The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• edited 2013-10-11 02:43:57

Ludmila said:

I don't even understand what a chav is.

apparently it's some kind of classist slur?

basically as i understand it it's basically the british version of calling someone white trash

because fuck working white people amirite
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i've said it before but 'chav' is really more of an insult than an actual subculture

not to say there aren't a lot of stupid people over here of course
  • I don't think I've ever heard the term "white trash" except as applied by people to themselves jokingly. So idk.
  • edited 2013-10-11 02:47:01

and given the fact that i've seen it used by p much every british person i've ever met without so much as a second thought on their part has not given me a very high opinion of the place tbh

^ ^ yay you are like the first britishy person i've met to say this i'm so happy

Ludmila said:

I don't even understand what a chav is.

apparently it's some kind of classist slur?

basically as i understand it it's basically the british version of calling someone white trash

because fuck working white people amirite
    basically, yeah

the only big difference is there aren't the racial connotations to the same extent
  • the article seems kinda dodgy tbh, dude is too infatuated w/ the US
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    British Invasion
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    ROAD CLOSED DUE TO PINKIE PIE

on tumblr when people who are trying to explain to britaboo sherlock fanatic types that england isn't all it's cracked up to be they always say something along the lines of "we have chavs over here they are the worst people ever and also it rains"
    might be worth noting that the Telegraph is somewhat right-leaning, tho usually more moderate than the Times and much more intelligent than the Mail or the Sun
  • pretty much every country is shit in some way or another

(*throws stones till all the glass is broken*)
    the British class system is... weird

a lot of people think it doesn't matter and it probably shouldn't, but the debate seems to come up in all the most unlikely places
  • I've never really heard much negative about Canada but there's probably something.

well, poutine exists, but that doesn't count.
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    Poutine looks amazing.
  • IIRC canadians troops invented the concentration camp in one of the boer wars?

Also apparently there are some rather vocally racist canadians fwiw
  • it has gravy on it and is therefore a poison most vile.
  • Poutine looks amazing.

poutine is proof that god is good
  • god I am so sick of controversies over fanart.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

the article seems kinda dodgy tbh, dude is too infatuated w/ the US

Yeah. The British class system may be stupid and destructive, but at least it's honest about how it screws people over. The way that class and wealth distribution breaks down in the US is just...

Love, let's move to Scotland. Or the least racist part of France.
  • Ludmila said:

it has gravy on it and is therefore a poison most vile.

u wot m8
    Canada has much cold weather, I am given to understand

that's a bad thing

IIRC canadians troops invented the concentration camp in one of the boer wars?

it may have been Canadian troops, not sure, but it was a British policy and carried out in the name of Britain
  • Melusina said:

Canada has much cold weather, I am given to understand

that's a bad thing

not in

VANCOUVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

VANCOUVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

VANCOUVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
    Ludmila said:

gravy is delish
  • the article seems kinda dodgy tbh, dude is too infatuated w/ the US

Yeah. The British class system may be stupid and destructive, but at least it's honest about how it screws people over. The way that class and wealth distribution breaks down in the US is just...

we, or rather you, should move to st. paul

it is the best place in the universe

we have cool music and also we are all hipsters

each and every one of us
  • Ludmila said:

u wot m8
    I see

they got you too.

but they'll never get me!

*throws smoke grenade. disappears*

IIRC canadians troops invented the concentration camp in one of the boer wars?

Also: Mad cow disease; Alberta politicians; Nickleback and Justin Bieber; old Québecois men in tiny Speedos; the Keystone XL pipeline; the Mountie corruption scandal; and teen soap operas.
  • The sadness will last forever.
    chavs and neds
  • The sadness will last forever.
    Scotland is cool.
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh

I forgot Nickelback is from Canada

*nukes Canada*
    Bieber makes me sad

he was a cute kid

where did things go so wrong
    But Rush is also from Canada

*un-nukes Canada*
    see also: Miley Cyrus
  • nickelback and justin bieber are ignorable

plus canada gave us shit-tons of great death metal
  • IIRC canadians troops invented the concentration camp in one of the boer wars?

Also: Mad cow disease; Alberta politicians; Nickleback and Justin Bieber; old Québecois men in tiny Speedos; the Keystone XL pipeline; the Mountie corruption scandal; and teen soap operas.
    what's going on in Alberta?

also most of that other stuff is not really on the same level as the deep-seated things we're discussing re; America and the UK.

the article seems kinda dodgy tbh, dude is too infatuated w/ the US

we, or rather you, should move to st. paul

it is the best place in the universe

we have cool music and also we are all hipsters

each and every one of us
    But St. Paul isn't in Europe, and Europe is cool and they have, like, real healthcare over there. Also Minnesota is where Michele Bachmann is, and she is the most horrible thing.
  • see also: Miley Cyrus

well if you believe Pharell it's all part of some publicity act designed to subvert blah blah blah girl thinks she's Kanye West basically.
    Scotland is great but the anti-English sentiments there can get a bit wearisome

not that i really blame them
    Ludmila said:

Alberta is like the Deep South, but cold.
  • really i'm getting sick of "subversive pop music" just make things that are not annoying as shit to listen to because there is nothing subversive or gamechanging about "wrecking ball" and Bangerz is certainly no Yeezus.
  • Ludmila said:

Alberta is like the Deep South, but cold.
    oh.
    miley cyrus looks like a chipmunk
    really tho Wales has at least as much reason to be anti-English and they're much more chill about it

they do have a funny habit of switching to Welsh when they don't want to be understood, which i guess is a perk of being bilingual
    Ludmila said:

really i'm getting sick of "subversive pop music" just make things that are not annoying as shit to listen to because there is nothing subversive or gamechanging about "wrecking ball" and Bangerz is certainly no Yeezus.

yesquote
  • I'm mostly sick of hearing about Miley Cyrus because my professor in Intro to Media has used her as an example for literally everything since the twerking whatever.

apparently everyone in our class hangs out on TMZ all day and none of us do anything productive with our lives.

i swear dude is not a priest but you'd not know that from how he talks to us.
  • she is over in the gerrymandered-to-heck 6th district and nobody likes her

we make crop-art mocking her and the rest of the republican party and show it at the fair every year

though the republicans do hand out free balloons, so you'd be a fool not to take 'em

also we have rocky and bullwinkle, who are >>>>>>> asterix

Scotland is great but the anti-English sentiments there can get a bit wearisome

not that i really blame them

I think that the best short-term answer to that problem is: "I'm here to get away from there." Or, in fewer words: "Fuck David Cameron."

Is Wales all right?
    Wales is the best