it I guess.
    (2015 self)
    Centie, didn't you say that it kinda bugged you how Bill gates was a rather pleasant fellow?

Why?
    I can't speak to modern Macs, since the last one I had was one o' them white iMacs from when they first switched to x86

But I rather enjoyed my Macs back in the day

To each her own, I guess
  • edited 2015-03-14 01:39:56
    (2015 self)
    Guys, when will the Gravity Falls episodes that are coming out now be legally available for people who do not have that channel?

I know that nowadays, the trend is to upload to the illegal streaming community and make money off of that, but please please there has to be something for the rest of us.

And dang it, by the time I see those episodes, it will be old hat and you guys won't want to talk about it so half the fun will be gone.

Being a law-abiding citizen is no fun.
  • kill living beings
    tv.com seems to have episodes up to... monday
    Aliroz said:

Guys, when will the Gravity Falls episodes that are coming out now be legally available for people who do not have that channel?

I know that nowadays, the trend is to upload to the illegal streaming community and make money off of that, but please please there has to be something for the rest of us.

And dang it, by the time I see those episodes, it will be old hat and you guys won't want to talk about it so half the fun will be gone.

Being a law-abiding citizen is no fun.
    If you're willing to pay for them, there's Amazon and iTunes and such.
  • Itunes has them at 3 dollars an episode.

Amazon has them at 2 dollars each if you're willing to sacrifice HD. 1 dollar each if you buy the whole first season at once (which adds up to a 20 dollar purchase).

...your birthday is coming up, isn't it?
    throw the horns
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    There's an illegal steaming community?

I mean, they make money?
  • edited 2015-03-14 02:28:36
    (2015 self)
    I don't know.

LIke, promise the illegal streaming guys like Napster that you won't sue them so long as they give you some of the money they make off of ad revenue.

Yes, Yarrun, my birthday is coming up.  That's kinda random, but okay.

• i hope frozen 2 is directed by constable-frozen
    I remember Napster, the rest of you prolly don't
  • I remember when it turned legit
  • yeah, the original owners sold it to Bertelsmann
  • oh wait no it got sold to Roxio
    I remember playing songs from Napster in RealPlayer.

Remember *shudder* RealPlayer?
    (2015 self)
    Wait, I thought Napster was the current thing.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napster#Legal_challenges

Napster was basically shut down in 2001.
    It still exists, but it's a streaming service similar to Spotify or Google Play All Access now.
  • edited 2015-03-14 03:24:19

14 years is close geologically speaking at least.
  • i just finished the xkcd what if book and there was a reference to kyo durron which caused me to remember that yes, i do have a fairly comprehensive knowledge of the star wars expanded universe

i am my own worst enemy
  • edited 2015-03-14 03:26:51
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    It's kinda funny, really. Napster was instrumental in the proliferation of later P2P stuff, as well as changing how the music industry interacted with the internet, and yet at the same time, it's nearly forgotten.