Anime

Comments

• Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Creamer's recent article on this season's Girlish Number almost entirely sums up why I adore this show, and really, I guess I'll leave it at that. Anything more and I'm repeating myself.

Okay, I'm only one episode into Hitagi End and It might already be my new favorite guitary arc.
  • kill living beings
    Honestly that entire joke is incredible.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^^ It's pretty awesome, yeah.
  • edited 2016-11-20 07:30:54
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Gulliver Boy looks really fun (if very, very goofy and '90s, but that's part of the charm) but only nine out of fifty episodes seem to be fansubbed in English. If anyone can find me the whole thing, I would be extremely grateful.

Why must I hit brick walls with things like this? =~=
    ... Ooh, that looks aesthetically pleasing in a way I find difficult to articulate, and thus will save for later (possibly tomorrow). So thanks for bringing it to my attention.
  • edited 2016-11-22 19:53:55
    kill living beings

this is kind of random but i really like that the leads in www.working have no chemistry whatsoever. in the OP they're all blushing and shit but in the actual show they just kind of vacillate between friendly coworkers and mildly antipathic coworkers. more neutral for the neutral god

This has continued to incredible heights

She told me to think more about your feelings or whatever
  • Honestly that entire joke is incredible.

It really is.

Also, on episode 5 of Hitagi End and it's definitely my favorite arc so far. Having Kaiki as the focus character is probably the best thing that's happened so far.
  • kill living beings
    Duet op is good too

Relatedly, i tried wasting my crunchyroll subscription by watching nisekoi, and i was like "wow, this looks like monogatari minus the word cuts" and then i check the director and go figure

Honestly that entire joke is incredible.

It really is.

Also, on episode 5 of Hitagi End and it's definitely my favorite arc so far. Having Kaiki as the focus character is probably the best thing that's happened so far.
    Kaiki is a fucking A+ protagonist.

Duet op is good too

Relatedly, i tried wasting my crunchyroll subscription by watching nisekoi, and i was like "wow, this looks like monogatari minus the word cuts" and then i check the director and go figure

He's basically SHAFT's house director now and most of their regular staff are his protégés, so it's natural that their big shows are going to look very Shinbo even when Shinbo himself is mainly in a quality control position.

(Some notable Shinbo acolytes: The series composer for Flying Witch and the guy who directs basically every non-YKA Silverlink show.)
  • kill living beings
    Im not used to recognizing things like that but its so obvious

Oh, here's a closeup of part of someone's face that's animated instead of still

Here's some crazy ass architecture

This is so bright
  • edited 2016-11-23 05:54:56
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I've received the impression that the plot of Nisekoi is pretty bad but the direction is good. Apparently Shinbo shares composition credits on it with Fuyashi Tou, who also has scripted or co-scripted all of the Guitary series thus far, and the subsidiary director (Naoyuki Tatsuwa) served the same role on Katte ni Kaizou, which is another* Koji Kumeta adaptation and is apparently pretty all right.

*(Kumeta is not responsible for Nisekoi, to be clear.)
  • meow meow meowtherfuckers
    yuri is tsun and ridiculously girly, wow
    also i finally finished re:zero after all this time and. yep. that sure was an anime alright
    Yurio is endearing.

I liked R:Z overall but it definitely wasn't without its low points.
  • meow meow meowtherfuckers
    nah i def liked it overall, i wouldn't have sat through 25 episodes if i didn't

it just definitely had its low points, haha
    It's kind of sad, the things I liked the most weren't really the direction the show wanted to go in, or at least not as much, like on... any level? Take the whales for example, which had a seriously legit introduction that actually gave me goosebumps a little. But the whole, well, exaggerated anime stylings of it all really brought it down from (trying to be, least for me) psychologically imposing to (neat) action setpieces. And the terror Subaru faced during the "Who is Rem?" segments which, though it was a good while so I'm not entirely clear on why, really didn't work for me and felt... not half-baked, but not all there because Subaru is Subaru is Subaru.
  • Duet op is good too

Definitely. It great how in character Kaiki's VA manges to stay while singing.

I've received the impression that the plot of Nisekoi is pretty bad but the direction is good. Apparently Shinbo shares composition credits on it with Fuyashi Tou, who also has scripted or co-scripted all of the Guitary series thus far, and the subsidiary director (Naoyuki Tatsuwa) served the same role on Katte ni Kaizou, which is another* Koji Kumeta adaptation and is apparently pretty all right.

*(Kumeta is not responsible for Nisekoi, to be clear.)

I wouldn't necessarily call it bad, but it's definitely not great. Pretty run of the mill romance with a few good moments.

Finished episode 5 of Hitagi End. Knew that was gonna happen, but it was still good.
  • Finished Hitagi End. Definitely my favorite arc so far. Also, those last 4 minutes.
    One of these days I want to go back through all of Pokemon: Indigo League.
  • Also, finally got around to starting WWW.Working.

"First, about punching the manager...He's got a glass jaw."
    Epitome said:

yuri is tsun and ridiculously girly, wow

This character is attractive.

Not much else to say about that.

...I should start Owarimonogatari.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
  • I mean, like, urban fantasy! Literary character mashups! Existential angst!

But why does the plot make no sense
  • (It's really pretty though)
    ANN said:

The staff also stated [Spoilers, highlight to read: Lelouch himself from the previous anime, and not an alternate dimension version or clone, will be in the new project.]

I'm so hype (yes the spoiler is exactly what you'd expect, I just wanted to copy their formatting).
    Also a new episode of Gakuen Handsome is up, but I'll probably wait to watch it after it's all finished.
    It's lit.
    This episode of JJBA DIU is hecked up. It hecked me up.
    Yo folks you know how I've been almost-raving about Pokemon: XY? Well SuMo is even better I can't even deal folks.

I mean that isn't the first two episodes, or the four that are, but sweet mercy it is taking me back and then some.
    Crystal said:

imageimageimageimage

At this point Gainax's market value is probably low enough that Khara could buy them out, but I doubt that will happen.
  • edited 2016-12-03 17:50:53
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the Eva IP got sold off to Khara like the FLCL IP got sold off to Production I.G.

On that note, I'm kinda wondering why Trigger hasn't tried to buy the TTGL and P&S IPs from Gainax.
  • Man fuck 2016
  • I wouldn't be surprised if the Eva IP got sold off to Khara like the FLCL IP got sold off to Production I.G.

On that note, I'm kinda wondering why Trigger hasn't tried to buy the TTGL and P&S IPs from Gainax.

cuz they have better IPs and own them already also they're not exactly rich afaik

Yeah, I was mostly saying that because I know Imiashi wanted to do more P&S, and you would think he would try to make that happen.
  • what is that second to last one that's unlabeled? I like the thumbnail

anyway idk, maybe I'll actually keep up with something this season. I still haven't caught up with Flip-Flappers T_T;
  • kill living beings
    akiba's trip. ok

masamune revenge is kind of a funny comic. as is fuuka, demi-chan, maid dragon (maybe they toned down the boobs a little), and a bit more galko

but who gives a shit about any of that. LWA, baby
  • edited 2016-12-03 21:18:37
    kill living beings
    Jane said:

what is that second to last one that's unlabeled? I like the thumbnail

if you mean on the very bottom, with the purple hair, i think that might be fuuka
  • Jane said:

if you mean on the very bottom, with the purple hair, i think that might be fuuka
    Fuuka what

but who gives a shit about any of that. LWA, baby

hell yeah fuckin right

[also I know of no anime in which the boobs were toned down, compared to the manga]
    More of that Choujuu-giga adaptation I have yet to get around to! And more Rakugo Shinjuu, which I also need to get around to! And that one show everyone else is probably hype about! 0w0

Buuuuut pretty much nothing else of interest. Except the last Kizumonogatari movie. That's a pretty big deal. And a new Lupin thing. But those aren't serial affairs, technically.
  • kill living beings
    Jane said:

Jane said:

Fuuka what
    one of the animes listed higher up. about a nerd joining a band
    Jane said:

[also I know of no anime in which the boobs were toned down, compared to the manga]

that's fair but they're kind of extreme, and the picture there looks like a saner body shape already
  • also:

oh no they're making another season of Ai Mai Me, the prototeekyu.

why is one of these called I Am Italian

More of that Choujuu-giga adaptation I have yet to get around to! And more Rakugo Shinjuu, which I also need to get around to! And that one show everyone else is probably hype about! 0w0

Buuuuut pretty much nothing else of interest. Except the last Kizumonogatari movie. That's a pretty big deal. And a new Lupin thing. But those aren't serial affairs, technically.

That Lupin is apparently a sorta-sequel to The Gravestone of Daisuke Jigen, which in turn is a sorta-sequel to The Woman Called Fujiko Mine.

Those films aren't super-high on my priority list because Sayo Yamamoto isn't involved, but Lupin stuff tends to retain a high standard of quality, so...

(Also, I'm all-in on LWA, but I think that almost goes without saying.)
  • edited 2016-12-03 21:42:50
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Will watch: LWA, Konosuba S2, Idol Jihen (sticking around is potentially questionable but I do like my aidoru girls), Kuzu no Honaki, Demi-chan (sticking around is more questionable), ACCA (same).

Might check out: Fuuka, Youjo Senki (depends on how the off-putting art style looks animated, and other stuff), Maid Dragon.

Related to stuff I like but can't or won't bother just yet: Oso-san OVA (I enjoy the series enough but not that much), Galko-chan (same), Kizu III (behind), Rakugo Shinjuu (haven't started), Akatsuki no Yona OVA (haven't started), Kubikiri Cycle (same).

All-in-all, it looks like a far less busy season for me, not that I mind that.
  • should I just make the LWA thread now, or
    I think we already have one?