The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
    Nerds are sheep who are convinced they're too smart for the slaughterhouse, because they make ironic comments while walking through it.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Odradek said:

Nerds are sheep who are convinced they're too smart for the slaughterhouse, because they make ironic comments while walking through it.

what is the slaughterhouse a metaphor for?
  • Anonus said:

oh that having-trouble-feeling-"normal"-emotions thing?

i had that too
    nah it's just like

there is nothing there, im totally just flat while im dreaming, like a sociopath or something
    Somewhere in North Korea a teen is typing

"Isn't it fucked up that we have a ruler who's only a decade older than I am and is killing people randomly and sending people to work camps? Guess he can't get laid because he's fat #lol #based"
  • your intent when interacting with reality determines the meaning of the outcome
    George W Bush was the most satirized president in American history. He won his second term by a comfortable margin.

Nerds love to snark on how dumb Michael Bay is. His movies keep doing well.

Get off your goddamn asses or shut up with your Statler and Waldorfing
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Wearisome cynicism.  But you know, sarcasm and parody can be deployed in the service of satire, to political ends.  It's my understanding that this was how they used to be primarily used, before mass media got hold of them.
    Wearisome cynicism.  But you know, sarcasm and parody can be deployed in the service of satire, to political ends.  It's my understanding that this was how they used to be primarily used, before mass media got hold of them.
    http://www.thebaffler.com/salvos/satirized-consumption
  • perhaps together we can destroy this strange new world
  • all we need to do is look at it funny
    Like, snark is a fun thing, i think.  Snarking at a Michael Bay movie is fine imo, if you can stomach Michael Bay.

With politics it's a bit more complicated.  i think satire potentially serves a useful purpose in getting ideas across, and i also don't think you can blame people for venting their frustration online.  But i'm not sure how many options are really available to you, if politically you're in the minority?  You can march, you can write to politicians and the media, you can sign petitions, you can spread the word.  But if you're outnumbered, that's only going to get you so far.  i know that sounds cynical but i can't see any way around that, if you can't accept that you're not accepting democracy.
  • *throws a fridge at Odradek so he develops some chill*
  • Odradek said:

http://www.thebaffler.com/salvos/satirized-consumption
    this is an acceptable article
    Well, i guess there's also direct action, if you don't mind getting arrested and if you're not worried about the risk of hurting the wrong people.

Or you could go into politics yourself, if you have the money.  Or become a civil servant, i guess.
  • Kexruct said:

*throws a fridge at Odradek so he develops some chill*

what happens if you throw it out the window
    it hits the brick wall
    Kexruct said:

*throws a fridge at Odradek so he develops some chill*

Response
  • I guess that's chill out...side... uh I'm not certain if this pun works
    Once, long ago, before Content Capitalism, you did not give people you hated things in exchange for doing things you hated
    i guess to my mind you don't snark about things you hate, you snark about things you don't take seriously.
    Tachyon said:

i guess to my mind you don't snark about things you hate, you snark about things you don't take seriously.

Michael Bay once said that it didn't matter that people hated his movies, because they all went to see them anyway.

He is right. People who hate him, hate him so much that they will prove him right again, and again, because like Sonic the Hedgehog, they cannot stop devouring feces
  • odie i am pretty sure that the vast majority of people who see transformers in the theaters arent people who hate transformers
    Tachyon said:

Michael Bay once said that it didn't matter that people hated his movies, because they all went to see them anyway.

He is right. People who hate him, hate him so much that they will prove him right again, and again, because like Sonic the Hedgehog, they cannot stop devouring feces

• edited 2015-07-14 00:09:21
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Odradek said:

Tachyon said:

and that's dumb, but i feel like if you feel that strongly about it, why even talk about it, why even read about it?

i'm not averse to watching trash once in a while if it'll give me a laugh, and i don't think that's necessarily a bad use of my money
    naney said:

odie i am pretty sure that the vast majority of people who see transformers in the theaters arent people who hate transformers

Besides the point
  • now if i call you odie that makes me Nermal, Jane can be Garfield but then who is Jon?
    Transformers are kind of awful in an unfunny way, to my mind

so i don't watch them

i would rather they were given less attention and people stopped pretending they were important, but i guess there are people who genuinely like them

i'd be surprised if the majority of people buying tickets are people who hate the films, is i guess what i'm saying; critics who insist on treating the movies like they're important while thoroughly trashing them is another matter but it's not where most of the money will be coming from
    naney said:

now if i call you odie that makes me Nermal, Jane can be Garfield but then who is Jon?

It has to be someone Jane is endlessly abusive to, which I don't think describes anyone
    Young Thug
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    oh goodness, some time ago i made a post in the #princesskin tag

and now someone's reblogged it in total seriousness

i love the internet sometimes
    I don't get why it's okay to say that nerds acting like something murdering their childhood is dumb, but not to say this is dumb.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    What I especially love is that said post referenced princess-as-species, which means someone I don't know has now taken me up on that bit of silliness
    Well i guess to my mind both are kinda dumb, but they're dumb because the anger is disproportionate, not because their feelings are unacceptable.

The more i hear about Content Consumption, the less it feels like it's directed at people who are disproportionately angry and the more it feels like it's directed at everyone who watches popular movies.  It starts to feel disproportionate itself.

What I especially love is that said post referenced princess-as-species, which means someone I don't know has now taken me up on that bit of silliness

And then you start a new trend/meme and it's all over tumblr before you know it
    http://kinfood.tumblr.com/

Princesskin isn't in the tags list, so it's not real.
    But like i think it's ok to say, 'this was a bad adaptation,'

and it's ok to joke about Michael Bay

it's stupid to say, 'this adaptation ruined my childhood' and it's stupid to say, 'Michael Bay is ruining cinema' while continuing to write long articles about him and paying to watch his movies so you can complain some more

but how many people really fall into the latter camp, and what is the point in talking about them?  it's like the SJW thing, we all know they're dumb, who cares?

and as with the SJWs, after a certain point it starts to feel like the goalposts have shifted, like anyone who uses the language in a particular way becomes inherently contemptible and merely holding otherwise reasonable opinions becomes grounds for scorn
    In the end, maybe what I really hate is TGWTG
    i also dislike TGWTG
  • edited 2015-07-14 00:26:43
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    Odradek said:

"Isn't it fucked up that we have a ruler who's only a decade older than I am and is killing people randomly and sending people to work camps? Guess he can't get laid because he's fat #lol #based"
    They can't do this because they don't have any Internet access.

Like Tachyon said, you've really lost all sense of proportion.

Odradek said:

I knew that, I was just making a joking analogy
    I'm boring I'm sorry

i'll always love nintendo because of this
    Odradek said:

Odradek said:

I knew that, I was just making a joking analogy
    I'll be honest, it's getting kind of hard to tell when you're being serious or not

I'm sorry
    You're not boring.

i missed the joke, sorry.  But i do that with everyone from time to time.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I'm agreed with AU and Tachyon.

I'm sorry for missing the joke.
  • What I especially love is that said post referenced princess-as-species, which means someone I don't know has now taken me up on that bit of silliness

What's the scientific nomenclature for princesses?
    i finally got to the end of that The Baffler article (how do you guys read so fast?!)

at first it seemed like they were denying satire had any subversive potential whatsoever, but towards the end they seemed to be taking a more cautious stance than that

their remarks about Colbert were food for thought, though
    It got really dark really fast, and not because of the sunset

I wonder if we're in for another insanely intense storm like last night's