The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i would have laughed so much if the last episode of Nagato Yuki-chan had just been the Endless Eight again, only modified by the inclusion of Asakura and Tsuruya but otherwise basically identical
    (i suppose there's technically still time for them to do that, but they already had the bug hunting and the test of fear and they played out quite differently)
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Anonus said:

Is Los Angeles actually a shithole?

nah.  a bit sprawled out though.
  • edited 2015-07-13 16:39:44
    Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    and fuck beverly hills and their bullshit keeping us from having a subway between where I live and where I work until i'm gone
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Tachyon said:

also i rewatched that funny or die video

i seem to remember finding it funny when it came out, but i don't like how vicious it is

there seems to have been something of a backlash lately against things that are just *fun*, in a dumb, superficial way sure but that people share because they're entertaining

I still find it amusing.

I'll give you that a huge part of the joke is the shock factor, though. Consequently, it becomes less amusing after the first watch.

Anyway, I understand your qualms against that kind of comedy, but I have grown quite weary of most of those types of videos over the past year or so. In that regard, that video speaks to me more than it did when I first watched it.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    everybody

rock your body

everybody

rock your body right

backstreet's back

alright!
  • My dreams exceed my real life
  • I love zippy the pinhead

I'll give you that a huge part of the joke is the shock factor, though. Consequently, it becomes less amusing after the first watch.

Yeah, that's probably it.
    Odradek said:

This is a nationally syndicated Newspaper strip
    But like

Sometimes it feels like, idk, like everything has to be so highbrow, so above everything, like you can't enjoy something if it isn't knowing and alternative or at least weird and confusing or some shit
    or even, like, a little intelligence is a bad thing, if what you have to say isn't groundbreakingly original and also speaks to some kind of aesthetic sensibility that you feel deep within your very core, then don't even fucking bother
    Odradek said:

Odradek said:

Good.
  • Odradek said:

Odradek said:

zippy the pinhead is the sole saving grace of American newspapers
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    A Zippy comic that actually seems to kinda have a point? wow

me
    how meta

Dick Tracy is a weird comic
  • edited 2015-07-13 17:24:39
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Tach said: But like

Sometimes it feels like, idk, like everything has to be so highbrow, so above everything, like you can't enjoy something if it isn't knowing and alternative or at least weird and confusing or some shit

or even, like, a little intelligence is a bad thing, if what you have to say isn't groundbreakingly original and also speaks to some kind of aesthetic sensibility that you feel deep within your very core, then don't even fucking bother

My issue with the video was how vicious it was, but otherwise I enjoyed the amusing and rapid changes of POV, and only really one part of the video made me unhappy. It was a little clever. I'm also the type of person to say virtually anything, especially media, is fair game to talk about, criticize, etc.; I know I'm not alone in that but it's besides the point, and relevant regardless.

I read the video as less an attack on not everything being ~groundbreaking~ and more an attack on stuff like BuzzFeed, or even FOD itself (which truthfully I've always cared very little for), and self-aware enough that I don't really mind the mocking.

I'm also of the stance that elitism a la "everything has to be so highbrow" and whatnot are tedious and not worth listening to, in no small part due to how evidently wrong those sorts of people, though I've interacted with them little thankfully. It's just fine for something to just be fun or relaxing or what have you. That's somewhat like what Snakebird is to me: A cute, engaging, and very challenging little puzzler that is all it needs to be. And that's absolutely fine.

Speaking of which, if you like cuteness, challenging puzzlers, relaxing games, birds and/or snakes, I highly recommend you check out Snakebird. It's seven dollars on Steam, which is a fair asking price if you ask me.
    leaping lizards

but why are they speaking Japanese?

in scare quotes, no less
  • Odradek said:

what the everloving fuck

Odradek said:

what the everloving fuck
    Dick Tracy's half-moon person grand daughter is hanging out with Little Orphan Annie at the pool, and they are speaking Japanese.

What is not to get
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    sounds all right to me
  • Odradek said:

im sad this does not run in my local paper
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Non Sequitur, still failing to be funny.
    Crystal said:

Tach said: But like

My issue with the video was how vicious it was, but otherwise I enjoyed the amusing and rapid changes of POV, and only really one part of the video made me unhappy. It was a little clever. I'm also the type of person to say virtually anything, especially media, is fair game to talk about, criticize, etc.; I know I'm not alone in that but it's besides the point, and relevant regardless.

I read the video as less an attack on not everything being ~groundbreaking~ and more an attack on stuff like BuzzFeed, or even FOD itself (which truthfully I've always cared very little for), and self-aware enough that I don't really mind the mocking.

I'm also of the stance that elitism a la "everything has to be so highbrow" and whatnot are tedious and not worth listening to, in no small part due to how evidently wrong those sorts of people, though I've interacted with them little thankfully. It's just fine for something to just be fun or relaxing or what have you. That's somewhat like what Snakebird is to me: A cute, engaging, and very challenging little puzzler that is all it needs to be. And that's absolutely fine.

Speaking of which, if you like cuteness, challenging puzzlers, relaxing games, birds and/or snakes, I highly recommend you check out Snakebird. It's seven dollars on Steam, which is a fair asking price if you ask me.
    Admittedly, the fact that it's FOD themselves doing it makes it funnier and maybe less cruel.

And you're probably right about elitism but sometimes it feels like the whole world thinks this. :/

Like i notice people will often give a pass to something that doesn't *try* to be witty or intellectual, but trying and not meeting their exacting standards is a deadly sin.

And thanks for the recommendation.  i don't play a lot of games nowadays but maybe i'll check that one out.
  • I am fixing my mom's tablet
    technology cat
  • The weird thing about that mindset is that it loops back on itself.

eg. people who think To Pimp A Butterfly was an awful album but think Barter 6 is a record of the year contender.

I didn't think TPAB was perfect but it was above all sincere (something you could say of any Kendrick Lamar record), even if it was over-ambitious.

B6 is

mostly about weed.
    Odradek said:

1. Why is Little Orphan Annie in Dick Tracy?

2. I love how she's still saying expressions from the 1930s in 2015.
  • edited 2015-07-13 17:39:17
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I sympathize with your feeling like the whole world thinks that, even if I can't agree. If I'm seeing too much of something, that strikes me as my issue with not curating what I see or how I interact with daily etc. well enough. I mean, I get it, it can definitely be overwhelming, it's just a stance I've very rarely taken. If people don't like, say, Snakebird for not fulfilling their rational or irrational standards that's their problem, not mine. As long as I can get engaging conversations and enjoy what I enjoy... I don't think I've ever cared, honestly.

Happily! I sometimes feel like I don't recommend games enough, but I'm not sure. I just go with the flow and point stuff out as I feel the urge to.

Jane makes a good point too.
  • It works!!! Hallelujah!!!

Odradek said:

Because Little Orphan Annie ended in a cliffhanger, and the Dick Tracy people wanted to resolve it.

The weird thing about that mindset is that it loops back on itself.

eg. people who think To Pimp A Butterfly was an awful album but think Barter 6 is a record of the year contender.

I didn't think TPAB was perfect but it was above all sincere (something you could say of any Kendrick Lamar record), even if it was over-ambitious.

B6 is

mostly about weed.
    See it's at that point that the hate starts to feel more than a little arbitrary to me . . .
    Crystal said:

I sympathize with your feeling like the whole world thinks that, even if I can't agree. If I'm seeing too much of something, that strikes me as my issue with not curating what I see or how I interact with daily etc. well enough. I mean, I get it, it can definitely be overwhelming, it's just a stance I've very rarely taken. If people don't like, say, Snakebird for not fulfilling their rational or irrational standards that's their problem, not mine. As long as I can get engaging conversations and enjoy what I enjoy... I don't think I've ever cared, honestly.

Happily! I sometimes feel like I don't recommend games enough, but I'm not sure. I just go with the flow and point stuff out as I feel the urge to.

Jane makes a good point too.
    Your point about curating what you see on a daily basis is a good one.  i should put more work into that, i suppose.
    Odradek said:

i laughed and i feel bad
    Odradek said:

Odradek said:

Because Little Orphan Annie ended in a cliffhanger, and the Dick Tracy people wanted to resolve it.
    Little Orphan Annie actually ended?

Wow.
  • edited 2015-07-13 17:59:55
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    HEAP TRIVIA: What year did Central Avenue and Anonus first meet online?

(A) 2008
    (B) 2009
    (C) 2010
    (D) 2011

Stay tuned for the answer!
  • 65,000 BC
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    What year did Aliroz The Confused and Yarrunmace first meet online:

(A) 2008
    (B) 2009
    (C) 2010
    (D) 2011

I don't even have to say it
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    pandering n. something i don't like that others do
    I like CatDog, I don't care what anyone else thinks
  • Aliroz said:

What year did Aliroz The Confused and Yarrunmace first meet online:

(A) 2008
    (B) 2009
    (C) 2010
    (D) 2011

Am I allowed to answer?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I always liked that Calvin's family only had a 13" TV with knobs, which was old even in the '80s and '90s when C&H was running
    20<Myrdradek>30 So there are these three old men in a nursing home, who are so old and feeble that they can barely move themselves
    20<Myrdradek>30 So they share a room, and one man has a bed by the window
    20<Myrdradek>30 So for entertainment, the one old man will describe all the things he sees outside the window, like people walking their dogs, or birds flying, or girls walking by
    20<Myrdradek>30 Then the man in the middle bed dies
    20<Myrdradek>30 So they move the man in the furthest bed closer to the window
    20<Myrdradek>30 SO the man who is now in the middle bed starts thinking about how close he is to death, and how he wants to see the outside world just a few more times
    20<Myrdradek>30 So he figures out a way to kill the man near the window
    20<Myrdradek>30 Then the next day he does it, and he's moved to that bed.
    20<Myrdradek>30 SO he looks out the window, and is met with a view of a solid brick wall
    20<Myrdradek>30 The end
    20<Myrdradek>30 And that illustrates how I feel about life!
    18<Haruspex> you're going to murder creative and nice people?
    20<Myrdradek>30 Yes
    20<Myrdradek>30 This is also how religion works
    18<Haruspex> rude, man

I always liked that Calvin's family only had a 13" TV with knobs, which was old even in the '80s and '90s when C&H was running

On that note, Calvin's favourite toy was a cardboard box.
    Calvin's dad is the kind of person who wouldn't get a new one unless the old one literally exploded.