The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• The important details of the Resurrection are neither provable nor disprovable and I would need to see very convincing evidence from anyone who believes otherwise. 

I'm not really sure if Christianity and Mithraism are directly comparable. They're both very different.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Odradek said:
    The loose movement they grew out of are kind of fascinating in themselves. The Ranters, if any sources of the time can be trusted, were basically pantheist anarchists; and their precursors, the Brethren of the Free Spirit, were definitely that and basically Gnostics to boot.
    Odradek said:

I don't know about the Resurrection but the details the Bible gives for how they got Jesus's body entombed are plausible. The Romans usually let bodies rot away on crosses, but because the Jews had a particular horror of dying without a proper burial,  the Romans would occasionally let someone's body off the cross if a particularly influential Jew requested it, in order to avoid rioting.

According to the New Testament, Jesus's burial was arranged by Nicodemus, a member of the Sanhedrin who was sympathetic to Jesus's teachings.
    Which also makes the aforementioned belief that he was smuggled out alive by his most loyal followers perfectly plausible. Again, the crazy French neo-royalists were not the first to propose this. There are Muslims in Central Asia who claim that Jesus went through there to this day.
  • My dreams exceed my real life

Odradek said:
    The loose movement they grew out of are kind of fascinating in themselves. The Ranters, if any sources of the time can be trusted, were basically pantheist anarchists; and their precursors, the Brethren of the Free Spirit, were definitely that and basically Gnostics to boot.
    Odradek said:

I don't know about the Resurrection but the details the Bible gives for how they got Jesus's body entombed are plausible. The Romans usually let bodies rot away on crosses, but because the Jews had a particular horror of dying without a proper burial,  the Romans would occasionally let someone's body off the cross if a particularly influential Jew requested it, in order to avoid rioting.

According to the New Testament, Jesus's burial was arranged by Nicodemus, a member of the Sanhedrin who was sympathetic to Jesus's teachings.
    Which also makes the aforementioned belief that he was smuggled out alive by his most loyal followers perfectly plausible. Again, the crazy French neo-royalists were not the first to propose this. There are Muslims in Central Asia who claim that Jesus went through there to this day.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shingō,_Aomori
  • kill living beings
    yesterday i found out that the first christian church in japan had a name meaning "Southern Barbarian Temple" or summat

it's zen now
    Odradek said:

Odradek said:
    Odradek said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shingō,_Aomori
    I was thinking of this place in Kashmir, but that's also weirdly fascinating.

This is such a useful chart.
    And now I want to take a Persian history course. This is so cool.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)

And now I want to take a Persian history course. This is so cool.

• Odradek said:

Also the Jews had a LOT of would-be messiahs around the time. Like a lot, a lot.

Actually only, like, a dozen.
  • kill living beings
    that is over a thousand percent more messiahs than i have
  • That's not true. America had tons of would-be messiahs in the 70s.
    America has way more people and way better communication. The fact that we can name more than four or five messiah candidates in turn-of-the-millennium Judaea says something about the times.
    Israel also much smaller than the USA
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    your 64-bit files are in system32

your 32-bit files are in syswow64

just sayin'
    (2015 self)
    You know how people say John Lennon's "Bigger than Jesus" quote was taken out of context?

It's not all that different in context.
    Aliroz said:

You know how people say John Lennon's "Bigger than Jesus" quote was taken out of context?

It's not all that different in context.
    And yet nobody got angry at the Fad 3 when they said they'd been photographed more often than Jesus!

#DoubleStandard
  • kill living beings
    haha, yeah
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Kono Subarashii just reminds me of Subararashii Kono Sekai.
  • !!!

glasses are what is best in life
  • edited 2016-03-30 22:10:11
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I'd rather wear contacts except those can be a bother from what I've seen. They can look nice though.
  • as i see it, glasses are a unique opportunity to have a thing that you can wear all the time that:

1. helps flatter your face

2. showcases your personality

3. possibly led you a more intellectual air

i love them so much, if i were less impecunious i would own TONS
  • kill living beings
    I don't know. Just to piss me off

as i see it, glasses are a unique opportunity to have a thing that you can wear all the time that:

1. helps flatter your face

2. showcases your personality

3. possibly led you a more intellectual air

i love them so much, if i were less impecunious i would own TONS
    I can get behind all of that, just not constantly adjusting them which is annoying.
  • if you are constantly adjusting them, then they are probably not the right size
  • edited 2016-03-31 00:47:56
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)

if you are constantly adjusting them, then they are probably not the right size

Point. Still happens, even if subtlely, even when I've gotten them adjusted though.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    For me, it generally works like this: I get a new pair of glasses, have them properly fitted before I leave the store...then after I wear them a week or two, they start to get "broken in" and loosen up a little and I have to go back to the store to have them fitted again.
    TIL my Classical Political Theory teacher was taught by Hannah Arendt
  • my mom had Edward Coen, father of the Coen brothers, as an Econ professor
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    One of my professors was Hitler
    I have to ask: what is that from?

I have to ask: what is that from?

Danger 5

That is the fakest-looking school exterior I have ever seen
    Johnny Hitler is a total tryhard and doesn't know when to give up on a girl. Shaking my head.
    Some drink coffee
    Some people drink tea
    I enjoy toffee
    Marx was no POC!
  • edited 2016-03-31 02:02:02
    My dreams exceed my real life
    in b4 SA forums poster TheTriumphant writes a 50 page dossier criticizing my meter
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Odradek said:

in b4 SA forums poster writes a 50 page dossier criticizing my meter

do goons like to read HH or something
    Anonus said:

Odradek said:

in b4 SA forums poster writes a 50 page dossier criticizing my meter

do goons like to read HH or something
    No it was a joke about TheTriumphant
  • edited 2016-03-31 02:07:12
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    There are twelve deer in twenty feet of me.

I mean, I've seen forty in the fields adjascent to the lawn, but man, this is a small herd right outside thewindow.

Two of them are eating at the garden just below the porch, I can see a really fluffy juvenile with a radio collar, a yellow tag, and tiny antlers that might be the one that I saw born in my lawn a couple years ago.  Dude's eating the roses.
    Wow
    (2015 self)
    Like, usually the deer stay at least ten feet away from the house in the day.  They usually only eat our gardens at night.  Must be a bad year for them, to be this bold (it's still snowing, spring hasn't come yet.)
  • kill living beings
    laying out posters sucks almost as much as writing