The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• kill living beings

You know what? If you're insulting people based on the majors they took in school, you have nothing you can tell me. 

that sounds juuuust like something someone who MAJORED IN GAY ANIME would say.
    with a minor in entry level hipster garbage
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.

Yes. :)
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Okay, FlashBlock isn't blocking YouTube videos anymore

Did they switch to HTML5 by default?
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
  • kill living beings
    Anonus said:

Okay, FlashBlock isn't blocking YouTube videos anymore

Did they switch to HTML5 by default?
    i think youtube might have yeah. pkill -f flash doesn't work any more, at least
  • Y'know, it's probably worth noting that Game of Thrones has more female characters with more diverse personalities and motivations than basically anything else on television right now, and is generally pretty good at highlighting how unjust and screwed up gender expectations in its world are.

That does not make its problems and questionable aspects disappear - in fact, I think that expecting better is important here - but it is worth mentioning its successes when discussing its failures.
    it's also run by people who thought that a great way to react to complaints about there not being any nonwhite characters in the show was to pay Big Boi copious amounts of money to release a gimmicky mixtape
  • what I know of GoT scares me away

I do kinda like pointing and laughing at Joffrey tho
  • My dreams exceed my real life

Y'know, it's probably worth noting that Game of Thrones has more female characters with more diverse personalities and motivations than basically anything else on television right now, and is generally pretty good at highlighting how unjust and screwed up gender expectations in its world are.

That does not make its problems and questionable aspects disappear - in fact, I think that expecting better is important here - but it is worth mentioning its successes when discussing its failures.
    it's also run by people who thought that a great way to react to complaints about there not being any nonwhite characters in the show was to pay Big Boi copious amounts of money to release a gimmicky mixtape
    They could probably cast non-white actors as the non-Westerosi people or the Dornish.

Reminder that there is a minor GoT character named DARKSTAR
    Darkstar sighed as he drew his katana
  • Odradek said:

Y'know, it's probably worth noting that Game of Thrones has more female characters with more diverse personalities and motivations than basically anything else on television right now, and is generally pretty good at highlighting how unjust and screwed up gender expectations in its world are.

They could probably cast non-white actors as the non-Westerosi people or the Dornish.

Yeah, but are they likely to do so?

I don't really know the first thing about Game of Thrones, but that decision is one of the few things I do know about it and it fucking floors me that somebody thought this was a good idea.

actually the most wince-worthy album cover
  • Odradek said:

Reminder that there is a minor MAJOR GoT WARRIOR CATS FANFIC character named DARKSTAR

• you know, people (columnists in magazines and shit to be specific) keep saying that this is like a great era of television

and i have to wonder how much these people are getting paid to say it
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Imi returns

you know, people (columnists in magazines and shit to be specific) keep saying that this is like a great era of television

But Naneh

You can watch Matthew McConaughey quote antinatalist talking points now.

In the past you could not do this
  • you know, people (columnists in magazines and shit to be specific) keep saying that this is like a great era of television

I would not be shocked if most of these (generally white middle-class and middle-aged male) journalists actually did legitimately enjoy the shows they are writing about, but one has to understand that that's just the industry feeding back into itself, even if there is no actual bribery involved.
  • edited 2014-04-21 21:24:38

also i really want to know why i cant go anywhere on internet without hearing about game of thrones
  • it's becoming really annoying
    is game of thrones that thing about constant murder and rape

also i really want to know why i cant go anywhere in the fucking internet without hearing about game of thrones

I can talk about the Prince of Nothing if you want.
  • edited 2014-04-21 21:27:00
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

No non-white characters? Did they literally skip every scene with Dany and her cohort wandering around Essos...? There are, like, three non-POC characters in those scenes, period.

Now, a dearth of major, name-in-the-credits non-white characters I can see. That is more than a bit irksome, particularly given that the world itself is far from uniformly white and beardy. But that there is a total lack thereof is a pretty absurd claim.
  • Odradek said:

you know, people (columnists in magazines and shit to be specific) keep saying that this is like a great era of television

But Naneh

just fyi im going to become an antinatalist just to annoy you

gonna do it

for srs
    At least it isn't Homestuck. :D or ponies. or Touhou.

is game of thrones that thing about constant murder and rape

Yes. :p
    that explains its popularity

?????????????
  • is game of thrones that thing about constant murder and rape

as i understand it it's about weddings

kinda like Bridezillas or something

also it's about spoilers
  • Honestly that seems like the kind of thing you'd laugh at if someone else said it.

Odradek said:

But Naneh

gonna do it

for srs
    Can you become an efilist?

They are funnier
  • Y'know, it's probably worth noting that Game of Thrones has more female characters with more diverse personalities and motivations than basically anything else on television right now, and is generally pretty good at highlighting how unjust and screwed up gender expectations in its world are.

No non-white characters? Did they literally skip every scene with Dany and her cohort wandering around Essos...?

Now, a dearth of major, name-in-the-credits non-white characters I can see. That is more than a bit irksome, particularly given that the world itself is far from uniformly white and beardy. But that there is a total lack thereof is a pretty absurd claim.
    I am making it very clear that I am relating these complaints secondhand.

But it is still abundantly clear that someone who is on HBO's payroll said "we're not pulling enough of the black, latino, and asian demographics. Let's sponsor a rap mixtape." And that is fucking insane to me, and says a lot about what HBO's board of directors think about minorities.
  • Kexruct said:

Honestly that seems like the kind of thing you'd laugh at if someone else said it.

this is because i am exactly the most contemptible sort of person
  • what exactly is HBO anyways
  • also i really want to know why i cant go anywhere on internet without hearing about game of thrones

because it's popular and popular things generate discussion.
  • Odradek said:

Odradek said:

But Naneh

gonna do it

for srs

They are funnier
    (*googles*)

nah that seems kinda boring
  • Perhaps that was a bit mean. I apologize.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

Odradek said:

But Naneh

gonna do it

for srs
    On a related note: I really want to watch that show. What little I've seen of it is awesome. And yes, watching a former Grey's Anatomy cast member walk around looking like a junkie quoting Ligotti and Cioran in a Louisiana drawl is sublime.

Odradek said:

But Naneh

gonna do it

for srs
    On a related note: I really want to watch that show. What little I've seen of it is awesome. And yes, watching a former Grey's Anatomy cast member walk around looking like a junkie quoting Ligotti and Cioran in a Louisiana drawl is sublime.
    It is apparently very well shot. Also mega-pulpy.

Odradek said:

Odradek said:

But Naneh

gonna do it

for srs

They are funnier
    (*googles*)

All you do is hate and talk about world destroying all day erryday like you are a JRPG comic villain.
  • I've said it before, but I have very near zero tolerance for live action television. 99% of actors look ridiculous, imo.
  • Odradek said:

Odradek said:

Odradek said:

But Naneh

gonna do it

for srs

They are funnier
    (*googles*)

All you do is hate and talk about world destroying all day erryday like you are a JRPG comic villain.
    but i already do this?
    did you guys hear Masaaki Yuasa is gonna direct an Adventure Time episode?
  • Odradek said:

ja
  • I don't recognize the name, what would I know Masaaki Yuasa for?

No non-white characters? Did they literally skip every scene with Dany and her cohort wandering around Essos...?

But it is still abundantly clear that someone who is on HBO's payroll said "we're not pulling enough of the black, latino, and asian demographics. Let's sponsor a rap mixtape." And that is fucking insane to me, and says a lot about what HBO's board of directors think about minorities.
    Yeah, I'm kind of baffled as to whose idea that was. Setting aside the possibility that someone on the staff was a huge Outkast fan and just wanted an excuse to hire Big Boi for something... I've read interviews with the head writers, and neither of them seem even close to that clueless?

However, I still find some of the more dramatic assertions of misogyny and racism a little overblown, to say the least. All I can think is, "Are we watching the same show...?"
    Naney, you and I both know that 90% of your day is spent happily rolling around under sunbeams.

The remaining ten percent is split between eating and chasing laser pointers.

Odradek said:

ja
    WHAT?!

YES!!!

I don't recognize the name, what would I know Masaaki Yuasa for?

The Mind Games/Tatami Galaxy/Kaiba guy
  • I don't recognize the name, what would I know Masaaki Yuasa for?

Cat Soup, The Tatami Galaxy, a bunch of other stuff my boyfrond loves the stuffin out of
  • No non-white characters? Did they literally skip every scene with Dany and her cohort wandering around Essos...?

Yeah, I'm kind of baffled as to whose idea that was. Setting aside the possibility that someone on the staff was a huge Outkast fan and just wanted an excuse to hire Big Boi for something... I've read interviews with the head writers, and neither of them seem even close to that clueless?

However, I still find some of the more dramatic assertions of misogyny and racism a little overblown, to say the least. All I can think is, "Are we watching the same show...?"
    It's not too difficult for me to believe that a show set in what is essentially medieval Europe + dragons would host a good deal of misogyny and racism, the question is whether the show goes to any length to condemn said misogyny and racism, or whether it is simply left there to swelter and stink up the whole affair like a particularly unpleasant piece of roadkill.