General Video Game Thread

Comments

• We can do anything if we do it together.
    I'm grateful that Cave Story+ has controller support.

I do recommend giving that a shot when you get some time.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    perhaps I shall.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    imageimageimage
    good job Lizardfuck
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

good job Lizardfuck

Thanks! Finally getting back into the swing of things. Looking at that image, and I can remember that Hard run; it was godawful and I do not even know how I made it that far. Think I died right at the start of The Last Stand? Kind of funny really.
  • ♪ On the good ship Lizardfuck ♫
  • Splatoon: after a couple of ranked matches where my team lost by inches, I went back to turf wars. Was having a good time leading all the christmas newbies to victory, until I got two disconnections in the last thirty seconds of each match.

Ah, well.
  • I can't play a platformer using a keyboard.

By this do you mean you prefer using gamepad or you prefer using mouse?
    Sure.

I can't play a platformer using a keyboard.

By this do you mean you prefer using gamepad or you prefer using mouse?
    Mouse would be even worse than a keyboard.

Gamepad all the way.
  • So

I'm considering streaming me doing fighting games poorly

is anyone interested, perchance
    I'd be interested in watching that.
    Dying to Hush is so frustrating. I am absolutely only going there on my Guppy runs, now.
  • edited 2015-12-27 22:49:58
    My dreams exceed my real life
    I don't want to sound like one of those gaming grognards who rants about games being better before they held your hand, but it's kind of astounding how unhelpful and user-unfriendly the Souls games are allowed to be.

Like, in Dark Souls 1 there's an early area called The Depths. In them, there are enemies called Basilisks who attack by shooting clouds of gas at you that can petrify you if you stay in them too long. If you get petrified, you instantly die, and gain a status effect called Curse that cuts your health bar in half.

In order to get your full health bar BACK, you either need to go on an epic quest into a ghost-haunted underground flooded city to talk to a guy who can cure it, go back to the beginning of the game via a a hidden path to trade with a talking crow and get a magic stone that can cure Curse, OR fight your way past hordes of undead in the Undead Chapel to buy it from a church confessor for an absurd price.

All because you didn't get out of a gas cloud quick enough. 
    yeah but REAL GAMERS just suck it up and memorize the ultra combos!
  • edited 2015-12-28 00:36:56
    My dreams exceed my real life
    Dark Souls doesn't have ultra-combos.

It does have a shoryuken though.
  • I believe the "absurd price" is 8000 souls? At least if it's consistent with the undead merchant at the termination of the sewer path, which you should have access to if you're in the Depths (there's a shortcut back to Firelink Shrine roughly opposite the Depths door from lower Undead Burg). It might sound like a lot now, but consider these three points:
    1. It becomes chump change relatively quickly. 
    2. Curse used to stack.
    3. Even with full HP, the best course of action is not to get struck. Get a solid shield with 100% physical damage reduction, and make sure your equipment load is under 50% of your character's maximum. You can now block most things, especially with a full stamina bar, and you have a reasonable evasion. 
    I know "don't get hit" sounds like a insufficient response, but there's a lot of ways to do that in Dark Souls. My personal favourite is to strike before an opponent does, preferably with a long, heavy weapon. Greatsword-class weapons like the Bastard Sword or Claymore are excellent options if you want to retain some speed, but you can hit up the Zweihander in Firelink Shrine if you want to go all in. Wield them in both hands to maximise your interruption value (or poise damage, as the game would put it), and most enemies won't be able to act through your attacks -- and you'll often be striking from outside their attack range. 
  • I don't want to sound like one of those gaming grognards who rants about games being better before they held your hand, but it's kind of astounding how unhelpful and user-unfriendly the Souls games are allowed to be.

Like, in Dark Souls 1 there's an early area called The Depths. In them, there are enemies called Basilisks who attack by shooting clouds of gas at you that can petrify you if you stay in them too long. If you get petrified, you instantly die, and gain a status effect called Curse that cuts your health bar in half.

In order to get your full health bar BACK, you either need to go on an epic quest into a ghost-haunted underground flooded city to talk to a guy who can cure it, go back to the beginning of the game via a a hidden path to trade with a talking crow and get a magic stone that can cure Curse, OR fight your way past hordes of undead in the Undead Chapel to buy it from a church confessor for an absurd price.

All because you didn't get out of a gas cloud quick enough. 
    this kind of weird tedium is part of the reason that Dark Souls 2 is better.
  • My dreams exceed my real life

I believe the "absurd price" is 8000 souls? At least if it's consistent with the undead merchant at the termination of the sewer path, which you should have access to if you're in the Depths (there's a shortcut back to Firelink Shrine roughly opposite the Depths door from lower Undead Burg). It might sound like a lot now, but consider these three points:

1. It becomes chump change relatively quickly. 
    2. Curse used to stack.
    3. Even with full HP, the best course of action is not to get struck. Get a solid shield with 100% physical damage reduction, and make sure your equipment load is under 50% of your character's maximum. You can now block most things, especially with a full stamina bar, and you have a reasonable evasion. 
    I know "don't get hit" sounds like a insufficient response, but there's a lot of ways to do that in Dark Souls. My personal favourite is to strike before an opponent does, preferably with a long, heavy weapon. Greatsword-class weapons like the Bastard Sword or Claymore are excellent options if you want to retain some speed, but you can hit up the Zweihander in Firelink Shrine if you want to go all in. Wield them in both hands to maximise your interruption value (or poise damage, as the game would put it), and most enemies won't be able to act through your attacks -- and you'll often be striking from outside their attack range. 
    I'm not saying it's absurd.

I thing Oswald sells it for cheaper than the sewer merchant, who I always forget about.
  • I feel that Dark Souls truly obscene difficulty does have the effect of banding gamers together against a common evil.

Rather than setting players against each other like wild animals, they're forced to rely on each other because the game is that frigging hard
  • have you uh

ever actually played Dark Souls

cuz that doesn't happen

also Dark Souls isn't hard.
  • I mean more, like, during the inception of Dark Souls, when literally no one knew how to do stuff like uncurse themselves and had to rely on whoever figured it our first.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    people have different standards of difficulty yada yada

(etrian odyssey is not hard)
  • edited 2015-12-28 01:13:44
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Speaking of difficulty, outside of The Worst Character, I am really bad at Eve on Greed mode; haven't even bothered with ??? yet, who is my worst character. Thankfully I don't seem to be the only one that struggles with ??? and a number of items are entirely useless on it, but still.

I am also somewhat waiting for the day I get a breaking run and can donate a ridiculous about of coins to the machine.
  • I just kind of think people fetishizing Dark Souls' perceived difficulty is silly.

Like 3/5ths of what makes Dark Souls hard is the unconventional control scheme and to a lesser extent the other game systems.
    Jane said:

I just kind of think people fetishizing Dark Souls' perceived difficulty is silly.

Like 3/5ths of what makes Dark Souls hard is the unconventional control scheme and to a lesser extent the other game systems.
    It isn't AS hard as they make it out to be.

I feel that Dark Souls truly obscene difficulty does have the effect of banding gamers together against a common evil.

Rather than setting players against each other like wild animals, they're forced to rely on each other because the game is that frigging hard
    Sometimes people come together to figure things out, and help take down titans.

Other times they hack the game to kill newbies with late game superweapons.
  • edited 2015-12-28 01:34:30
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

Jane said:

I just kind of think people fetishizing Dark Souls' perceived difficulty is silly.

It isn't AS hard as they make it out to be.

I feel that Dark Souls truly obscene difficulty does have the effect of banding gamers together against a common evil.

Sometimes people come together to figure things out, and help take down titans.

Other times they hack the game to kill newbies with late game superweapons.
    Ya don't even need to hack the game to do that though. Just do a Catacombs suicide run and voila, a sword that will kill any newbie you poke with it in less than 10 minutes.
  • I am getting wrecked in Splatoon today. Really out of it for some reason.
  • people have different standards of difficulty yada yada

(etrian odyssey is not hard)

Etrian Odyssey is tedious rather than hard IMO.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Not really, but eh, whatever.
  • Jane said:

IMHO the control scheme makes Dark Souls easier. 

Using the shoulder buttons for primary combat actions frees up both thumbs, which means that a player can move and change camera angle at the same time as they're blocking, parrying, or attacking. While most people play with lock-on for most of the time, this is a godsend for unlocked combat (which you might like to do when using a heavy weapon against a group of opponents, for instance). 

On top of that, Demon's Souls and all of its successors have an action queue, so they're pretty forgiving in terms of timing. It also means you're punished for overly impetuous decision making. So overall, I'd say the Souls control scheme is really about maximum usability, so the gameplay can revolve around strategy. 
  • Real men play it with Donkey Konga bongos.
  • Bloodborne expansion, all of my characters are into several versions of NG+

It's pancake city for me, across the board. 
  • Jane said:

Using the shoulder buttons for primary combat actions frees up both thumbs, which means that a player can move and change camera angle at the same time as they're blocking, parrying, or attacking. While most people play with lock-on for most of the time, this is a godsend for unlocked combat (which you might like to do when using a heavy weapon against a group of opponents, for instance). 

On top of that, Demon's Souls and all of its successors have an action queue, so they're pretty forgiving in terms of timing. It also means you're punished for overly impetuous decision making. So overall, I'd say the Souls control scheme is really about maximum usability, so the gameplay can revolve around strategy. 
    I am well aware of the reasoning behind the Souls series' control scheme. I actually quite like it, all I meant was that it can take some time to get used to.

Bloodborne expansion, all of my characters are into several versions of NG+

The DLC is really hard, and should not be done NG+
  • Bloodborne expansion, all of my characters are into several versions of NG+

I agree with this, but that means abandoning the characters I've already made.

And I'm not doing that.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Kexruct said:

Props to 999's translators having a character say "Any of you chumps speak Japanese?" to a crowd including a person named Junpei and a person named Akane.

Especially when the other people's names include Gentarou, Kashiwabara, andYotsuba.
    Y'know i was being sincere, i was impressed they got the phrase right, a surprising number of people think it's "another thing coming"

but yes, the line was actually "any of you chumps speak Japanese?  No?" which is a fairly silly localization goof.  should have left that remark out, or else changed the names.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    for the most part this translation is really good, though
  • It really is, all sarcasm aside. It's a damn well written game.
  • Jane said:

Jane said:

I am well aware of the reasoning behind the Souls series' control scheme. I actually quite like it, all I meant was that it can take some time to get used to.
    That's fair enough. 

Sometimes I feel the need to explain these things because so many otherwise good developers get them "wrong" on a regular basis. Like in the case of The Witcher 3 on consoles, where the attack buttons aren't shoulder buttons for some godforsaken reason. CD Projekt Red are great developers, so if they miss a piece of logic, I figure it's worth explaining explicitly if such a topic comes up. 

Bloodborne expansion, all of my characters are into several versions of NG+

I agree with this, but that means abandoning the characters I've already made.

And I'm not doing that.
    That makes sense.

Good luck, I hope this video can help you

• Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Looks serviceable.

Does this person legit not know who Pewdiepie is, though?