The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• is it a good game

Centie was wondering about it
  • It's good

hard to understand at first because the tutorial (such as it is) is not very helpful, but I've enjoyed it so far.
  • a game can be thought of as mechanical devices for advancing the presentation of a plot, but that thinking makes for poor game design

rather, the gameplay ought to be used to bring the player into the character's shoes, letting the player experience the character's journey through a set of experiences.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

It's good

hard to understand at first because the tutorial (such as it is) is not very helpful, but I've enjoyed it so far.
    I'm a veteran SimCity 4 player, so I can't imagine it's too hard to wrap my head around
  • I imagine you'll grasp roadbuilding better than I did.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Heh.
    *gives the next poster the Centralia license plate "SEXY1"*
  • Adam Tod Brown is the world's most mild person.

Heh.

I mean that sincerely.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Panurge said:

Is there anyone out there who goes "YES, another one of Adam Tod Brown's righteous opinion pieces about music! Bring the hurt, Adam!"

YOU DON'T EVEN OWN A CAR JANE

WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO WITH A LICENSE PLATE
  • YOU DON'T EVEN OWN A CAR JANE

what Flava Flav does with clocks
    Like, even when he's handed an interesting subject he brings nothing.

YOU DON'T EVEN OWN A CAR JANE

what Flava Flav does with clocks
    Very well

Here you are

Fun fact: in early 2015, the Centralia Ministry of Transporation had a run of month stickers in Clear Sans because Central Avenue somehow didn't have Source Sans installed anymore and was too lazy to fix it, or to crop out the bit of the license plate next to that one on the template. Plates with the Clear Sans stickers are now collectors' items

I legitimately do not understand this picture.
  • words don't not mean anything

having variable meaning does not equal having no meaning

it just means that there's a probability distribution of that meaning over meaningspace
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    ^^ I giggled.
  • Welp.

Terry Pratchett died.
  • Inside Every Living Person is a Dead Person Waiting to Get Out…

• this is all a little overwhelming
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    I... don't know what to say.
  • Found this out during a Biology lecture on death and decay.

Now I want to go home, read Good Omens and cry.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    First Leonard Nimoy, then Sam Simon, now Terry Pratchett...

It looks like death does come in threes...
  • i regret to inform you that, in all of that time, more than 3 people have died
  • He lived a good life and left a voluminous legacy behind him. I loved his books too (although I haven't read all of them), but I don't think we should feel sad for him.
  • edited 2015-03-12 17:10:22
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    naney said:

i regret to inform you that, in all of that time, more than 3 people have died

I'm aware of that. 

It's just that seeing three people who were so renowned and influential among nerds and hipsters all dying so close together like that of similar causes kinda threw me for a bit of a loop.

My first post was probably kinda silly in retrospect, but it's still sad to see them all go.
  • The Mysterious Ballerina and her Tree Stump Ghosts
    Oh wow, that's sad news. I dunno if I'm as much of a fan of him as I was in my teens, but his books were a big part of my reading life

I think I have a copy of Wyrd Sisters lying around, I think I'm going to read that tonight
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I've only read one Pratchett book, myself, but still, this is sad.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    I'll probably reread Monstrous Regiment. It was my first Pratchett book, and although a lot of people find it one of his weaker ones, it's still one of my favourites.
  • The Mysterious Ballerina and her Tree Stump Ghosts
    Monstrous Regiment was a good book. Well, I enjoyed it at least.

His earlier books were his best imo but he was still a good enough writer that there's enough to take away from most of his work
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    It's a stupid joke is what it is, that celebrities perish in trios.

I'll definitely miss Pratchett.
    Terry Pratchett was a wonderful man who faced life and death with extraordinary amounts of dignity.

RIP Terry. You were an inspiration.
  • Let's hope 2015 doesn't become a repeat of 2014 when we lost so many awesome people.
  • edited 2015-03-12 19:41:34
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Acererak said:

Welp.

Terry Pratchett died.
    No. His books helped me during some of the darker times of my life.

His books were my favorite for so many years, and are still among the list of favorites.

Back in summer 2010, when I was first commenting on Tv Tropes, making friends with Yarrun and Bisected 8 and Kuro Fox and others, I promised myself that I could reveal my name and gender the day that Pratchett died, to show how much his books meant; and because after that happened, nothing could be the same again (I mean, Asimov and Douglas Adams had died, but they died before I got into their works. I'd never experienced the death of a favorite author before).

I had a whole written-up thing prepared.

But I'm not the person I was in 2010.

It still hurts, but after losing both my grandfathers, Brian Jacques (my childhood author), and Ray Bradbury, it's not the earth-changing event it would have been five years ago.

Daaaang, in only a couple weeks it will be the fifth-year anniversary of my first post on Tv Tropes. Not long after that, five-year anniversary of making friends with Yarrun.

In a couple of days it will be the five-year anniversary of the first time words I wrote were ever on the internet. I remember thinking, "whoa! I'm writing things... on the internet, where people can read them.  I can talk to people who I haven't actually met!  Nobody knows who I am!"

He lived the life he wanted to live, and died the death he wanted to die.
  • Tools said:

Let's hope 2015 doesn't become a repeat of 2014 when we lost so many awesome people.

Well Walt Peregoy and Gary Owens died this year too...
  • lol i forgot i had 2 deadlines on tuesday. looks like im going to be doing some work on the weekend

luckily its not big assignments though
    Panurge said:

I heard that Miyazaki said he sees Bloodborne as "the first brand to truly help players leverage their content creation skills in a multiplayer online battle arena". It will "allow players who fall behind an opportunity to get ahead through cheap as free microtransactions" and will be aimed at "little tiny babies who poop hard in their diapers"

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I finally watched Todd's "Word Up" episode. My reaction: 

CANON

That is all.
  • There's a Frozen sequel in the works.

I think it should be called "Frozen 2: Global Warming."
    Frozen 2: Grim And Frostbitten Moongoats Of The North
  • Frozen 2: Hey, Remember The Girls Parents? It's Okay, Neither Do We.
    Frozen 2: Imi Directed This One So It's Really Weird And Full of Big Tits
    Frozen 2: I'M MELTING NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    Frozen 2: Disney Cashes In Again
  • Frozen 2: The Legend Of The Titanic
    Frozen 2: This Time With Rapping Dogs
  • man yesterday I was thinking like "I should read Discworld sometime"

jeez