The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• > life is a shitty joke
  • kill living beings
    be advised
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Please don't.
  • Just finished Spec Ops: The Line.

Holy shit.

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    So anyway, the oldest version of Debian that works well on the Compaq is woody (Debian 3.0). If I want to play with anything really super old (FreeBSD 2, Debian 1.1 or 2.x) I'm going to need actual 1990s hardware. That or I'll just have to deal with 640x480. :P
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    (And FreeBSD was notoriously unfriendly to non-ISA machines before, oh, version 4 or so, so getting that working would require scaring up an old ISA network card and a machine that can accept it. Joy.)
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Kexruct said:

Just finished Spec Ops: The Line.

Holy shit.

It's a pretty good game
  • I feel like playing it would murder my sanity, so I'm leaving it unredeemed even though I have a Steam key for it

I'll probably burn it off in a giveaway or a sale or something
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    >see Steam curator page callled "It's shit"
    >has Gone Home, Dear Esther, and a bunch of random AAA console ports

sasuga anon
  • ^^ Noted.

^ To be fair, I still haven't gotten through most of Dear Esther, despite having the game for two years now.

I get the conceit, but it makes you move so slowly
  • edited 2014-09-29 10:13:30
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I don't have a very high impression of Dear Esther. I mean, the things I've heard of it, I don't feel that it's worth playing.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Two new Phelous videos, a new Lazy Game Reviews, a new Ashens, and a new Linkara

It's like the entirety of internet video producers conspired against me getting any actual studying done today
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
  • re poetry: i also got shit all education on the mechanics of poetry aside from 'this is iambic pentameter and shakespeare used it', 'this is a rhyme scheme' and 'here is how you write a haiku'. particularly shit all on meter.

a lot of it was, i think, that the poetry i studied at school was primarily contemporary stuff in the Armitage/Carol Ann Duffy thread, so stuff that is mainly free verse, so you didnt really get anything about the mechanics of it and how it is anchored in traditions going back to formal verse, it was just 'hmm this poem uses dialect and this one contains a diff language and this one has AABB AACC DDEE structure' and not much else.
  • edited 2014-09-29 10:53:36
    Ps carol ann duffy sucks apart from that one poem she wrote about the shipping forecast
  • bad choice of poet laureate esp. after andrew motion who is fully sick
  • i think actually that being a drummer helped me most in getting my head around meter - being able to just count out beats p much without thinking about it helps, of course, also i think there are similarities between the kind of sensitivity required to fit rhythm and the subtleties of it into a piece of music and the kind of sensitivity required to integrate rhythm aand meaning of words in a poem. you know when you need to keep your rhythms smooth and when you want them to jar, to rub up against each other a bit. drumming and poetry are quite similar in this way

also groove. poems have groove as much as songs do. be alive to that
    I knew  a person who would freak out at poetry because it is all supposed to be sung instead of read, and only ultra-pretentious people write written poetry.

They  were a fuckhead
  • sunn wolf said:

bad choice of poet laureate esp. after andrew motion who is fully sick

motion sickness
  • Odradek said:

I knew  a person who would freak out at poetry because it is all supposed to be sung instead of read, and only ultra-pretentious people write written poetry.

They  were a fuckhead
    lmao
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Tre said:

Life is a shitty joke, and I am the punchline. :D

:(
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    moo
    (2015 self)
    I am sick of the whole, "it would be boring if everybody agreed" thing.

No.

It would be outstanding if everybody agreed.
    I disagree.
  • edited 2014-09-29 12:23:04
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)

I disagree.

That's an absolutely awful thing.
    I disagree.
  • edited 2014-09-29 12:35:55
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)

I disagree.

Gosh-darn it, Imipolex, I just want people to acquiesce to my every whim, is that so dang much to ask!

Seriously, disagreement leads to nothing but tension and bad feelings.  Trufax.

Clearly, out of all the people in the world, I am obviously the best and certainly the one who deserves universal-agreement-with-ness 

(man, that's a stupid way to say it).

NOTE:  The above is... weird.  You're on your own, kid.

Hey, get back here.

NOTE:  Heck no.

(take me with you!  Don't leave me)

NOTE:  SO long, parenthetical loser!

EDIT:  Siiiiigh.  This was just stupid.  I swear, it's like taking care of children.
  • edited 2014-09-29 12:25:08
    When people connected to the hotspot, the terms and conditions they were asked to sign up to included a “Herod clause” promising free Wi-Fi but only if “the recipient agreed to assign their first born child to us for the duration of eternity”. Six people signed up.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Name: Caroline O'Neill

Residence: Queen City, Centralia

Caroline is a young woman with lofty dreams but no ambition. She sits around her parents' house all day dreaming of what it "will be like" when she finally becomes a Broadway star, which we all know will never happens. Likes horses a little bit too much.
    (2015 self)
    Heapers, if it should ever strike you that I am getting a little overjudgemental in my posts, or giving less pains to a case than it deserves, kindly whisper, "tor.com" to me and I will be infinitely obliged to you.
    gor.com

does not exist, thankfully
    anyway I'm going to work

blah
    I find Pacific Rim hate cathartic, which is weird because I thought PR was fine.
    I'm not normally one for conspiracies, but what if Marcus Aurelius was just a huge dickhead, but since he was emperer he forbid anyone from saying anything bad about him, and just had someone ghost write Meditations to make him look good? And the reason he made his son emperor was because he was the only one he could trust to make sure no one wrote about what a shithead he was after he died...

This is funnier because the kid grows up to cosplay as Hercules and beat up ostriches
  • sunn wolf said:

When people connected to the hotspot, the terms and conditions they were asked to sign up to included a “Herod clause” promising free Wi-Fi but only if “the recipient agreed to assign their first born child to us for the duration of eternity”. Six people signed up.
    what if

1. you don't plan on having children?
    2. you simply refuse when the time comes?

Tre said:

I feel like playing [Spec Ops: The Line] would murder my sanity, so I'm leaving it unredeemed even though I have a Steam key for it

I'll probably burn it off in a giveaway or a sale or something
    I keep on hearing that it's basically like a deconstruction of the military FPS or something

not sure if i should play it since i actually haven't played other military FPSes
    It works better if you've played one or two, yeah
  • sunn wolf said:

what if

1. you don't plan on having children?
    2. you simply refuse when the time comes?
    apparently there is some law against using your children as payment so it wouldnt have stood up in a british court, but still
  • kill living beings
    beard dude, that is some bullshit

kid's annoying though that's true
  • edited 2014-09-29 15:15:29
    ^^ that sounds conceptually similar to equipping an item that gives elemental immunity and then using an all-hitting attack of that element
  • edited 2014-09-29 15:16:34
    yes i just compared two things that have jack-all to do with each other, solely because they follow conceptually similar patterns

this is the best type of comparison for pattern recognition because they are so different that the only similarities there are are highlighted

or something
  • Aliroz said:

Heapers, if it should ever strike you that I am getting a little overjudgemental in my posts, or giving less pains to a case than it deserves, kindly whisper, "tor.com" to me and I will be infinitely obliged to you.

Sherlock quote recognized

• the dig with your ears to china contest
  • resulted in the discovery and contamination of several new aquifers
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    As someone who does not plan on having any children, I would happily trade that hypothetical firstborn for eternal free high-speed wifi. 
  • also keep in mind that it's only first-born

you can still keep all your adopted children
    Right Lane - People With Creepy Sexual Proclivities Only

Next 3 Miles
  • glenn "Faust" magusharvey

so a couple weeks ago i had listened to the faust symphony, but not read faust nor seen madomagi

now, i have listened to the faust symphony, seen madomagi, but not read faust