General Video Game Thread

Comments

• BeeBee
    edited 2016-04-18 19:58:39
    I think I resorted to Utsusemi spam for the first round of elemental dragons.  They just hit way too fucking hard that early on.

It becomes less useful in most other scenarios, since the really scary encounters will either have multiple enemies or can Brave on you.  There's little reason not to use if if you're running a ninja of course, since Utsusemi + Turn Tables is automatically at least a free evade + counter in addition to whatever else you were doing.  It just becomes noticeably less cheese.

One fun combo I found was Ninja/Performer.  All the fun of Utsusemi spam with BP + stat buffs on evade, but with a taunt to make it happen on purpose and Damage Dispersion for the few hits you actually take.

I imagine Swordmaster/Performer would suddenly go from luck-based to incredibly effective in the same manner.
  • Wait, Performer is useful?
  • Indeed it is. Tried it with Ninja. Worked like dream with all those buffs.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-04-19 08:39:17
    Yeah Performer is amazing.  Agnes has been rocking the bunny ears for just about every major encounter since I picked up the job, and I haven't regretted it a single turn.

Back up a Spiritist with a Performer and you can have Stillness up constantly.  Make your other two characters dual Ninja/Vampire faster than the Spiritist and you can trivialize most endgame encounters -- including the jobmaster boss rush.  If you want to be slightly less cheap (or less ponderous) about it, switch the Spiritist for a Templar spamming Rampart -- it's really good for the boss in the bonus dungeon.

Also remember Performers get Buff Up.  If you need a mixed/magic tank, guess who's going to be really, really good at it with constant 150% all stats and a persistent taunt.

Honestly the class that shocked me with surprise usefulness was Merchant.  But it's only good with very specific builds and strategies that have to span your whole party.  Performer makes almost every party build better.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-04-20 02:19:11
    Okay, whoa

I am not ready for Hyrule Warriors Hero Mode

Like I won the first mission and I'm fine with the punishing damage if you screw up

But it was over half an hour of lv50+ Link grinding down absurdly large HP bars, and it wouldn't have been possible without Zelda's OP BBBY arrow rain to cap those keeps in one minute instead of five.

Still, it was all worth it to see those fateful words:

"Hylian Captain defeated Lizalfos!"

I don't think my jaw has ever dropped so far.  The second time it happened I had to pause the game and make sure I was still playing the same one.
  • LWLW
    edited 2016-04-21 03:10:21

Bravely Second has an enemy called "enemy crab" with a "no weak point" ability and a "massive damage" attack.

That's quite the vintage meme.
  • LW said:

Bravely Second has an enemy called "enemy crab" with a "no weak point" ability and a "massive damage" attack.

That's quite the vintage meme.

Bravely Second is based on real Japanese history you know.  And it has real-time weapon changes!
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-04-22 05:42:18
    Skulltula: defeat the secondary boss while keeping all CPU allies above 50% health.

Oh come the fuck on.  This is entirely contingent on how much trouble Darunia decides to walk into at the entrance, and how often King Dodongo decides to let you bomb his mouth instead of repeatedly rolling over him and Ruto.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    some of those skulltulas were painfully hard
  • every time someone says skulltula i think of the metroid fish enemy
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-04-23 00:31:48
    Plus I have to do it with the low-level Giant's Knife instead of the badass 4-star Biggoron's.  Sheik almost drops below half health by the time she becomes playable, because she keeps walking into Deku Babas or something before I can kill all the Lizalfos.  Yay for special spam I guess.

Edit: I did it.  Barely.  Darunia and Ruto were both at almost exactly 50%.  Darunia would've had a bit more slip room, but there was a wave of Assault Troops, and the last one of them dodged past me right as I hit Sheik's special so he got knocked into Darunia instead of away.  Apparently Assault Troops can still nail friendly NPCs even when they're flying helplessly past them through the air with only a few HP left, because fuck you I guess -_-
  • New Star Fox is really good so far, but why didn't they fire the guy who thought on-foot missions were a critical part of it?

At least this time there's a lot more actual flying, plus the on-foot is actually on-mech which always helps.
  • Xenoblade has the best MMO/late 90s/early 2000s-inspired combat style because it fucking lets you move and attack at the same time
  • Funnily enough, I like Metal Gear Rising for the same reason. :U
  • Like seriously moving and attacking was a major thing missing from previous games with similar-ish combat systems

Video games are *good at spatial stuff* guys you don't have to just stick to being a recreation of D&D3.5 with some backstabbing mechanics tossed in
  • I agree with all those words and will condone them if spoken elsewhere. Especially the stress on "good at spacial stuff" because that's one of the major things that separates video games from the (partially) forced abstraction of traditional and tabletop games. 
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i didn't even know there *was* a new Star Fox

i did enjoy being able to exit the vehicle and fight on foot in Star Fox Assault, though
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-04-23 18:32:12
    I feel like it would've worked in Assault if it wasn't done so badly.  I mean I liked the idea of third-person-shooter segments, but the controls were kinda slippery.

Also, I notice Start and Select both do the same thing in Hyrule Warriors.  They rather desperately needed to use Select to scroll past messages, because they queue up long and fast, and key NPCs can die terrifyingly quickly.  More than once, this has happened -- especially on rescue missions.

I save Darunia's dumb ass while he loses East Keep to some saboteurs, and recap it.  I then lose my attack button, as if the mission is over.  The following messages, starting then, display over the next full minute:

Goron Captain retreated!
    Goron Captain: "That's all for me today LOL"
    Lana has captured the Fairy Fountain!
    Keep Saboteurs have appeared!
    Darunia: <inane yammering about shit>
    Darunia is in serious danger!  Immediate aid is required!
    East Keep is in danger!
    Goron Captain is in danger!  (he's way the fuck off alone in enemy territory)
    Goron Captain retreated!
    Goron Captain: "These guys ain't easy!"
    Goron Captain: "That's all for me today LOL"
    Keep Saboteurs are defeated!
    Hylian Captain is in danger!
    Impa: "Ramirez!  Do everything!"
    Goron Captain is in danger!  (inside the Allied base, which is completely clear of red)
    Goron Captain: "These guys ain't easy!"
    East Keep has fallen to enemy forces!
    You aided Darunia!
    Lana has captured East Keep!
    Hylian Captain is in serious danger!  Immediate aid is required!
    Darunia is in danger!
    Hylian captain retreated!
    You failed to protect Hylian Captain!
    DEFEAT

God dammit Darunia and these fucking Gorons aren't even playable or mission-critical here and you're still fucking me over just by being present because your bullshit backlogged the messages so far that a mission-critical NPC went from safe to dead before I could even be notified anything was wrong!
  • Tachyon said:

i didn't even know there *was* a new Star Fox

i did enjoy being able to exit the vehicle and fight on foot in Star Fox Assault, though

Yeah, I barely heard about it until like last week or so. 

It's probably the best integration of the Gamepad yet, which makes it a huge shame that it got delayed until the end of the system's lifetime. Being able to look and aim independently of where you're moving really makes a difference, it singlehandedly fixes all the little things that bothered me about Star Fox 64's gameplay. (I would probably die a lot less if I took advantage of that more.)
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    I am pretty pumped for Supergiant's new game, Pyre. 

• Bee said:

Impa: "Ramirez!  Do everything!"
    Hah!

Hyrule Warriors ultimately does have a major problem in that its rules are very unclear. I think that's one of the major reasons I've pretty much dropped it; beyond combat and the other essentials, it doesn't explain its rules effectively enough for me to understand what it wants. Like how sometimes defeating an enemy captain will cause enemy troops to flee, but most of the time it won't, and the game never explains or illustrates why. 
  • I am pretty pumped for Supergiant's new game, Pyre. 

Oh hell yes.
  • Controversial(?) opinions: Dragon Age Origins has the worst opening cutscene of any game I've ever played
  • On a semi-related note I find myself comparing a lot of games in terms of writing and mechanical engagement to Kingdom Hearts

Like okay, Kingdom Hearts may have had awkward dialogue, and Mass Effect may have had technically better dialogue, but I never felt the need to skip through KH's talkier scenes because even if the writing isn't great, it IS very efficient and to the point. ME is well written but it's also rather overwritten. Same goes for Dragon Age.

Also KH'S gameplay is all but perfectly suited to its story. I'm still a little iffy on that front when it comes to Dragon Age and Mass Effect.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Nier
  • Eventually, still working through my backlog.
  • Kexruct said:

I never felt the need to skip through KH's talkier scenes because even if the writing isn't great, it IS very efficient and to the point.

Yeah, it's really simple and clean.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    The Myst games do a great job of communicating their story with fairly minimal text and dialogue, but they're minimal all around, save for the visuals.
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    The new Mirror's Edge looks really bad. 

I am disappoint. 

• Haven said:

Kexruct said:

I never felt the need to skip through KH's talkier scenes because even if the writing isn't great, it IS very efficient and to the point.

Yeah, it's really simple and clean.
    HAAAAAAVEN!!!!! *laugh track*

The Myst games do a great job of communicating their story with fairly minimal text and dialogue, but they're minimal all around, save for the visuals.

Kingdom Hearts is far from minimalist. It's just efficiently written.
    I'm not saying it is. I'm just pointing out that in the case I mention, the efficiency is part of a greater aesthetic.
  • (Didn't mean to word that argumentatively, apologies)

Dark Souls
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    doing a minimalist run of Super Metroid

kinda concerned about Mother Brain
  • doing a minimalist run of Super Metroid

kinda concerned about Mother Brain

and her four energy bars worth of damage with the beam?
  • also remember to avoid the "catchup"
    that's the orange fast-fire beam
    ketchup, yes.

Actually, though, I'm more concerned about the first phase, where you MUST use missiles. Because I don't have many of 'em.

In fact, the rest of the game was rather easy to get through with only 5 missiles and 5 super missiles.
    Odradek said:

Dark Souls
    I also mean that in the sense of "no combat."

I like peaceful yet eerie games.
  • Well there is certainly too much blood death kill fuck in the Souls series for it to be peaceful.

Even in Ash Lake, there's that hydra.

Odradek said:

Dark Souls
    I also mean that in the sense of "no combat."

I like peaceful yet eerie games.
    I'd say Shadow of the Colossus but that has combat
    Give me some minimal quiet games with dark undercurrents or general weird vibes. I've already god Yume Nikki and the LSD Dream Emulator on my list, and there's this other game that I saw mentioned briefly in an Extra Credits video that looked super unsettling whose name escapes me which involves a digital clock and a picture with palm trees.
    All right, finished. 27% item collection.

I'm sure it's possible to do better but I'm not that determined
  • Give me some minimal quiet games with dark undercurrents or general weird vibes. I've already god Yume Nikki and the LSD Dream Emulator on my list, and there's this other game that I saw mentioned briefly in an Extra Credits video that looked super unsettling whose name escapes me which involves a digital clock and a picture with palm trees.

The Static Speaks My Name. It's like five minutes long.

everyone should play You Have to Burn the Rope

Give me some minimal quiet games with dark undercurrents or general weird vibes. I've already god Yume Nikki and the LSD Dream Emulator on my list, and there's this other game that I saw mentioned briefly in an Extra Credits video that looked super unsettling whose name escapes me which involves a digital clock and a picture with palm trees.

Knock-Knock
    Kexruct said:

The Static Speaks My Name. It's like five minutes long.

Yes! I will be looking into it.
    Odradek said:

Knock-Knock
    Good.

everyone should play You Have to Burn the Rope

Is it relevant to my interests?
  • everyone should play You Have to Burn the Rope

Is it relevant to my interests?
    are you interested in burning a rope?
    it is relevant to everyone's interests.
  • Give me some minimal quiet games with dark undercurrents or general weird vibes. I've already god Yume Nikki and the LSD Dream Emulator on my list, and there's this other game that I saw mentioned briefly in an Extra Credits video that looked super unsettling whose name escapes me which involves a digital clock and a picture with palm trees.

being a broken record once again, but Submachine