General Video Game Thread

Comments

• i think i discovered it

to make a game cater to me, make it unlock increasingly awesome music as the game gets more difficult and harrowing
  • examples:

Stickerbrush Symphony, DKC 2
    level 4-1 music, Mutant Mudds
    final dungeon theme, Ys Oath
    final tower section theme (Beyond the Beginning) and Zava/Kishgal boss battle theme, Ys Origin
    The Tragic Prince, Lost Painting, Final Toccata, CvSotN
    two special boss themes and at least three Dracula Catle themes, CvOoE
    Vampire Killer, CvCotM
    Vampire Killer 2k2, CvHoDiss
    Exdeath's battle theme and Prelude to Empty Skies, Final Fantasy V
    Cecil's theme (in the lunar core), Final Fantasy IV
    final general game area theme and "trust in Samus" theme, Metroid Fusion
    Deadscape and Mines themes, Scurge: Hive
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    One word: Megalovania.
  • edited 2015-12-14 11:36:55
    I thought it was named "Bergentrückung".

edit: yeah, I just checked both.  It is indeed named "Bergentrückung".
  • edited 2015-12-14 11:26:55
    Does anyone know of any games that fit the following conditions:

* massively multiplayer, or at least around 20 or more players per game who are organized into teams or can self-organize into teams/alliances (or something like that)
    * a territory control game, in the style inspired by Risk - focus on grand strategy and territory control, rather than on individual units in combat
    * playable on a stationary PC that runs Windows (i.e. not a mobile-only game, and not a game that requires a physical presence in a certain location)

It can be a downloadable or browser game, it doesn't need to be on Steam or anything, and it can be for free or paid.

Basically, I'm looking for something that is similar to GoCrossCampus (a.k.a. GXC), if anyone remembers what that is. Another game that seems to work similar, but which I never played, seems to be called Turf.
    Here's an image of GXC gameplay: http://www.xconomy.com/wordpress/wp-content/images/2008/03/gxc_ivyleague.jpg
    All those numbers?  They're basically the sums of individual players' unit strengths (not all of which are the same) on those territories.  Some of them have been accumulated over many turns.
    So, in other words, massively multiplayer Risk.

Bonus points to you if:
    * the game you mention gives players a role to play even after they lose all their territories
    * the game allows multiple teams to have troops on a single territory at once
    * other interesting emergent gameplay features
  • The closest thing I can think of is Planetside 2 (and the original). Which is free, last time I checked.
  • People keep on suggesting that, but I look at it and it's very much focused on combat on the individual level (it IS an FPS after all).

I'm not looking to play or micromanage the individual unit; I'm looking to throw massive amounts of units at enemies.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Hunie Pop.
  • MachSpeed said:

Hunie Pop.

not those kinds of units
    Also, no, it's MEGALOVANIA.

It's so good, it's discouraged and forbidden.
  • edited 2015-12-14 14:14:55
    seriously though

as an honest comment, i prefer bergentrückung to megalovania

megalovania has a cool and rather insane snazziness to it, but it doesn't compare in long-lasting impact to the passionately emotional conflict that is bergentrückung

bergentrückung also has a lot more harmonic interest

i will say that both are catchy, and that toby fox is likely a musical genius
  • Eden's Aegis has nice music.
  • *sneezes*
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I got goosebumps the first time I saw the ASGORE fight, and ASGORE begins playing as he destroys the Mercy button... but the insane snazziness of MEGALOVANIA is simply more resonating to me.
  • i think snazziness/coolness is something that doesn't quite appeal to me as much as deep emotional meaning does

this appears to be a general statement
    Except there's deep emotional meaning in MEGALOVANIA too? It's just not the same stuff. With ASGORE it's all about a reluctant King taking up the final fight, only to end with an emotional resolution of violence not having to be solution. In the case of MEGALOVANIA it's, well, violence having to be an option as Sans fights an uphill battle against a ridiculously powerful genocidal monster. It's not one you want, naturally, but it's still there given that Sans pulls out all of the stops to beat you (sort of, because lazy), even attacking you through the menu.
    I'm very conflicted about how to feel about MEGALOVANIA, actually.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    I always liked the interpretation of MEGALOVANIA that it's your theme. After all, it's always been used as a theme for villains, and you don't get much more final boss-like than a possessed child aiming to destroy the timeline.
    That makes sense.

I always liked the interpretation of MEGALOVANIA that it's your theme. After all, it's always been used as a theme for villains, and you don't get much more final boss-like than a possessed child aiming to destroy the timeline.

Same. It's basically what I was trying to say, awkwardly, but from the opposite point of view.
  • edited 2015-12-14 15:48:24
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    It actually reminds me of Digital Devil Saga and the bonus fight against the Demifiend from Nocturne, which uses a track from that game. To be exact, it uses the random encounter theme.
  • edited 2015-12-15 00:10:29
    Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    megalovania plays because, in fact, you don't get possessed by chara, you get possessed by vriska
  • ^ Friska
  • LWLW
    edited 2015-12-15 02:10:08

Why is Splatoon not on that list? I guess it could be because there is no "rugged Splatoon Joe" to speak of... Though Guitar Hero is on that list, so maybe there is no real rhyme or reason to it anyway.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-12-15 03:18:30
    I'm near the end of a Nightmare run of Trails in the Sky.  Chaos Brand is, like, sadistically good.  Also fuck bosses who spam Tearal when they're close to dead.  Looking at you Lorence.
  • Oh damn. I actually ended up beating Super Turbo's cheap AI on Medium. And I didn't even realize it. o.o

I'm actually surprised with myself there.
    I can’t believe I’m drift-compatible with Nick Valentine.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-12-16 08:43:29
    So I'm in Aureole, and I've proven myself capable of bringing down the scarier monster chests.

I figure I'm good on the last few bosses, since I remember they were only hard because of the acheivement where you couldn't use S-crafts.  And right now...I can spam them with two characters.  Estelle can usually hit consecutive S-breaks faster than her own turn order.  2x Gladiator Headband rocks.  Which is good, because at this point S-crafts are the only physical attack that reliably does more than two digits against all these bloated HP bars, and Estelle can't really react in time to do anything else useful even with Action 2 + Clock EX (why is she so slow?!).

I'm kind of pleased with how this run turned out.  Lorence was the only optional win I didn't get through the whole game, and the really hard stuff was all mainline bosses (basically anything dog-shaped).  Chaos Brand works laughably well against almost anything in the game that isn't a climax boss, and you can watch special ops halberd elites beat the shit out of each for 1200 a pop right up until Aureole opens up.
  • http://www.polygon.com/2015/12/16/10270432/hideo-kojima-new-studio-playstation

free at last, free at last, thank God almighty, he is free at last
    I choose to "blame" Snakebird. As such, Section and Tach might like it, once it releases.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I have issues with most 3D games, but I'll likely give it a try.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    as if 2 dimensions wasn't hard enough :p
    Hurrah!
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Tachyon said:

as if 2 dimensions wasn't hard enough :p

http://www.wonder-tonic.com/wolf1d/
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    i still have yet to play snekbirb
  • BeeBee
    edited 2015-12-17 01:30:22
    Wishlisting both of those.  Thanks for the find.
    You, are, welcome~
  • Found Doom. Need good mods.
  • I think there's one that changes all the BGM to disco music.

Get that one.
  • Snakebird bonus levels are fucking ridiculous, omg
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    i'm slowly starting to get an intuition for snekbirb
    I'm not very good at it, especially given how I play more roguelikes than puzzlers (love them both thought), but I'm inching my way up.
  • I'm about halfway through the game, but those fucking bonus levels.
    I don't think I'll ever be able to beat the bonus levels.

I did eventually get the hang of the regular levels, though.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    People said Her Story was good.

They lied.
    Did people seriously not learn their lesson about FMV games from the Sega CD?
  • My dreams exceed my real life

Did people seriously not learn their lesson about FMV games from the Sega CD?

• Touch the cow. Do it now.

Found Doom. Need good mods.

Beautiful Doom