The Trash Heap of the Heapers' Hangout

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
    Tachyon said:

wait, did that thing about Aaron Burr actually happen?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burr_conspiracy
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    weird
    have there been any alternate history novels based on this?
    Not as far as I know.
    hm

seems like a missed opportunity
    Most AU America stories are about the Civil War as the diversion point, which I guess makes sense as a big thing that could have gone different ways, but it's really overused and often involves weird confederate apologia.
    that's disappointing, but not that surprising tbh

i have actually only ever read one alt history that i can recall, "The Years of Rice and Salt"

it was good, i think?  but it seemed a little too close to what actually happened, i feel like it should have diverged some more
  • Tachyon said:

I remember how blasted I was when I found out about this in a book that Ali recommended to me.
    i actually can remember frustratingly little about it

it wasn't a straight alt history, it was like a series of little vignettes linked by the premise that these two characters are being reincarnated at different times as different people
  • edited 2016-03-25 14:44:27
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

Tachyon said:

I remember how blasted I was when I found out about this in a book that Ali recommended to me.
    it sounds to me like something out of a conspiracy novel

but like, a parody one

see also Emperor Norton
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Remember how Margaret Thatcher's son tried to organise a coup of Equatorial Guinea?
  • edited 2016-03-25 14:45:26
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    the world is a strange place
    In the Election of 1800, pro-Jefferson newspapers accused John Adams of wanting to marry his daughter into English royalty and start a new American monarchy with him as patriarch.
    the tyranny of king washington
    They found the USS Conestoga.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

In the Election of 1800, pro-Jefferson newspapers accused John Adams of wanting to marry his daughter into English royalty and start a new American monarchy with him as patriarch.

To be fair, Adams also signed that Alien and Sedition Acts, so it's not *that* much of a stretch.

To be fair, Adams also signed that Alien and Sedition Acts, so it's not *that* much of a stretch.
    Also he didn't win so we shall never know.

I like the sly reference to George III's eventual insanity
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    First thing, kill all the storytellers.  We don't need their lies of things that never were and never can be.

Second thing, buckle my shoe

Third thing, destroy all decoration, all embroidery.  A thing's form should be only what is sufficient for its purpose.

Fourth thing, standardize all measurements into a decimalized system.  Because culture and individuality are dumb.

Fifth thing, destroy all cities and rebuild them with a grid system.  All roads should either run north-south or east-west.  London is just embarrassing, and Jamaica is unacceptable.

Sixth thing, do a little dance.  Make a little love.  Get down tonight, get down tonight.

Seventh thing:  institute mandatory arm fart education, our children are losing the skills of our forefathers.

Eigth thing:  Close the gate.

Ninth and ten:  Do it again!

Eleven:   increase the work to 16 hours a day.  Think of what could be accomplished.

Twelve:  Little ladybugs at the ladybug pic-a-nick.

Thirteen:  Make all buildings have only 12 floors, so as to make it so we don't need 1300-foot ladders to get to the 130th floor.

Fourteen:  make bridges between buildings so peopel don't have to go on the ground anymore.

Sixteen:  Abolish the cursed and un-nameable number.

Seventeen:  A council of teenage girls must approve every executive decision.
    Aliroz said:

First thing, kill all the storytellers.  We don't need their lies of things that never were and never can be.

Third thing, destroy all decoration, all embroidery.  A thing's form should be only what is sufficient for its purpose.

Fourth thing, standardize all measurements into a decimalized system.  Because culture and individuality are dumb.

Fifth thing, destroy all cities and rebuild them with a grid system.  All roads should either run north-south or east-west.  London is just embarrassing, and Jamaica is unacceptable.

Sixth thing, do a little dance.  Make a little love.  Get down tonight, get down tonight.

Seventh thing:  institute mandatory arm fart education, our children are losing the skills of our forefathers.

Eleven:   increase the work to 16 hours a day.  Think of what could be accomplished.

Thirteen:  Make all buildings have only 12 floors, so as to make it so we don't need 1300-foot ladders to get to the 130th floor.

Fourteen:  make bridges between buildings so peopel don't have to go on the ground anymore.

/Plato
  • Aliroz said:

Jamaica with a grid system would be

Grmrmrmrrmrmrmrm

There would be complaints
  • Though honestly, destroying the whole city system and rebuilding it might be better than waiting for the existing government to fix all the bloody potholes
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)

I like the sly reference to George III's eventual insanity

To be fair to George III, well, they tried to deal with his health issues by giving him arsenic and (judging from hair samples) mercury as well. 

They also tried to fix his diseases that gave him sores by boiling tea and putting the superheated tea pot on the sores so as to burn the pestilence away, and then being surprised when that ended up giving him massive sores.

I don't know how anyone didn't go crazy by the end of their days back then.
  • kill living beings
    easy, they couldn't afford doctors
  • edited 2016-03-25 16:33:05
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    (2015 self)
    His son, played by Hugh Laurie in Blackadder the Third
    Mania, or harmful euphoria, is at one end of a spectrum of mood disorders, with sadness, or depression, at the other.
    "Sadness".
  • Fucks sake

I fucking hate migraines

Fuckkkkkkkkk
  • kill living beings
    agner's open ISA is really complicated
  • Sand is a naturally occurring granular material composed of finely divided rock and mineral particles. It is defined by size, being finer than gravel and coarser than silt. Sand can also refer to a textural class of soil or soil type; i.e. a soil containing more than 85% sand-sized particles (by mass).

The composition of sand varies, depending on the local rock sources and conditions, but the most common constituent of sand in inland continental settings and non-tropical coastal settings is silica (silicon dioxide, or SiO2), usually in the form of quartz. The second most common type of sand is calcium carbonate, for example aragonite, which has mostly been created, over the past half billion years, by various forms of life, like coral and shellfish. It is, for example, the primary form of sand apparent in areas where reefs have dominated the ecosystem for millions of years like the Caribbean.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    why does everything have to be a hashtag these days
  • edited 2016-03-25 19:46:09
    image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    #hashtaglavista
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    #based

#KillPeople

#wherewereuin92

#NotAllCockroaches
  • TreTre
    edited 2016-03-25 20:17:31

so i had this dream that all cis men had cow udders on their bellies, and rami malek was my boyfriend, and he produced the sweetest milk in the world and was renowned for it

but! he was nonbinary, and he wanted to get his udders removed, and i supported my nonbinary boyfriend rami malek wholeheartedly and held his hand when he awoke, udderless like a cis woman

• Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Beaut.
  • I'm going to have to disagree with you Aliroz, the comments on Hamilton are wonderful

"My sweet, submissive subject."

Great, now I have to kinkshame King George.
  • Tachyon said:

Tachyon said:

it sounds to me like something out of a conspiracy novel

but like, a parody one

see also Emperor Norton
    Emperor Norton wasn't crazy he was just from a universe where he actually was the Emperor of The United States.
  • Anonus said:

why does everything have to be a hashtag these days

two of my three younger brothers say "hashtag [whatever]" out loud and so do several of their classmates and I think this is the first sign that I'm kind of getting old because I cannot stand it.
  • edited 2016-03-25 21:20:02
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I only say "hashtag" aloud when I feel like irritating my sister.

Incidentally, my baby sister is now old enough to go to prom. Time is weird.

I only say "hashtag" aloud when I feel like irritating my sister.

Incidentally, my baby sister is now old enough to go to prom. Time is weird.

*Imi bursts in*
    On the bright side my little brothers love Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, so I get to say they are into something that is way before my time.
  • kill living beings
    Why the fuck

is a restaurant
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

On the bright side my little brothers love Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, so I get to say they are into something that is way before my time.

Felix the Cat and Woody Woodpecker weep with jealousy
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Tre said:

so i had this dream that all cis men had cow udders on their bellies, and rami malek was my boyfriend, and he produced the sweetest milk in the world and was renowned for it

but! he was nonbinary, and he wanted to get his udders removed, and i supported my nonbinary boyfriend rami malek wholeheartedly and held his hand when he awoke, udderless like a cis woman

*bursts in* HOLY FUCK WHAT