The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    *does some mental math*

So 24-ET cancels out [-30, -1, 0, 0, 10]?
  • I enjoy raocow's rambling commentaries, usually.

in his last video he played a level based on Rayman, made me think of Tre

eeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyy
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    At my neighbor-cousin's house yesterday, I played a bit of Rayman, the one on the xbox 360.

Holy cow, no wonder Tre likes it so much.
  • The greatest proof of justice and mercy
    God's supreme goodness
    and his loving caress
    inhabit these abrasive pillars of dust,
    the black veil at the horizon
    soon to hush in velvet silence
    your daughter's last breath,
    crowning you the depositary
    of ten thousand indignities:
    the eminent king of a world in dismay.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Things that piss me off: doctor's offices or therapist's offices that charge you a fee for cancelling less than 24 hours before your appointment.

The sheer audacity of charging someone for NOT using your services just angers me on a deep level.
  • edited 2014-09-30 11:19:08

the fee is for wasting their time because they won't be able to fill in the spot on such short notice
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Why is that my problem though? It seems like it should be on them to just take the hit.
    I mean it's great if I know more than 24 hours ahead of time that I can't make the appointment, but if something suddenly comes up and I have to cancel at the last minute, I shouldn't be punished for it.
    Well, that time slot could have been filled with someone who needs to see them more than you and could have been pencilled in if you cancelled earlier. It sucks for you, but it's also a problem for them and possibly for other people as well.
    I guess. It's just, when I have to cancel an appointment because I don't have the gas money to get there, being charged for it feels like adding insult to injury.

I mean, are there really people who would just cancel without notice for the hell of it? It seems like the only time it would even be an issue is if there were extenuating circumstances.
    Thought: I wonder who at Apple decided that their mice should plug into their keyboards instead of plugging directly into the computers. And why.
  • i felt bad because i had a dentist appointment and i forgot it completely. but they didnt charge me
  • The GIF is now recognized as an icon of amateur web aesthetics: an effective device for meme creation, satire and cultural commentary, not to mention art concerned with exploring these themes. But what does GIF appreciation say about contemporary life? GIFs are chiefly agents of pleasure within a sensibility that predominates online, but one that has yet to be invoked in analyses of the format: that of camp. The web-born incarnation of this attitude goes well beyond historical definitions of camp as (variously) over-the-top sprezzatura, effete affectation, stereotypical homosexual display and its hammy adoption by straight society. In fact, it has a potentially international and transcultural reach as a genderless way of engaging with the modern world. As Susan Sontag wrote: ‘the lover of camp appreciates vulgarity […] sniffs the stink and prides himself on his strong nerves’.

This line is from a key section in Sontag’s famous 1964 essay ‘Notes on Camp’, in which she argues that the ‘lover of camp in the age of mass culture’ is the modern incarnation of the dandy. While the dandy sought rarefied experience as a remedy for boredom, the lover of camp appreciates ‘the coarsest, commonest pleasures, in the arts of the masses’. If, as I’m suggesting, camp is the dominant sensibility of the web, then GIF appreciation – as an ennui suppressant accessed through exposure to the coarsest, most common produce of mass culture – might be the answer to this question: how to be a dandy in the information age?
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    GIF

JIF
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    GIF is DUST
    WEBM is GOD

Thought: I wonder who at Apple decided that their mice should plug into their keyboards instead of plugging directly into the computers. And why.

Takes up fewer USB ports and allows you to get further from the computer with the keyboard if the cords are of a sufficient length. Makes perfect sense to me, particularly if you don't have one of those roll-out keyboard spaces on your desk, or if you have at least one drive and/or MP3 player plugged in.
    I mean, how is that not perfectly logical?
  • kill living beings
    well, it means your keyboard/computer protocol actually has to be a keyboard+stuff/computer protocol. that's kind of weird.
    Oh, it makes perfect sense with USB, since USB ports can be used for other things--I used to use the left-hand "mouse" port on my keyboard to plug in my printer, so as to save a port on the computer itself--but I just wonder how it came about, since they've been doing this since long before USB was a thing.
  • edited 2014-09-30 12:34:22
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^^ ...so?

It's physically a more convenient set-up. Having the mouse and keyboard as separate protocols strikes me as an irrational holdover from a time when mice were a new thing. And it's not like you can't have the mouse plugged in directly on a Mac—but who would want to?

^ Again, efficiency.
    I'm sorry if my tone is aggressive, but I don't see the point of other arrangements when they just take up space.
  • looks like someferret is feelin defensive over his apple products
    At least Apple never pulled that shit a lot of PC manufacturers used to do where the keyboard and mouse used different (and thus incompatible) pinouts/protocols but had identical connectors. That was always dumb.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    So how about that Spec Ops huh?

• kill living beings

^^ ...so?

it's just that it's more complicated to engineer. if you had a dedicated protocol like PS/2 rather than USB you'd have to alter the protocol so you could multiplex two command signals over the same line. (you'd do that with USB too except i imagine USB has muxing already.) and more complicated engineering means weirder problems to fix, on the end user end (wow) of things.

it's not like it's impossible obviously, it's just a bit more complicated.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)

At least Apple never pulled that shit a lot of PC manufacturers used to do where the keyboard and mouse used different (and thus incompatible) pinouts/protocols but had identical connectors. That was always dumb.

Hey, stupid PC crud like that builds character an-okay, yeah, I can't do it.

Yeah, that was always dumb.

They actually did that?

Look, I know I'm supposed to be fair-minded, and I will admit that Apple have done some really dumb things (especially in the Jobs-less years), but Microsoft really were masters of counterintuitive consumer-baiting bullshit.

naney said:

looks like someferret is feelin defensive over his apple products

Always. u___u
  • kill living beings
    ok i'm looking it up now. apple lisa had the first external keyboard. you connected it with /TRS/. as in, the kind of plug you put in stereos??

the past is weird
  • edited 2014-09-30 12:48:57
    kill living beings
    i'm not sure i understand CA's complaint re pinouts

also hardware problems would mostly not be microsoft's fault, but IBM is also crazy so whatever
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    When I was a little-un my favorite Disney movies were Alice in Wonderland and Hercules.

Those were the two we didn't own
  • naney said:

Always. u___u
    hipsterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

:3

• kill living beings
    It was this mouse that established Apple's mouse as a one-button device for over 20 years. Every single aspect of the mouse was researched and developed, from how many buttons to include, to how loud the click should be. The original case design was Bill Dresselhaus's and took on an almost Art Deco flavor with its formal curving lines to coordinate with the Lisa.
    this may be the most stereotypically "Apple" thing i've ever read

^^ ...so?

it's just that it's more complicated to engineer. if you had a dedicated protocol like PS/2 rather than USB you'd have to alter the protocol so you could multiplex two command signals over the same line. (you'd do that with USB too except i imagine USB has muxing already.) and more complicated engineering means weirder problems to fix, on the end user end (wow) of things.

it's not like it's impossible obviously, it's just a bit more complicated.
    Again, isn't the point to make a product that is easy-to-use, efficient and versatile? The protocol on the development end may be more complicated, which in theory can cause more complicated problems, but it also consolidates things: You only have to deal with bugs in one protocol, for one thing, and it makes the whole interaction between user and machine simpler overall.

also hardware problems would mostly not be microsoft's fault, but IBM is also crazy so whatever

Maybe it's just the autism speaking, but it always bugged me that you would make two peripherals with identical plugs if they weren't interchangeable

I guess it was a cost-cutting measure since it meant they only had to produce one kind of connector instead of two, but still
  • kill living beings
    imagealmost art deco
    naney said:

naney said:

Always. u___u

Had my parents not been forced to sell their Apple stock the year (or was it month?) before Jobs came back, we would have had nearly half a million dollars in Apple stock. No joke.

That's not hipsterism. That's dedication.

It was this mouse that established Apple's mouse as a one-button device for over 20 years. Every single aspect of the mouse was researched and developed, from how many buttons to include, to how loud the click should be. The original case design was Bill Dresselhaus's and took on an almost Art Deco flavor with its formal curving lines to coordinate with the Lisa.
    this may be the most stereotypically "Apple" thing i've ever read
    Yup! Industrial design is a big deal. It sounds silly when you talk about it much of the time, though.
    -T + m2g sinθ = m2a

T - m1g = m1a

I know the values of m1, m2, θ, and obviously g, and I'm supposed to solve for T and a

How do I go about this? What am I missing here? :\

Maybe it's just the autism speaking, but it always bugged me that you would make two peripherals with identical plugs if they weren't interchangeable

I guess it was a cost-cutting measure since it meant they only had to produce one kind of connector instead of two, but still
    No, I completely understand. It's really annoying and counterintuitive.
  • naney said:

naney said:

Always. u___u

Had my parents not been forced to sell their Apple stock the year (or was it month?) before Jobs came back, we would have had nearly half a million dollars in Apple stock. No joke.

that ducks

i meant to type sucks but i typed ducks instead

quack

*quacks of sorrow*

Yeah.
  • kill living beings

You only have to deal with bugs in one protocol, for one thing,

no, you have to deal with bugs in the protocol as operates with only a keyboard connected and also in the protocol as operates with a mouse connected to the keyboard, because those are going to be pretty different operation modes. plus there's the keyboard/mouse protocol.

also it means you can't use a mouse without a keyboard, so there's a point of failure. and you can't have some other peripheral that looks like a keyboard to the computer (like i dunno, braille input or a chorded keyboard) without having to worry about the mouse too.

it's just not the engineering decision i would make. of course it's a fairly small one in the scheme of things, and apple have obviously been doing it this way for years quite successfully. i just wanted to say it is slightly weird
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    Apple is shit :D and anime
  • kill living beings

-T + m2g sinθ = m2a

T - m1g = m1a

I know the values of m1, m2, θ, and obviously g, and I'm supposed to solve for T and a

you have two linear equations in two variables, you have to solve them simultaneously

you can use substitution, e.g. you can rewrite the second as T = m1g + m1a and then substitute that definition for T into the first equation to get an equation you can solve for a
  • wooo simultaneous equations those are fun
  • kill living beings

oh. well that's more like a cost cutting measure that you don't have the computer hardware able to tell there's a mouse on link 1 and act appropriately, instead it just assumes it's a mouse and link 2 is a keyboard.

with PS/2 they were color coded and the failure mode was just nothing happening, though, so i mean it never seemed like a big deal

-T + m2g sinθ = m2a

T - m1g = m1a

you have two linear equations in two variables, you have to solve them simultaneously

you can use substitution, e.g. you can rewrite the second as T = m1g + m1a and then substitute that definition for T into the first equation to get an equation you can solve for a
    bluh, that seems so obvious now

thanks
  • naney said:

naney said:

Always. u___u

Jesus. That sucks. A lot