General Video Game Thread

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
    And honestly, Portal. It's a dark comedy, but it's also very sparse, and at times, creepy. 

Portal 2 is more of a straight comedy, though.
    Oh! And Kentucky Route Zero
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    OK, on the list now: Yume Nikki, LSD, The Static Speaks My Name, You Have To Burn The Rope, Submachine, Knock-Knock, Dropsy (because LGR Guy).

Any RPGs where murder/gettin' rekt is not on the agenda yet there is nevertheless a distinct ominous aspect?
  • Not really, to be honest? I'd say very nearly EVERY RPG involves combat
  • I have a few recs for games that are eerie and atmospheric and have good art direction and stuff but, well, video games being what they are most involve combat unfortunately. The only entry I could think to add would be Gone Home.
  • edited 2016-04-24 03:36:10
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Odradek said:

And honestly, Portal. It's a dark comedy, but it's also very sparse, and at times, creepy. 

Portal 2 is more of a straight comedy, though.
    I had a friend who told me about it not too long before it became a big internet thing. It sounds entertaining.
    Odradek said:

Oh! And Kentucky Route Zero

Will look into it.
    Kexruct said:

Not really, to be honest? I'd say very nearly EVERY RPG involves combat

Not helpful. But I'd consider visual novels in the same wheelhouse of "I am a character making a story happen," so if that's easier, go for it.
    Kexruct said:

I have a few recs for games that are eerie and atmospheric and have good art direction and stuff but, well, video games being what they are most involve combat unfortunately. The only entry I could think to add would be Gone Home.

Another I'm interested in!

My main issue is I suck at having to respond to things quickly and my hand-eye coordination is tragic. The beau can attest.
  • Sorry :(

Gimme a minute and I can probably come up with some okay recs.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Metal Slug

Metal Slug

Joke answers like these are why you only play the early Startropics games.

• ketchup, yes.

Actually, though, I'm more concerned about the first phase, where you MUST use missiles. Because I don't have many of 'em.

In fact, the rest of the game was rather easy to get through with only 5 missiles and 5 super missiles.

pretty sure that you can just use charge beam against the first phase
    Tried it. Only missiles work, as far as I can tell.

Anyway, I managed to finish with 27% items. Apparently you can go as low as 14%, but that is not for mere mortal cows like myself.
  • edited 2016-04-24 03:49:40

oh yeah, Crypt Worlds would fit in as atmospheric eerie stuff as well

for eerie visual novels there's one I've stumbled upon called We Know the Devil that was pretty interesting

• There's tons of combat-free RPGMaker games but there's so many of them that it's hard to recommend ones that stand out.

Once you play Yume Nikki I can recommend you a bunch more but it really is best if you play that one first.
  • I would recommend Fallow, but I really can't in good conscience since developer J. Tobin seems to have dropped off the face of the Earth and it may never get finished.
  • Ah! You know one?

The Mirror Lied, if you're looking for your daily dose of "what the hell was that"-ness.
  • Actually hold up when you say "no combat" do you mean nothing that tests your reflexes or just, straight up no fighting
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    You should try To The Moon, as well. It's definitely worth a playthrough no matter who you are. 

Maybe A Bird Story. By the same folks as To The Moon, though I would say it's slightly less good but also more weird, so YMMV. It's really cute, though. 
    Also seconding The Mirror Lied. 
  • ketchup, yes.

Actually, though, I'm more concerned about the first phase, where you MUST use missiles. Because I don't have many of 'em.

In fact, the rest of the game was rather easy to get through with only 5 missiles and 5 super missiles.

pretty sure that you can just use charge beam against the first phase
    oh hahaha i just noticed it's supposed to be "ketchup"

lol game of telephone
  • As far as literally no combat the only things I could think of are Gone Home and the Zero Escape series. Dunno if the latter is your cup of tea, but it is very good.

As for ones I haven't played, you might want to look into Proteus, Firewatch, or Everybody's Gone to the Rapture.

Actually, you might even like Minecraft.
  • Tried it. Only missiles work, as far as I can tell.

Anyway, I managed to finish with 27% items. Apparently you can go as low as 14%, but that is not for mere mortal cows like myself.

also

charge works
  • To The Moon is a strange game that I liked a lot but tends to get very strong reactions in one direction or the other, I know some people who absolutely hate that game.

So that one I second but with perhaps less confidence.

Tried it. Only missiles work, as far as I can tell.

also

charge works
    Charge works against Mom Brain's second form (the standing up one) but not, to my knowledge, against the first (sitting on the pedestal with the glass jar thingy).

Prove me wrong
  • oh you meant THAT thing
  • Jane said:

To The Moon is a strange game that I liked a lot but tends to get very strong reactions in one direction or the other, I know some people who absolutely hate that game.

I'll second it with confidence

oh you meant THAT thing

I did!
  • yeah it looks like it takes about 5 missiles or 5 missiles plus 1 super to break the glass, and then about 12 or 13 supers to drop the brain
  • first brain has 3000 HP so it should take 10 supers at 300 each

the jar itself seems to have a few hundred
    tried it again, got to 19%

go me
  • The new Mirror's Edge looks really bad. 

I am disappoint. 

Polite disagreement.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-04-24 06:50:47
    Kexruct said:

but I never felt the need to skip through KH's talkier scenes because even if the writing isn't great, it IS very efficient and to the point

Are...are we playing the same Kingdom Hearts?

Because the one I'm thinking of had like a three hour prologue with an unskippable hackysack tournament.
  • aren't there like 8 Kingdom Hearts

Kingdom Heartses?

Kingdoms Hearts?
  • clearly one of you is playing Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Mix: Electric Boogaloo: A Prequel In Time: The Unrelenting

and the other is playing Kingdom Hearts 358 Eternities/2
  • I mean don't get me wrong, I love most of the games.  But "efficient and to the point" is not how I'd describe the storytelling.
  • Tre said:

The new Mirror's Edge looks really bad. 

I am disappoint. 

Polite disagreement.
    Elaboration request. 
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Mild curiosity.
  • Bee said:

I mean don't get me wrong, I love most of the games.  But "efficient and to the point" is not how I'd describe the storytelling.

I meant on the level of individual lines of dialogue

In Mass Effect and Dragon Age I skip through dialogue constantly because I read the lines so much faster than they're spoken

I didn't have that problem with Kingdom Hearts.
  • As far as efficiency of storytelling, well

1, CoM, and 2 tell a very complete story on their own and it's really only 2 where bloat sets in and even then there's an identifiable purpose a good portion of the time and most of it "works" on at least some level. People rag on the prologue because, well, it is overlong, but for me at least it served its purpose pretty damn well- its "final days of summer" atmosphere was very affecting when I first played it, and Roxas's morose demeanor and the way he sees his entire reality unraveled is absolutely heartbreaking. It should have been shorter, but it kind of had to feel a bit repetitive IMHO.

358/2 is very important to me in a very personal way. There's the unavoidable issue that it's manufacturing conflict to make a complete story less complete but man. I don't know if I could sum up why I love it and why I think it's so misunderstood in one post.

BBS is irritating. Probably my least favorite in the series, actually.

r:C serves one purpose: Saying to the player "Gee! We sure are in a bind on account of all these new plot threads! Don't worry, Sora will fix it all!" A purpose also served handily by BBS's epilogue. At least it's fun.

3D serves one purpose: Saying to the player "Gee! We sure are in a bind on account of all these new plot threads! Don't worry, Sora will fix it all!" A purpose also served handily by BBS's epilogue. It's also the worst in the series gameplay-wise.

Tre said:

The new Mirror's Edge looks really bad. 

I am disappoint. 

Polite disagreement.
    Elaboration request. 
    I mean, it doesn't look terrible I suppose. I don't like that many missions now FORCE you to fight people - they took away the option of a no-combat run. Many missions now REQUIRE you to fight. I always felt that the ability to avoid combat, to purely run, was a very distinctive part of Mirror's Edge. Combat was always secondary, but now it's forced on the player, limiting your playstyle. 

Based on youtube videos I have watched, it also looks like they've got you traversing the same areas quite often due to the open world aspect. In the original, each area was essentially a puzzle to solve, where that's no longer the case since you already know the answers. I don't think this is a game that benefits from being open world - it's better for each level to be specifically designed. You're on rails regardless (big YOU ARE LEAVING THE AREA OF THIS MISSION warning) to some extent, so it's not really an exploration game, per se, especially since there aren't things like cool items and whatnot to find. Some easter eggs maybe, but eh. 

I also think it's very silly that there's an ability tree in the new Mirror's Edge. The gameplay should be very fluid and free-form. Things that make your running more fluid shouldn't be locked away. You can't even do a roll after a high jump at the beginning, which is a pretty basic thing. Mirror's Edge always excelled at letting the player have their head where gameplay is concerned, and this sort of... makes it choppier. 

It's like they flipped where the freedom is. They took away full freedom of gameplay to instead give you an open world, which isn't even that great in this sort of game. 

More of a personal thing that's subjective, but I also feel like they made the overall aesthetic a little more... overdone than it needs to be. Too many yellows, not enough pure whites. Comparing the two openers kind of defines what I'm talking about wrt aesthetic. Original Mirror's Edge. Everything is simple, clean. It's you and the city. You are a bird who floats across the top. Basic whites, strong colours, contrast. Annnnnd I couldn't find Catalyst's opening on youtube (last time I watched it, it was in the middle of someone-who-I-can't-remember's video), but the gameplay sort of shows it in other videos. The new opener is much busier - it's not you and the city, it's CITY CITY CITY YAY. Yeah, the original aesthetic is still there, but I feel like it's a bit more muted than it used to be. It's more Generic Utopia than it is Alien Utopia, if that makes sense? Either way, I'm aware this is very nit-picky, but game art style is something that is important in a game to me. 

That all being said, I'm sure it'll still be a fun game, but they got rid of some of the core things that really appealed to me. 
    SF_Sorrow said:

oh yeah, Crypt Worlds would fit in as atmospheric eerie stuff as well

for eerie visual novels there's one I've stumbled upon called We Know the Devil that was pretty interesting

Jane said:

I would recommend Fallow, but I really can't in good conscience since developer J. Tobin seems to have dropped off the face of the Earth and it may never get finished.

Jane said:

Ah! You know one?

The Mirror Lied, if you're looking for your daily dose of "what the hell was that"-ness.
    Noted!
    Kexruct said:

Actually hold up when you say "no combat" do you mean nothing that tests your reflexes or just, straight up no fighting

Either/both. I'd prefer a minimum of fighting period, but I'm OK with low reflex requirements.

That said, part of my enjoyment of Undertale came from my aesthetic appreciation of danmaku games, even if I am awful at them. So *interesting* combat that isn't ludicrously hard is fine, too. Preferably flat-out weird/unique combat, so long as it's not wildly counterintuitive.

Also: Text adventures, y'all. So down for those if the writing's good.
    Kexruct said:

As far as literally no combat the only things I could think of are Gone Home and the Zero Escape series. Dunno if the latter is your cup of tea, but it is very good.

As for ones I haven't played, you might want to look into Proteus, Firewatch, or Everybody's Gone to the Rapture.

Actually, you might even like Minecraft.

Jane said:

To The Moon is a strange game that I liked a lot but tends to get very strong reactions in one direction or the other, I know some people who absolutely hate that game.

Jane said:

I'll second it with confidence
    Further noted.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I can also third Gone Home, Firewatch, and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, and what Jane said for To The Moon (but I quite enjoyed it).
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-04-24 20:18:26
    I...kind of liked Dream Drop Distance.  More than 358/2 at least.  358/2 was just a ton of filler and grinding down overlong HP bars.  I remember going through all the bonus missions, finding the secret stuff, fusing weapons, cramming all the panels and multipliers my grid would allow, and still not being able to do more than 1HP to most enemies with anything other than your non-renewable magic.

Dream Drop Distance's main problem was that the bosses just straight-up had no openings.  Every other game in the series you could counter or do something to stagger them, and then get in a good combo.  These bosses...didn't.  They just spam attacked and all you could really do was run away spamming balloons and homing fire.

I feel like DDD is probably the strongest outside of the main games, but it is in spite of its self-imposed issues.
  • SF_Sorrow said:

so I stayed up all night completing this game, and yeah, I definitely would recommend it to everyone, if they're interested to see a particularly allegorical and esoteric take on the Queer Experience that's still really sympathetic and relatable - and a neat dark ambient soundtrack to boot, it'd be right up your alley Sredni

the true ending also really hits my favorable buttons in the best way :')
  • do phantasy star 2 through 4 star alis landale?
    no.
    although PS4 (the best one) does have a character named Alys.
  • we need to come up with a different abbreviation for playstation so it makes room for "PS" meaning phantasy star

well unless we use PhS for phantasy star i guess