Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life

Don't know it.

Part 4 of JJBA
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    CarnEvil said:

Don't know it.

Part 4 of JJBA
    I meant to type, "Don't I know it." As in, "I really need to watch Diamond is Unbreakable."
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    See I thought that but you totally gave me the chance for some dank memes, I can't pass that up.
    Also MSG IBO S2 is coming to Crunchy on the 9th, and various other streaming sites earlier than that, like Hulu for American people on 10/2.
    Second Season!Guitary is off to a good start. The second episode was remarkably sweet, and the fact that the only real fanservice bit, while ridiculous, was clearly *supposed* to be ridiculous was refreshing.

Also:
    Spoiler:
    Hanekawa: "What do your parents do?"
    Karen and Tsukihi: "They're police officers! :D"

That makes too much sense and I fucking lost it.
  • edited 2016-10-02 23:38:51
    kill living beings
    i don't remember the parentals being super relevant until way later in sodachi riddle, though mother algae shows up before that once or twice.

it's defs why algae is such a dork though.
    WWWW.Working!! is a cute show with a lovable cast, and entertaining enough.
    Show By Rock!! is incredibly fun, super-colorful chaos and I am glad I picked this up.
    S8 of A Certain Tennis Anime begins today, for those unaware.
    You mean Speedcore Cocaine Anime? Good.
    You know it.
    I am going to shotgun whole seasons of that show when I next get the chance. It will be glorious.
    Yeah that's how I'll be handling it too. I'd say "also with alcohol" but it'd be over by the time I got even a little bit tipsy.

Meanwhile, Matoi the Sacred Slayer is not all there for me, which is sad. Still, of the two magical girl shows that I wanted to be entertaining and worth the time, at least Magical Girl Raising Project is looking more promising on the whole. Anyway I appreciate the family and character focus with Matoi, her friend, and her father, which worked fine enough with them all working together at the shrine. The characters are all super expressive too, and the actual magical girl action scene was gorgeous. On the flip side it's actually kinda creepy only an episode in, and also filled with its fair share of fanservice. I expect to keep up with it anyway out of charitably, liking the art and animation, and hoping it can be more my thing later on. Time will tell I guess.
    Guys I really really like Yuri!!! on Ice it may not have yuri but it has a precious Yuri leading, and it's going to be a hecka fun ride for me.
    Second best girl is still pretty great, definitely improved from being animated.
  • edited 2016-10-06 23:12:22
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    imageimageimage
    Keijo!!!!!!!! is good actually.
    Keijo is also the name of a Finnish improviser of some note, incidentally.
    I am not big on improv but that is cool and I am glad I know.
    Yeah, this dude. Cult psych-rock/experimental musician. Shares his full name with a historian and a novelist, curiously enough.
  • kill living beings
    and with a butt anime
    I mean his full name: Keijo Virtanen.
    Well yes.
    and with a butt anime
    There is only one butt anime and that is Butt Attack Punisher Girl Gautaman.

Yes, that's a real thing.

Clearly I need to watch that too.
    It is apparently transcendently stupid.

Also, watch Garzey's Wing. It will put all other stupid anime in perspective and enrich your life.
    It was on my list before even being brought up here. Caught glimmers and hints of it just haven't forced myself to watch it through yet.
    I swear, it was one of the best HH Anime Club recs I've made yet.
  • Does anyone know if Karin appears in Puzzle & Dragons X?
  • Which Karin? There are many, many Karins out there. :V
    Going by this, a tentative no.
  • Karin the dragon girl, from the Puzzle & Dragons game, of course! I know that Karin Kikuhara and Karin Miyoshi have nothing to do with this already. :P
  • Nah. Clearly you mean Karin Kanzuki. Don't lie to me Glenn. :v
    Flippy floppies is such a good show you guys.
    Janey please watch Flip Flappers, I think you'll enjoy it a lot and also I'm too tired to go into a ramble about how fun it is.
    So apparently all the department directors on that show are really talented episode directors, storyboard artists and key animators, and everything I've seen of it looks really pretty, so... the animation geek in me might make me watch it.
    Yes.
    Drifters is acceptable if not entirely my thing. I often get a fairly serious personal disconnect when checking out audiovisual stories with a heavy focus on military violence. It's not to the point of being damning, in general or for this show, as the combat was pretty nicely done and really seemed like a fitting hot mess of moving parts and people. Which I think may be one of the reasons why I'm so mixed on these shows: I find it difficult to not even connect, but be engaged by characters defined by their violence surrounded by others defined by their violence. It worked well enough for me with Hellsing because the comedy was relatively sparse, it moved from one segment of gore to the next relatively adequately, and it often had very propulsive directing and/or framing. After awhile even all the carnage caused by the Major just began to feel like bloody white noise.

I don't really mind the threadbare plot because I never expected any less, with how well known Hirano is for his gory antics. Not exactly expecting the most compelling plot here beyond the basic fundamentals, which it delivered adequately. However, I'm beginning to think that too often this sort of ultraviolence or war-focused media is coupled with cliches or story components which don't do much for me on their own or with most other methods of telling a story. Like, I enjoy MSG IBO because, among several other reasons, the characters already feel like people rather than facsimiles thereof (I do not want to say puppets as I like puppets too much), and there's a careful mix of politically-focused drama and carnage alongside the arguably plainer robot smashing.

About a third of Drifters' first episode is like that, after which is a functional transition into the world clearly being some mix of various people like that historical man, and then the exposition which proceeds to explain what the random elves and Yoichi hinting at pretty much already established (click those links @Section42L). Which I wouldn't actually mind that much if not for the fact that their playing off of each other is mostly insults - insults expressed through a slew of tone- and aesthetic-breaking deformed cuts, when something like continued aggressive staring or such would fare better. So, the boring kind, which I hope changes as I find anti-heroes fighting amongst themselves to be entertaining in its own right.

The animation was pretty snazzy though, and if it keeps up like this I could see it being an acceptable thing to turn your brain off to and just enjoy the gratuitous violence. Really that absurdity in the first link was more entertaining than all of the barbs traded later on, with Toyohisa pulling a "Fool! I meant to get maimed, you have fallen into my trap!" before blasting some guy and walking off bloodied. Otherwise, I don't know, it's difficult for me to recommend, but my biases are relatively clear and if you're not like me, then it's pretty easy to infer from there.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Links clicked!

Not bad.
  • meow meow meowtherfuckers

just watch Flip-Flappers, all of you.

no
    Yes.
  • Epitome did already, which is the joke.
    My comment stands.
    actually actually since i'm here

should i, a noted gay woman, watch Yuri on Ice, a series notably devoid of gay women
    Yes.

Because Sayo Yamamoto.
    does it have anything in common with the works she's known for, though? it doesn't seem quite as flashy
    It's about figure skating. Consider the kind of animation she's known for, particularly how her work *moves.* It is going to be gorgeous, if nothing else.
    Yeah, the figure skating was out-and-out amazing, and flashy in its own right, never mind the consistent fluidity of it all.
    hmmm

i still have not finished flying witch and luluco b/c i'm a terrible person. i still need to watch amanchu...i'll wait for a couple more eps of figure skating boys before i add it to my list. the animation does look gr8 tho