The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Clearly Season 15 of Haruhi, which is 71 repeats of the same episode.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I am relatively certain I caught the symbolism but it still kinda confused me.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Watergate
  • Crystal said:

Other 71?

9*8

3*3*2*2*2

3^2 * 2^3

The symbolism should be self evident

is that... is that prime factorization I'm seeing

• It is surprisingly applicable in group theory, though I no longer remember why or how.

I think it had to do with simple groups?
  • I learned it in sixth grade, with a math and science teacher who hated me and confiscated my sunglasses on my birthday because she said I was being disruptive

she left halfway through the year, thank God, but by then the damage had already been done; save for her successor in the second half of the year and one class I had in high school, I couldn't shake my negative perception of math teachers because after having her I ended up noticing that most of them were jerks or incompetent (or both, in the worst cases)

not fun
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.

It is surprisingly applicable in group theory, though I no longer remember why or how.

the simple abelian groups are the prime-order cyclic groups, and all finite abelian groups are direct sums (cartesian products i guess) of prime-power-order cyclic groups (fun fact: the usual proof of this also works to show jordan normal form)
  • Tre said:

I learned it in sixth grade, with a math and science teacher who hated me and confiscated my sunglasses on my birthday because she said I was being disruptive

she left halfway through the year, thank God, but by then the damage had already been done; save for her successor in the second half of the year and one class I had in high school, I couldn't shake my negative perception of math teachers because after having her I ended up noticing that most of them were jerks or incompetent (or both, in the worst cases)

not fun

There is no greater evil than bad teachers, and especially bad math teachers

The whole system of teaching math is borked, but nobody knows how to fix it, so here we bloody are.
    Calica said:

It is surprisingly applicable in group theory, though I no longer remember why or how.

the simple abelian groups are the prime-order cyclic groups, and all finite abelian groups are direct sums (cartesian products i guess) of prime-power-order cyclic groups (fun fact: the usual proof of this also works to show jordan normal form)
    Ah, right. You break down the order of a group into prime factors, take a note of the exponent of each prime, and then you check each prime to see if they work under the Sylow theorems. P, P^2, P^3...P^n, and then QP, QP^2 and so on and so forth. And then you check the possible subgroups that can emerge from them, and see whether their combined orders exceeds the order of the group. And that either determines a group is simple or isn't simple.

...fun fact, I failed the first question of my first midterm for group theory specifically because I didn't know whether that test proves or disproves simplicity. 
  • I vaguely remember hating Jordan normal forms. 

Honestly, anything with matrices is just trouble. I have no idea how I (possibly) finished the math major without getting a handle on them.
  • kill living beings
    because matrices are fucking bullshit that's why

fucking number rectangles

do i look like a computer to you, mr rodrigo? do i?? huh?????!!!!
  • edited 2017-01-05 17:39:55
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    The Freestyle Coke here is much less awful than in Colorado
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Jane said:

that's how the film's name is stylized, looks like

oh fuck off (not you, the people who named the film)
    Anonus said:

Jane said:

why did you type a capital W as two capital Vs

in addition to what @Klinotaxis said, you know how Spanish calls the letter "doble-ve?"
    I have heard that yes
    Up until sometime in the late 1600s/early 1700s, w was most often printed as vv, or before that, uu (as u was spelled v quite often). The reforms in question also coincided with the disappearance of þ, and the gradual phasing out of ſ. The film takes place in Puritan New England prior to and during the witch trial period, so the stylisation is meant to invoke the fonts of the period, and indeed the posters are in what appears to be a 17th century Garamond or some such.

Interestingly, up until the 1500s, w was often indicated with Ƿ, a runic symbol which was used interchangeably with uu in Old through Late Middle English and used distinctly from it in Old Welsh, in which the former was a consonant and the latter was a vowel distinct from u. This is why w is both a vowel and a consonant in Modern Welsh, Cornish, and I think Breton, for the record. (The uu ligature also appeared in Latin and Old French texts, naturally, which aside from the similarity of Ƿ to þ, is probably a big part of why that form prevailed.)
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    It kind of fits with the film being a crazy devoted attempt to accurately portray Puritan life as Puritans probably viewed it

Every other frame in that movie contains something Puritans believed to be a sign of witchcraft
    Freestyle Coke just sounds like Coke that's getting ready to drop some sick beats.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    ...do they not have Freestyle machines in England?
  • I'm registered for classes now

nice
  • of course out of the three courses I'm in only one (art history) is directly related to my major

but w/e
    Odradek said:

It kind of fits with the film being a crazy devoted attempt to accurately portray Puritan life as Puritans probably viewed it

Every other frame in that movie contains something Puritans believed to be a sign of witchcraft
    Precisely. It's almost obsessively accurate so as to immerse the viewer in the mindset of its protagonists and use the beliefs and fears of the time and place as the sort of source of horror that those people would have seen them as.
  • edited 2017-01-05 17:56:49
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    And yes, I went on that rant as an excuse to talk about dialect and orthography because that's one of my weird ambiguously autistic fixations and I rarely have an excuse to indulge myself where it feels appropriate and legitimately informative.

I also wish those letters were still a thing in English. >->

...do they not have Freestyle machines in England?

Apparently we do, but only in Burger Kings and Five Guys in London.
  • ur a silly boy
  • edited 2017-01-05 18:00:07
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Tamlin said:

ur a silly boy

I know. u-u

Since my novel-thing setting permits room for wild speculation I am totally having at least one character who speaks in a dialect of English oriented around old Northwest Germanic rules like rampant split infinitives and the absence of do and pluralising things with -en.
  • And yes, I went on that rant as an excuse to talk about dialect and orthography because that's one of my weird ambiguously autistic fixations and I rarely have an excuse to indulge myself where it feels appropriate and legitimately informative.

I also wish those letters were still a thing in English. >->

anything's a good excuse to talk about English orthography

and I wish so as well
    I tried rewriting that sentence using a mix of pre-modern English and Scottish grammar and it was hard to not sound stereotypically Shakespearean or pirate-y, so I'll need practice...
    AU where Shakespeare is renowned as the dread pirate king, Captain Spearshaker.
    Tamlin said:

of course out of the three courses I'm in only one (art history) is directly related to my major

but w/e

Naney's major is Cat Photography
    Funny thing: The difference between -eth and -s as the ending for third-person verb forms was predominantly dialectal, but in certain cases it also indicated, well, different cases. Like genitive and whatnot. This was mostly lost in Middle English.

A lot of other weird Old English stuff stuck around, though: Some Black Country folk still do the whole -en plural thing.
  • kill living beings
    also hackers, for reasons i can't even imagine
  • edited 2017-01-05 18:24:02
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    The main dialectal stuff down 'ere is that we 'ave a severe allergy to 'aitches, and we're still rhotic.
  • exciting life update: chick fil a is delicious OwO;;
  • kill living beings
    very nearly locked myself out of my bank account for not remembering what i put as the name of my first crush, thank you weird security practices for this enlightening experience

The main dialectal stuff down 'ere is that we 'ave a severe allergy to 'aitches, and we're still rhotic.

My people.
    Tamlin said:

exciting life update: chick fil a is delicious OwO;;

Sad but true.
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god

continuing this theme of my being an enormous hick, my mom just told me that she was delayed getting into school because someone tried to push a fallen tree off the road with their truck

...and the most mysterious part of the story is that they would do this stupid thing instead of haul it normally or pull out a chainsaw

If it is as cold there as it is here... I honestly don't even blame that guy for giving it a shot. 
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    Stay in nice warm truck and attempt to push tree, or go out into the frozen wilderness to freeze your face off while traditionally hauling or chainsawing that sucker? Not a hard choice when it is negative 8 degrees in the morning!
    It's actually funny, cause if I say h as a standalone letter, I pronounce it haitch. If I say it in a sentence, the h suddenly goes on holiday.

Saying it that way makes more sense though
  • kill living beings

Stay in nice warm truck and attempt to push tree, or go out into the frozen wilderness to freeze your face off while traditionally hauling or chainsawing that sucker? Not a hard choice when it is negative 8 degrees in the morning!

no i mean i'm surprised that they didn't just have chains or a chainsaw in the truck already
    is keeping chainsaws in your car normal around there
    I keep two
  • kill living beings

is keeping chainsaws in your car normal around there

not normal but not abnormal either. lot of the population is loggers, for one.
  • *pokes head into thread*
    what's up Tools
  • edited 2017-01-05 21:09:07
    ಠ_ಠ
    Nothing much. Been revising for my exams. Who knew that training to be a forensic scienctist meant having to actually learn how the legal system works.
    >implying the legal system works
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Centie and I saw Sing

It was fun
    Glad y'all had fun.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    It's full of pop songs I like, too!
  • edited 2017-01-05 21:33:46
    ಠ_ಠ
    I've also been binge reading webcomics