General Video Game Thread

Comments

• Can you tell us more about thus game, and why/how you feel it really affected your life? *is curious*
  • Serocco3 said:

Talking about old games makes me wonder what were the first games you ever played?

I think it was old school Atari games, like Tron, for me.

I'm surely dating myself by sharing this, but the first game I ever remember playing was "Hunt The Wumpus" on a Texas Instruments home computer. "Donkey Kong" too, around the same time period.
    I am the same age as Mega Man, Castlevania, Final Fantasy, and Metroid.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I'd happily take the gift!
  • topquoting
    SF_Sorrow said:

so come Monday, it's gonna be one year since one of the most life-changing games I've ever played was first released

I'm offering to gift it to anyone who's interested (either on Steam or on the link provided, which has the nice advantage of being able to be played on mobile) 'cause it really deserves to have a bigger presence, both here and in general

Can you tell us more about thus game, and why/how you feel it really affected your life? *is curious*

it's a visual novel that's fairly short (~2-3 hours to complete everything) but it makes for one of the most emotionally devastating storytelling/character writing I've ever seen

the story is summarized in the link above, three teenagesrs in a Christian summer camp are sent to a cabin to take on the supposed "Devil", and throughout there's all sorts of allegories and symbolism for themes of isolation and being outcasted, the question of what is good and evil, and repression (especially of the queer kind)

it's all wrapped in the context of living under religious, particularly Christian fundamentalism so it's quite cathartic if you're familiar with that kind of experience - though, I'm not personally and it still managed to fuck me up good

also @Crystal, I assume you want it in Steam, correct? :o
  • Serocco3 said:

Talking about old games makes me wonder what were the first games you ever played?

My introduction to video games was through a baseball friend whose dad was an IT guy in the mid 90s, so the first games I can really remember were Diablo and Warcraft 1, Mega Man X and Virtua Fighter 2.
  • Serocco3 said:

I'm surely dating myself by sharing this, but the first game I ever remember playing was "Hunt The Wumpus" on a Texas Instruments home computer. "Donkey Kong" too, around the same time period.
    I didn't start with those, but I remember them fondly from when I was in like seventh grade or so. (Well, the Mega Man games and Castlevania III anyway. Missed out on playing the other two when they were released.) Great memories of the NES, SNES and the games that came with them.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Crystal said:

Me too. :3
  • Serocco3 said:

I didn't start with those, but I remember them fondly from when I was in like seventh grade or so. (Well, the Mega Man games and Castlevania III anyway. Missed out on playing the other two when they were released.) Great memories of the NES, SNES and the games that came with them.
    I didn't start with them -- I started with Mario, got into Metroid at around age 6?, Mega Man when I was around 8 or 9 years old, Final Fantasy when I was 14, and Castlevania when I was around 17.

It's just that they all originally debuted in around 1986.
  • Crystal said:

Me too. :3
    sent~

hopefully it can play on your browser on mobile or your compy :o
  • SF_Sorrow said:

I'm offering to gift it to anyone who's interested (either on Steam or on the link provided, which has the nice advantage of being able to be played on mobile) 'cause it really deserves to have a bigger presence, both here and in general

20% off on Steam this week >_>
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
  • I haven't played any Pokémon games past Gen III since I don't have a DS but I still love all of them ;3;
    i was never into pokémon
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Aside from a vague interest in the Mystery Dungeon games, my own interest in the franchise is purely aesthetic. I mean, Sylveon is just #goals incarnate.
    my own interest is aesthetic, at least when Pokémon stuff comes to my attention
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Anonus said:
    I like that it took doggies to get you interested
    they're cute doggies
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Square Enix have trademarked the name Stormblood. Speculation is that it's FFXIV 4.0, since the next expansion is being announced next month and it's been heavily implied to be water based.
  • I know Ranked Fights will fill me with salt. Yet I continue to flock to it. :T
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-09-28 07:23:32
    I'm very nearly done with Ys Origin for good.  Went ahead and polished off Toal EX's story and boss rush (several bosses down on first try, including Kishgal!), then ground up enough SP to fight Pikkardon.  He's really not difficult -- I came into the fight completely blind on Nightmare and beat him on like the third try.  I was using Hugo and abusing shield, then Burst + lasers, but I get the feeling Toal would pretty much murder him.

All that's left is a few more million SP for the last unlockable and that's all folks.  Almost 200 hours logged across many, many playthroughs since 2012.

EDIT: ROFL.  I just watched the time attack record for that boss on Youtube and apparently Hugo can perpetually hitstun him with boosted fire wheel.

Also have this.

• wait there's a superboss in Ys Origin?
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-09-28 16:39:22
    Yeah, it's in Arena Mode.  You have to beat the game with both versions of all 3 characters.  It shows up in the bonus shop for 2 mil SP.

I wouldn't call him a superboss like Berhardt though.  Just a weird bullet spam hamster like Black Pikkard.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Having achieved 100% items in under two hours in Fusion Metroid, I guess it's time to take it to the next level

the debug menu
    The final raid tier in Heavensward is amazing and I love it. Also the final boss is a giant time stopping robot with angel wings and a clockwork halo, fought in a gear filled Heaven. Which is awesome.
    Also this is his theme.

The final raid tier in Heavensward is amazing and I love it. Also the final boss is a giant time stopping robot with angel wings and a clockwork halo, fought in a gear filled Heaven. Which is awesome.

That sounds amazing.
  • edited 2016-09-28 21:10:20
    Why do i react to descriptions like that by thinking "why does he have angel wings and a clockwork halo and why is heaven filled with gears"?

I mean in-setting of course. I know why flavor-wise.

I guess I just feel too skeptical about spectacle but am willing to accept everything as long as there's some sort of reason?

Anyway, ahh, Alexander. I guess eight games is long enough for a first-time summoned monster to end up with a whole backstory.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-09-29 04:40:36
    Ys Origin 100% complete.  I thought 3 mil. SP would take a while, but it turns out the bonus boss drops 600k on Nightmare, and he's not particularly difficult.  Unfortunately Toal gets wrecked pretty hard because the minions don't hitstun for some reason (knockback, but no hitstun -- which is weird because the boss is the opposite) so any melee attack will get you killed horribly, but Hugo can still mop it up without much issue.

Felghana Adol might be able to pull it off with boost melee, but cleaning up minions will still suck.

So yeah I just killed a bonus boss five times in a row to buy a virtual schoolgirl costume.  Thanks Japan.
  • Bee said:

Ys Origin 100% complete.  I thought 3 mil. SP would take a while, but it turns out the bonus boss drops 600k on Nightmare, and he's not particularly difficult.  Unfortunately Toal gets wrecked pretty hard because the minions don't hitstun for some reason (knockback, but no hitstun -- which is weird because the boss is the opposite) so any melee attack will get you killed horribly, but Hugo can still mop it up without much issue.

Felghana Adol might be able to pull it off with boost melee, but cleaning up minions will still suck.

So yeah I just killed a bonus boss five times in a row to buy a virtual schoolgirl costume.  Thanks Japan.
    This is why Reah stares at you with an expression of disagreeable judgement.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-09-29 05:03:26
    Nah, I'm pretty sure she does that because of that one Mask of Eyes achievement in Ys I.  On the plus side, if I want to make a similar outfit for her sister, I have the appropriate measurements!

Thanks Japan -_-

Why do i react to descriptions like that by thinking "why does he have angel wings and a clockwork halo and why is heaven filled with gears"?

I guess I just feel too skeptical about spectacle but am willing to accept everything as long as there's some sort of reason?

Anyway, ahh, Alexander. I guess eight games is long enough for a first-time summoned monster to end up with a whole backstory.

Because you're fighting inside his soul.
  • Why do i react to descriptions like that by thinking "why does he have angel wings and a clockwork halo and why is heaven filled with gears"?

Because you're fighting inside his soul.
    now everything does make sense
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-09-30 05:35:22
    Started up Ys 6.  I expected it to be rougher than Origin and Felghana, but it's pretty damn rough.  The scaling between areas isn't that great, so you often end up either grinding for a while or doing 1 damage to enemies you're actually supposed to be killing.  For the first third of the game or so you down-stab pretty much everything you can because it's the only way to hurt anything.  There's no bestiary so you have no way of checking what you're supposed to be fighting.  Bosses take forever to kill because you have to air-slash everything and it knocks you back so you don't even get full damage out of it.  Almost nothing hitstuns or telegraphs its attack, and about every other hit knocks you down, so you just get nailed out of nowhere and there's not much you can do about it.  And there's a really annoying critical mechanic where attacks randomly do shit tons of damage -- which is fine when you do it, but it also means enemies will randomly crit you for well over half your HP, and it's always a knockdown.

Also a lot of really screwy timing on stuff.  The secondary attack of the wind sword is a timed combo that almost never works.  The awkward lunge from Origin was used here as a dash-jump mechanic, which is critical to getting some important equipment, but it's still super awkward.

The spell system is a bit wonky.  You charge up each sword separately by using it on enemies, which takes several minutes of continuous use.  At full power, you get one shot.  This is bad, because your fire and thunder spells are the only ranged attacks you have, but there are a lot of enemies that hover out of melee range and spam enough bullets everywhere to make what little terrain you have completely impassable.

I dunno.  This is an interesting trip through the time machine, because as irritating as it is, I can see they paid attention to feedback and tightened up the next two games beautifully.  But at the same time, it really feels at times like the devs forgot to play it with debug off.
    is it true that Mighty No. 9 sucks
    IIRC Glenn thought it was aight, neither the next coming of Satan or the next thing since sliced bread.
    better than bread, not as good as Satan. got it
  • From what I understand it's a mediocre but not really bad Mega Man game.  Fans just kind of threw a shitfit because they wanted a Mega Man game, got one, but forgot exactly what that entailed.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Also the art is pretty ehhhhhh

• is it true that Mighty No. 9 sucks

Every review I've seen has been seriously negative.

Consensus seems to be that if you're really into Mega Man you'll like it well enough but it's not otherwise recommendable.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    From what I understand the main problems are:

The art style is ugly

The voice clips play too much and are annoying

Maybe framerate problems? IDK
    Voice clips are seldom a good thing.

Based on screenshots, the art style seems...ok.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-10-01 00:24:26
    Jane said:

Consensus seems to be that if you're really into Mega Man you'll like it well enough but it's not otherwise recommendable.

Yeah but that goes for just about every Mega Man game since the NES.  Including the first one (especially the first one).

Like, the series revolutionized a lot of gameplay patterns we take for granted today, and I still enjoy going back and whipping out the Anniversary collection every once in a while.  But it really, REALLY hasn't aged well and a lot of the fanbase tends to forget how meh it was to begin with.
    I enjoy Mega Man X, personally
  • Bee said:

Jane said:

Yeah but that goes for just about every Mega Man game since the NES.  Including the first one (especially the first one).

Like, the series revolutionized a lot of gameplay patterns we take for granted today, and I still enjoy going back and whipping out the Anniversary collection every once in a while.  But it really, REALLY hasn't aged well and a lot of the fanbase tends to forget how meh it was to begin with.
    OK but if you don't like Mega Man to begin with you're certainly not going to like "worse-looking knockoff Mega Man", which is all I was getting at.

I'm sure you think the series is Just Terrible and you can think that but it's not what I was talking about, I was just trying to answer the question asked based off of the reviews I read when the game came out because I was kind of interested in it.
  • edited 2016-10-01 01:00:02
    Bee I will fight you over that. >:T

I feel they aged fine enough.
  • Yeah, same.

Haven't played MN9 but it looks a lot floatier and like it just doesn't feel as good to hold in your hands as the originals. It seems a lot less focused.