• I don't know.
  • im on mobile this thread is mine now
  • Now we are all sons of bitches.
  • edited 2015-05-27 03:20:53
    Oh look, it's gone.
  • Anyway, reposting:

Acererak said:

Acererak said:

The word "Baphomet" most likely originated from the Crusades. French crusaders reported that they would hear their enemies, the vile Saracens, cry out the word "Baphomet" before battle in reverence to what they assumed to be their god. The most blatantly obvious explanation was that they misheard the word "Mohammed", and let their hatred of those goshdang Muslims do the rest.

So a major figure in Western occultism was spawned from a mishearing and the Those Filthy Arabs mindset. Rather anti-climactic.
    that seems overly convenient to me
    It's true, though.

The name Baphomet appeared in July 1098 in a letter by the crusader Anselm of Ribemont:

Sequenti die aurora apparente, altis vocibus Baphomethinvocaverunt; et nos Deum nostrum in cordibus nostris deprecantes, impetum facientes in eos, de muris civitatis omnes expulimus.[5]

As the next day dawned, [our enemies] called loudly upon Baphometh; and we prayed silently in our hearts to God, then we attacked and forced all of them outside the city walls.[6]

Acererak said:

Another factor is how fucked Christian demonology is as a result of so many denominations.

Baphomet. Baal. Astaroth. Asmodeus. Beelzebub. Mephistopheles. Lucifer. Satan.

Are these all the same fallen angel, or are they all distinctive entities? You'll get a different answer for each denomination you ask.

• They're all different if you're playing Bravely Default.  And fuck Belphegor.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    crossposting from non-public musings which was entirely the wrong place idk why i put it there

Wendigo thread reminded me

i find it odd that the most iconic mythical creatures in the UK are typically not ones that originated here

the fae are an exception, but even then that's mostly via a (dubious) association with fairy tales, which at this point are primarily associated with Disney in the popular consciousness
    i would watch a horror movie about the Nuckelavee
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I would watch that so hard.
  • kill living beings
    that's cause you didn't originate there either!! #RomansOut #GoHomeNormans

#GoHomeNormans

yeah, well

your face
    You're probably right, actually.

But then, the USA was founded by a colonial population and you guys have wendigo stories, so it didn't have to turn out this way.
  • kill living beings
    people aren't too big on the local stuff, really. it's almost entirely 19th century short stories and " folk" songs, abd the native Americans, well we killed 90% of em so
  • we dont like remembering that
  • Vampire Lady of Corvidia

(The other Jane)
    I'm a fan of vampires, myself, but everyone knew that.

(the Polidori-Le Fanu-Stoker-Rice tradition, mostly)

(The other Jane)
    I've recently been getting into Thelemic magick.

people aren't too big on the local stuff, really. it's almost entirely 19th century short stories and " folk" songs, abd the native Americans, well we killed 90% of em so

And imports of Victorian imports of Continental European horrors.
    i guess that's in line with the stuff that gets exported to here.  i don't remember seeing much in the way of references to Native American folklore in American movies and TV.

i think the cultural prominence of Greek mythology here owes less to the Romans and more to Neoclassicism and its watered-down Victorian offspring.

(The other Jane)
    Tachyon said:

i guess that's in line with the stuff that gets exported to here.  i don't remember seeing much in the way of references to Native American folklore in American movies and TV.

i think the cultural prominence of Greek mythology here owes less to the Romans and more to Neoclassicism and its watered-down Victorian offspring.

Unless of course you're one of those wonks who believes that the Trojan War took place in Britain
    . . . who
    Tachyon said:

Well we do have Native Americans who appear in media to teach the palefaces Important Lessons About Spirituality And Nature Which Coincidentally Do Not Specifically Resemble Any Real Native American Beliefs.
    Odradek said:

Tachyon said:

Well we do have Native Americans who appear in media to teach the palefaces Important Lessons About Spirituality And Nature Which Coincidentally Do Not Specifically Resemble Any Real Native American Beliefs.
    Dead Man kinda parodied this by having the main character have a Native American guide who'd spent most of his life in Britain, and mostly quoted William Blake.
  • stupid fucking white man
    naney said:

stupid fucking white man

This was my first thought when the Cecil the Lion thing happened.
    For serious i haven't heard of this Troy thing.  The Schliemann expedition ought to have put an end to any nonsense like that.

i want to see Dead Man.

(The other Jane)
    How very strange.
    My favorite home grown American mythical beast is the Squonk.
  • In The Independent's "Building a library" series Tom Holland recommended the work for those who "have had enough of scepticism" about the Trojan War legend and have "wondered why Ilium sounds a bit like Ilford".[11]

I have totally wondered about that all of the time, as have countless others no doubt
    Indeed. The question is never far from my mind.
  • edited 2015-07-29 22:55:59

Ilium, Ilford, Illmatic

there are three of them

A triangle has 3 sides!

A PYRAMID is A BUNCH OF TRIANGLES!!

TROJAN ENGLISH NAS ILLUMINATI CONFIRMED!!!!
    ILLUMINATI

heavens, you're right!
  • that is beautiful and I actually love it

go Medjed!
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    This is a good story.
  • I wonder how much it would cost to import one of those shirts

I want to wear a twice-foreign meme
  • what the actual fuck

that is beautiful and I actually love it

go Medjed!

• edited 2015-09-02 10:02:58
    The English word "Juggernaut" derives from the Hindu Jagganatha, an avatar of Vishnu. It originated when a British dude saw a procession in India (Ratha-Yatra) and witnessed an incident involving the Jagganatha's image crushing onlookers. This was most likely an accident, but since Durr Hurr Brown People Are Stupid wasn't an uncommon mindset back then it was concluded that these onlookers were deliberately throwing themselves at the chariot in a religious frenzy.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    You’re not allowed to make fake tarot cards unless you make up all the cards.

This means that ‘Judgment’ and ‘Whaler’ are not allowed to be in the same deck.
    I'll need to buy a new book.
    woah, cool
  • Oh my God!  What if it contains a huge plot twist that casts the entire rest of the story in a completely different --
    Professor Al-Rawi also said that the tablet mentions that Gilgamesh and Enkidu saw a "monkey"; this is not mentioned in the other available versions of tablet V.
    Oh.

Seriously though, this is really cool.
  • Don't fuck with the monkey
  • edited 2015-10-15 11:33:03
    On another note, here's Satan's earliest likely mythological inspiration: 

In ancient Canaanite mythology, the morning star is pictured as a god, Attar, who attempted to occupy the throne of Ba'al and, finding he was unable to do so, descended and ruled the underworld.[37][38] The original myth may have been about a lesser god Helel trying to dethrone the Canaanite high god El who lived on a mountain to the north.[39][40]Hermann Gunkel's reconstruction of the myth told of a mighty warrior called Hêlal, whose ambition it was to ascend higher than all the other stellar divinities, but who had to descend to the depths; it thus portrayed as a battle the process by which the bright morning star fails to reach the highest point in the sky before being faded out by the rising sun.[41]

• edited 2015-10-15 14:22:00
    Yep yep yep! Satan-as-rebellious-figure is a Christian conception that is unsupported anywhere in the Old Testament: in his only concrete appearance (Book of Job) he is an obedient agent of God. I guess Armilus is a close analogy to the Antichrist, but he could also be [King that persecutes Jews X] again.

Read more here.
  • edited 2015-10-15 14:35:55
    My dreams exceed my real life

Yep yep yep! Satan-as-rebellious-figure is a Christian conception that is unsupported anywhere in the Old Testament: in his only concrete appearance (Book of Job) he is an obedient agent of God. I guess Armilus is a close analogy to the Antichrist, but he could also be [King that persecutes Jews X] again.

Read more here.
    There are some fringe figures who think it might be an Ugaritic idea, but yep
  • edited 2015-10-15 14:41:49
    Note that Islam's "Shaitan" is different: he's a jinn, not an angel, and thus is neither inherently good nor evil. He chooses evil in the same way that wicked humans do, and his spiritual essence is not warped for his disobedience. 

Judaism regards the act of an angel rebelling as ridiculous - angels are closest to the ultimate source of Good, so "why don't you rebel?" to them would be a similar question as "why don't you shoot yourself in the foot and live in a garbage dump forever?" would be to us.
    What about Iblis?