The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• don't even bother it's boring
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)

Aliroz said:

Heapers, if it should ever strike you that I am getting a little overjudgemental in my posts, or giving less pains to a case than it deserves, kindly whisper, "tor.com" to me and I will be infinitely obliged to you.

Sherlock quote recognized

From one of the best stories, at that.
    (2015 self)

Right Lane - People With Creepy Sexual Proclivities Only

Next 3 Miles

Does Asexuality count as creepy?
    (2015 self)
    Odradek said:

I'm not normally one for conspiracies, but what if Marcus Aurelius was just a huge dickhead, but since he was emperer he forbid anyone from saying anything bad about him, and just had someone ghost write Meditations to make him look good? And the reason he made his son emperor was because he was the only one he could trust to make sure no one wrote about what a shithead he was after he died...

This is funnier because the kid grows up to cosplay as Hercules and beat up ostriches
    Ah, Commodus and his father.

Perfect comedy philosophy team.
  • Right Lane - People With Creepy Sexual Proclivities Only

Next 3 Miles

but people with creepy sexual proclivities may still use the other lanes
  • The onset of catastrophe is not signaled by the sense of everything falling through the dark and ending in accidental death: everything, including a catastrophe, has a moment-by-moment structure, a structure that is beyond measurement or comprehension, that is maddeningly complex or must be conceived in quite another manner, one in which the degree of complexity can be articulated only in terms of images that seem impossible to conjure since time has slowed down to the point that the world has become indifferent to circumstances and various terrible preconditions have arrived at a perfect universal conclusion, that being because they are composed of intentions, because the moment is the result of unconscious choices, because a key doesn’t immediately fit into the ignition, because we do not start in third gear then move down to second but because we start in second and move into third as we move down the hill then turn onto a highway above the village, because the distance before us is like looking down a tunnel, because the greenery on the boughs still smells of morning dew, because of the death of a dog and someone’s badly executed maneuver when turning left, that is to say because of one missed choice or another, of more missed choices and still more missed choices ad infinitum, all those maddening had-we-but-known choices impossible to conceptualize because the situation we find ourselves in is complicated, determined by something that is in the nature of neither God nor the devil, whose ways are impenetrable to us and are doomed to remain so because choice is not simply a matter of choosing, but the result of that which might have happened anyway.
    ftw
  • szirtes translating krasznahorkai is like my contemporary lit dream team or sth
  • Problem with Monty Python jokes is that they're...sometimes, basically just contextless.

Now, now that they've been made and are famous, people use them as cultural touchstones upon which to build other jokes.  Which do have context.

But the original just doesn't feel very funny as is.
  • Monty python is funny you just have to watch the jokes which havent been rammed into the ground by every1
  • Monty Python's Flying Circus is probably my favorite live action television show.

Which isn't saying much since I watch very few of them, but it's so.

In any case, the jokes not having context is the joke a lot of the time. When Python wasn't doing satire, it was doing surrealism.
  • i recommend "Confuse A Cat" and "Silly Job Interview" as some good-ass python sketches
  • sunn wolf said:

Monty python is funny you just have to watch the jokes which havent been rammed into the ground by every1

such as the larch.

the

larch.

the larch.

the

larch.
  • sunn wolf said:

Monty python is funny you just have to watch the jokes which havent been rammed into the ground by every1

such as the larch.

the

larch.

the larch.

the

larch.
    also excellent
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I liked the Piranha Brothers sketch
  • Odradek said:

I liked the Piranha Brothers sketch

that has been a long-time favorite for me as well
    I wonder how monty python fits into Britain's mad hatred for itself
  • I've always been a fan of the "How to defend yourself against Fresh Fruit" sketch.
    http://lesswrong.com/lw/kwd/rationality_quotes_september_2014/bbbe

Y'all thought I was joking about killing all the math nerds, but not doing so is a big impediment to World Peace
  • edited 2014-09-29 17:50:55
    random person that i responded to on steam forum just friended me

and now he's (going by avatar gender) giving me a steam game gift

and he acts a little weird

not sure if should accept

thinking of rejecting
  • edited 2014-09-29 17:52:44
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)

thinking of rejecting

It's a gift, I don't see how it's harmful, and, well, it's a gift.
  • it's a good thing I'm only a cultural nerd

hehhehheeeheh
  • Aliroz said:

thinking of rejecting

It's a gift, I don't see how it's harmful, and, well, it's a gift.
    it also sort of cements a social relationship that I'm not sure I want to have.
  • besides, it's not a game i really want.
    (2015 self)
    Alright, I can see why you'd reject.
  • edited 2014-09-29 18:52:12

i have purchased tickets to go see the beau
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    over which dates?
  • dec. 26th to jan. 15th
  • a bit shorter than what i had wanted to do but it'll have to do!
    lucky you, Centie and I are meeting up between December 19 and 22
  • edited 2014-09-29 19:21:02
    (2015 self)
    =/

(2015 self)
    (I actually didn't intend the similarity to Yarrun's post)
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    HH is the only site that works reliably for me right now :\
  • what is everyone all :/
  • but i'm :|, not :/

and centie is :\
  • we're seeing life from a different angle
  • edited 2014-09-29 20:02:22
    (2015 self)
    Anyways, apparently Steven Universe is the, well, it's up there with Adventure Time and Regular SHow, and is probably the completing angle of that triangle.

Either that, or it's the completing angle of the adventure-time and Gravity falls triangle.
    Seriously, I saw an episode of Steven Universe and loved it.  WHy is it not popular?
    It is popular

Just not here
    (2015 self)
    Anonus said:

It is popular

Just not here
    Why?

We like Gravity Falls and Adventure Time, and we like Regular Show.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Asking why is fruitless. It just is.

Although for serious I love Steven Universe so much.
  • edited 2014-09-29 20:19:19

sunn wolf said:

When people connected to the hotspot, the terms and conditions they were asked to sign up to included a “Herod clause” promising free Wi-Fi but only if “the recipient agreed to assign their first born child to us for the duration of eternity”. Six people signed up.
    what if

1. you don't plan on having children?
    2. you simply refuse when the time comes?

Tre said:

I feel like playing [Spec Ops: The Line] would murder my sanity, so I'm leaving it unredeemed even though I have a Steam key for it

I'll probably burn it off in a giveaway or a sale or something
    I keep on hearing that it's basically like a deconstruction of the military FPS or something

not sure if i should play it since i actually haven't played other military FPSes
    As someone who hasn't played military FPSes, it also works as a critique of the glorification of militarism and the way heroism is portrayed in media. Also has some hella effective psychological horror. And as long as you get the general idea of military shooters (US as the hero more or less, black and white morality dressed up in superficial trappings of ambiguity, etc.) the critique of that genre in particular will still make sense anyway.
    I thought the white phosphourus sscene works better if you've played an FPS and know how certain segments work, but sure.
  • Worked absolutely fine for me just because of how much I did not want to do it. I was hoping for it to be a cutscene, but nope, I have to participate in a damn minigame to do this horrible thing. I have to get good at it.

The difference between Modern Warfare and The Line is that The Line doesn't let you skip the scary part.
    See what I was thinking towards the end was. "I bet that's their base! I'll destroy it! I'm the best at videogames!"
    (2015 self)
    Wait, White Phosphorus??  Is that a real thing?
  • edited 2014-09-29 21:07:10
    Yep. It's been used pretty extensively in various modern wars/conflicts.