The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    re FiM itself: This sounds a lot like what happened to Animaniacs after 1994. There was an A! feature film planned, which took a lot of the writers' time, and then the show moved to The WB and they tried to pitch one of the most adult kids' shows ever made to 2-11s. A lot of writers left after that. 

re MLP icons: I have a Homsar avatar. H*R is from 2002. Ask your parents.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis

EVERYPONY!

EVERYPONY!

EVERYPONY!

EVERYPONY!
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Agreed, Sredni. And happy birthday Central.

So I just watched episode one of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

My parents would have no idea what H*R is.

Actully, I'm doubtful many heaper's have parents that know more about H*R than the heapers themselves, next generation, though...
  • The sadness will last forever.
    trolltime :D
    homestarrunner yay
  • Justice42 said:

That is the most internet thing I've ever seen.

Crystal said:

Agreed, Sredni. And happy birthday Central.

So I just watched episode one of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.
    Oh? First time watching the series ever?
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Holy shit. 

That is awesome. :D
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I forgot to say this straight out earlier, but a very happy birthday to Central Avenue!
  • edited 2013-08-10 19:08:39
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I picked it up way back, but stopped halfway and forgot about it. Basically my first time, yes. I also just remembered that it's a two-parter, which I don't mind, so I'll watch that too.

Crystal said:

I picked it up way back, but stopped halfway and forgot about it. Basically my first time, yes. I also just remembered that it's a two-parter, which I don't mind, so I'll watch that too.

You should start a thread with your thoughts on the series, a la a very recent Homestuck thread. I'd love to see someone's comments on the series coming into it for the first time.
  • I still find Ponies as dull as ever, and what I've seen of the fandom has never inspired in me much confidence.

It is the second most baffling fandom after Homestuck.
  • there are four boxes of peach mango kool-aid pouches in the fridge.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Thanks for the birthday greetings, Crystal, Sredni, and anypony else I might have missed
  • edited 2013-08-10 19:17:40
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    You should start a thread with your thoughts on the series, a la a very recent Homestuck thread. I'd love to see someone's comments on the series coming into it for the first time.

You know, I guess I might, since at least one person here is interested. I'll create the thread when I can, but expect it sometime soon.

Yup. And I hope you have a good time too, Central!
    Mojave Music said:It is the second most baffling fandom after Homestuck.

In what sense is the
    Homestuck fandom baffling?
  • edited 2013-08-10 19:18:13
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

^^Sweet! I look forward to it.
  • I still find Ponies as dull as ever, and what I've seen of the fandom has never inspired in me much confidence.

Homestuck's fandom is a lot of things, but I don't know how it's baffling.

It kind of bothers me that when it comes to Homestuck, nobody is capable of simply not finding it to their tastes. They have to make a huge deal of it.
    Neat.

To be fair, Kexruct, it has a huge fandom, and is pretty popular online, it will get some backlash. And I don't think Mojave was really making a big deal out of it.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Mojave Music said:I still find Ponies as dull as ever, and what I've seen of the fandom has never inspired in me much confidence.

what about the
    Homestuck fandom baffles you
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Ooh, I look forward to your thread, Crystal! ^_^
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I have watched three (3) episodes of MLP:FiM

also, happy birthday Central Ave
  • In what sense is the Homestuck fandom baffling?

there is really nothing about it that says "yeah this'll be a huge hit with the 16-22 demographic"
    Thanks

Series I've started this year but never bothered to finish or catch up on:
    • Puella Magi Madoka Magica
    • Bravest Warriors
    • Adventure Time
    • Watamote
    I need to finish at least two of those by the time the summer is out

This is a nice album.
    hummusbuck
    pony times
  • edited 2013-08-10 19:35:42
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

In what sense is the Homestuck fandom baffling?

there is really nothing about it that says "yeah this'll be a huge hit with the 16-22 demographic"

Well, that's true of a lot of popular things. But it makes more sense when you actually start reading it: It is very funny, it moves at a fast clip, and a lot of the more difficult-to-process concepts are introduced gradually rather than all at once. Plus, what would normally come off as gimmicks are used to further the story rather than distract from it.
  • In what sense is the Homestuck fandom baffling?

Maybe not in Act 1, but the majority of it is almost designed to be as appealing to teenaged nerds as possible.

• Happy Birthday Central.

"it moves at a fast clip"

which is why most of acts 1 and 2 seemed to me to be "useless crap happens, useless crap happens some more, why am I reading this again"
  • Well, that's true of a lot of popular things. But it makes more sense when you actually start reading it: It is very funny, it moves at a fast clip, and a lot of the more difficult-to-process concepts are introduced gradually rather than all at once. Plus, what would normally come off as gimmicks are used to further the story rather than distract from it.

I tried reading it some time ago and did not enjoy the experience.

Maybe not in Act 1, but the majority of it is almost designed to be as appealing to teenaged nerds as possible.

That is probably a primary reason I don't like it and why I'd think less people would.

Thanks

Series I've started this year but never bothered to finish or catch up on:
    • Puella Magi Madoka Magica
    • Bravest Warriors
    • Adventure Time
    • Watamote
    I need to finish at least two of those by the time the summer is out

Bravest Warriors
    and Puella Magi Madoka Magica would not be a huge timesink even if you started both from the beginning. 
    I'll admit, my main motivator behind watching Madoka was less a genuine interest in the series and more a desire to stop feeling out of the loop

Somehow I accidentally managed to flip this around and get Anonus to watch the whole thing, so now I'm even further out of the loop than before, which makes me laugh
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    meduka become meguca
    Mojave Music said:Well, that's true of a lot of popular things. But it makes more sense when you actually start reading it: It is very funny, it moves at a fast clip, and a lot of the more difficult-to-process concepts are introduced gradually rather than all at once. Plus, what would normally come off as gimmicks are used to further the story rather than distract from it.

It's definitely an acquired taste early on, much like
    Problem Sleuth is, but I liked it right off the bat. It does get more engaging as it goes on, although the last stretch has been somewhat weaker than the middle, which was pretty sublime.
  • Well, that's true of a lot of popular things. But it makes more sense when you actually start reading it: It is very funny, it moves at a fast clip, and a lot of the more difficult-to-process concepts are introduced gradually rather than all at once. Plus, what would normally come off as gimmicks are used to further the story rather than distract from it.

That is probably a primary reason I don't like it and why I'd think less people would.

Not in a pandering way though. It's genuine and it genuinely works.
    I disliked Problem Sleuth.
    ^^ Yeah, pandering is one thing that I would not accuse Andrew Hussie of. He prefers messing with people to appeasing them.

^ I like it quite a bit, but I can easily see disliking it.
  • I also tried reading it from the middle at one point and didn't care for it then either.
  • I also tried reading it from the middle at one point and didn't care for it then either.

That would never work.

I also tried reading it from the middle at one point and didn't care for it then either.

...it makes very little sense if you skip parts.

Someone actually specifically recommended I do that, it wasn't my idea. 

I don't remember who offhand, this was when I was a TVTropes regular and the comic wasn't nearly as long then as now.
  • So my mother rented Grown Ups.

I just can't get over how bad this movie is; the fact that the setup is actually pretty good makes it all the more frustrating.

I also tried reading it from the middle at one point and didn't care for it then either.

Someone actually specifically recommended I do that, it wasn't my idea. 

I don't remember who offhand, this was when I was a TVTropes regular and the comic wasn't nearly as long then as now.
    It's still not the best idea, honestly. The comic isn't exactly as dense as some people like to act, but it establishes things early on that are important later; it just reads like a massive in-joke without the proper context.
    finally beat Ganon

took 16 hours, 40 minutes, 94 deaths
  • finally beat Ganon

took 16 hours, 40 minutes, 94 deaths

Which game?
    A fan-made remake of the original, with better graphics, more complexity and higher difficulty.

Got it from here