Anime

Comments

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    man, it's been so long, i barely remember auditors. i guess you mean her little speech about order or whatever it was. i can see it.

the little speech of hers that freaked me out (without being an abuse of her... abilities... such as they are) is i think later though, when she implies things relating to herself and the second scariest thing in the franchise
    I mean her little spiel about how her job is "punishing liars" right after we got Gaen's explanation of what that horrible apparition-eating void thing was, the obvious implication being that Ougi is "the darkness." Which is, I think, what we're both talking about here.

...what's the scariest thing in the franchise, though, if Ougi literally erasing people isn't it?
  • edited 2016-10-15 07:33:42
    kill living beings
    no, you get me. i meant that she was the scariest and the darkness is second scariest. even if they aren't actually distinct.

ougi does more things than that though.

imagine me shifty eyed
    Oh dear.

She really is Best Worst Girl.

Or at least in a tie with Snake-God Nadeko, who I would totally be for Hallowe'en here if it weren't for the fact that it would spoil at least one of the best arcs in the series.
  • kill living beings
    plus you'd have to dress up like a thirteen year old girl.
    I mean, I've made it known already that I am drawn to and strongly identify with small, vaguely feminine characters who can and will completely wreck one's shit, and the "scary eyes" theme has already been established with [Spoiler Character] up top and Wolf!Darcia before her, and I was previously considering Pitou in full murder mode...

Wow, I really do tend to have spoiler-y avvies. >->;
  • edited 2016-10-15 08:29:22
    kill living beings
    Either one of them would work. They're both sufficiently alarming. It's just that one is significantly more existentially terrifying than the other, but also less proactive and blatantly capricious.
  • edited 2016-10-15 08:41:37
    kill living beings
    ougi is probably the second scariest anime character in my mind. first is lain (shit-eating grin edition), who made me cry. i'm weak against spiritual attacks.
    Yeah, those two are pretty high up there.
  • one of the few shows I'd actually recommend reading the /r/anime discussion threads for. Huge spoilers if you're not caught up obviously.

But there's a lot of neat little references and the entire thing is crammed with symbolism and what looks like foreshadowing but obviously we won't know that until the foreshadowed things happen.
    I think I've figured out why I'm so hooked on Guitary: It's exactly the kind of story I want to write, if not in particulars so much as construction and conception. It's a structurally sophisticated dark fantasy story populated with witty, ill-behaved misfits where all the most important events are driven by dialogue and interpersonal relationships, external reality is all but defined by subjective perception and interior logic, how the world seems changes wildly depending on the primary point of view, and what action occurs tends to be loaded with symbolism and fewer cool displays of mad skills than folks getting wailed on in really disturbing ways.
  • kill living beings
    turn a gundam (practically ancient, i know) is pretty good

colonialism is bad mmkay. even if it's some israel moon thing

plus they keep making the gundam do random shit like catching cows or an impromptu washing machine and it's great
    I really want to watch that one but apparently it requires context and that means watching more than one other Gundam and I'm not sure when I'll have the time to do that.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    theres a horse gundam
    its piloted by a horse

the horse gundam is ridden by another gundam
    That's bizarre and yet terribly charming.
  • kill living beings

apparently it requires context

nah man i've only seen ibo which is a weird gundam i guess

i mean you probably wouldn't go "oh, that guy's Char" or anything but it's not like that's important, his character is established in-show too

and canon nerd shit wise it is certainly independent
    Though I believe that is G Gundam

i mean you probably wouldn't go "oh, that guy's Char" or anything but it's not like that's important, his character is established in-show too

I dunno, I've heard that while it's not necessary to have seen any others to enjoy it, having seen certain others makes the overall experience more rewarding once you reach the end. I've been meaning to watch War in the Pocket because it's pretty and one or two others as well anyway, so.
  • kill living beings
    yeah g gundam is horse gundam

turn a is relatively down to earth. people care about things like hospital sanitation.
  • kill living beings

"fire" said:

I dunno, I've heard that while it's not necessary to have seen any others to enjoy it, having seen certain others makes the overall experience more rewarding once you reach the end. I've been meaning to watch War in the Pocket because it's pretty and one or two others as well anyway, so.
    meaning like... i'm not sure how to articulate what i am thinking. some kind of payoff based on gundam roles, like getting more out of the lion king if you know hamlet?
    Well you see, The Lion King is actually more like Henry IV
  • edited 2016-10-20 04:23:25

I'll have to make a note to watch War in the Pocket, which reminds me, I really need to get around to watching 8th MS Team.
  • 08th MS Team is pretty great. I remember absolutely hating War in the Pocket when I watched it, but it's possible I'd feel different now.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit

best anime
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Was only a matter of time.
    Kariu is such a wonderful character, easily the highlight of ReLIFE throughout (sorry not sorry Nitya). Sadly I'm in that state where I can't cohesively write about something but I absolutely will once I get the chance. Now to catch up on the manga sometime after I catch up on Tower of God!
    Crystal.

Why does this Love Live!! song have a slam in it.

Because that's a fucking slam. A brutal death metal slam. In the middle of a Love Live!! song.
  • that's like asking why every single Teekyuu theme fucking bangs, it's just how life goes
  • edited 2016-10-23 08:35:06
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    At 1:50 it turns into something out of a fucking Devourment track minus the pig squeals. It even has the insane vocal echo. I get why it's a melodeath track, because this is Japan and melodeath is fucking huge in Japan, but that doesn't explain the slam, let alone why it's heavy as fuck.

As is the breakdown at the end. Which is also something.
  • the actual answer is probably "some producer behind the scenes is a metalhead and thought it would be cool / funny to sneak some into the show he was working on"
  • kill living beings
    doki doki doki
  • edited 2016-10-23 08:40:05
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Japan *is* the place where all the slam/deathcore bands that aren't from Texas or, like, Nizhniy Novgorod come from.
  • kill living beings
    composed and arranged by kawada takao, who according to anidb has done songs for dozens of anime, none of which i have seen, but are probably not all metal
  • it's got that slam riffing but the way its fit into the track it's a breakdown

especially with the gratuitous echo vox and the drum sound it has strong 2010 bdm-influenced deathcore vibes? that's totally something Whitechapel would do.
  • especially because the drums aren't strongly interacting with what the guitar is doing there

like your standard slam is (music going full blast) => (sudden, lurching tempo change without a lot of buildup, drums closely follow what the guitar is doing) => (drummer starts doing the double kick drum again at the slower tempo while that same slower riff repeats)

whereas the standard formula breakdown is like (everything stops) => (vocal or guitar lead in) => (blast beat at a slower tempo with a chunky riff), which is definitely what was going on there, just with a more old-school flavored riff

so like, I guess the moral of the story is that a slam is kinda like a subset of breakdowns? regardless, it is an amusing thing to hear in a silly idol anime song
  • I feel like the weirder parts of metal kinda exist in their own universe away from other music.
  • now I think I have just confused myself
    ^^^ The snares are definitely mirroring the guitar pattern in the chugging lead-in, which I think adds to the slamminess, but in terms of its function in the song it is closer to a conventional breakdown, so yes, that makes sense. But I think you can understand why I went "WHAT?!" at this silliness.

There's also a second breakdown/slowdown at the end which is a bit more straightforward (more giant chunky riffs, less midtempo chugging) yet only slightly less alarming, so there was that.
  • kill living beings
    i'm laughing.
    That's great.
    Oh wow.

You can tell when they switched from Oishi to Itamura in terms of managing directors at the beginning of the series and I wonder what Kizumonogatari will feel like with that in mind.
  • Finally getting around to watch Nekomonogatari. Man, I forgot how very distinct Shinbo's style is.
  • And now an Ashita no Joe reference. Wasn't expecting that.
  • "Well done for lasting this long"
    "Thank you"
    "Now it gets Serious"

Well, that's ominous.
    Yeah, the first episode of Neko is like an escaped Nise episode of the more frivolous variety, and then the tone change happens and it's even darker than "Tsubasa Cat".
  • Yeah, the first episode of Neko is like an escaped Nise episode of the more frivolous variety, and then the tone change happens and it's even darker than "Tsubasa Cat".

Yeah, no kidding. I'm almost done with the 4th episode now. Man, I forgot how brutal this show can get.
    Spoiler:
    Just, that scene of Araragi getting punched in half.
    Also watching Neko has reminded me of how much I enjoy Meme Oshino.
    Meme is pretty great, yes. He's sort of a crucial absence in Second Season, but his one quasi-appearance is pretty fun.
  • been meaning to read the manga for a while, so I did

it's like a romantic drama with a cast full of Shiori Takatsukis