General Video Game Thread

Comments

• Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    SF_Sorrow said:

SF_Sorrow said:

for eerie visual novels there's one I've stumbled upon called We Know the Devil that was pretty interesting

so I stayed up all night completing this game, and yeah, I definitely would recommend it to everyone, if they're interested to see a particularly allegorical and esoteric take on the Queer Experience that's still really sympathetic and relatable - and a neat dark ambient soundtrack to boot, it'd be right up your alley Sredni

the true ending also really hits my favorable buttons in the best way :')
    This I can also back, though I have not finished reading it.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.

we need to come up with a different abbreviation for playstation so it makes room for "PS" meaning phantasy star

well unless we use PhS for phantasy star i guess

the playstation never happened anyway
  • but then phantasy star is better than playstation because it came earlier and it didn't use stupid hardcore gamer advertising to get famous so playstation is automatically less favorable than phantasy star and thus it doesn't deserve the more general abbreviation so we will call that PlS
  • edited 2016-04-24 20:32:24
    in conclusion fuck hardcore gamers and advertising playing to gender stereotypes of hardcore gaming

wait, i forgot where i''m going with this
    the Playstation was going to be a collaboration between Nintendo and Sony, but for whatever reason it fell through and never happened. The end
  • My dreams exceed my real life

Tre said:

The new Mirror's Edge looks really bad. 

I am disappoint. 

Polite disagreement.
    Elaboration request. 
    I mean, it doesn't look terrible I suppose. I don't like that many missions now FORCE you to fight people - they took away the option of a no-combat run. Many missions now REQUIRE you to fight. I always felt that the ability to avoid combat, to purely run, was a very distinctive part of Mirror's Edge. Combat was always secondary, but now it's forced on the player, limiting your playstyle. 

Based on youtube videos I have watched, it also looks like they've got you traversing the same areas quite often due to the open world aspect. In the original, each area was essentially a puzzle to solve, where that's no longer the case since you already know the answers. I don't think this is a game that benefits from being open world - it's better for each level to be specifically designed. You're on rails regardless (big YOU ARE LEAVING THE AREA OF THIS MISSION warning) to some extent, so it's not really an exploration game, per se, especially since there aren't things like cool items and whatnot to find. Some easter eggs maybe, but eh. 

I also think it's very silly that there's an ability tree in the new Mirror's Edge. The gameplay should be very fluid and free-form. Things that make your running more fluid shouldn't be locked away. You can't even do a roll after a high jump at the beginning, which is a pretty basic thing. Mirror's Edge always excelled at letting the player have their head where gameplay is concerned, and this sort of... makes it choppier. 

It's like they flipped where the freedom is. They took away full freedom of gameplay to instead give you an open world, which isn't even that great in this sort of game. 

More of a personal thing that's subjective, but I also feel like they made the overall aesthetic a little more... overdone than it needs to be. Too many yellows, not enough pure whites. Comparing the two openers kind of defines what I'm talking about wrt aesthetic. Original Mirror's Edge. Everything is simple, clean. It's you and the city. You are a bird who floats across the top. Basic whites, strong colours, contrast. Annnnnd I couldn't find Catalyst's opening on youtube (last time I watched it, it was in the middle of someone-who-I-can't-remember's video), but the gameplay sort of shows it in other videos. The new opener is much busier - it's not you and the city, it's CITY CITY CITY YAY. Yeah, the original aesthetic is still there, but I feel like it's a bit more muted than it used to be. It's more Generic Utopia than it is Alien Utopia, if that makes sense? Either way, I'm aware this is very nit-picky, but game art style is something that is important in a game to me. 

That all being said, I'm sure it'll still be a fun game, but they got rid of some of the core things that really appealed to me. 
    Oh, it got Ubisofted
    SPOILERS
  • I've got some bad news for you about Final Fantasy 7, too.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

the Playstation was going to be a collaboration between Nintendo and Sony, but for whatever reason it fell through and never happened. The end

Sony wanted to retain control over the disc format they were using, Nintendo didn't want them to, and decided to negotiate a deal with Philips without telling Sony. Sony announced the Play Station, and the day after that Nintendo announced the Philips deal, which Sony weren't exactly too happy about.
  • edited 2016-04-24 20:56:48

Philips CD-i.  The end
    so Nintendo dropped Sony in order to create the legendary Philips CD-i.

Good idea, guys.
  • https://plug-in-digital.itch.io/chronicles-of-teddy

okay fine i'll only wait for -50%

because i really want this game
  • edited 2016-04-24 21:03:58
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Yamauchi was very much the traditional Japanese businessman, incredibly stubborn. Hence cartridges for the N64.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-04-24 21:06:53

do phantasy star 2 through 4 star alis landale?

Already been answered, but for the record you might just want to skip straight to 4.  Phantasy Star 2 and 3 are even blander than 1, and nearly as bad about requiring event flags/items nobody tells you about.
  • > comment on a Steam thread asking for a free weekend for GTA V
    > thread moved to GTA V forum

> comment on a Steam thread about a "10 year veteran badge"
    > thread moved to CS:GO forum

oh well now i have participation records in both
  • edited 2016-04-24 21:12:59
    why do people like the aesthetic of csgo anyway

it's ugly as sin, the whole "ugh ugh ugh ski mask im a terrorist with a ridiculous-looking gun and ridiculous-looking knife who's gonna shoot you from across the map boom headshot pwned muthafucka im so badass" look

yeah yeah yeah someone else is gonna say the same thing about cute anime girls or bright and colorful pixel art

good, let's have a flamewar

dramatic music please
    Well that's patronizing.
  • > They have destroyed the market completely, less than 20% of Steam' users
    are using a mobile authenicator and even less are using it on Steam so
    basically noone can use the market anymore

oh

good

moreincrediblydumbbait.txt
  • why have i played like ten games of minesweeper in a row
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-04-24 22:16:07
    We've talked about the Steam Market restrictions before and my position hasn't really changed.  I don't have a smartphone, even if I did their authentication has been known to hose people's accounts thusly (which fucks you over badly enough to require admin action), and I'd still be screwed if I had a Windows phone.

Even then, the only thing I use the market for is selling trading cards that have long since price-crashed but that I have no interest in collecting.  Between Steam taking its cut of the market sale and the cost of the text to authenticate, I'd actually be losing money -- in a really insidious way, because the cost doesn't show up until your phone bill weeks later long after you've forgotten that you even used a text.
  • yeah, i'm basically just gravedancing on the market
  • I'm a hardcore gamer. We will duel with pistols at dawn.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    SF_Sorrow said:

SF_Sorrow said:

for eerie visual novels there's one I've stumbled upon called We Know the Devil that was pretty interesting

so I stayed up all night completing this game, and yeah, I definitely would recommend it to everyone, if they're interested to see a particularly allegorical and esoteric take on the Queer Experience that's still really sympathetic and relatable - and a neat dark ambient soundtrack to boot, it'd be right up your alley Sredni

Crystal said:

SF_Sorrow said:

SF_Sorrow said:

This I can also back, though I have not finished reading it.
    Definitely noted! 83
  • we need to come up with a different abbreviation for playstation so it makes room for "PS" meaning phantasy star

Call me a nut, but wouldn't a console take priority over individual series in such a case? Not that the two can't coexist, because they can. This just seems like a case of individual preference getting in the way of practicality.

Regarding Mirror's Edge: I personally don't really mind the changes that we've seen of Catalyst thus far. The concept of going through the same areas to get to story bits at the very least has the benefit of allowing the player to learn the most effective way to get through said areas, which in turn will allow them to apply the strategies they've developed in the context of the actual plot.

I agree that limiting the moves to a level below what Faith was capable of in the original is stupid, but conversely, the RPG-style progression does give you incentive to try to work toward new skills, something that could admittedly prove meaningful if the game ends up being a longer experience than its predecessor (which, generally speaking, it's looking like it's going to be).

Aesthetically, I wouldn't change much about the approach they went with. It is a bit more over-the-top, yes, but it's a triple-A game in the PS4 generation so that's almost a given; considering that despite that it still pretty much looks like what you would expect Mirror's Edge to look like, I see no point in complaining.

Again, maybe I'm a nut. I really want Catalyst to be good, I've been waiting for it for a really long time and it's a strong reminder that sometimes a good game doesn't necessarily have to be the biggest seller to get a second chance.
  • edited 2016-04-24 23:07:44
    Tre said:

we need to come up with a different abbreviation for playstation so it makes room for "PS" meaning phantasy star

Call me a nut, but wouldn't a console take priority over individual series in such a case? Not that the two can't coexist, because they can. This just seems like a case of individual preference getting in the way of practicality.
    i'm just being silly
    TitleName said:

I'm a hardcore gamer. We will duel with pistols at dawn.

engineer only, stock only, plr_hightower
  • No animu, Fox only
  • TitleName said:

No animu, Fox only

it's never dawn on final destination
  • edited 2016-04-25 02:01:12
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    "Gonner is Spelunky meets Nuclear Throne. No really, it is."

• BeeBee
    edited 2016-04-27 05:54:09
    Everyone unlocked in Hyrule Warriors.  The gauntlet of maps leading up to Young Link was kinda brutal, and Cia is the most helpless thing I've ever seen, goddamn.  Doesn't stop her from running off to confront bosses alone and literally dying in the twenty seconds it takes to run to the adjacent keep and insta-cap it with fairy magic for a chest.

And then when I finally win the map with over 2000 kills accumulated from running back and forth between doing useful things like stopping Manhandla bombardments and rescuing her dainty ass from bulblin trash mobs halfway across the map, she's like "now you know MY power"

Fuck you Cia
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i was not really a fan of Cia, but i loved the design of the Temple of Souls

like, she's basically an evil Link fangirl

statues and pictures of him everywhere

it's both cool and unsettling, which i think is what they were going for
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-04-28 01:48:15
    She's a cosmically-powered eldritch time goddess who turned into a completely batshit husbando thief.  The whole game is basically what happens when you use reality itself as your medium for trashy self-insert fanfiction.  It's kind of amazing.

I don't really have any problem with Cia in most cases, but her constant laugh is a bit annoying when you have to play as her, and in those last few Adventure missions leading up to Young Link she was a friggen lead weight.
    ...time goddess?

Imi likes
  • LWLW
    edited 2016-04-28 03:09:01

I forgot how good this was. Bravely Default really has a great soundtrack.
  • The demo for Nioh has been out for a day or two now. It's a super interesting game, but the learning curve is pretty steep. It's basically Dark Souls via 17th century Japan and associated mythology, but with more technical combat, including stance fighter mechanics and more intense "Ki" (stamina) management. 

It's the "Ki pulse" mechanic that really separates this game from other Souslike games. Your Ki will deplete as you attack, evade, and block, but you can get a partial Ki refund from your attacks. Press R1 as your red Ki (from depletion) goes white and you'll return to stance and regain however much Ki went white. This allows you to chain attacks for quite a while, especially since the Ki pulse is a safe technique against a staggered opponent, or one that has been drained of their own Ki. 

That's another thing; when locked on, you can see opponents' Ki bars, and there are approaches and techniques in the game designed to deplete it. So Ki depletion is often a strong strategy against tougher opponents; harass them with Ki depleting techniques, then go into high stance and wallop them once they're vulnerable. 

Nioh is pretty difficult, but once you have the hang of it, it's a really super excellent swordfighting game. Looking forward to the full release. 
  • Three of six areas completed in A Witch's Tale.

It's amazing how much gaming I can get done when I subconsciously desire very strongly to procrastinate.
  • Bravely Default really did have amazing music.

• It's now four of six!
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-04-28 07:56:13
    I'm really enjoying Zelda, Ruto, and Midna.  They're all really, really awkward to get used to because they have weird combo rhythms and on the surface the game encourages more direct playstyles than that, but once you do they're amazing at key niches.  Zelda demolishes bosses, Midna's really good at killing captains and characters because she can pop them into the air from behind to bypass their guard, Ruto is ideal for defensive missions because she builds up so many kinds of AOE specials so quickly and can easily lock down 5-6 captains at once, and all of them can take keeps almost as quickly as Link's spin spam.
  • Ruto is one of my favorites. Her VI is really good as both a sweeper and a boss killer (good luck doing anything when you're like 30 feet in the air), and her strong attack is one of the most useful.

Midna's good, but Twili Midna is just ridiculous. That giant laser cannon might be the most excessive thing in the entire game, and I love it.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-04-28 08:07:18
    I cackled so hard when I first played Twili Midna in Linkle's mission.  Fuckin' beelined to her in the Adventure map.  Been swatting dudes with bridges ever since.

I feel like I'd use the laser cannon more if it wasn't aimed so darn high.  It's good for bosses and not much else.  It's really sad.  I want to use it more because giant laser cannon.
  • edited 2016-04-28 10:07:44
    I have a confession to make.

I never beat Bravely Default. I was starting the 1st world loop (mid-game) and then my save data got corrupted, so I got fed up and read the rest of the plot on the Internet. :^)
  • And it's now 5 of 6!

I should really stop.

Good night morning.
  • Alduin said:

I have a confession to make.

I never beat Bravely Default. I was starting the 1st world loop (mid-game) and then my save data got corrupted, so I got fed up and read the rest of the plot on the Internet. :^)
    I don't think I even got halfway through the first campaign.

My younger brother, who is 11, beat it like eight times though.
  • I never actually beat Bravely Default either.  I got up through the bonus boss and boss rush in the final loop, then stopped because...reasons?  I dunno really.  I need to finish it off before picking up Bravely Second.
  • If a Steam key (re)seller sells you insurance to make sure the key you buy from them is legit, that's a dead giveaway that that seller is dealing in fraudulent keys.

Keys generated by a dev for their own game are always legit.  Devs can give these keys to legit key sellers like Humble or Gala.

Non-legit key sellers get their keys from scamming devs to get review copies, lowballing bundles, wrong-region keys, pools of keys some of which might be used, so on and so forth.  That's why you shouldn't buy from them.  Even if they offer purchase insurance -- on something that shouldn't need insurance in the first place.
  • I don't think anyone here is in danger of falling for a keyfishing scheme.
  • edited 2016-04-29 08:26:19
    Nah, just polishing my message.

Also I have a habit of saying things to the wind.