General Religion, Mythology, and occult talk

Comments

• edited 2013-11-04 15:00:35
    kill living beings
     I'd imagine that'd be like finding out Asian countries are throwing bread and wine parties called "Communion" because some Christian pastors went over and started the practice a few decades ago.

i don't think that's too weird for cultural practices, that shit is transient

a lot of farmers in indochina, and probably europe for that matter, think corn is something they've grown traditionally, for thousands of years

shit i'm good at this page thing
  • Umm, as far as various groups of humanity go, I'd say hippies are rather harmless and so do not deserve particular hate.
    That's only because you haven't seen them get into a pissing match with frat boys.  That shit goes nuclear.  The moment you see a mobile armored sweat lodge and a battalion of fire poi dancers, you need to get the hell out of Portland.
  • edited 2013-11-05 10:52:31
    Man, I'd like to see the next God of War pit Kratos against Mithras.

There's so much cool shit in Mithraism, like a bull made of the sins of the world whose corpse turns into every plant ever.

Also it influenced Christianity a great deal so it's the closest Kratos can get to fighting Jesus without the moral guardians starting an uproar.
  • Anyway, I wonder just how New Age stuff differs from things like Santeria http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santería in terms of mismatch of borrowed pieces of tradition devoid of context
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    What they have is all they have left, so I don't blame them.
  • kill living beings
    i suppose the difference with "new age stuff" is that they do the lack of context thing for practices that are still alive and well, and accessible, which isn't really the case with the whole slave trade genocide thing

most religion lacks a lot of "context" anyway. why else would people think an "argentinian" pope is novel (it is novel in a modern context, of course)
  • I've meant mostly incorporation of Roman Catholicism elements as "lacking context", not the aboriginal ones. But fair enough
  • kill living beings
    i don't think catholicism was that accessible to the santerians. how often were slaves given aquinas? but i dunno
  • I think that if I'll ever become religious, I'd be the most sympathetic to Episcopal Church. They are socially progressive, value ritual and showy services (which is important to me for emotional reasons), and my anglophile non-practicing Protestant mother would approve :)
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    That is the sort of book that's either a glorious, non-stop laugh fest, or a long, painful, naked swim through shards of broken glass.
  • it is probably the latter but as i do not have it on hand i shall ignore the likely truth
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens

... hey, a lot of those are out of chronological order.

• it is probably the latter but as i do not have it on hand i shall ignore the likely truth

Tumblr claims it's the former but I have not read it.

man do you guys ever think about the patriarchs of the various churches

that's a thing right there.
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens

man do you guys ever think about the patriarchs of the various churches

that's a thing right there.

You mean the Pope of Rome, Ppe of Alexandaria, and the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople? Sure.

Weird to think that Russia got its own patriarch again when the Communists took over.

(Yeah, there's actually such a thing as the Egyptian Pope - head of Oriental Orthodoxy.)
  • The Coptic Pope is onesuch example, yes.

There are a number of Orthodox Patriarchs actually. The way that hierarchy is set up is a little odd.

Each Orthodox nation has its own, except Greece. Then there are the ancient bishoprics of Jerusalem and Antioch, which both Orthodox communions and the Roman Catholic Church claim, with patriarchal titles.

Well, not quite that simple. Wikipedia has a list, of course.

• My favorite is the Patriarch of Jerusalem, mostly because of this awesome picture of him

On a tangent, there's a chanson de geste where Charlemagne sails to Jerusalem and is crowned Emperor by the Patriarch, on his way to see the Byzantine Emperor because Mrs. Magne called him the most handsome ruler.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
  • So not exactly religion but this quote has always confused me:

"All get what they want; they do not always like it."

-C.S Lewis

Loads of people don't get what they want, What is this supposed to mean?
  • kill living beings
    perhaps he was referring to something specifically, like the afterlife maybe
  • The Patriarch of Jerusalem is holding a keyblade made of candles.
  • So something cool happened today.

I found out that the priest who baptized me--one Joseph Kurtz--has been ordained as a cardinal.
  • edited 2013-11-13 16:27:22
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Bee said:

The Patriarch of Jerusalem is holding a keyblade made of candles.

Yes!

^ Neat!
    What does the Patriarch of Jerusalem need a keyblade for?
  • For fighting off the demons that King Solomon summoned 4,000 years ago, obviously.

Someone's made a comic about that I'm sure. If not, I'm sure someone will now.
  • kill living beings
    you sure he's a cardinal? i'm seeing news articles saying he's an archbishop and president of the american bishops

obviously way less important than getting to wear red
  • http://www.ackermanshoes.com/store/index.php/men-shoes/shoes/bxvi-pred.html

if you have 275 bucks you can have the exact same shoes that Benedict XVI wore
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Acererak said:So not exactly religion but this quote has always confused me:
                                                                      -C.S Lewis

I don't think that quote was ever used in a philosophical context. When I read it, it was used in the context of Jadis stealing apples of agelessness, tempting Digory to do the same. Jadis could have lived nearly forever, but she would have been changed from full of life to the cold thing she is in
    Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe. Digory could have saved his mother, but her life would be damned and cursed by the stolen apple.

So it's like a narrative thing. There are never any monkey's paws, but if you have a monkey's paw, don't wish with it.
  • For fighting off the demons that King Solomon summoned 4,000 years ago, obviously.

Someone's made a comic about that I'm sure. If not, I'm sure someone will now.

Not sure about a comic, but I can think of a video game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Hearts:_Covenant
  • So something cool happened today.

I found out that the priest who baptized me--one Joseph Kurtz--has been ordained as a cardinal.

That is very cool indeed!

I wish I've got someone cool instead of that one... intern, I guess? Not sure if the term is appropriate for a priest, but he was very young, inexperienced and obviously undergoing training on the job. Anyway, I've been a rather chubby 13 years old, and he thought of nothing better than to take one look at me and give me a very pointed lecture on the evils of adultery (facepalm)

So I'm kind of envious
  • you sure he's a cardinal? i'm seeing news articles saying he's an archbishop and president of the american bishops

obviously way less important than getting to wear red
    He's been elected to the position but did not actually take office yet, is my understanding.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I was baptized by Rick Warren.
    Odradek said:

I was baptized by Rick Warren.

Whoa.

@

• Acererak said:

So not exactly religion but this quote has always confused me:

-C.S Lewis

I don't think that quote was ever used in a philosophical context. When I read it, it was used in the context of Jadis stealing apples of agelessness, tempting Digory to do the same. Jadis could have lived nearly forever, but she would have been changed from full of life to the cold thing she is in Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe. Digory could have saved his mother, but her life would be damned and cursed by the stolen apple.

So it's like a narrative thing. There are never any monkey's paws, but if you have a monkey's paw, don't wish with it.

So it was like a "hahaha you passed the test of character" or something?

The White Witch was never really a great person to begin with, though. I mean when we first meet her, she freely admits to destroying her entire planet with a nuclear bomb spell out of pride.
    Yeah, I guess you could call it a test of character. But the test was never for Jadis, it was always for Digory.

So when the Emperor Julian was trying to re-establish paganism, he had a friend named Sallust who wrote a work of theology titled On the Gods and the World.

"That a God is immutable, without Generation, eternal, incorporeal, and omnipresent"

"On what account then the ancients, neglecting such discourses as these, employed fables, is a question not unworthy our investigation. ... Fables are theological which employ nothing corporeal, but speculate the very essences of the gods; such as the fable which asserts that Saturn devoured his children: for it obscurely intimates the nature of an intellectual god, since every intellect returns into itself."

Oh, that explains it!

I assumed babies where delicious.

Also, according to myth, it was the right thing to do.

Also, according to myth, it was the right thing to do.
    Babies are oatmeal?
    Well like to guard against usurpation, presumably.
  • Inventing birth control would have helped more in that regard, I'd think

thefutureghost asked:

I seem to remember you knowing a thing or two about demonology. Can you think of any Demon Lords or whatever that are closely associated with water/the sea?

• Bump to see if the chatbox works
  • Oh great, it doesn't. This feels like the final level of Pac-Man.

Guess I'll just have to make a new thread...
  • Holy crap that's some broken HTML