General Video Game Thread

Comments

• image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Because Evil Tumblr SJWs. (That is the actual reasoning being given.)
  • I'm kind of over the "GameFAQs troglodytes vs. enlightened Undertale fans" narrative.

for a time, it was funny, it isn't anymore, imo.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    uhhhh...ok
  • why would people at GameFAQs be upset about that, anyway

Because Undertale is an "SJW Game" because you don't have to hurt anyone or some nonsense like that.
    uhhhh...ok
  • uhhhh...ok

people enjoy taking screencaps of GameFAQs users being mad about Undertale and posting them on tumblr.

:shrug:
    I guess it doesn't have enough grizzled-looking space marines in brown-and-gray corridors laying waste to vicious mutants
  • Jane said:

uhhhh...ok

people enjoy taking screencaps of GameFAQs users being mad about Undertale and posting them on tumblr.

:shrug:
    Jane, they're really salty... like hot damn.

• edited 2015-12-13 06:41:57
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Right now there's a GameFAQs thread at the very top about how the Smash community should beat up the Undertale community and I think it's hilarious because everyone is awful and I'm fanning the flames.

EDIT: Object example, the above.

I want to see who else this can piss off.
  • I know, it just

it doesn't make me happy to see people raging in blind fury at something they don't understand, it makes me sad.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    The salt is delicious. A fine grade.
  • this just makes me mad and depressed about the state of society, it isn't funny.
  • Jane said:

I know, it just

it doesn't make me happy to see people raging in blind fury at something they don't understand, it makes me sad.
    They don't understand it, and they choose not to, this is a choice they made to be this aggressively ignorant about everything.

Man, the funny thing is, while the "non-violence" aspect of Undertale is all fine and good it's not really what interests me. I find its mindscrewy metanarrative aspects to be the best part, really. But I suppose these TROO GAMER types don't even know about that.
  • it seems like a boring thing to talk about
  • edited 2015-12-13 06:44:59

some people on some corner of the internet are in a froth, maybe it will spill over somewhere

but us talking about it doesn't change it, it just makes us all feel kinda bad
  • so the end result of this discussion is more negative energy, and this forum really doesn't need more of that at the moment, with everyone all super on edge as of late
  • edited 2015-12-13 06:51:22
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    The main thing that interests me about Undertale is how it blends together both the conventional and the unconventional into its being.

It is the perfect sort of video game for middle-roaders such as myself.

As for this specific topic, this kind of thing isn't really capable of making me sad. I do find this mockery annoying for other reasons that I find hard to articulate, though.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    It's certainly not the happiest discussion, in part because we're all more or less agreed that this particular type of backlash is silly (I'm pretty sure). So I'll probably just go on ignoring such talk.
    let's talk about more FUN things
  • cute duke nukem x hatred guy fanart goes here
    we all like FUN things right
    Rename thread to the Dwarf Fortress Thread.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Pretty much all the video games that came out this year that I took an interest in and played have all been disappointing in some way or another.

With a few exceptions, like Undertale and Transformers Devastation.
  • I only bought like two new games this year.

On the flipside I listened to way more albums than last year. Close to 50.
    I think I bought two games this year, Rogue Legacy and Undertale

I enjoyed them both
  • I bought Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth and fucking FRACT, the latter of which turned out to be a terrible decision.
    You haven't beaten Rogue Legacy until you've had Vertigo and Glaucoma.
    Can you have both of those at the same time?
    Yep. The only traits that can't be on the same character are ones that directly conflict.
    well, it sounds like a fun time.
  • I'm on the naughty list for splatting LW with a seeker the second he landed from a super jump.
    Best weapon still Inkbrush.
  • Some people believe that videogames should only ever be a certain way.

These people argue that Undertale sucks as a game because it prioritizes storytelling. These are the same people who argue that JRPGs aren't "real games" because it's possible to overlevel and go through the game with trivial difficulty (only ever use Fight), or that Medic is the worst class in TF2 because you primary function is not to fight using your own skill but just rely on others to fight for you.
    some people are dipshits
  • edited 2015-12-13 09:32:27
    Actually, here's a more accurate answer.

Some people believe that the term "game" should only apply to things that have play mechanics, and a subset of them believe that that term should only apply to things that have play mechanics _as a focus_.

The latter probably is also a subset of those people who generally skip through the dialogue in a game just to hurry on to the next opportunity to kill some dudes or get the next objective macguffin or build their character/city/whatever.
  • Because the radio stations around Maryville are shit awful I've been listening to the only CD I own, that being the Super Smash Bros. soundtrack (I know I'm a nerd, go ahead and pelt me with stuff.) and like daaaaamn, Stickerbrush Symphony is such a weirdly beautiful song.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist is a good and funny game.

Also it is free on Steam, so I certainly got my money's worth.
  • That Gamefaqs trollage made me laugh.  Thanks for making my day.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i agree with Jane, tbh

Like, it was mildly amusing the first time i guess, when it was just the one post about the flower who loves everyone regardless of their chosen gender

but stuff like the post Clock quoted is just depressing, that the people saying this stuff are mad about a video game doesn't make it any less unpleasant to read
  • edited 2015-12-13 19:50:16

the "flower who loves anybody regardless of their chosen gender" thing is funny because the flower....
    Spoiler:
    definitely does not love anyone regardless of their chosen gender
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    he offered to share some LOVE with me
    level of violence
  • Jane said:

I know, it just

I agree. I think that is part of the reason why I cannot really tolerate SA as much as some people can. "Making fun of dumb nerds" is just not funny to me, especially because I feel like things tend to be a bit more complicated than "I'm smart and they are dumb." Sometimes I think focusing on the faults of other people can make us less likely to acknowledge and deal with our own.
    Haven said:

I'm on the naughty list for splatting LW with a seeker the second he landed from a super jump.

Super jumps seem super dangerous unless you have that ninja super jump ability, so I cannot really blame you for splatting me when I took a risk like that.
  • Kexruct said:

Because the radio stations around Maryville are shit awful I've been listening to the only CD I own, that being the Super Smash Bros. soundtrack (I know I'm a nerd, go ahead and pelt me with stuff.) and like daaaaamn, Stickerbrush Symphony is such a weirdly beautiful song.

isn't that originally from the Donkey Kong Country soundtrack? That CD is a secret classic.

Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist is a good and funny game.

Also it is free on Steam, so I certainly got my money's worth.
    I am going to go check this out.
  • I just beat Wonderful 101 and I'm just so jazzed. It's like Gurren Lagann, the video game. Everything just keeps escalating and exploding and being wonderful.
  • Jane said:

Kexruct said:

Because the radio stations around Maryville are shit awful I've been listening to the only CD I own, that being the Super Smash Bros. soundtrack (I know I'm a nerd, go ahead and pelt me with stuff.) and like daaaaamn, Stickerbrush Symphony is such a weirdly beautiful song.

isn't that originally from the Donkey Kong Country soundtrack?
    DKC 2 specifically, yes. It is brilliant. So serenely beautiful and picturesque and yet for some of the hardest and most inaccessible levels in the game. It's like a reward for getting that far.