The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• Tamlin said:

thing that SUCKS about this class: the ridiculous handholding. I'm in college, I dont need a TA to explain the chicago manual of style to me

eh, I majored in a very different field but

ime a large fraction of first years absolutely do need this kind of thing explained
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    See, for me at least, my high school classes took a fairly lax approach to such things and the teachers didn't really care whether we conformed to whatever style guide as long as we nominally said we understood it

So I can see why they'd reiterate that stuff in a first-year college course
  • kill living beings
    Tamlin said:

thing that SUCKS about this class: the ridiculous handholding. I'm in college, I dont need a TA to explain the chicago manual of style to me

this is the worst

the worster part is that some people need it and still fuck it up
  • the thing is, I'm confused about how people wouldn't have learned this in high school, or even middle school? didn't they ever have to write papers?
  • edited 2017-03-23 17:26:55
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I know at my school and many like it is was basically AP/Dual wherein you write a lot of papers always, or not-that and it's basically extremely tedious and easy.

Source: Got put in an awful math class when I transferred to Texas and then he disparity between me with learning geometric shapes and my trig friends was real. Also physics and chemistry. So I had a good idea of what the easier lit courses world be.
  • kill living beings
    Tamlin said:

the thing is, I'm confused about how people wouldn't have learned this in high school, or even middle school? didn't they ever have to write papers?

they did and forgot

i learned metric prefixes like eight times it just goes one ear and out the other
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022

Tamlin said:

the thing is, I'm confused about how people wouldn't have learned this in high school, or even middle school? didn't they ever have to write papers?

they did and forgot

i learned metric prefixes like eight times it just goes one ear and out the other
    Just like how I took chemistry once in community college and again at OSU and basically had to re-learn everything, eh?
  • Tamlin said:

I had to write essays in high school but I definitely never had to follow a particular style guide. They were happy enough if you could spell correctly and avoid contractions and comma splices.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    No offense to Klino but F chemistry class.
  • kill living beings
    why would i be offended by that
  • Yeah, also what other people said.

Again, different subject, but I learned trig identities in high school, in first year calculus, in second year calculus, and I still can never remember basically any of them. I relearned a bunch last semester when I was TAing calculus, and have already forgotten them again.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Odradek said:

Tamlin said:

Odradek said:
    "5 hrs ago"

this take has been floating around for 9 months now who in their right mind thinks the world needs another one of these
    It's not even the most recent iteration of an old take.
    http://www.cracked.com/blog/why-talking-animals-are-bad-way-to-talk-about-racism/

YOU WILL NEVER STOP THE TAKES
    The  takes don't start til I walk in
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I have forgotten everything I learned in school!
  • edited 2017-03-23 17:45:36
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    Anonus said:

Why is it that our Twitter thread faltered but our Tumblr thread didn't (well, after a while)

I think we all learned our lessons from the Tumblr thread.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...

Because. :|

Because your body is made of chemicals, obviously.
  • None of my high school teachers really cared about style, so...

But yeah, it's probably a good idea to review stuff on the first year, not only do some students need it, but it's also a chance to learn stuff right as opposed to the high school version.

That said, I do remember for circuits (4 semesters in) class one of our professors would go out of his way to explain every single derivation, even if it's just something like isolating I from V = R I

Also one of our
    thermodynamics II profs., although he didn't do the above, he says 'somehow' as a
    verbal tick of sorts, so he ends up saying stuff like 'we multiply
    density times volume to somehow  get mass'.
  • I dunno my first year of college I took a bunch of remedial courses and still managed to fail almost every single one before essentially being kicked out.

But hey I'm just an idiot I guess ayy lmao.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

Anonus said:

Why is it that our Twitter thread faltered but our Tumblr thread didn't (well, after a while)

I think we all learned our lessons from the Tumblr thread.

I'm admittedly still sore that people here don't complain about the fandom of the Big Communal Interest

I feel like I missed out on Steven Universe's heyday, and nothing that suited to my tastes will catch on ever again
    Yeah I know that's whiny

It's just...stuck with me
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    OY!

EVERYBODY GET BACK ON THE STEVEN UNIVERSE HYPETRAIN!
    no
  • edited 2017-03-23 22:43:31
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    It bothers me more than it should that this community has dropped off the shows (Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, MLP) that you guys used to love, in favor of new interests.  I was used to things being the way they were, dang it!

I mean, I can stay entertained by the same stuff for years (been playing Age of Empires since I was five), and still be game for discussion, but other people lose interest in things so quickly...
    Well, it's not like I ever play games that are 20+ years old or whatever, nosiree...
    You know all the places to bomb walls
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Dragon Maid Anime was kind of the new SU here for a while, weird as that is to say.
    Every damn one.

Dragon Maid Anime was kind of the new SU here for a while, weird as that is to say.

a little

yeah
  • then it got Controversial and I stopped watching, such is life
  • Meh, SU never really interested me.
    I like SU
    I like Dragonmaid although I've never actually watched it
  • edited 2017-03-23 23:18:21
    I like SU and would be happy to discuss it on here!

I thought about bumping the thread when the show was on but didn't get around to it. Anonus and/or Aliroz, maybe you should make a point of doing that next time it's on.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    I still haven't watched SU, and I'm still neck-deep in MLP.
  • I've seen a couple episodes of SU but I'm not a huge buff on it. Dragon Maid I've seen mostly fan stuff on but it seems neat
  • edited 2017-03-23 23:38:19
    Zuke leaving SU has lessened my enthusiasm for it, although I still like it.
  • edited 2017-03-24 00:03:58
    Also, the next Hiroyuki Imaishi show, assuming he keeps the quality up, has a really good chance of becoming the next SU around here.

(Luluco, as good as it was, was too minor a work to become that.)
  • TreTre
    edited 2017-03-23 23:47:48
    while I still do like SU I haven't been current with it in months and I feel like putting it on a pedestal as this thing that we all have to experience together as it airs doesn't really work because it just leaves behind those of us who aren't able to keep up with it for whatever reason (in my case, being really quite bad at actually sitting down to watch regular television)

(to be clear, I'm not knocking group watches or anything like that, those are great, but I do want to make a note that really good TV, at least for me, can be a very personal sort of experience that I try to experience at my own pace rather than forcing myself to binge through everything in one go; I spread out my P&P watch over the course of a few weeks and I felt like that made the experience more satisfying than it would have been had I tried to just blow through it all)

also most of the stuff I dig doesn't ever really becomes part of the zeitgeist, be it here or otherwise, but I think of that as being less "oh I gotta get everyone to play this! read this! watch this! etc." and more of it just being something I can like on my own. (I know I've shown behavior that kind of goes against this at first, but it's how I feel now after having gotten used to flying solo and everything, and I feel like I talk about the stuff I've been enjoying recently out of love for them rather than with intent to coerce people to like them with me.)
    ^this is good.
  • I guess I never had much of an interest in cartoons...

I'm more into video games, anyway

Talk games to me, people
    How far back does your game memory go?
  • Hmm...

18 years.

I think.
    So...1999?
    Mine goes back to 1988
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    1988 does not exist.
    sure, if you're Michael Dukakis
  • My game memory goes... around 1991? Granted, I have played older games, but just speaking about experience.