General Video Game Thread

Comments

• Tachyon said:

i dunno, i mean i haven't played it, but if the acting is bad and the story is bad that seems like reason enough to dislike something imo

you don't have to agree

i'm not going to debate this because like i said i haven't played it, just saying, y'know, Myr is not the type of person who dismisses stuff because it's experimental

I didn't think he was, I just thought that his reaction was incongruous with his set of artistic values.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    *shrug*
  • edited 2015-12-21 19:37:34
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    Kexruct said:

Jesus Christ how did people like Her Story.

It's a bad actress disjointedly relating an unusually terrible lifetime movie to you.
    Also: No fucking police investigation would spend time asking a suspect to play the guitar, or talk about books she owned as a child.

Or maybe this is just how the cops treat white people.
    Because it's different, dude. Experiments in new styles almost always start out awkward.
    People "experimented" in this field 20 years ago, and none of the results indicated anything good.

I don't get why we're revisiting one of the more embarrassing failures of video game history now.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Harvester was a better game than Her Story
  • Experimental games still need to be done intelligently, FWIW.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    This is a cool read. Thanks Fossilmaiden for linking it.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Rise of the Tomb Raider's death scenes are much less erotic.
  • Yeah it is.  Game cloning is the fucking worst, and there's a special place in hell for people who steal shit from indie devs.
  • TreTre
    edited 2015-12-22 06:53:59
    Bee said:

Yeah it is.  Game cloning is the fucking worst, and there's a special place in hell for people who steal shit from indie devs.

pmuch

I casually brought up my reasoning for disliking Ketchapp (the developers of 2048 and various other popular iOS games) because they ripped off Threes! to my fam once and my dad wrote it off as "just how the business is" and I couldn't help but be incredulous about such a response afterward

I've been fiercely supportive of Threes! as a result of the trouble it went through during development, and while I haven't prioritized Ridiculous Fishing I do plan on supporting Vlambeer down the road by getting Nuclear Throne
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Threes is way better than 2048.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Tre said:

Bee said:

Yeah it is.  Game cloning is the fucking worst, and there's a special place in hell for people who steal shit from indie devs.

pmuch

I casually brought up my reasoning for disliking Ketchapp (the developers of 2048 and various other popular iOS games) because they ripped off Threes! to my fam once and my dad wrote it off as "just how the business is" and I couldn't help but be incredulous about such a response afterward

I've been fiercely supportive of Threes! as a result of the trouble it went through during development, and while I haven't prioritized Ridiculous Fishing I do plan on supporting Vlambeer down the road by getting Nuclear Throne
    I feel that part of this is due to people not really understanding the term "clone" as it's used in a modern context. There's a lot of people who, when the Radical/Ridiculous/Ninja Fishing story first broke, were all too willing to start shouting "well, you can't copyright ideas!", ignoring the core of the issue as it stood. It isn't really helped that it's different to the usage of it in a historical manner i.e. "Doom clone" or "Tomb Raider clone".

It's not helped that you still see the latter usage used today without considering what it really entails (See "Okami is a Zelda clone!" or "Tomb Raider is an Uncharted clone!".) It's the line between inspiration and flat out copying.
  • edited 2015-12-22 21:27:05
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I feel like Rag Man is the new Haunt, and The Frail or The Stain are the new Bloat. You could say The Cage is, but I think it's more predictable (even if utterly tanky), while The Stain's bullet patterns are still taking me a bit of getting used to and have forced me to focus 100% on dodging at times.

Also screw Rag Man. Little Horn is alright, if a bit tankier than I'd like.

"But Crystal there are new Haunts, two of them!" you might say, to which I say: Hush pedant, one of them is a pushover anyway.
  • Frail and Stain are always difficult for me but Rag Man is worse than either of them simply because of how early he can appear compared to how powerful he is
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    The Stain isn't too bad for me. The bullet patterns are easiest if you think of them as rotating - just move with the rotation rather than trying to maintain position for the faster part. 

The Stain isn't too bad for me. The bullet patterns are easiest if you think of them as rotating - just move with the rotation rather than trying to maintain position for the faster part. 

Admittedly, most of my experience comes from Double Stain in Greed mode, and I still always get hit at least once by something. Maybe I'll revise my thoughts after I've played more of the regular game.

Frail and Stain are always difficult for me but Rag Man is worse than either of them simply because of how early he can appear compared to how powerful he is

Basically my stance too. If nothing else, The Frail is super fun and interesting, even while it's still a toughie for me. I think a new favorite boss, especially given how laughable Pin is. Just a rad boss overall.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    MachSpeed said:

Threes is way better than 2048.

completely agreed, though I can't be too harsh on the 2048 dev himself because it was just a programming practice thing.  But the fact that 2048 is more popular than Threes! still makes me sad.
  • hhhhhhhhhh dark souls 3 doesn't come out on pc for another 4 months

i'm gonna die
  • then rise anew, the memories of agonising death fresh in your consciousness, unsure of how to proceed
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    I'm in this weird rut where I wanna play Etrian Odyssey, but I dunno what to do with it anymore. Damn European waiting times for new Atlus games.

...Man, I never thought I'd end up in the situation of "Well, I'm one of the best players in the world, what do I do now?".
  • edited 2015-12-23 02:28:16
    i don't think i'm going to run out of gaming to do for the next five to ten years

my backlog is too big
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-12-23 03:03:59
    Picked up Gurumin and Prelogate.

Prelogate is fun, but hard as hell.  At least the achievements are.  I expect the last two chapters are going to drop right into "how the fuck do I do this at all" territory.
    I want to like Mickey Mouse's Castle of Illusion, but Mickey moves SO SLOW.

I can see why Sega ended up with the Gotta Go Fast mascot they did
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-12-23 22:15:58
    The last chapter of Prelogate is appropriately ridiculous.  I'm having to write up Karnaugh maps to figure out what kind of logic they want out of me.

Like Spacechem, it gives you statistics of how other players did.  Some of the crazier levels are apparently possible with less than 10 devices.
    I get so frustrated when missions expire in Trails in the Sky.
  • Yeah that's why I do them as soon as they come up, even if it's a bit difficult.

Of course I hear there are a couple missions in Second Chapter that actually penalize you for that...

Also, Prelogate done.  Good lord, that last level was nasty.
  • Okay I'll be honest

I don't get the appeal of Cave Story
  • I'm sort of in the same boat, though it's mostly because I found the learning curve to be too punishingly steep for its own good.

The game has charm, but it was hard for me to want to go on after the Curly fight, IIRC.
    i attempted a minimal kill run on my first go

couldn't make it past the sand zone, had to abandon the run (i.e. murder everything)
    Tre said:

I'm sort of in the same boat, though it's mostly because I found the learning curve to be too punishingly steep for its own good.

The game has charm, but it was hard for me to want to go on after the Curly fight, IIRC.

This is weird for me to read because I just didn't have that experience. Punishingly steep how? I figure the whole weakening aspect of your weapons is what you mean, but even that I found recoverable with practice.
    Kexruct said:

Okay I'll be honest

Platformer with snazzy music, fun bosses, and a pleasing art style, personally.
  • Crystal said:

Kexruct said:

Okay I'll be honest

Platformer with snazzy music, fun bosses, and a pleasing art style, personally.
    For me it's a platformer that gradually reveals its mysteries and ends up presenting an unexpectedly emotional story in the process.  The music is also quite evocative in a number of places.
  • i bought Contraption Maker

i'm a real gamer now mother fuckers
  • i bought Contraption Maker

i'm a real gamer now mother fuckers
    that seems like a game that would be more fun with friends
  • i got it because it was a dollar and a massive nostalgia trip
  • i have and used to play the even more incredible machine so i know its style
    props to 999, or its translators, for using the phrase 'you got another think coming' correctly
  • Props to 999's translators having a character say "Any of you chumps speak Japanese?" to a crowd including a person named Junpei and a person named Akane.

Especially when the other people's names include Gentarou, Kashiwabara, andYotsuba.
  • And where the person speaking over the intercom simply had to have been speaking Japanese in order for a major plot twist to work.
    I'd just like to take a moment to appreciate how friggin' fun this was back in the day, and how chill it made me.
  • TreTre
    edited 2015-12-27 01:27:03
    Crystal said:

Tre said:

I'm sort of in the same boat, though it's mostly because I found the learning curve to be too punishingly steep for its own good.

This is weird for me to read because I just didn't have that experience. Punishingly steep how? I figure the whole weakening aspect of your weapons is what you mean, but even that I found recoverable with practice.
    tbh I may just need to play it again to judge it properly, it has been a long time.

Also I think I initially played an unofficial port of the game for the PSP so that may have been a factor in how I ended up remembering it.
    I'm only familiar with the original freeware game, where I found the platforming pleasant with M+K, for what it's worth, so I get that.

Mmm, maybe I should buy Cave Story+ for myself in the future.
  • I think the original freeware Cave Story uses only keyboard.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    yes, and that is why I couldn't keep playing it.
  • yes, and that is why I couldn't keep playing it.

wait what?
  • I've never understood the insatiable need to play digital-input games on analog controllers.
    I can't play a platformer using a keyboard.

just can't.

can't.

just

• The only way that pun works is if I read all your posts in an excessively British voice.

Done.
    do what you must.